Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The howling paradox BY DAGMAWI

The howling paradox

By Dagmawi

“…They (foreigners) don’t know our (Ethiopian) culture, our behavior; how an Ethiopian behaves under different circumstances”. This was taken from Ato Hailu Shawl’s interview with the BBC’s Hard Talk program. It is really offending when Ato Hailu tried to tell the world to judge Ethiopians not by their individual deeds but by their national origin. He told the world that Ethiopians have double standards; Ethiopians act differently to foreigners and to their people and said they are worst to their people. What a shame! Of course, such type of deceiving character describes Ato Hailu himself more than any body else as he keeps changing his position from time to time during his political tenure using underhanded tactics. One thing that Ato Hailu keeps straight is his behavior of dancing to the beat of bloodbath and violence at the expense of our people, be it now or during the “Red Terror” period. We shall not allow Ato Hailu to stripe away our values! .

Stephen Sacker, the journalist, was also very stunned by Ato Hailu’s position of being against a foreign aid to Ethiopia and said: “Could it be that you (Hailu Shawl), with your own political ambition, are using the current situation against the people of Ethiopia. You now are advising that aid should be reconsidered.” Stephen was expecting from Ato Hailu a comprehensive response, which reflects a considerable will and need of the Ethiopian people. But, the undisputable fact seems that Ato Hailu went to the extent of blocking a way for foreigners who need to save and help Ethiopians. His strange character couldn’t allow him, at least, to pick a choice of the greatest good or the least harm to Ethiopian people. By trying to stop a foreign aid, he preferred to pick a choice of the worst harm with no good value in it.

This type of choice is not a surprise for those who do not care about the breezy synopsis of a famine debacle. Especially for those who had a gross connection with mascaras, like that of red terror, famine is just an element of death statistics in Ethiopia. We know how those guys contributed to the 1984/85 famine tragedy of Ethiopia by hiding it from the world. But, again Stephen Sacker was mystified when Ato Hailu told him that it took him more than two years to realize about the nature of the Red terror and the Dergue regime. The journalist still remained unpersuaded. Ato Hailu found it harder than ever to defend himself and said “I have children. To protect your children there are certain things you do…” What a tyranny?! Others had to suffer, others had to die, and others had to languish in order to let Ato Hailu feed his children!

Ato Hailu’s interview reminds me of similar confusion and paradox reflected by another leader of CUD. During the election period, Professor Mesfin Weldemariam (one of the architect of CUD) was one of the speakers in a meeting organized by opposition in Washington DC. I was shocked when Professor Mesfin tried to downgrade the current government by calling them “Eregnoch”, to mean shepherds. I have never expected such outrageous comment from a person who claims to know all about geographical science of Ethiopia. Ethiopia has more than 85% of agrarian population, which one way, or the other, is highly attached with the daily activities of “Eregnoch”. Attacking somebody’s personal or group choice is an illegal act. But what makes it worst is that the professor knows that the 85% of our population is in the agriculture sector not because of its choice but because of the absence of any other alternatives. But still, it is the “Eregnoch” group which has paved a way for all Ethiopians, including Professor Mesfin, for the first time in history of Ethiopia to exercise their democratic rights which includes free press, independent judiciary system, free election process. Professor Mesfin is now at his best in exploiting these opportunities. He exercises his freedom of speech through so many channels including through his newspaper “Addis Zena”, an opposition newspaper in Ethiopia. The Ethiopian Human Rights Council is also serving him as another outlet to express his howling hatred against the current government. He has also witnessed when Ethiopian judges granted CUD’s motion for judgment notwithstanding different verdicts. But, it is very paradox to see that Professor Mesfin has disrespect for “Eregnoch”, and at the same time the Professor wants to be the leader of those Ethiopians. I think some thing needs to be fixed here.

While on the same topic, allow me to shuttle around the leadership of CUD and mention a point in relation to Dr. Birhanu Nega’s open speech in Brussels. Discussing issues regarding observers of the Ethiopian election, he defamed Jimmy Carter’s judgment by sarcastically commenting on his age and said, “I think it is because of an old age, Carter, at first, delivered mixed up opinions…”[this was followed by a laughter from the crowd]. Is Dr. Brihanu telling us that the former President has a problem of judgment because of his age? Is he telling us that he was not fit for the job of observer because of his age? I don’t think that Dr. Birhanu has any right to make such judgment against any body. To do so is not only a case of defamation but also a case of discrimination.

I would advise the leadership of CUD to refrain from applying such discriminatory stereotyping approach. Discrimination and stereotyping do not take us long in the street of democracy, equality and unity of Ethiopia. Democracy and reliable unity seems the emerging fact in Ethiopia and I don’t want to see either the CUD or its leadership locked up in a howling sprit while we, the rest of Ethiopians, are prospering in a strong unity based on respect, equality and diversity.

God Bless Ethiopia.