Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY" By Dagachew

.."At that time the Sha’ebia controlled Eritrea, including the port of Assab, and everyone was tired of fighting. President Issayas was making reasonable noises, talking about the possibility of future federation with Ethiopia.
The ambitions of Eritrea’s ruling clique to control the Ethiopian economy eventually lead them to war – when Sha’ebia launched the invasion in May 1998 Eritrean leaders such Haile Wolde Tensae boasted that they would be in Addis Ababa in 2 weeks, and the problem for them was not the ousting of the EPRDF, but what and whom they would put in its place.
They were convinced that the federal arrangement in Ethiopia, the loosening of central control and opening up of politics meant that the country was hopelessly weakened, and only a small push was needed to bring about disintegration."

I took the above paragraphs from an article posted on this forum by G/S and written by Ato. Dagnachew.

I am in agreement with the writer’s general analysis of Shabia and its ambitions of destabilizing Ethiopia. Based on this article, however, I am not convinced that CUD and its supporters would have anything to do Shabia. I have read some pro-EPRDF articles in which CUD and its leaders were accused of promoting “expansionist” policy, which I suppose is a code word for Ethiopia’s coastline. In my view these contentions may have some truth if it were made against groups such as EPRP, Meison and/or OLF.

In the interest of political civility, Ato. Dagnachew be obliged to explain his allegations in greater detail before he makes a swooping accusation of treasons against a legally registered party. Without being unfair to Ato. Daghachew, his accusations seem to be a reminiscent of the Derg Days: “guilty by association”. EPRDF would be well served if it stays away from such political culture.

That said, however, I would also like to ask Ato. Dagachew to answer the following questions:

1. Why did EPRDF stop the 2000 war short of total victory against Shabia?
2. Why did EPRDF sign the Alger’s agreement that was clearly contrary to Ethiopia’s interest?
3. Why did EPRDF request UN soldiers to protect its northern frontier?
4. Why is EPRDF out of step with the views and wishes of the Ethiopian people when it comes to its policies of Shabia and Eritrea?

Even for a distant observer like my self, these questions continue to remain puzzling. Based on his writing, Ato. Dagnachew seems to be well informed on events surrounding Shabia and its policies. If so, he may shade some lights to these and other question that continue to create doubts among many who simply want prosperity and democracy for Ethiopia.

Re: "SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY" By Dagachew

Thank very much you Yilma.
People please read Mr. Dagnatchew under
STILL UCD IS IN STATE OF BEWILDERMENT! By Gebreselassie Zemariame

Mr. Dagnatchew you have a lot of enunciations here,
Your article looks to extrapolate, and expound Mulugeta’s articles in which he enunciates
Ethiopian diasporas(Derg luminaries according to Mulugeta) who oppose and demonstrate against woyane are conspiring with EPLF to disintegrate Ethiopia.
First Ato Hailu Shawel was a highly regarded executive in (Previously Dutch owned) wonji sugar mills management and he was selected as a technical person because of merits but not as a politician to manage government owned state farms with a ministerial rank. You can easily find a lot of innocent people who worked as technocrats for the government and also lost family by the derg including Tigreans and Eritrean’s because the government was the only employer. Ato Hailu as he said In BBC tried to bring a change like Boris Yelsin in USSR from within and finally saw the evil derg in the eye and said this is not just and right I am going resign. Pro Mesifin did not sign the death warrants of the 61 Ministers of the imperial regime, in November 1974, because he would be in jail by now. The so called death warrant that was used as evidence by EPDRF to charge DERG prisoners did not have his signature and I wonder how his kids in north America would let you get away with that.
You said “Every day CUD leaders were attacking the election process and the Ethiopian government. It was not long before the news on (Eritrean) Dimtsi Hafash started to carry these reports, in great detail. CUD and Sha’ebia militants in the diaspora found that they had a lot in common, and virtually arm in arm, marched to lobby G8 leaders to stop aid to Ethiopia.”
I will tell we Ethiopians in Diaspora have nothing in common with EPLF. First, we are saying Meles himself is letting his Eritrean cousins win in U.N politics after we won the war in Badame. Meles was advised by many but never raised the issue of Assab in UN as the Afar people (which I proudly say are with the opposition in UEDF as ARDU) are demanding the return their stolen land by Eritrea. The Opposition is standing for the people of Afar and to the restoration of our millitaries victory. Either you are confused or spinning.

You said “CUD is sending out the message that Ethiopia can no longer rely on its armed forces, and in doing so is sending out an invitation – “come in and do what you failed to do in 1998.”
I do not know if you were hibernating in 1998 don’t you remember when Meles kept low profile and was begging Issayas to stop the invasion, true fighter like Samora and Seye emerged. CUD as well as UEDF is saying Meles leadership failed us.

You said “We have already heard CUD leaders calling for an end of aid to Ethiopia. What price are they willing to pay to gain power? “

This is another spin. The campaign says do not give any money to Meles directly but to projects that can be audited because he is not accountable as it is evident in this election. You should have called this article like Al Franken’s book “Liars and the lying liars who tell them”