Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Challenge to Dr. Ibrahm

Sir,

I challenge you to debate on this forum on any substantive matter on Ethiopian politics, including on nationalities. The last time we did so, you promised never to mention the term Amhara in a negative way.

Sir, if you accept this challenge we can both be better educated about eachothers position. Sir I can debate you on politics, economics and the law and assure you taht, sir, I would do to you what I did to Hagere Ethiopia. Sir, I would dessimate you, intellectually speaking. Sir, you have a PHD and you are now going for your JD, and I carry no formal education beyond high school, but can still render you lifeless if you accept my challenge.

Mamo Qilo

Re: Challenge to Dr. Ibrahm

You seem to be an arrogant son of gun. Most Somalian, and others who are bitter about ethnic issues become mentally sick when people like you go on with the Amhara mantra that you are the winners and true Israelites. This Ethiopian's Judo-Christian 3000 B.C is self created Myth. Here are some notes:
-To these day I have never found one archeological proof or historical reference that Sabeans are actually part of Axumite empire. To the contrary Axumite empire historically started around the birth of Christ and the Sabeans kingdom archeological remains stretches from present day Yemen to Oman but not Ethiopia. The only proof for Axumite empire connection to Sabeans is the Geeze syllable and a possible later on genetic mixing with the indigenous hametic people through trade about 800 years
after Sabean civilization started. Sabeans were not the only traders on the red sea. There were the Phoenicians as well. The original and the true cu****ic/Nubians people who are the indigenous hamites and today’s Oromos, Somalis, Omotic, Bejas and Kemat/kemet etc ruled the horn. Anyhow, after a series of Hametic rule the Hametic-Semetic started their dominance not during Axumite empire as unlike the popular belief by the Amharas and Tigreans but during Lebene-dengle theocratic maneuver from the Zague dynasty which is also Hametic by the way. The pure cu****e who are indigenous to the horn were marginalized by the Arab-Semetic influence in Somalia and false continuation of Solomon-Sheba Judo-Christian culture in Ethiopia by the habesha(hametic-semetic) people . You see history is your enemy.
-Indigenous people could have easily become pro-Ethiopian if they were treated as deserved during Haile Sellase / Menelik whom most Amhara elders to this day worship. He exasperated this problem by making Indigenous people feel like foreigners. According to some earlier balata-fetawrari habesha(hametic-semetic) writers Oromos historically were supposed to be migrants from Somalia and hence from India however today it is known that even the Dravidians in early India are now traced back to the horn cu****es people.
For your Information Historically Nubians, Hamites and Cu****es are the same family of people. So we are the true owners of the land.
-Mengistu gave lip service but never bothered to make a real difference and left.
-EPDRF used the anguish of indigenous people as a resource to stay in power but recognized and implemented some changes.
-Just because Dr. Beyene Petros and Dr. Merara Gudina are working with CUD do not dream of back to Habesha dominated constitutional change. The southern people coupled with the Oromos are the only real democratic power in Ethiopia and there votes are that count most. They are the ones robbed by EPDRF not the CUD.

Are you still Inflated?
I can back up my historical statements if you can as well.

VJ,

I ask for your forgivness. Sir, I have to be excused both in my name and my ancestor's name. Sir, I come from the Amhara and Oromo ethnic group, but sir I am an Ethiopian, blood and bone and mentality. sir you have an amazing command of logic and history. Sir, I cannot possibly argue with you. You, sir, are above my mental and intellectual ability. Sir, the person I challenged to debate me is Dr. Ibrahim. I ask for your mercy and forgiveness. I tremble under your command and am prepared to serve you for life, sir.
Sir, you should not waste your valuable time arguing with a moron such as myself. It is not without reason that they callme Mamo Qilo. Thank you sir.

Mamo Qilo
Mamo Qilo

Mamo Qilo,
You better be careful. Yoy are becoming tedious.

City: Addis

Dear Mr .VJ:
I really admire your eloquent and educational piece of historical comment. Please keep posting this kind of truth that will help the settlers to go back to their original home which is in the first place not in the current Ethiopia.
They think that we are fool when they are mixing fabicated history and the name Ethiopia in order to sneak and access to the resources of the people that you are candily described.
They do not know that the coloniaslist have coined the phrase tribe, primitive and other jargon so as to exploit the resources of Africa. This drank people with 3000 years of legendary history are thinking to fool true Ethiopian at this period when the camel that is grazing in Somali region knows its territory.
We, Somalis, Oromos and others of ethnic group that you cited in your historical piece, should claim Ethioia and advance the idea of not 3000 years, but infinite years in that part of the world.
Mamo should certainly prepared himself better before he threw his unguided missile a la Getachaw Haile and other settlers. Moreover, Mamo and his fellow countries men who alwyas resor t to mix Oromo and Amahra bla bla admitted the reality and faced with courage. We are not talking about ethnicity in this thread of analysis, but we are stressing how to manage resources and distribute fairly.
As I said before I will say again and again, Amahra and Somalis children will peceafully on equal footing as long as one can not impose its fabricated hisotry to the others.
Instead of relying on fast-written, poorly researched, intelligence reports, the settlers have to spend over a year studying Ethiopian people such Somalis, Harari, Oromos, Afar, Gambelas to a name a few.
VJ, I still don’t think Mamo gets it quite right the line of your htinking.That is why, he is still parroting what he heard from his speudo-scholars such as Getachaw Haile who only know the language of myth and fabricatred history.

Email: shirdons@yahoo.com

City: Washington DC

Dr. Ibrahim,

I challenged to debate you. Why not take my challenge and we can even agree on the format of our discussion and the substance. It would be educational and we will learn from eachother.

Your friend wrote one line that I found interesting, the rest is not relevant to our discussion. He wrote: "EPDRF used the anguish of indigenous people as a resource to stay in power but recognized and implemented some changes." The first half of his sentence negates what you have been preaching. Sir, take my challenge and let us see who is saying what and who is engaed in bla bla bla.

My views rest somewhere between two extreme views one expressed by you and people like professor Getachew. Accept my challenge and give me a chance to knock you in public.

Mamo Qilo
Cyber Bully

Mamo Qilo,
There is no doubt in my mind you will knock this knucklehead, Ibrahim down. He is scared of you. Why are you calling him Dr.? I bet he got his PHD through the Internet with in three months.

Dear Mamo,
Let us begin our discussion on the article 39 of new Ethiopian constitution. Tell us what is yoiur view on this article.It is very simple and do not go around and around as Getachaw Haile does .

Who said Ibrahim has to pick the topic? We don't want to hear about article 39.

Ibrahim,what does article 39 did for Eriteria?nothing what so ever.What does benefit article 39 to Somalia region?absolutely nothing to gain.What does OLF gains by separating Amharans/Oromo families not to mention Urage/Amhara/Oromo you **** right absolutely nothing,nada so mr.Ibrahim whats if we loose Somali region you gain what?your eyes covered by hates you can't even have decent and civilized thought because your thought and perseption is to hate Amharans,well mr.Ibrahim you like it or not Amharans created by GOD your hate brain can do nothing bout it.Period.

Email: DillingerJ1@aol.com

City: DC

Dear DillingerJ1:
Why are you running to false and fabricated history instead of answering the quesiton?
Havin selected article 39, I do not mean to entertain the idea of separation, but I am sure you just denying the facts. Ethiopian nationalities and natins was one of the core of Ethiopian political movement through its history. For example, EPRP and Meson, USUNA and other European Student movement have had their say on this question.
Moreover, tell me guys why do not like other people to organize and manage their business through the mechanism of Federal system.

Ibrahim,before you go further,where is your stand being Ethiopian/Somali?

Ibrahim,every states in Ethiopia can be Federate and every states can collect thier taxes like you and i we pay taxes one for state the other for states,but in all both states has one common language to communicate,its called english,how english came bout the national language of USA you do your home work.

correction,the other taxes to federal.Ibrahim i hope you pay taxex.

Dear DillingerJ:
I am not Ethiopian in the eyes of settlers as Indien will never be an American in the eyes of European. They called them Indian tribes. The only reason is that they took the rich land of Indian and fabricatd a myth as if they came through the ice that is bridging Asia and America.
That is why, you need to ask for more explanation your friend of old Ethiopia and named after your Ethiopia; although, she is an expert in animal rights.
Three weeks ago, a good freind of mine was interviewed by the Voice of Amhara( America). The next day, a settler who is still living in the mindset of Getachaw Haile school of thought said that they can not call themselves Ethiopian Somali, they are ogaden. I hope you train you cadres and foot soldiers who are red and uncooked as you kitfo.
On the contrary, I am true and genuine Ethiopian within the definition of New Ethiopia that our honorable and wise Prime Minister Meles has endorsed and is struggling to crate a democratic Ethiopia.
Neftegnas only see with eyes glass that only view them the Saga of harar, but not the people.
Shame you on you. If Meels was not around, I wil not live with your settlers in one country.

Ibrahim,you keep refering settlers,well lets see who those native Indians came from,they crossed the Siberian rigid ice freez winter are none other than the Mongolians whom migrated way before Ibrahim your ancesters reached Africa.

Ibrahim,you live in fear that if what CUD takes over?the bottom line is you yourself gave a chance to Melesse and not working,so give a chance to CUD.

Dear Dillingir J1:
I do not think that your myopic outlook will help to see this text. Please read and it helps you to find your way since you are a lost man in the middle of twisted and fabricated history of a certain Getachaw Haile.

You seem to be an arrogant son of gun. Most Somalian, and others who are bitter about ethnic issues become mentally sick when people like you go on with the Amhara mantra that you are the winners and true Israelites. This Ethiopian's Judo-Christian 3000 B.C is self created Myth. Here are some notes:
-To these day I have never found one archeological proof or historical reference that Sabeans are actually part of Axumite empire. To the contrary Axumite empire historically started around the birth of Christ and the Sabeans kingdom archeological remains stretches from present day Yemen to Oman but not Ethiopia. The only proof for Axumite empire connection to Sabeans is the Geeze syllable and a possible later on genetic mixing with the indigenous hametic people through trade about 800 years
after Sabean civilization started. Sabeans were not the only traders on the red sea. There were the Phoenicians as well. The original and the true cu****ic/Nubians people who are the indigenous hamites and today’s Oromos, Somalis, Omotic, Bejas and Kemat/kemet etc ruled the horn. Anyhow, after a series of Hametic rule the Hametic-Semetic started their dominance not during Axumite empire as unlike the popular belief by the Amharas and Tigreans but during Lebene-dengle theocratic maneuver from the Zague dynasty which is also Hametic by the way. The pure cu****e who are indigenous to the horn were marginalized by the Arab-Semetic influence in Somalia and false continuation of Solomon-Sheba Judo-Christian culture in Ethiopia by the habesha(hametic-semetic) people . You see history is your enemy.
-Indigenous people could have easily become pro-Ethiopian if they were treated as deserved during Haile Sellase / Menelik whom most Amhara elders to this day worship. He exasperated this problem by making Indigenous people feel like foreigners. According to some earlier balata-fetawrari habesha(hametic-semetic) writers Oromos historically were supposed to be migrants from Somalia and hence from India however today it is known that even the Dravidians in early India are now traced back to the horn cu****es people.
For your Information Historically Nubians, Hamites and Cu****es are the same family of people. So we are the true owners of the land.
-Mengistu gave lip service but never bothered to make a real difference and left.
-EPDRF used the anguish of indigenous people as a resource to stay in power but recognized and implemented some changes.
-Just because Dr. Beyene Petros and Dr. Merara Gudina are working with CUD do not dream of back to Habesha dominated constitutional change. The southern people coupled with the Oromos are the only real democratic power in Ethiopia and there votes are that count most. They are the ones robbed by EPDRF not the CUD.

Are you still Inflated?
I can back up my historical statements if you can as well.

As for myself optimistic CUD/EUDF WILL DO MUCH BETTER JOB TO SECURE THE INTEGRITI OF ETHIOPIANS AS A WHOLE BETTER THAN MELESE WHO LIED TELLING THE NATION ONLY 26 LIVES LOST.

Ibrahim,let me educate you,say your words with effective or your words not substance.

Ibrahim,you happy an Amharan Ethiopian died and your Woyane master telling you and collecting chat money tax?

I have an interesting observation and a hunch. Mamo Kilo and Ibrhaim Shirdon is the same person.

I am noticing the similarities of word choices, orders and use of subordinate phrases and sentence structures.

I am planning to do auto regressive analysis of observable correlations and distributions of words frequencies. Using IFLE program one can isolate the themes, moods of each paragraph. I will break words into their roots with grammatical notations. In addition, using Attributional Theory (AT)you can detect the author literary finger prints and DNA by observing heterogeneous usage of words, frequencies and type of typos of the same words.

Moreover, using Auto- Plagiarizing Detective (APD) and focusing at a specific point of view in a dimension (paragraph) and letting a designated pointed provides a disproportionate amount of verbal visibility, I will come up with answer.

T S Rasta

City: Cambridge, MA

Dear TS Rasta

Good luck to your analysis and I can't wait to learn your findings. I am flattered you want to study my prose and sentence composition. This is exactly my aim: to have you fulls wonder about who I am. I am totally in control here and manupulating your mind. Welcome sir. Good luck with your experiement and analysis. If you want me to compose a letter, I would do that as well. Therefore, you don't have sift throught literally thousands of posts I contributed to this forum. I am finally taking you and the forum to the height of cybetery never achieved in ethio discussion before.

Mamo Qulo aka
Ibrahim Shirdon aka
DillingerJ1 aka
Gebreselassie Zemariame aka
Al Amoudi aka
Bula Geberdin aka
Cyber Bully

This is completely insane. I didn't write the above note. Somebody hijacked my name and impersonating as me. I am forced to abonden my name.

Mamo,i read your bio,what i read,you realy mamo qilo.

Rasta,

The above two postings are not mine. Somebody elese is fooling with my name, but I must admit he is rather a smart person. In any case, Please do not waste your time. I am not Ibrahim. I am ure your analysis would show that.

Mamo QIlo

Dear Mamo Qilo,

Ok and I will work on it. BTW, do you remember this story?

When the anonymously written novel Primary Colors was riding high on the bestsellers' list, speculation ran wild about the identity of the author. During the frenzy, an editor at New York Magazine saw a story about a professor at Vassar College who had shown by linguistic analysis that William Shakespeare was the author of an anonymously written poem. The magazine then engaged Professor Don Foster to examine Primary Colors to see if he could determine who had written it. Foster analyzed various samples of published writings, and finally saw in the articles of Joe Klein, a columnist at Newsweek, various distinguishing characteristics in his literary style that to his satisfaction identified Klein as the author of Primary Colors. When Foster began his investigation, he had never even heard of Joe Klein, but after he had failed to uncover the identity of Anonymous by analyzing the writings of various political insiders, he broadened his search and finally discovered in Klein's articles the clues he had been looking for.

After Foster announced his conclusion, Klein appeared on television on February 15, 1996, and denied that he had written the book. "It's not me; I didn't do it," Klein said. "This is silly." Foster, however, stuck by his guns and insisted that the stylistic evidence was too apparent to deny. Finally, on July 17, 1996, Klein appeared on television again to announce that he was indeed the author of Primary Colors. Literary sleuth Don Foster, who had found himself the butt of ridicule after Klein's denial, had been vindicated.

In April, the TV news magazine Dateline interviewed Professor Foster, who explained to reporter John Hockenberry the methods he had used to trace an anonymously written work to Joe Klein. He explained that he first did a textual analysis of Primary Colors to identify words, phrases, and expressions that were repeatedly used and to look for "quirky expressions" and peculiarities of punctuation. Afterwards, he simply analyzed writing samples until he located a consistent usage of the same "telltale" signs of authorship. Sample after sample was rejected until finally he happened onto the writings of Joe Klein and found what he had been looking for. The literary quirks and features that Foster had isolated in Primary Colors occurred with such frequency in Klein's articles that despite Klein's initial denial, Foster knew he was Anonymous.

City: Cambridge, MA

Dear Settlers:
While you are very busy to fabricate story and to mislead the public and the international community, Ethiopian people are going closer and closer to realize the democratization and rule of law that Meles and his cabinet decide to implement.
Ethiopian of all walk of lifes have been particpated in the recent election and voted for women.
Look at the result:
BODY:
The National Electoral Board of Ethiopia (NEBE) said that 59 of the women candidates who contested the May 15 elections in the 307 constituencies whose official results were announced Friday are women. And 53 were fielded by the Ethiopian Peoples' Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF).

The reported number of women candidates won federal seats from these constituencies in six states (SNNPS) and those under the Provisional Government of the Addis Ababa City.

Accordingly, EPRDF candidates won big for parliament from the Tigray, Amhara, Oromia and Southern Nations, Nationalities and Peoples states, where a total of eight political parties fielded their candidates.

Three women candidates fielded by CUD for seats in the Addis Ababa and SNNPS won votes.

A woman candidate fielded by the Afar National Democratic Party and also by the Benshangul Gumuz Peoples Democratic Unity Front (BGPDUP) won federal seats.

EPRDF had fielded 25 women candidates in Oromia for parliamentary seats, who won big in their respective constituencies, while 14 of the 38 winners of the parliamentary seats from the Tigray State are women.

In the Ahmara State where 138 parliamentary seats are reserved, five women candidates fielded by EPRDF won votes.

Two of the 23 candidates who entirely won parliamentary seats reserved for Addis Ababa are women.

In the Afar State where eight federal seats are reserved, six seats are taken by the candidates of the Afar National Democratic Party and one of these is woman. One woman won federal seat from the Benshangul Gumuz State.

In Gambella, Harari and Dire Dawa Provisional Administration, no woman candidate won parliamentary seats.

CUD only helped EPRDF by bringing
ludicrous assertions and spoiling the chance
for a real change.

Was it by design or a sheer stupidity ?
time will tell.

pls don't curse just relax and
wait for a week or two for the double whammies.

Lemlem:
Let me put the verbatim of you message. It reads as follows:

Hagere Ethiopia: Yourself being Tigraye and tell
Meles what he really is,
“a tyrant bloodthirsty killer
shows how much you love your country.”
All God fearing Ethiopian Tigrayes
should follow your path and say
“Not in our Name.”

What I want to ask you is this:
You wrote, “Feudalism will
never come back to Ethiopia”
Don’t you think it is here
already under different
name "Meles Zenwaye?"

Listen, as the Honorable Hailu Shawl put it perfectly I, the Tigre, voted for a Kinijit candidate who is a non tigrean. I live in Teklehaimanot area where over 85% are Tigres. The last 14 years has taught many Tigres a lot of things. In 1991 many Tigres thought their time has come. Many even dared to say "the throne taken from us by Menelik came back once again to us." They considered it as a ressurection of King Yohannes dynasty. As time elapsed the truth started unfolding itself and almost all said, "awekush nakush". No more euphoria over "yetigre mengist". Almost all have understood there should not such thing as tigre, oromo, amhara. Almost all now want a government that truly represents the interests of all Ethiopian people irrespective of ethnicity, religion etc. Many admitted the grave error they commited and confessed in public. Gebru Asrat in public asked apology from the Ethiopian people. Others followed suit. My sister Lemlem, what I want to advise you is that it should be we all Ethiopians that have to say to Meles "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH". THIS IS not AT ALL A TASK YOU CAN FREELY ASSIGN TO ONE ETHNIC GROUP. It is wrong. It is outrageous. Your approach is a sure recipe for defeat. TPLF is working 7/24 to create unbridgeable intellectual and emotional divide. Don't be an easy prey for their evil design. Meles is engaged into terrorising everybody with his blanket accusation of the opposition being "anti Tigre". He in the past intimidated many politicians into silence, even those who loathed for him. He is determined to win everybody to his interest NOT by the force of his example or ideas, but by the force of arms. I am sure you are NOT advising me to go for a head on collision and sacrifice myself in a silly manner. Assume yourself in my position and try to imagine what you could have done. You can read what I wrote to a certain guy called GEBRE. Finally, I didn't mean to offend you. I am a type of person who, when gets angry, never uses coded diplomatic language. Otherwise I am an engaging conversationist. I am also eoquent and persuasive. Maybe my straight forwardness is a dreadful vice of me. Take ONLY the good side of me. I hate also guys like MAMO QILO, who are sanctimonious demagogues parading as PATRIOTS whereas they are actually mercenaries willing to defend a guy like MUDI 7/24. The MAMO QILOS are NOT reliable. They serve anyone who fills their bottomless appetite. Hodam as they are, they even try to advertise PEPSI in a forum like this meant and dedicated to discuss the current affairs of our country. They are sickening bunch of vultures. There are many MAMO QILOS here in Addis. You find them in Sheraton at office bar every night with a bottle of very expensive whiskies. Let me tell you what I witnessed one day. I went there to attend a weding ceremony. Mudi was dead drunk. He started spitting on all vultures who had surrounded him. They cleaned their face and smiled to him. He then splashed a glass full of whiskey over them. They again smiled. I tell you the MAMO QILOS at the office bar are not human beings. They are 70% dogs and 30% human beings with severe mental retrdation.

Email: hagere_ethiopia@yahoo.com

Dear Memebrs:
This quotes is part of an article that will be published in African Affairs journal. Ethiopian should pay attention to the words substance than emotion.

Prime Minister Zenawi articulated this position and noted that Africa’s ethnic reality could be ignored at our peril.

eople in Africa feel that they can wish away ethnic difference. Experience
in Rwanda has taught us this is not the case. Experience in Liberia has taught us
that this is not the case. What we are trying to do in Ethiopia is to recognize that
ethnic differences are part of life in Africa, and try to deal with them in a rational
manner. Rather than hide the fact that we have ethnic difference, we are saying
people should express it freely. That, I think, pre-empts the type of implosion
we’ve had in Rwanda.

"Ibrahim" of Tigray...You seem to be a worshipper of Meles Zenawi...I challage you to write a reply defending Meles who has been severely attacked in the letter below.
Come on...

Open Letter to Meles Zenawi
By Abebe Gelaw

First and foremost, I would like to thank you wholeheartedly for waiving the confidentiality of your rebuttal letter to the US Congress and dated 29th June 2005 by ordering the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Walta Information Centre and Aiga Forum to post your letter on their respective websites. As you might have expected, your letter, which has been thrown in the public domain to grab the maximum attention it so deserves, has stirred a great deal of interest.

Your reassurance to the Honourable US Congressmen and Women as to your unswerving resolve and commitment to graciously grant democracy to the poor people of Ethiopia has been widely acclaimed and noticed. However, I should be honest enough to tell you that the overall contents of your letter have raised more concerns and questions than they were meant to address.
You said: “I am particularly relieved and grateful to Your Honourables for reassuring me that it is in the mutual interest of both countries that Ethiopia be as secure, stable and prosperous as possible.” I think this assertion gives the impression that you were less worried about the possibility of losing a great ally like the United States. It appears that you were so troubled by the fury of the US Congress that you spent so many sleepless nights worrying about its repercussions on the security, stability and prosperity of Ethiopia. I am pleased that you were relieved to find words of comfort in the letter of protest in which the lawmakers mainly expressed their concerns over grave human rights violations and extrajudicial killings in our country.
I should be truthful enough to express my displeasure at your failure to address their main concerns with utmost candour and integrity to your conscience. For the sake of refreshing your memory, here is what the honourable lawmakers said: “State-sponsored violence against peaceful, if enthusiastic, demonstrators must be considered unacceptable in a civilized nation such as Ethiopia. The beatings, arrests and shootings of hundreds of your citizens not only threatens wider social upheaval but also mars an election that, by all accounts, represents an advancement over the elections of 2000.”
You replied by asserting: “We embarked on the process of democratic reform in our country not to please or displease anyone, but because we are convinced that there can be neither stability nor prosperity without democracy in Ethiopia. It is based on such conviction that we have embarked on the various democratic reforms including the election of May 15, 2005 and it is based on such conviction that we shall continue to protect and extend our democratic victories.”
Allow me to bring to your attention the fallacies of this assertion. As you very well know, democratic process cannot be embarked upon by the few for the benefit of the masses. It should naturally come from the people with their full and unrestricted participation. The quest for democracy has been closely entwined with contemporary Ethiopian history. It brought about the demise of the monarchy in the 1974 Ethiopian Revolution shattering its feudo-capitalist system, which was an anachronism in modern Ethiopia. Unfortunately, the revolution was hijacked by a military junta and fatally aborted by the protracted internecine conflict, in which you were a key participant. Regrettably, over half a million children of peasant farmers perished in what could have been a peasant revolution as fodders for causeless wars. Neither the quest for democracy nor development has been answered by our trigger-happy leaders. Due to the numerous rounds of bouts among leaders and rebels, friends and foes, the poor people of Ethiopia, who still sustain their lives with Western wheat and sorghum, have been losers in terms of the incalculable human, material and financial loses.
Though you have done numerous political somersaults in your career as a rebel leader in military fatigues and later as leader in silk ties based in the Grand Palace, one may do you a favour by reminding you that you were once fighting to liberate Tigray from the Dergue and set up an atheistic hermit state, based on your cocktail of ethnic parochialism and Enver Hoxha’s communistic hotchpotch.
Even if it is a great merit for a politician to change colours and scripts with the dictate of the day, you are not acting quite well as a preacher in the great play called ‘democracy’. On the one hand, you make mesmerising speeches about democracy, liberty, freedom and equality. On the other hand, when the excitement and applause of the poor crowd reaches a crescendo, you send out your commando with a warrant to shoot, kill, maim, humiliate and detain your subjects en masse calling them anti-peace and anti-democracy. Still, you continue making great speeches without changing your scripts. The masses seem to be getting fed up with your monotonous and self-refuting speeches and acts. Admittedly, you were quite good at pitting ethnic groups against one another, but even that has lost spectators and participants.
Your Excellency, it is good to learn from your letter once more that you were convinced that “there could be neither stability nor prosperity without democracy in Ethiopia.” That is exactly the reality you seem to be facing even though this graet revelation should have been wisely backed by actions. Of course you have been making all sorts of empty promises and claims since you mounted yourself so visibly on the political stage nearly three decades ago. As we all know, actions speak louder than words.
I am not sure how your promise to the Honourables to “protect and extend our democratic victories” can be put into practice. Though there is no need of dispute on the meaning of democratic victories, I am sure you realise that democracy is not a golden pot that can be competently guarded and protected by your trigger-happy troops. It is an open secret that you are tirelessly working day and night for our own good, protecting and nurturing democratic victories. Needless to teach politics to an African leader of your stature, allow me to borrow the words of C.S Lewis to my own satisfaction: “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”
As a leader with boundless ‘wisdom’, I am sure you know that democracy is the rule of the majority with the full accommodation of the minority. It is not a form of government imposed on the majority by an armed minority group without popular participation. In spite of the fact that I do not know what you exactly mean by democracy, your great wisdom seems to have failed to convince your conscience that the Ethiopian people has never given you the mandate of serving them as a gardener to plant, nurture or protect the seedlings of democracy.
As we all remember, when the Dergue regime crumbled into pieces, more due to its lose of public support than your valour, you emerged from the jungle armed to the teeth leading the TPLF followed by numerous mini-ethnic puppet parties, created in the image of their creator. Even if that was the case, you have had so many missed opportunities to facilitate a peaceful transition to a democratic order. In the last fourteen years, the people grew weary of listening to your endless promises because nobody expected you to misrule us for fourteen years. Unless the heavy burden of your military rule masquerading as an elected constitutional government is removed from the shoulders of the Ethiopian people, the quest for democracy will inevitably ushers in a popular revolution, which seems in the making more than ever before. Your Excellency, you are doing a great disservice to yourself and your regime by dismissing every popular demand for real democracy as a storm in a teacup.
Prime Minister, you claimed that the May 5th election had been “free, fair and transparent by any standards, and not just by Ethiopian or African standards.” Fair enough! The popular interest for a radical change was rather overwhelming by any standards. In Addis Ababa and other towns where there were enough foreign as well as local observers it was impossible to rig the elections. The testimony to this was the fact that your party and its best candidates lost all their sits in the metropolis by a huge margin. Here is the result of your political test in the sit of your government: 0 per cent. If such a resounding failure cannot teach you anything, nothing else can. As you know, the capital is a true reflection of a heterogeneous nation. The public has legitimate grounds to get upset and restless as it turned out that there were numerous complaints of vote rigging in many parts of the countryside committed by a sulky gang that has drastically failed its crucial exam where it matters most.
If you really have had the intention of making the election truly free and fair, why wouldn’t you have made the National Election Board of Ethiopia (NEBE) independent instead of appointing sycophants like Ato Kemal Bebri, President of the Federal Supreme Court, Chairman of the National Election Board and President of the Council for Constitutional Inquiry. He is everywhere to declare that Your Excellency is infallible, as it was the case during the latest ‘constitutional inquiry’. His duplication of power has made it difficult for the opposition to raise legal and constitutional issues. How come the ‘election board’ left no stone unturned to bar local civic groups from sending observers to the over thirty-two thousand polling stations? Did you sincerely believe that 500 foreign observers were enough?
Let me leave that as it may and raise another simple question. What do you call the elections in Tigray where the TPLF has been exercising its absolute control? What alternatives were the people given for us to accept your ‘100’ per cent landslide victory? We were told that you received 100 per cent of the votes cast in the ballot box in Adowa. Who did you compete with? Nobody! In my judgement, that is enough to declare the elections a farcical exercise, no matter how well the opposition did or did not. Any toddler knows that democratic election is unthinkable without the right to freely choose from different alternatives. In today’s Tigray, the people are not even allowed to see the universe far beyond the TPLF. It is considered ‘high treason’, in your own words, to stand against the one and only ‘liberation front.’
Your Excellency, you have mentioned to the Honourable US legislators that the opposition were intent on using the electoral process to remove the constitutional order through ‘extra-constitutional’ means. I am neither a member of the opposition nor your party. Nevertheless, I feel that the TPLF has been resorting to terrorist tactics to scare anyone who dares to oppose your iron fist rule. Unless you are overestimating the opposition, they cannot remove your ‘constitutional’ regime. It is undeniable that the opposition have emerged stronger with coherent policies. Within a few months of their formations they became unifying agents for the aspiration of change. It is quite obvious to Your Excellency that opposition parties are not armed unlike the TPLF and its cohorts. They do not have any monopolistic command on the security, the army, the police, and the media nor do they own illegal multi-million, if not multi-billion, dollar business empires.
Opposition parties have rather exposed their members and supporters for a greater danger. Even MP-elects have been facing dire dangers due to your brutally suppressive measures. Some are living in fear exiled from their homes while others have been detained or dogged by your armed security agents everywhere they go. It still rings fresh in our mind that a young MP-elect, Tesfaye Adane Jara, 26, of the Oromo National Congress, was executed a few weeks ago by your men in Arsi Negele. Tesfaye had every reason to celebrate his real democratic victory with his companions for being elected as our future lawmaker. It was supposed to be a prestigious job. He could have been one of the youngest Ethiopian MPs. He had great prospects of serving his people, who had put a great deal of trust and faith on him, representing their interests in a real parliament. All his hopes and that of the electorate were shattered so cruelly by a state-sponsored violence. Here is how Walta Information reported the news on the finding of an inquiry team into the murder: “An inquiry team drawn from the state, zone and Woreda police uncovered leaflets prepared to incite unrest,” as if leaflets were the most lethal WMDs. This and other numerous cases, which I cannot list down due to time and space constraints, appear great travesties of justice.
To be honest, the reason why the public unequivocally rejected your party was not because of the rhetoric of the opposition but rather due to your unpopularity. Had you been committed to preserving democratic victories, the young lawmaker would not have been executed in broad daylight. Had you been resolute in safeguarding democratic values, civilian protesters would not have been mowed down by your loyalist commandos. If you had been sincere with cultivating the rule of law, those responsible for crimes against humanity would have not continued to terrorise the people with impunity while thousands of poor families have been disrupted by the killings, injuries, threats and mass arrests.
During his last days in power, your predecessor Colonel Mengistu was frantic in using the same argument. He too had convinced himself that he was the legitimate leader of a constitutional government. The tyrant was right in a way due to the fact that there was a document called a constitution mainly written by his special adviser, Dr Fasil Nahum. As history repeats itself, you removed Mengistu’s ‘constitutional order’ through unconstitutional means. To his dismay, you shredded his holy constitution into pieces and bought the service of the Colonel’s special adviser, Dr Nahum, to rewrite another constitution that can well serve your ends. In other words, you have already set precedence of changing a constitution. As long as a constitution is written with a view to giving legitimacy for the illegitimate and denying the people from being masters of their own destiny, it does not survive long. The people are much more important than your private dossier called a constitution, which you have flouted on numerous occasions
Despite all that, I have no problem with your constitution. Article 8 stipulates that, “All sovereign power resides in the nations, nationalities and peoples of Ethiopia.” It has also incorporated the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and International Covenants on Human Rights. That is the reason why even by the standards of your own constitution ‘the federal democratic government’ is a misnomer. The simple reason is that you and your henchmen are defying all the basic constitutional provisions on democratic rights, freedom of expressions individual liberties and freedom of association. If citizens can be executed, jailed, harassed, beaten, tortured, dehumanized without due process of law for the sake of sustaining your lifetime premiership, I am afraid your constitution is not worth the paper it is printed on. Your Excellency, why do you expect others to abide by your constitution while you are wilfully violating and contravening it whenever the people protest against your misguided policies and misdeeds? Article 9 of the holy document declares: “The Constitution is the supreme law of the land. Any law, customary practice or a decision of an organ of state or a public official that contravenes this Constitution shall be of no effect. All citizens, organs of state, political organizations, other associations as well as their officials have the duty to ensure observance of the Constitution and obey it.”
Prime Minister, your style of leadership is similar to that of Louise XIV, who famously declared, “I am the state!” He made himself the sovereign as well as the supreme power. The House of Peoples’ Representatives did not even dare to call you to explain some of your disturbing actions after you have declared a state of emergency without following constitutional procedures.
Prime Minister, you wrote to the American legislators saying: “Your Honourables would be mistaken if you believed that our compatriots died on June 8 as a result of state sponsored violence in a confrontation between the police and "enthusiastic demonstrators". The tragic deaths were the result of the opposition's attempt to subvert the constitutional order and the government's legitimate attempts to prevent it.”
Your diplomatic skills are admirable. A diplomat knows how to choose the right words for the right occasion. You referred to those who were killed on that fateful Wednesday as ‘our compatriots’. You were smart enough to appreciate that the Honourables would have been gravely shaken had you referred your victims as “bank robbers and dangerous hooligans.” If you have had such a sharp mind, why would you have chosen to offend and hurt your own subjects by referring to those killed in cold blood as robbers and hooligans? Prime Minister, allow me to pose a simple again question to your conscience. “Who are the most dangerous robbers and hooligans in present day Ethiopia?” I am pretty certain that your ingeniousity will not fail to get an answer to such a simple question.
Another interesting issue you raised, in the course of responding to the concerns of the legislators, was regarding the implications of the state of emergency which you dismissed as coming from “the fertile imagination of some of the financiers of the opposition in the U.S., many of whom are facing charges in Ethiopia for crimes against humanity that they committed as officials of the Mengistu regime.” Unless it is a case of the pot calling the kettle black, Dergue officials have been charged for shooting, torturing and detaining civilians. If that is what you mean by crime against humanity, whose turn should it be to face such charges in present day Ethiopia? The Derg was even facing an armed resistance while you have been challenged by unarmed protesters on campuses and in the streets. Your predecessors used to call those they killed mercenaries of imperialism, your federal democratic government labels its victims as ‘bank robbers, dangerous hooligans, anti-peace and anti-democracy.’ Who is better, Dergue or Your Excellency?
Prime Minister, you are also wasting the time and resources of a poor nation. In addition to building a huge security apparatus, you are spending tens of millions of dollars for destructive propaganda aimed at deceiving and misinforming the poor taxpayer. Instead of feeding the poor on useless lies, it seems sensible to give them their daily bread. Once a regime is hated its fervent propaganda is perceived by the masses as an offensive insult. As Eric Hoffer, author of ‘The True Believer’ has put it, “The truth seems to be propaganda cannot on its own force its way into unwilling minds; neither can it inculcate something wholly new; nor can it keep people persuaded once they have ceased to believe.”
Speaking of treason, Your Excellency referred to the peaceful resistance of the Ethiopian people as “high treason.” I am sure your legal advisers did not properly explain to you what “high treason” means. Here is the legal definition of high treason: the crime of betraying one's country. Treason against the country shall consist levying war against it, or in adhering to enemies, giving them aid and comfort. In British law, high treason is an archaic reference to the crime of disloyalty to the monarch. I am sure you are trying to outsmart your opponents once again by making another pre-emptive attack before time is out as high treason was an improper accusation.
One of your former lieutenants and close confidants has a much better convincing accusation of treason. Here is how it was reported in The Reporter [No. 289]: “Prime Minister Meles Zenawi has been accused by Seye Abraha of committing "high treason" and "grand corruption". The accusation was contained in a 29-page statement read out on March 12, 2002 by the defendant in a corruption charge brought against him by the Federal Anti-Corruption and Ethics Commission…. He also charged the Prime Minister of "living in the palace funded by the taxpayer...and taking an annual emolument of 2,000,000 birr," adding that his government had caused the Commercial Bank of Ethiopia "to enter into an agreement in which it was obliged to pay Eritrean merchants more than a billion birr, which still remains unaccounted for". You people know each other very well. So there is nothing one can say on this. Your Excellency, the allegations of ‘high treason’ against you are so endless that I have neither the courage nor the time to list them down in a short letter.
Anyone who has observed you for the last thirty-one years can easily conclude that you have one great enemy, which will make your downfall even much nearer than ever. It is arrogance that has made everything you do and everything you say quite absurd. It was the Scottish Philosopher Sir David Hume who said: “When men are most sure and arrogant they are commonly most mistaken, giving views to passion without that proper deliberation which alone can secure them from the grossest absurdities.”
That is why even Sir Bob Geldof, who has done Ethiopia a great deal of favour than all our leaders in the last three decades added together, was in great despair when he saw what Your Excellency have been doing against your hungry subjects, whose daily aspiration is to have food on their plates. " It is pathetic. I despair, I really despair. No doubt, I'll get a briefing from the Ethiopian embassy: 'it wasn't like this, it was like that'. Geldof’s message to you, even if you are over fifty, was plain and simple: “Grow up!” If a foreign observer felt such a shock and despair, imagine what your victims would feel.
Allow me Your Excellency, to conclude by quoting Erich Hoffer, because you expressed your apprehension to the US lawmakers that the opposition were bent on instigating a revolution. He said: “Mass movements are mostly born of the resolve of the masses to overthrow a corrupt and oppressive system which doesn’t reflect their aspirations and hopes.” There is no need to blame the symptoms, but rather the root causes bred by your arrogance and corruption of power.
P.S. Please don’t ignore C.S Lewis words, no matter how silly they appear to you. “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”