Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A TORTURE ARTICLE TO GROUP OF NEGDITES!

US and EU come to the defense of our democracy

It’s not quite often that we witness Washington and Brussels agreeing on a foreign policy issue and then speaking with one clear voice. But Ethiopia’s current political climate, not to mention the clamor for some form of intervention by Ethiopians in the United States and Europe must have provided these rich and powerful nations to spell out in no uncertain terms what course of action in Ethiopia could expect to get their accolade. The unprecedented joint statement between the US and EU of the 13th July 2005, therefore, administered a coup de grace to the Negedites who had very much hoped that the international community would give – at least a tacit approval – to their anticipated action of mugging Ethiopia’s electoral process. The Joint Statement, on the other hand, seems to be a blessing to the ruling EPDRF which had all along refused to be brow-beaten by the Negedites.

Washington and Brussels – Ethiopia’s principal partners – only know too well that a peaceful, democratic and pluralistic Ethiopia is in the best interest of their respective countries. In addition it is but logical that it is only democracies that come to the defense of other democracies. True, there have been instances in the past when the US and Europe had overtly supported insurgencies, as was the case with the former satellites in the 1990s. But these were insurgencies against a tyrant and his tyrannical rule. It is this deliberate Negedite’s refusal to accept that no one, least of all the US and Europe, is prepared to buy their claim that their detour from the electoral process ought to be viewed as a legitimate insurgency against a tyrant. This stand of Negedites, continues to be mugged by the reality on the ground. If Negedites thought Ethiopia was not a democracy, why did they participate in the May 2005 Election? Why did they even take part in the panel of investigation? To have participated in the Election and subsequent investigation – according to the Constitution and the law of the land – and then take recourse to violence when it failed to win a majority is tantamount to a puppet show. Just imagine what the world of foot-ball would be like if the loser of a match takes recourse and starts mugging the law-abiding spectators because it doesn’t like FIFA’s constitution!

If only this ‘patriot’ and ‘democrat’ in Comrade Negede Gobeze were there in the 70s, 80s and 90s, then, he would definitely have been our Yushenko today.

Now NEBE’s investigations into alleged irregularities is nearing its completion, it was prudent of the Joint Declaration in reminding all parties “to renounce all violence, ethnic hate messages via the media or Internet, and any other action that is likely to further increase tension in Ethiopia.” That this Election has been divisive is an understatement, however, it is also true that rampant rumor has been adding fuel to the fire. Infact, nowadays, if one who doesn’t toy with the evil idea of an uprising taking place in Addis as we speak is not regarded as patriotic enough. I believe it was Emperor Menelik II who was reputed to have remarked: “The power of rumor is mightier than an army in defeating an enemy.” No better a section of our society than Ethiopia’s Fourth Estate, therefore, seems to be enjoying good fishing in troubled waters. If there is a country called Ethiopia, she is either dead or in a coma; if Meles Zenawi attends the G8 Meeting in Gleneagles with other invited African leaders he has either defected or has been severely reprimanded by Tony Blair and George Bush. While still on wild rumor, about two weeks ago, while attending a briefing by Ethiopia’s Minister of Education, I received a call on my mobile from a friend of mine informing me of the spectacular defection of Woizero Genet Zewdie to the United Kingdom, when I challenged him with the stark reality he said that if I think so, then I am not a patriot. My lesson of the day was, therefore, in order to be regarded a patriot by today’s vociferous minority I have to be economical with the truth, not to say fabricate a story.

Re: A TORTURE ARTICLE TO GROUP OF NEGDITES!

Ato Mulugeta,

You accuse the opposition of inciting violence. You language is stronger than evn Bereket Simon. The very governments (US and EU) that you are using as an alabi to support your story, have made it clear in no uncertain terms that the government was the one that used violence. Tony Blair went as far as canceling UK's aid because of the violence perpetrated by your pay masters.

Yes, Meles was at the G8 meeting, but look at where he was pushed back. Meles had fallen from being Tony's and Bush's poster child to an embarassment. He was at the end of the line up hidden behind other dignitaries and his place in the front of the line up was given to the NIgerian leader. This is not fiction. This is a reality frozen in time by thousands of official pictures.

You concluded your article by saying: "My lesson of the day was, therefore, in order to be regarded a patriot by today’s vociferous minority I have to be economical with the truth, not to say fabricate a story." You seem to know your self very well. Terkimerki.

Mamo Qilo

Mr. Mulugeta Aserate Kassa:
Your series of articles seems be geared towards spreading hopelessness and depressing the spirit to challenge and change the current regime.
Your First article pointed out how CUD will disintegrate after giving people false hope because it is a coalition of pacifist thinking legal resistance and hawkish violence perpetrators like Ato Ledetu.
Previously you wrote with a subtle Victorian paragraphs as follows:
Reading between the lines of the meeting, it has become evidently clear, therefore, that not only was CUD’s allegations suffering from veracity shortfall, but most serious of all, innocent men and women were made to demonstrate and become the fatal victims of a clash with the police on a false premise. The charge of EPDRF stealing votes did not happen and if it was alleged to have happened the allegation was – to borrow from a popular …

Who do you think will appreciate your analysis?

Today you are pointing UEDF and Negede Gobeze’s skim is going down the drain.

You said “If Negedites thought Ethiopia was not a democracy, why did they participate in the May 2005 Election?”

Let me use your own Analogy, when ever there is a corrupt refry you go to FiFA and if there is also corruption in FIFA you appeal and expose the corruption to member states. If you are not still satisfied you go and work towards reforming FIFA. Life is a struggle and you keep on trying.
Does your truth include:
- a democratic country where peaceful demonstration is banned
- electoral commission is set up by the government
- opposition leaders on and off house arrest- 3000 students are imprisoned
- at least 50 will be killed and every election
- Where most of the opposition national are not allowed to participate in anything political process for the 12 of the 14 years of politics.
You can openly declare your support for EPDRF but do not hide behind the patriotic name kassa which is a shame to your uncles Abera kassa and the rest who sacrificed themselves fighting Italians for our Freedom and gamble politics with it. People are tolerating your name. You do not want to become the enemy of the people do you Mr. Mulugeta?

Something tells me this is not VJ who wrote it. Something also tells me that the style of writing is that of Hagere Ethiopia. Hegere Ethiopia, cut this crap. Post in your own name.

Mamo Qilo

It is me VJ who wrote that

VJ,

It is then hard to see how your views square with Ibrahim. Now I know why you told him off to stop his "idiotic non substantiated gossip and innuendoes about TPLF history.... and Do not pop dung from your mind."

Mamo Qilo

I AM NOT SURPRISED GROUP OF NEGEDITES AND CRYPTOFASCIST GATHER TOGETHER AND CALLED "ARKEBE IS DURUYE"