Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A young heroine pays the ultimate sacrifice

July 26, 2005
ethiopianreview.com

Her name is Shi Bire Desalegn. She is the first person to be killed when Meles Zenawi unleashed his forces following a peaceful protest by Addis Ababa University (AAU) students on June 6. She was shot and killed by EPRDF troops as she and her friends tried to block the road in Kotebe that leads to the Sendafa torture camp.

She helped escape several AAU students from torture by helping them jump from the trucks that were taking them to Sendafa. She didn't have any weapon. But that didn't stop the EPRDF troops from shooting her to death.

Because of Shi Bire actions, some AAU students escaped torture. But because of the action and inaction of others, thousands went through unspeakable brutality in the hands of the EPRDF security forces under the direct orders of Meles Zenawi. Thirty days later, Meles Zenawi was standing next to President Bush and Prime Minister Tony Blair at the G8 meeting in Scotland, looking proud of his barbaric actions.

Ethiopian Review spoke with Shi Bire's mother, Wzr. Ayelech Birkneh. She is devastated by her daughter's sudden death. As the bread winner of the family, the 21-year old Shi Bire was supporting her mother and six teenage siblings. The father passed away, leaving only a 50 birr monthly pension.

Shi Bire could not continue her education, because there was nobody else to support the family. Her income was not enough to support the whole family even though she worked hard. The only choice she had to generate enough income was to go to a foreign country looking for a job. She was gunned down 10 days before her flight to an Arab country where she found a job as a maid.

People in Shi Bire's neighborhood appreciate what she did and died for. They think she is a heroine and a role model. They talk about her with a great deal of pride. She stood up for the students who only demanded respect for the people's vote. She paid the ultimate sacrifice trying to save others.

Re: A young heroine pays the ultimate sacrifice

My condolences to her families and friends.Shibre was a hero,one of the first who was murdered by the dictator melese zenawi's direct order. Trust me they won't get away with this.Time is very close where these barbarice killer will face justice.

We ethiopians are united.We won't stop fighting until the killing of innocent people stop for once.I am ready to give my life for this cause.I swear in God.We don't wanna kill but we have to defend ourselves.

For those of you who sit and watch and do nothing when our brothers and sisters murdered by these criminals, the only thing I can say to you is ,I hope it won't happen to you or your family but if it does.....You will be all alone.

Please my people..do something...anything at all..if it helps our people live in peace and prosperity.

Let us organize ourselves...contribute something..

The Ethiopian People shall overcome.

Email: chombe@hotmail.com

City: alexandria

What a sad story! My condolence goes to the families and friends of Shibire. I believe she has died for a good cause and each of us should not be discourage from promoting justice for our Ethiopian brothers and sisters who are suffering from Meles’s state sponsored terrorism.

A very sad story.

I believe there were fundraising initiatives for families like that of Shibire's following the massacare. Has any resource been transferred to the families that paid the ultimate price in the struggle to bring good governance to Ethiopia?

The family of Shibire might be in need of financial support. If a credible organization/group can
start fundraising we might be able to reach to these Ethiopians. It should not be difficult for many
of us to contribute our pay for a day or two. I will gladly contribute to such worthy cause.

what a beautiful girl both physically and internaly. but she was gone for the sake of others. may God rest her soul in heaven

Email: ezra@yahoo.com

City: awassa

How these savages pull their trigger on this kind of just young Ethiopians. They can arrest them easly. It is clear that they are harmless. We feed them and they kill us.It is barbaric act in the 21st century. You sacrified your life fighting the brutality of Meles & Co. God bless the beautiful Shibre

Email: hagos@hotmail.com

City: DC

How long could we let EPRDF kills our families???
We always talk, condomn ....EPRDF. It just means nothing for them. They know what they are doing and there is no need to tell them what they are doing.We have to instead stop them what they are doing.

How can we help??????????????????

Email: baheilu@yahoo.com

This is really extremely sad story,
A young beautiful girl's life has been stopped unjustly & brutally. I join the condolences dear compatriots! Such stories are very powerful, for sure there are lots of other incidents not reported. I urge Ethiopians to forward such happenings from every direction! The barbaric & tyrannical government should therefore be exposed this way to the world, let them see for themselves whom they are praising & giving awards.
Great job ER and Mr. Moderator!!!! We need to see more of similar stories.
Thank you all

Email: h.y.paulos@wp.pl

City: WLOCLAWEK

o mu lord....i dont know what to say she brok my heart...is thear any chance to help her familly fancially tnx

Email: maski19@hotmail.com

City: sydney

Shi Bire,

You glow with all that is pure and beautiful. Your innocence and virtue radiates in your eyes and your smile, You are our beloved sister and the gallant daughter of our mother Ethiopia.

Now, rest in peace in paradise and look down upon your brothers and sisters with a smile. May the Almighty grant us your courage and conviction to be our brother’s keepers.

Your will be immortalized in our hearts and history eternally.

From all your loving subjects.

Beheg-Amlack

I would like to express my condolence to her family. She is one of the true Ethiopian daugther.

Email: alemety@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa

You are the one....

What a sad story, it really touchs me she sacrificed her life to others, but we have to think also about her family since she is the bread maker to the family pls inform us how can we help the family,
may God bless ur soul in heaven
Amen!!!

Email: davekidus@yahoo.com

City: frankfurt

I don't have a word what to say, please let me know how i can help her family. thank you

Email: mesfinharar@yahoo.com

City: alexandria

If there is enough support from readers, I propose we get her beautiful picture printed on T-SHIRTS for sale and use the money raised to support her family. If we raise sufficent fund, the money could be shared with families of the other heros who were butchered by Meles on June 8. I am willing to contribute my bit to the above printing works.
By the way does any one know an Ethiopian who is in the business of printing pictures on T-SHIRTS ??

I really don’t have enough words to express my deep sorrow to the family. But, one thing is for sure that the struggle for democracy is only to began. More and more heroic people is going to sacrifice their lives. We, Ethiopians should unite against the tyranny and mad dogs of Meles and continuing the struggle for freedom and justice. Especially, the Diaspora has the historical responsibility to help the people at front in every way needed, financially and politically. Start organising yourselves because that is the only way towards sustainable struggle which can lead to victory.

The democratic struggle will continue!!!

We shall win!!!

The legacy of a young and beautiful girl who is the symbol of struggle against the TPLF regime will/must continues. The boiling motherland love inside everyone’s heart and mind must translate in to action. The oppositions must understand that there will no any compromise with little meles and his criminal associates over the peoples’ vote. Despite most of us knew what could be the final outcome of the vote irregularity investigation process, because of pressure especially from the international community the oppositions agreed. As the current result shows, the NEB/TPLF one party crime is on the highway to declare victory to little meles.
It was a mistake then but it is a huge mistake now when the opposition are still in the process giving the legitimate right to criminals at the expense of the Ethiopian people. TPLF is the mastermind about anything what is going on in the country. NEB is the main if not the only group of criminals working for TPLF against the interest of the Ethiopian people. Almost all of them are the high rankers in the justice system. That means if the oppositions don't agree about the conduct of NEB, they have to go to court in front of NEB members. The NEB members are thieves, criminals, liars, and bandas working for TPLF. They are also handpicked juries and judges who have illegal right deciding about the country juridical system. With this mess condition, I don't understand why the Opposition are still keeping silent while the peoples’ vote is irregularly taken to reward the criminals legally. The opposition have to withdraw now and start other productive strategies.
Are the Addis ababans still keep silent while after 15 may election the unelected parliament members voted under little meles pressure to destroy Addis Ababa? According to little meles hate mind, Addis Ababa under CUD will get 0% budget from the govt.. before 15 may it was 90%. The around 5 million Addis Ababans will not have their own police. The police and city transport will be under meles administration deciding he will take power by any means. He disrespects the Ethiopian people up to this level. Tax rate reduced dramatically. They did they could to destabilise the City in their mind to punish the people and to create oppositions against the CUD. If the City will not have enough sources to generate money, the living condition of the majority will be very bad. The city will go down. Unemployment will rise dramatically. Because of the city has no own police and no job, crime will rise. In general if the people of Addis Ababa accept this little bad man's decision about Addis Ababa, the city future will be in question. So, the Addis Ababans must rise up at every possible ways until the city right is respected. People in Gonder, Bahir Dar, wollo, Debre Markos, Motta, Bichena, Debre birhan, Nazret, Nekemt, Jimma, Awassa, Dire Dawa Etc must rise up along side with the people of Addis Ababa to protect their right. Don’t afraid to lose, don't afraid to die, don't afraid to confront the people's enemy. If we allow NEB to impose TPLF illegally, the future of Ethiopia will be in big question mark. Brave Ethiopian, you have to rise up. You will get nothing if you stay just bluffing like the dogs do. You have to have another strategic to confront TPLF. Before they kill you, you have to kill them. It is the way in which self defence is working. Mad and hateful man like meles will never accept a peaceful protest unless there come a balance power struggle in every field. Brave people in Diaspora also must continue with every possible action to persuade the international community especially the US. I know there are thousands of brave educated and businessmen and women in US. It could be easy to them to persuade the US than a little meles and his few criminal associates. The struggle must go on.

Email: Tolosa@hotmail.com

"ANTI-SHAEBIA"
You can't hide you self under this screen name. You have to change it to – “Shebia-slave”
If you were a true “Anti-Shaebia” you would have at least forwarded your condolences on this sad subject, but on the contrary you are happy with the massacre. This web site is not for you & co. don’t ever scold the organizers, who are performing PATRIOTIC JOB.
Long live Ethiopia!!

it is very sad to see such a bright young woman killed by these criminals.those who are responsible for this should be brought to justice.may God rest her soul in peace.

Email: derejegashaw@yahoo.com

City: australia

Extremely sad but a must do thing to prevail peace and stability.

You elites………or…. what ever name you have…you are fighting for your permanent residency permit or even for citizenship in the respective country you are residing in. for this reason you need political unrest to justify your enquire.

But here in Addis we need peace and stability to earn our daily braid and to develop our country. …..Do you have any idea what we get due to the prevailing peace and stability continued for the last 14 years?

Preaching hatred and violence through your innocent computers is an easy task to deal with but we are the one who pay for your war mongering ideas.

Yes…..EPRDF need a good opponent like CUD and with this I have no dispute and this is my very reason why I support CUD but when it comes to violence and hatred I am against CUD because I believe that there are enough space for peaceful political straggle and I believe this is the reason why CUD win significant seats in the first place.

So…. please…. please…. please…hatred, warmongering as well as prejudge would not get us anywhere.

We need peace…stability and above all good governance, which I believe is a process by itself.

Email: asdfsdf@kfsdf.com

City: ADDIS ABABA

What a devastating and heart breaking incident. The event of such a beautiful girl’s life will be imprinted in our heart for eternity.
May god bless her soul and give her family the outmost strength to cope with such awful occurrence.

City: MInneapolis

I am deeply touched by this heart-breaking story. What a remarkable, courageous, beautiful young lady. She scarifies her young life so others may live. I cannot even imagine what her family is going through. Meles has given these families a lifetime nightmare. What for? What have they done to deserve this?

Please let us know how to help her family and the mother who lost her two sons. I am struggling to cope with these stories. These mothers not only lost their children but their support system as well.

Thank you, Elias.

Let us contribute money as well as printing her pic. on T-shirts for fund raising !!!

God bless you for breaking the news !!!

Email: akalua01@med.nyu.edu

Anti,
Where is your outrage about the death of this beautiful young girl, Shi and for all those who lost their lives on the hands of your Agazi army? The name-calling and your outrageous anger towards the true story only shows your intelligent level nothing more.
It is obvious you are not accustomed to the rule of law in US and Canada. You are trying to muzzle, intimidate and threaten people like you do in Ethiopia. Believe me this is a small story, but soon all the horrendous crimes committed by the Agazi army and the true story about the election will come out. It is a matter of time.

The story broke my heart. What a brave and beautiful woman !! Too young to die. May God rest her soul. My condolence to the Family.

Email: hawlachew@imperfectnetworks.com

City: Boston

There is an old saying by Pastor Martin Niemöller
called "First They Came for the Jews".
Here is an Ethiopian version of it.

First they came for the CUD members
and I did not speak out
because I was not a CUD member.
Then they came for the UEDF members
and I did not speak out
because I was not a UEDF member.
Then they came for all concerned Ethiopians
and I did not speak out
because I was not a concerned Ethiopian.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Let's not wait till woyanae knocks each one of our door !!
Every Ethiopian blood is our blood.

Email: hawlachew@imperfectnetworks.com

City: Boston

What a tragedy! Woyanes drank her blood after killing. Please organize any means to help her family finacially.

Death to the barbaric-Woyanes!!

Email: btworkie2003@yahoo.com

City: Stuttgart

what a brave women, I hope your death bring a better life for the rest of ethiopian. I storngly believe that we all have to contribute money for her family, I will say this is small price we have to pay, comparing her's. May God bless your soul and keep you at his right

City: dallas

You are one of a kind. Sorry for our sister who lost her life to safe others. Your killers will face justice one day. It won't be too far. Let's help her family because she died for a lot of families.

Rest in peace.

City: Springfield

It is a tragedy of dictators. It will not be far that those who did the crime will get their ultimate price.

Email: paulos21@yahoo.com

ANTI SHAEBIA,

Why are you directing your pen on the publisher.is it because he is exposing you and your masters crime and evil dids.Any time you and your master murder inocent ethiopians, mostly university students, you claim that they were lotters,Unemployed,war mongers etc.... this claim may have decevied the out side world in the past, but ethiopians know tto well the true face of you and your evil masters.Do you have a heart? do you brothers,sisters cousin etc.. I wonder what kind of person you are? even in death you and your evil masters try to take away her place in history that she infact died for worthy cause.
that is to free the ethiopian people form the barbaric and insensetive brutal regime.MR ANTI SHAEBIA, ON the contrary, it seems you are the one who looks like the paid agent of meles regime who is trying to defend the indefensable. Mr.Antisaebia, you need to know soon or later only the truth will come out as the winner. no amount of money and propoganda will save you on the time comes.

God bless my sisters and others who died in defense of the defensless.

Amen

Email: FELEGUHE_8@HOTMAIL.COM

City: ALEXANDRIA ,VA

Dear, readers

Please make a corrections on my last tow sentences.

1.The should be read as " no amount of money will save you when the time comes "

2."God bless my sister and others who died in defense
of the defenseless"

Amen.

thankuou

Email: FELEGUHE_8@HOTMAIL.COM

City: ALEXANDRIA ,VA

I got no word to say something!

I don`t know what to say, but how i can help becuase i am planning to go to Ethiopia pretty soon. Can i get address of this young hero to be able to help her family.

Email: Rastafaraai@yahoo.com

It is a very sad story. But I am confused. If I remember correctly, the first girl who was shot was a high school student who at the time was either walking or coming back from school. We were told that the police were targeting the students who were jumping from the truck and running away when she was shot accidentally.

It does not matter what the reason was, It is still a sad story.

My condolences to the family.

City: USA

Kalu, contact the publisher.

Dear friends,

We must try to bring ShiBire's killers to justice. The idea of forming ShiBire Legal Fund or Foundation is floating. The idea is to hire lawyers in Ethiopia and abroad to bring legal action against the perpetrators of atrocities against unarmed pro-democracy protestors on June 8. The fund can also ShiBire's family, and the famililes of the other victims.

Regards,

How Shame is to the "democarat" Melese and his regim to brutaly kill such a girl? Ofcourse it not shame for him and his EPRDF. Because it is only now that such brutality of EPRDF revealed even at international level. We the people of Ethiopia should not be mislead by Meles. It is their old fashn "divide and rule" method what is working on us.
We should not divide ourself by the poison of EPRDF. It is their tool for their benefit. Look at Europ and others. As opposed to what is happening here, they are trying to unite the their people in their continent. Even if there could be problems, we have good culture to seat and resolve problems. We need not be tool for these reactionaries.

We should seat and think of the people, like the young beautiful girl Shibire , who sacrified their life. It is their spirit for the people of Ethiopia. We should fight Meles and his EPRDF. We should have good democratic government that does not consume dosens of its citizens.
We Ethiopians should UNIT for Ethiopians, not for the satisfaction of a POLITACAL PARTY.

Remeber: The lives of Ethiopian Heros consumed by EPRDF has meaning for us; That is a call, NOT TO SLEEP OR TO WACH CASUALITIES. TT IS A CALL FOR UNITED FIGHTING AGAINST THE VIRUS "EPRDF" UNTIL IT VANISHS. ARE WE HERO ONLY FOR EXTERNAL ENEMIES? WE SHOULD BE ALSO FOR THESE VIRUSES.

God Bless Ethiopia, the Hero SHIBIRE DESSALEGN and her families.

Email: teswd2@yahoo.com

City: Columbus, Ohio

It is frightening just to imagine how many more innocent victims there are, those we have not heard about. The brutal fascists who have committed this terrible crime must be brought to justice.
The struggle for democracy must be concluded with victory for our people.

Sharing a seat in a Woyane parliament with murderers can not be taken as an option. The fascist dictator zenawi has no moral or legal ground to stay in power.

First of all I want to pass my personal thanks to the people who provided us these forum help us to express our deepest feeling I/the rest of Ethiopians went through these unjust killing of innocent kids like Shibire in the street of our Capital city, Addis Ababa.
As I saw her picture over your web site, I felt anguish and felt really guilty that we abondent them. I felt guilty cause their death make us more worrier, unexpressive to over through these small group of killer. These are not the Ethiopians I am told by my father when I was small ages ago. Ethiopians, it is our turn to fullfil their dream to happen in any means possible. It is us only us have to stand together as one people and country and voice out to make their reasons be real.
May GOD bless her and the rest of the diceased souls.

One Love....One Ethiopia...One Ethiopian!!!

Thank you again.

Email: hagtilahun@aol.com

City: Alexandria

God blss your soul Shebere!!!! you are an angel who saved hundereds from torture and brutal treatment of the TPLF regim. Those who are responsible for your murder will eventually pay for their barberic act, we charish your greatness! again God bless you and your familly whom you left behind. God may lift Ethiopia from her death bed, as your sacrifise shine as a liberator from her suffering.

Email: solyoh2000@yahoo.com

City: Toronto

Mr. Moderator & dear compatriots,
I have a proposition that we have to post the picture of the “PM” Meles, where he has been recently seen in Sheraton hotel with his daughter- at the party arranged to celebrate her completion of high school, contra Shi-Bire’s picture- side by side, in order to show to the world, how the tyrant spends Ethiopian’s budget in luxury when the poor children of the masses are brutally murdered by his order.

Indeed, a Heroine!

Brave and beautiful! You will always be remebered.
May God rest your soul in peace

It is sad and touching.
Rest in peace. our hero!

I salute you Shibre!!!
The country that you died for will be free oneday from tyranny, nepotism, and narrow nationalizm. Your sacrifies will not be in vain.

I appeal to Ethiopian Review to keep Shibere's picture permanantly on the front page. That is where she belong. She is the face of our struggle, the brutality that we suffered and our hope for the future. Her beautiful face is our symbol of hope and a reminder to us all on what we have done individually to bring democracy to our country.

At the minimum we should raise fund to support her family. Could ER organize this?

What a sad story!when I first saw the picture, I thought she was one of those beauty contestant. but sadly enough teer came down my cheek when I learned that she was the one who gave her precious life to stop this first class idiot regiem.well my condolences go to her family and assured them the history will never forget her. she is a true heroine of our time. May God bless her family.

Email: dmlshaltaye@yahoo.com

City: denver

I had the same feeling as Demelash, when i looked the pic i thought the story was about the young ethiopian lady presently at buity contest in asea.
Egzeabhear nebswan yamar.
getahun

Email: getahun35@yahoo.com

City: College Park

There are two things we could and must do. First: let us establish THE SHIBRRE FUND to support the family of the heroine. It does not take too much. A few hundred per month will do. Can ER coodinate this? Second: Those who do not fight for their freedom deserve to live as slaves. The only alternative to slavery is to struggle to get rid of Woyane. The rest is empty dream and the fantasy of the hopeless. Meles will not give us freedom by counting the bad vote a million times. Ergo: Get Organized and Struggle. Long Live People Power. Yichalal

A truely Ethiopian child,history will remember her as such a hero who dyied helping others scapes from savage agazzi soldiers but,she'll remember a thousand years from now as truely Ethiopian hero.I salute you sis may your soul rest in peace.

Email: DillingerJ1@aol.com

I do not know what to say. It is causing me sorrow and gloom. We (true Ethiopians) should take advantage of this message remembering those brave Ethiopian from CUD and other parties fighting against this barbaric regime. What about Lidutu Ayalew? he is really hero as well. When I am saying CUD I am excluding those gays in CUD spaying other true Ethiopians in favour of TPLF. The TPLF and Agazi Tor are not Ethiopian. Long live to Lidetu Ayalew and my condolences to Shibere's family.

Email: akje31@hotmail.com

City: India

We need to collet money to help the
mother. Give us an address or your bank account.
May God bless her soul.
I hate Woyane.
Regards
Dadi

very sad story. Let god put her soul in heaven.

Email: ethioabeba@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa

I would like to begin by thanking ER for the taching story. What a heroic sacrifice! What a price to pay. We Ethiopian people owe you a lot. There is only one way we can keep you alive. We have to finish the job you started. Believe it or not you have put your name in the history book next to the people who paid the ultimate price for Ethiopia. God rest your sole. For the mother and the hall family I could
only say this

“EGZIABHYR YATSNACHUH.”

Email: Fbekele@niaid.nih.gov

Shi Bire, you are the symbol of hope, freedom, democracy and above all the heroine of the 21st century Ethiopia. You have done the best of best. May the almighty God bless your soul and rest in peace. we Ethiopians and your family in particular are proud of you. you will be remembered forever as the freedom fighter with bare-hand in front of well-trained force who did not hesitate to shot you. your killer Meles must be brought to justice.

Email: absam20032001@yahoo.com

City: Tromsø

My condolence for her family and friends. I touched deeply by the death of this role model Etiopian heroine. She overcomed her responsibility for her lovely motherland. This is our time. Every Ethiopian should stand againest the weyane regim. Her wonderful sacrifice and great job for Ethiopia will remain for ever in the history of Ethiopia. Please we Ethiopian have to united to abolish the village tyrrants. I hope there is a commitee to collect money for her family. I am volenteer to do what ever I have to. Finally show practically your support for CUD and UEDF.
Long live Ethiopia

Email: tkldemeke@yahoo.com

City: Atlanta

On behalf of all Ethiopian people, I send my sincere condolences to the family of Shibere and to the families of all the others, who lost lives of the loved ones that same day, or the next days. We are all mourning over the loss of Shibere and all others got killed that day, or next days. To all the families, may One God of this planet bless you with peace, comfort and strength during your time of grief and sorrow! We want you to know that we are holding you up in our prayers. We know that there are no enough words in the world that could console you in this time of deep loss. We are so sorry for the sacrifices you have had to endure. Tragedies such as these strengthen our weakness and enable us to see, to focus and to accept that we are One people, that we have common fate, identity, values and shared vision. To all my brothers and sisters, who are not with us now....., who got killed for participating in peaceful demonstration and or those who were taken from the colleges to be killed...:::::::: I am just a humble Ethiopian who still believe that thank you is a small offering for the sacrifice you made. I just want to say this on behalf of all Ethiopians, ...forever we will hold your memory and all that you believed in, stood for and fought for, close to our hearts. And to all my brothers and sisters, who are not with us now,,,,,,,who got killed for no reasons....who got killed because you were at the wrong places at the wrong time.....we still owe thank you to you too....., we also remember you forever,,,,,,,, we are so sad that you didn't get a chance to know the reasons why you were hit and killed by the bullets,,,,,, and of course there were no reasons for you death.......we will always remember you!!!..., will give you equal respect!!! and regards!!....all lives matter equally...... May one God watch over you!! You all will not be forgotten. You are in Heaven now with our heavenly Dad. All your troubles are over!! We thank you for what you have sacrificed. You have brought, Ethiopia in a historical phase..... that it has never never been!!! Again, our deepest sympathy to all the families ....may One God of this earth bless you with peace, speedy comfort, and strength to face this world with love again. I will love to end the message with one scripture from the GOOD BOOK::::::.....Blessed are they that mourn; for they shall be comforted. (Matthew 5:4).

I just would like to add few things about our Beauty Shibere:::::.......

Was only 21 years old,,, ,,,,,yet .......so BEAUTIFUL....... both outside and inside..........with an angel face and a look ......that reflect big heart.....extreme kindness,,,,,,,,,,,,that we all can see and tell..........without much trouble.....and so impossible not to see it..... .......A face and a look.... that is so innocent..........so kind,,,,..so pure,,,,,,so fresh....so gentel....SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!........And above all....a face and a look that reflect ....extreme readiness without hesitation.... ......to ease up the pain of the others..........so ready......to save the lives of the others with the need for protection........A face and a look that knows no selfishness...............she lived such a short life.....just too short.......but lived it to serve the greatest purpose of life......... and stood up for something greater...... ..greater than everything on the face of this earth.....and all the planets.........something so essential......although unseen....and can't be measured in terms of physical values.........yet she was so great and blessed .......to understand .....its value and its secret...............She sacrificed that such a short life.....to serve that greatest purpose of life..........to ease up the pain of the others ..........even she knew it could be dangerous.....even she knew death is permanent..........she risked her one life,,,,,one short life.......and .......she stood up for that something great.......that she had always strongly believed........SHE SAVED LIVES!!!.............what a BEAUTY!!!!!..........Although she lived....almost all of her life time ....under one regime.......a government who advocate to its people......to worship their ethnic heritages..... a government that judges its people.......by their ethnic heritage.....but not by their characters and actions.........Shibere........our BEAUTY............she never learned that weak lesson...............never!!,,,......to her.....,,that was such a low lesson to be learned!........Shibere .....was simply too great for that type of lesson.,,,,,and hence........when she saved lives that day...........we all know and agree..... without the need to see more evidences.......that she never asked ...."are you gurage? are you tigrian? are you amhara? are you oromo? are you adere? are you etc and etc??".....she never did that.................never.....she had no criteria during her rescue act......she just extended her help to all!!!...............Because to her.......people are ONE........to her... pain is pain..... to her.... fairness to all people.....is the greatest virtue.....Although, she lived such a short life,,,,,that life was..........A LIFE GREATLY LIVED!!!! May Lord Bless her soul!!!! No doubt that she is with our heavenly Dad, at this very moment!!! Much love and respect to her!!!

Email: peacetoall2004@yahoo.com

Truely a hero indeed.shibere is our gaurdain angel.

Email: doctordo44@yahoo.com

City: Losangeles

The family and friends of Shibire will certainly get comfort from the knowledge that we share their pain and we are truly saddened by this tragedy. Helping them financially will give them not only badly needed material support but also a moral boost. To know that their loved one lost her life for the Ethiopian people who love her and care for her family will be great.

Do you remember the Enat Hager Tire contribution you or your parents were making? This is no different than that Enat Hager Tire except that it is not being imposed on you by a government. You will be doing it out of your own choice. That money was used to buy bullets to fight against the destructive TPLF/EPLF force and this time it will be used to help those who sacrificed their life for Ethiopia because their peaceful struggle was suppressed by the violence machine of TPLF.

So can we take action? Can ER start a fundraising campaign?

Andinet and all,

Any one interested in doing something on behalf of ShiBire, please write me at eliask@juno.com

THE SHIBRE MEMORIAL FUND

Ok every body. Let us begin the real 'hazen' which is to organize a small fund for the family of Shibre - The Mother of Ethiopian Democracy. Please give concrete ideas and proposals. ER, can you contact the Shibre family? Thanks all. Yichalal!

May God bless her sole and the sole of thousands of young Ethiopians, like her, who perished in the brutal and merciless Mengistu era. I pray to God to reveal to the Ethiopian people the wisdom of accommodating their differences and stop playing the endlessly destructive hate game. UEDF, TPLF, OLF, CUD, etc are all equally Ethiopians; their basic differences are only in their programs and visions for this country. However, our hate politics is creating suspension, insecurity, and violence.

Email: peace@peace.com

City: Jimma

Let's indicate that we feel the pain. Ethiopian Review: can you please take the lead to establish a mechanism to collect some little money starting with $5 each or more if people who read this wish to (I believe you do) to be remitted to her family? We may want to use Ethiopian Communities in each state, as a coordiating unit or please post ER's address to mail the money to.

Thanks

Email: sol_richo@yahoo.com

Truely a hero indeed.Shibere is our guardian angel.I pay tribute to her family,who is able to raise a beautifull young girl with enormous patriotic feeling.But are we only condemening these brutal acts that are imposed on our people? I strongly believe there has to be something we aught to do to abstain the weyane regime from causing more harm.We need to supporot a political party that has a bright future to Ethiopia in a very organized manner.I just came from Addis,I can't tell you how people are oppressed under weyane.They are denied of their self expressions.I have witnessed a brutal beating of a college student,who was showing the victory sighn on the streets of Arat Killo.You come across many stories as that of Shibere's in our capital.My deepest sorrow goes to all of them.Though her death leaves an agony in our hearts,she has touched our lives in a positive way.What are we doing to our country? and our peole?.It is by now clear that weyane is in our door steeps waiting to kill.How long are we going to bare the pain these maniacs are causing us? Our voices need to be lauder than they already are.May God rest her soul in peace.May he aslo gives the family the sength to overcome this tragic loss.We sould extend our helping hands to the family.please please let us know about any possible way to do so.Here is a poem for all Ethiopians fighting to bring good governance.

Melt like a Candle

you are living your age;
just face the challenge.
melt like a candle;
give light to people;
who have suffered enough;
by bureaucracy and dictators.
melt like a candle to mothers;
who lost their sons and daughters;
to fierce military men and guns.
count on thier weepings;
don't leave them craying.
solve their troubles;
that have long been mysteries.
melt and be light;
so people can have rights;
to oppose and support;
with no fear for theit lives.
let freedom ring;
get people to cling;
on the ladder you build;
that will lead all of us;
to well being and peace.
melt like a candle to the country;
stricken with draught and povery.
when will it be;
that we can be free;
when will it be;
the suffering can end;
never to come again;
in war torn land.
the educated Ethiopian;
I ask you now and then;
do you love your country;
please tell the people;
rather show them;
carry all the burden;
melting like a candle to a family;
who brought you to be who you are;
with great decepline and love.
seeing lives shattered;
youngesters being gunned;
what is your benefit;
unless you fight;
with all your might;
burning like a candle;
to bring light for others;
that have lived in darkness;
for countless years.
it is a justified cause;
don't feel it;
you burned and many lived.
our hero so be called;
oppositions to weyane may you live;
to strive and lead.

WE SHALL OVERCOME.

Email: doctordo44@yahoocom

Heart breaking! It has changed many hearts forever towards this evil regime.

Email: helina1967

At least lets start at $25.00 and above. There are more like Shibir’s family in Ethiopia. Please remember that Ethiopian woman who lost her two children.

Thank you,
Selam Yihune

Asteway,

This is an excellent idea. Please go ahead with your T-Shirt Idea. If Moderator agrees to organize this, I will send US$200. There are so many people willing to contribute for this cause we need someone to jump in for this and send us your address wehere we should send the money.

I suggest to have two short phrases one on the Top, one on the Bottom of her picture on the front side. And list the names of all 36 victims on the back of the Tshirt.

Here are my suggestions. I am sure people can come up with better lines:

TOP: Shot Dead Point Blank!
Bottom: By the Ethiopian Government

Back of Tshirt

Victims of the Ethiopian Government (June 8, 2005)

Name1
Name2
Name39

Dear Mamo Qilo and all others who rasied this brilliant and genourous idea of~~ T-shirt!!...May One Lord bless you all so much!! I am 100% for it. Let's all agree on this peaceful yet powerful and generous way of expressing our condolences to pay for the sacrifices our heroes paid!!We will never forget them!!! Let Shibire be on the face of the T-shirt....and all the names of the 36 victims below her picture,,of course including shibre's name (respectfully suggesting). Also, I love the phrases Mamo kilo,,suggested to be placed on the T-shirt. Great idea!! Indeed..we will buy it!!! Just let's know when it is available. I would like to take my time to express my heartfelt appreciation to the Ethiopan Review, to the superb job you are doing!! So proud of you!! May God bless you all!! Together, with the spirit of love, courage,and of course, fear of God, we will win!!!! Hatred is not our heritage!!!!May the faithful Lord, keeps blessing the souls of our heroes, who are not with us right now!!!

Micheal,
Sorry to tell you the bad and the shameful news, Micheal--You have no brain left, it is all washed away by Meles’ propaganda washing machine.

The T-shirt is a great idea. I suggest this Phrases.

champion of democracy

Killed by Ethiopian government.

Email: tl@yahoo.com

TL,

I like your phrase. What do we need to do to kick this off? There is no Ethiopian Community center where I live. One way is to ask one of the Ethiopian community centers to take charge of this effort.

Moderator can create a section for donation and an address for us to send money. It is a powerful Idea. Kudos Asteway. It does two things. It helps support the victim's families and it also exposes the crime.

Mamo Qilo

Mamo

I joined Shibire E-mail group.I believe Moderator should be in charge or he should deligate at his discretion.

Email: tl@yahoo.com

ER, we thank you very much for the organizing concept you povided. I urge every reader to sign up the email list. Talk is cheap. This is concrete action. This is also one way of resistance for Ethiopian Democracy for which Shibre gave her life. PEOPLE POWER is manifested in many ways. When we fail to support those who die for our freedom, the oppressor becomes strong. When we fail to follow behind those Fanos of freedom, they lose hope in People Power. Our support of Shibre merely states the fact that we the Ethiopian People will not stop until Woyane fprces injustice and killing on the nation. Do you oppose Woyane, then show it by doing something about it. Thanks ER. Yichalal

Dear ER,
As an enduring symbol of sacrifice , courge and love of country , please make her picture be allowed to remian permanently on your web site. let her death remind us all of our obligation to our people and country as our ancestors have done for centuries to give us a free land called Ethiopia. Though we mourn her death , we have also rejoice in her death
she has joined the countless Ethiopian patriots.
Long Live Ethiopia

City: atlanta

I am loving the idia Mamo and others are raising.It is the least we can do to support the people who sacrified thier lives for the sake of freedom.I would like to join Shibere's email adress to contribute my beat.Any one with this information please.

Email: doctordo44@yahoo.com

To join Shibire's e-mail list, send e-mail to:

ShibireDesalegn-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

girma,well said.Her courage lives in very Ethiopians heart today and tomorrow,may the GOD of Ethiopia keep our people intact for generation to come.Ethiopia has been still is.

girma,Ethiopia is your home so ER is yours.

great heroine for the next generation,she passed her life for truth. GOD bless her soul and rest it with other herosand heroins of ethiopian

If every body agrees I can take the responsibility to prepare the T shirts. In Chicago a bloc from me, a professional T shirt designer and manufacturer doing business. We have a strong Ethiopian community here in Chicago that can supervise this mission. The other alternative is Ethiopian review publisher Elias Kifle, without him SHIBEREA'S DEATH COULD FALL WITHOUT MERIT.

SHIBRE IS OUR ICON AND MODEL ETHIOPIAN FOR DEMOCRACY STRUGGLE HER DEATH WILL UNITE US AND LEAD US FOR VICTROY. IF WE RALLY BEHIND THE CAUSE, THAT SHIBREA SACRIFICE HER LIFE HER DEATH WILL NOT BE IN VAIN.

Hello All,
I like the idea of T-shirt to honor This young heroine.Her type of people come once in every thousand years.I hope the T-shirt is designed tastefully ,and if I may suggest with simple but elegant slogans that has meaning to the Ethiopian youth and country she loved ,and gave her life .
"Dont Give the Struggle " is my chice .
Girma

Email: girmip@aol.com

City: atlanta

I am deeply touched by Shibire’s misfortune. What a tragedy! My condolences to her mother, families and friends. For some of us who were raised listening, taking, worrying and experiencing killing, Shibire’s death ones more leaves us in the dark. A darkness that follow us like a shadow.

Her death is a noble death though. There is nothing noble than scarifying yourself to save others.

As for the contribution, I am all for it. What was her major when she was attending school? With a little money we can set up a scholarship so that can be remembered my many more.

Email: meskerem68@yahoo.com

City: Belleville

She studied journalism.

It would be a more fitting tribute to her a civil rights group that brings to justice government officials who violate the rights of citizens. What do you think?

Is there anything better than brining these people to justice? I like your idea. It should be the ultimate goal. I guess my approach was a little different than yours because I was looking for an interim plan. Something quick and easy but create the most awareness inside and outside of the country. Assume the scholarship as a PR or a promotion campaign which will tie back to brining these people to justice.

Email: meskerem68@yahoo.com

City: Belleville

In Ethiopian history women played a part,so you womens out there you do your home works.

YOU!! Under cover name Begashaw wherever you are shame on you to post your nonsense, disgusting, especially under this page dedicated for this young heroine who gave her life to save her people from your maniac cold blood murderer who resides in Addis Ababa. Every Ethiopian knows today your ultimate goal is to break our country, because you are mercenaries paid by natural enemies of Ethiopia. This has been tried in the past, times and again defeated thanks to our valiant patriots Ethiopians. We will do it again; it's a matter of time. We had many "HODAM" like you "YENATT TOOTH KORATCH" check the history how they end up.
Believe me millions like CHIBREA will rise within no times to light up the torch that never consumed before the ultimate victory on tyranny and poverty. Check again our history our people rise as one when the enemy is identified to be real and threatening our beloved Ethiopia. Your dirty game allow you to subjugate this peace loving poor people, that believed you because you speak and look like him, your abuse is overboard and today you are all naked, your ethnic divisive too old.

LEAVE US OR CONFORM TO THE PEOPLE BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE. THE PEOPLE'S RAGE CAN BE TOO HARSH TO BEAR.

Ms.Kifle why don't you lead on this cause?

Thank you ethio review for bringing to as such a wonderfull story about young ethiopian girl. My condolence for her family and for other ethiopians who lost their family member. One thing I want to remind woyane or TPLF is remember the last governments what happen to them. Please don't kill our innocent people. The time is not far for you to be killed for ever. Ethiopians people who have been killed by tyrants, their bloods is shouting. The jugment is coming soon. You killers you may hide from people,but you can't hide from God.

You all Ethiopians God be with you!
Please let as unite God will forgive us like israel.

City: tennesse

Shibre,
We will never forget you. Every time I see your picture it reminds me of the suffering of Ethiopian people and all the innocent victims. How sad it is, to see your killer Meles claiming victory. How sad it is to all the families who have lost their family member by Meles to see him claiming victory.
How sad it is!!!

May God be with her families and her friends at this devastating moment. she is a true hero and i want everybody to know that, what goes around comes around and for that someone who took this precious life away, he will definitely pay for it.
may the lord keep our country and our people safe!

Email: toopreety4you@yahoo.com

It is sad and unfortunate but the worst is still to come. A Government with great hatred for the people can do much worse.

Meles will prove that he is better and smarter than the Ruandan killers.

Email: ko@yahoo.com

City: arada

I hope I will live long to see Meles facing justice like his friend Saddam or Blair will protect him as Thatcher is protecting Pinochet from facing justice.

Email: ko@yahoo.com

City: arada

dear writer,
for the majority of the ethiopian people, distrurbances does not mean heroe. I do not understand why this stupid and hopeless girl was termed heroine. I would rather called her as potentially dangerous national weed for the poor ethiopians who loved peace.

It is upto the government to identify and pull out such hooligans.

Email: bets@yahoo.com

After all these days you are still in my mind. I wonder how your family will survive such crisis. I read some surprising things around here and i just dont know how they dare to write such things. shame on you. She devote her life for the ethiopian people and as an ETHIOPIAN i decide to help her family. I am just asking you all please i would like to contact her family in any means. any ethiopian who has got contact please send me with this e mail.
goodguy157@hotmail.com.
one Ethiopia and one country.

Email: goodguy157@hotmail.com