Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crisis over Ethiopia poll probe

Crisis over Ethiopia poll probe

Thousands were arrested during and after the protests
Trust between Ethiopia's political parties has broken down over attempts to resolve May's disputed election, according to a senior diplomat.
The main opposition party has withdrawn from panels investigating complaints, the European Union representative in Ethiopia, Tim Clarke, told the BBC. The CUD was angry when some officials were blocked from taking part, he said.

An Ethiopian minister blamed the CUD for the problem saying they had no interest in the democratic process.

"This should be seen as a crisis deliberately started by the CUD," Information Minister Bereket Simon said.

On Friday, the National Election Board is due to announce the official results in some of the disputed constituencies that were not being contested by the opposition.

At least 36 people were killed and thousands arrested in protests over the poll.

Initial results say Prime Minister Meles Zenawi's ruling party has retained its majority but these have been rejected by the opposition.

Opposition parties say many of their members are still in prison.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4660047.stm

Email: ethio1@yahoo.com

City: Addis ababa

Re: Crisis over Ethiopia poll probe

How could anybody expect any less from a man who doesn't have any regards for human life? meles is going to do everything possible under the sun to stay in power by any means necessary.

If any of you believe Meles has taken a month to count the votes; he got you fooled. He will not rest unless he dismantles the opposition party. Meles and his croines have stolen enough money to bribe lots of people. As they say: Money talks.

Re: Crisis over Ethiopia poll probe

Lemlem,

You very asutute indeed!

I am afraid the process of dismantling the oposition had already began and as we had recently witnessed, the strife within the coalition is apparent. Not only that, but the vice chairman of EUDF has been mute on every election fraud, issues, and overall electoral process.

One would wonder why Beyene Petros chose to subdue himself and not take the initiative to speak out against the fraud perpetrated upon his constituents. Would it surprise you to know that he is more interested in his own career and coexistence with Melese, to avoid Melese’s wrath latter on.

It would not be a wild conjecture to state that Beyene is preparing for the inevitable, i.e. Melese’s undemocratic victory by “force major”. I would also add based on my consistent observation, that Beyene's posture, demeanors, and comments are indicative of his easiness to sleep with the enemy.

I truely belive that Beyene is waiting to benefit from those who are willing to sacrifice. They call such people "opportunist"

What say you, Lemlem....