Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Look at History is making in Tigray Region

Ethiopia to discuss historic obelisk re-erection with UNESCO
Thursday July 28th, 2005 00:16.

ADDIS ABABA, July 27, 2005 (Xinhua) -- An Ethiopian delegation left for France on Wednesday to discuss ways of re-erecting the historic Axum obelisk with the United Nations.

The Axum obelisk, weighing 160 tons and standing 24 meters high, is around 1,700 years old and has become a symbol of the Ethiopian people's identity. In 1937, the invaders of fascist Italy dismantled and took it on the orders of Benito Mussolini. Italy returned the monument to the northern ancient town of Axum in April.

The delegation, led by Minister of Culture Teshome Toga, left for the headquarters of UNESCO to discuss studies conducted by Ethiopia and the organization concerning the re-erection of the obelisk as well as to set a timeframe for the re-erection.

He said the delegation will return with a specific timetable for the archeological studies and other necessary preparations.

"The re-erection of the obelisk should be done safely," he said, adding that Ethiopia has been jointly working with UNESCO on the re-erection site.

In addition to efforts exerted for the return of its heritage, Ethiopia has conducted archeological, basement studies as well as other preparations needed for the re-erection of the obelisk, according to the minister.

Teshome said the government believes that it would be useful to engage the company that transported the obelisk from Rome and the consultant company in the re-erection process.

He said the Italian government will cover the cost needed for the re-erection of the obelisk.

Following the signing of two agreements by Italy and Ethiopia, in 1956 and 1997, Ethiopia formed a national committee for the return of the obelisk.

Ethiopia is one of the oldest continuous civilizations in the world. The first known civilization in Ethiopia was that of the mighty Aksumite Kingdom.

Having established itself in 1,000 BC, in northern Ethiopia, it eventually spread over all of northern and even central Ethiopia. The ancient city of Axum, which was started by the Aksumites, was Ethiopia's first capital city.

Email: shirdons@yahoo.com

City: Washington DC

Re: Look at History is making in Tigray Region

We Ethiopians from Tigre Province hereby make our intention clear that we don't need a day longer here after the so called TPLF which in actual fact consists of bunch of lwaless genocidal thugs. Those TPLF guys commiting attrocities in our name do not represent us. We have NOT elected them
Signed hereinabove by three million ethiopians from Tigre province

Email: AA@yahoo.com

City: Addis

Abraha Sibhat G/egziabher

Are telling us you have over control of Tigrians from comfort of Ereopian countries?

I kindly request correction be made:-

Abraha Sibhat G/egziabher

Are telling us you have over control of Tigrians from comfort of Ereopian countries?

Correction:- Are you telling us you have full control over the people of Tigray from the comfort of Eropean Countries?

Geberemenamen,

You do not need to send correction. No one is reading you any way. So why bother. How is Mulugeta doing?

Mamo Qilo

Selam Aster

WOW! I dont know what to say Aster. It does not sound like the same EPRP that I knew more than two decades ago. I also knew Mekonnen Shegene; I can attest to his intelligence, hard work and courage. As a child, his mobility was limited because an accident which resulted in the loss of one of his legs and one of his arms. One had to be extraordinarily tough to overcome the challenges and then succeed in a way he did. I had no idea that he was gunned down by EPRP.

If these things are true… well, better yet, it could not be true. In fairness to Aster, I have my own issues with current EPRP and its tabloid approach for politics. Comparing it with Derg or Meison is way out of line. I think you should recant some of the statements you made about it.

Regardless, with Love!

YILMA!

IF YOU MEANT MEKONEN SHEGENE THE ONE WHO WAS DIRECTOR OF MINILIK SECONDARY SCOOL, YES HE WAS GUNNED DOWN BY EPRP AT THE CORRIDOR OF THE SCHOOL. THE NEWS WAS DISTRIBUTED AMONGEST THE STUDENTS WITHIN MINUTES.

Selam G/S

Yes that is the one. He was my director during my senior years at Menellik II. He was one tough fellow who never stopped from asking for more excellence from his students.

Are you sure that he was gunned down by EPRP?

Thanks

yes, yes, yes, Dr. Mekonnen Shegene was brutally gunned down by EPRP. He was in the service of his nation ONLY with one hand and one leg. He was a great guy. He graduated from Harvard with honor.

Email: astuka@yahoo.com

Netsanet:
It is NOT a question of liking or hating EPRP. It is NOT at all. You are way way off the mark. If you excuse me, what you said is bluntly spoken very stupid and ****tttttttttttt. I told you what EPRP did when it was active in the 1970s. I told you how many doctors, professors, highly learnt scholars and ordinary citizens were brutally executed and slughtered in a broad day light by EPRP. I told you about the 16 years old disabled boy hanged by EPRP scoundrels in the school compound. I told you about Dr. Mekonnen Shegene who was executed in a broad day light by EPRP mercenary thugs. I tried to convince you that EPRP was full of lawless genocidal thugs. I think I made a hard exercise to let you see the truth full face. After all these effort of mine, you come and say, "You hate EPRP". This is utterly nonsense. This is totally rubbish. It exposes what type of silly woman/girl you are. It is NOT a question of liking or hating. What I hate in life is hate itself. I have never ever passed a judgment on the basis of personal likes or dislikes. You are rather MADLY in love with EPRP and anyone who tells you the truth about EPRP is one who hates EPRP. huh, it is very sickening! I have been following you and reading your comments. I liked many of them. This time around you have clearly goofed. Don't rush to unwarranted conclusion. I told you about EPRP and its criminal past. If you think I have lied or exaggerated, just say it is not true or it is exaggerated. Try to argue with logic and try to reason out. Please try to make your own independent verification that what I told you about EPRP is 101% true. It is rather the tip of the ice berg. If one tells you all the criminal records of EPRP you may dare to say it is comparable to Mussolini's attrocities. Let me tell you some of the most outrageous crimes of EPRP. Dr. Getachew Maru, who was a CC member of EPRP, was killed by EPRP and after they killed him they did put his dead body in an old sack and dumped his body in one of the garbage corners of Addis Ababa. Birhanemeskel Reda narrowly escaped imprisonment and a subsequent brutal murder by EPRP. I told you also about the poor "setegna adari" slaughtered by EPRP. I told you also about the thousands of EPRP members executed and slaughtered being branded as "anja". What else do you want to hear? Netsi, keep an open mind. Don't close up. Your brain is wonder of wonders and use it excellently. Don't have a faith type allegiance to any political group. Finally, I want to tell you EPRP is a piece of ****. Bye for now.