Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Playing Theory of Individual VS Group Rights:

Somali Perspective

Dear Ethiopians:

Norwegian prize is going to Meles Zenawi since he has done an excellent job for his country.
What is important to take note is that the so-called opposition group who is claiming to bring Heaven on earth is not delivering a coherent program that will address the ills of Ethiopian economic, social and political factors. In other words, they are playing the mental exercise of Western philosophy that does not match the reality at the ground. Last night, I have heard interesting debate where a certain representative of CUD has confused the issues as if he was solving article 39 on the question of individual rights versus group rights. He combined two theories namely the Rose revolution and the rights revolution which is in my opinion in the first place a propaganda scheme that is masterminded by the father of all misery and massacre, Negede Gobeze. However, I will address in this brief note the rights of revolution and leave the Rose Revolution to the CUD's die harder supporters.

This theory that has been butchered is inherited from the rights revolution which is fundamentally a revolution in the way we think and act about rights. The essence of this revolution is captured by enhancing our right to be equal and protecting our right to be different. The challenge of the rights revolution is to enhance equality while safe-guarding difference.

Moreover, the rights revolution is not strictly for Ethiopian only, but it is a global phenomenon as every day brings news of a group in some part of the world fighting for its rights. The Somali question was a case in point before the arrival of EPRDF at the helm of the power. What makes EPRDF deed so important for Ethiopian of all walk of lives is the case it makes for seeing Ethiopia as the epicenter of this revolution in thought and action.

In addition, it is EPRDF’s contention that Ethiopians have been in the forefront of learning how to negotiate continuously and peacefully the claims of distinct ethnic, religions, culture and linguistic communities within their democracy. This experience, EPRDF argues, has given rise, in both our intellectual life and constitutional practice, to a recognition of group rights that has much more to offer the contemporary world than the more prestigious British, American and French traditions of individual rights. CUD leader has muddied the question of Federal system within the group and individual rights. Further, he deliberately missed that EPRDF embraces of multiethnic and mosaic Ethiopia , and upholding of rights of self-determination claimed by the Somalis, Oromo’s and Afar to name a few and other nations.

All in all, as the saying goes, irony of ironies we Ethiopians are, or are becoming, a people of peoples, a people whose unity is built on the recognition that we all are equals and our group rights are protected. In other words, the line of demarcation of government right and regions ones on the one hand and the right of Ethiopian and accepting difference while living on equal footing to access to the resources is a million dollar question that CUD should address and EPRDF should make practical.

Email: shirdons@yahoo.com

City: Washington DC

Re: Playing Theory of Individual VS Group Rights:

Dear Mamo:
You have being running in the empty field for awhile and here I posted a comment that is unseating your beloved opposition group and put them in the spot. You used to rush to throw outdate and fabircated propaganda a la CUD left and right, but here you do not dare to lift up your finger or run out of gas and left with surprise that a Somali Ethiopians who are currently in the highest gear that kicked out the setters from Somali region this week could not be stopped.

Dear Dr. Ibrahim,

Mamo Qilo asked me to let you know that he has been banned from ER. I found this interesting because this came without any announcement. ER announced when it banned participants, as was the case with Arat Kilo.

TT

Email: ttessema34@yahoo.com

Is it any different from an article which appeared on www.aigaforum.com?

Somali Perspective

Ismail Qodax(7/23/05)
Dear Ethiopians:
Norwegian prize is going to Meles Zenawi since he has done an excellent job for his country.
What is important to take note is that the so-called opposition group who is claiming to bring Heaven on earth is not delivering a coherent program that will address the ills of Ethiopian economic, social and political factors. In other words, they are playing the mental exercise of Western philosophy that does not match the reality at the ground. Last night, I have heard interesting debate where a certain representative of CUD has confused the issues as if he was solving article 39 on the question of individual rights versus group rights. He combined two theories namely the Rose revolution and the rights revolution which is in my opinion in the first place a propaganda scheme that is masterminded by the father of all misery and massacre, Negede Gobeze. However, I will address in this brief note the rights of revolution and leave the Rose Revolution to the CUD's die harder supporters.

This theory that has been butchered is inherited from the rights revolution which is fundamentally a revolution in the way we think and act about rights. The essence of this revolution is captured by enhancing our right to be equal and protecting our right to be different. The challenge of the rights revolution is to enhance equality while safe-guarding difference.

Moreover, the rights revolution is not strictly for Ethiopian only, but it is a global phenomenon as every day brings news of a group in some part of the world fighting for its rights. The Somali question was a case in point before the arrival of EPRDF at the helm of the power. What makes EPRDF deed so important for Ethiopian of all walk of lives is the case it makes for seeing Ethiopia as the epicenter of this revolution in thought and action.

In addition, it is EPRDF’s contention that Ethiopians have been in the forefront of learning how to negotiate continuously and peacefully the claims of distinct ethnic, religions, culture and linguistic communities within their democracy. This experience, EPRDF argues, has given rise, in both our intellectual life and constitutional practice, to a recognition of group rights that has much more to offer the contemporary world than the more prestigious British, American and French traditions of individual rights. CUD leader has muddied the question of Federal system within the group and individual rights. Further, he deliberately missed that EPRDF embraces of multiethnic and mosaic Ethiopia , and upholding of rights of self-determination claimed by the Somalis, Oromo’s and Afar to name a few and other nations.

All in all, as the saying goes, irony of ironies we Ethiopians are, or are becoming, a people of peoples, a people whose unity is built on the recognition that we all are equals and our group rights are protected. In other words, the line of demarcation of government right and regions ones on the one hand and the right of Ethiopian and accepting difference while living on equal footing to access to the resources is a million dollar question that CUD should address and EPRDF should make practical.

Dear Members:
There is no difference between the two article since this web site has agreed with me to post and Ethiomedia has rejected.

I think hambasha.com would have accepted your article. I saw some disgraceful payed agents such as Mulugeta Asrate Kassa's articles published there.

Dear Ethiopia:
The 50 000 Somali Ethiopian who lived in North America are working hard behind the scene to put Somali case on the limelight. Somali were negleted for many years and here are the people who emigrated in the two decades are speaking out to shape the history of their region. These are the young generation who votd with feet in the last thirty years when they caught between the two bloody dictators , Ziad Barre hunitn Bare and Mengestu who killed left and right the innocent and poor students during the red terror.
For example, Somali Ethiopian has put pressure on the Voice of America and one can sense the difference in the last two weeks. Do not think that they are doing out of love of Somali people in Ethiopia,but they were corned by determined and fine sons and daughters of Somali Ethiopian ethnic.
Moreover, today thousand of Oromo took the street of Washington to express its voice that Oromo are the majority population in Ethiopia and its land is the richest one and the list will go on and on. Therefore, we are urging to the Northern of Ethiopian elites to accommodate Ethiopian of all walk of lifes so that we can live peacefully in one Ethiopia. In other words, we have to metamorphose to the level of judging a person what he/she can deliver and not to be killed as the young and beautiful girl that has unfornately tasted the sad death in too early in her life time. May God Alimghty rest her soul in Heaven and put in Hell fire the one who triggered the bullet that silenced her.

Ibrahim,
Yes, I agree with you, who ever pulled that trigger on Shiber and the others, May rot in hell. However, you forgot to mention the main person who orders the Agazi army to gun down the innocent people. Who could that be? Why did you forget to mention his name?
Don’t you think he should be cursed as well?