Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What do you say about these figures of votes?

These are from among the constituencies that the Election Board released as official results. Look at the figures. Do you think any positive out come from ongoing investigation infavor of the opposition parties? The ruling party and NEB are working hand in glove.

Zone GURAGE
Constituency Gumer 1

No. of Registered Voters
Polling Stations Male Female Total
33 12735 14872 27607

EPRDF (SEPDM) WIN
Name Political Affiliation Votes W/ro Tewabech Asfaw Saro EPRDF(SEPDM) 3429 Ato Birhanu Eman CUD 0

* Where is the rest of the vote?

Zone GURAGE
Constituency Gumer 2

No. of
Polling Stations Registered Voters
Male Female Total
35 13122 15832 28954

CUD WIN
Name Political Affiliation Votes
Ato Kibret Hailu Buli CUD 17445
Ato Argaw Berga Balcha EPRDF (SEPDM) 1816

* Compare it to Gumer 1, what do see?

No. of
Male Female Total
45 19905 19488 39393

EPRDF (ANDM) WIN
Ato Alemu Yimer Getahun EPRDF (ANDM) 13745 Ato Astatike Abewa Zewede CUD 10203 Ato Getachew Adimasu Alemu Independent 780 W/ro Mulu Bekele Gurara Independent 716

* Where about the rest of the vote?

No. of
Male Female Total
44 18747 19859 38606

CUD WIN
Ato Dereje Atinafu Dagachew CUD 9620 Ato Webishet Lengerih Mebirate EPRDF(ANDM) 7626 W/ro Melesech Fente Neguse UEDF 449 Ato Yosef Yakob Lema Independent 362
Ato Getachew Hebisetu Deriseh Independent 285

* EPRDF and NEBE were tried their best, but it failed.

Please, say some thing on the figures relating to the vote-rigging.

Email: belayt01@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa

Re: What do you say about these figures of votes?

Belay

I think it is Oppostions party task to expalin the probe investgation process Genunity and result told yestarday perfectence. I have a question this days, why not these people every progress Report by any means of communications because Ethiopian People are very worried of the political climate. the other thing is why do not they push the decission to the people, what next if things go wrong to the end. suppose for example when Hailu had interview with BBC he said that 'we will call for demonst..." if I would have be him I would have answered for the quest. that we will explain to the people that CUD is deafted and ask the people is that realy the fact You(people) vote if not take you measure and we will be biside you...

Email: agegnehub@yahoo.com

City: A.A

Belay-
This is the part where Meles talked about "The Electrol Board of Ethiopia":

text of BBC interview with Meles

….HT - Well, let's talk about that. Impartial investigation as you call it, it's basically being conducted by the National Electoral Board of Ethiopia. Isn't it?

Meles - Yes.

HT - Now, why did the National Electoral Board threw out the complaints of vote-rigging made in around 160 constituencies without even examining them?

Meles - You see, that's where you are making the mistake.

HT - Am I wrong?

Meles - Yes, you are wrong. You are wrong because international observers, all the parties got together, and decided on criteria for screening the allegations.

HT - But the opposition doesn't agree all the 160 constituencies...

Meles - No, they agree the criteria for selecting the frivolous from the non-frivolous, and on the basis of the criteria agreed by all sides, they threw out some allegations...

HT - Patiently the opposition disagrees with the way the criteria were applied.

Meles - If they disagreed with the way the criteria were applied, they have a process of redress, and that is a hearing, they have a right to a hearing, and this hearing will be conducted again in the presence of international observers.

HT - Let me ask you a simple question. Who presented the names of members of the election board to the House of Representatives' approval?

Meles - The National Election Board, the current board, was appointed over a decade ago, during the transitional period, and at that period, at that time, the president submitted the names to the parliament. Now if we were to appoint new election board members, it would be the prime minister, which would put the names to the parliament.

HT - Where were you at that particular time?

Meles - I was the president of the Transitional Government.

HT - You were the president?

Meles - Yes.

HT - So you still put forward the names?

Meles - Yes I did.

HT - Well, I think perhaps that's the point I am trying to get to. You put forward all the names of the people who are on the Electoral Board?

Meles - Uhm!

HT - And you now expect the opposition to believe this Board would be entirely impartial?

Meles - Well, I suppose the opposition parties in France expect their Minister of Interior to be impartial in elections and I suppose it is very similar in your country?

HT - But I suppose in most countries it would be unusual for one man to be in power for so long, and would control all the appointments for so long?

Meles - This is my second term, and I...

HT - You just told me you were the president the Interim Transitional authority before?

Meles - Yeah, the Transitional Period.

HT - So in essence, you have been in power for 14 years.

Meles - Is that unheard of in Europe?

HT - You conrolled all of these appointments, you are now demanding that your country regards this Electoral Board is absolutely impartial. And I'm asking you whether you are surprised that the opposition does not have confidence in this Board?

Meles - Well you see the opposition does not have confidence in the constitution and the constitutional process as a whole, and they said so. And they said they are going to change the constitution by unconstitutional means. They did not means words, they said so in public. In most countries such people would be behind bars.

HT - Given the divisiveness, given the problems Ethiopia now has, why does you simply call a new national election?

Meles - That is for the National Election Board to decide. I do not have the right to call new elections at my whim.

HT - You think it would be a good idea at this point given what has happened?

Meles - What?

HT - New election?

Meles - Probably it's a good idea, but that is beyond...I don't the power.

……

It is up to the oppostion parties to give us briefings regarding election results.Eventhough they have sites they are not good at using the medium effectively.Seems there is weakness in organization.