Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Unraveling of a Liar - BBC's interview with Meles

By Ajibew A.
ethiopianreview.com
July 4, 2005

It was refreshing to finally see Meles facing a real interviewer in the person of Stephen Sacker from the highly acclaimed show of Hardtalk. Meles’ facial expression said it all. He was rattled and looked forward to the end even before the interview was in full swing. It should have been the longest 23 minutes of his life. Even at the start of the interview, one could see how much Meles was uncomfortable. His trouser was way above his socks showing his skin. He was so distressed that he even forgot to sip water to wet his lip. Sometimes he was avoiding the peering eyes of the Stephen. But when Meles looked at the interviewer, it is clear that the PM looked at him with anger. He survived the interview by the skin of his teeth, I was afraid he would burst at some point. Proving me wrong, he opted for crude lies and sometime looked hopeless. It quickly came to me why Bob Geldof lambasted him to “grow-up”. Gone are the long explanations of dialectical analysis that he prepares to questions authored by himself. Here are my quick takes from the interview.

For me the defining moment during the interview was when he denied the order he gave to the military. He asserted that he gave order to “stop the insurrection.” Unconvinced of the answer the journalist nagged him “as simple as that.” What was clear from Meles response was the life of unemployed youth could be dispensed arbitrarily. No qualm! No reservation! He forgot he is responsible for the economic hardship they are facing for he runs the country. It was also telling to the world on the true character of Meles that as the leader of the country (also do not forget all the forces were and still are under him during the June 8 massacre) did not tell the military under his strict command on how to handle the situation. By doing so Meles tried to avoid future legal responsibility for the lives lost. Is he is preparing for his impending departure?

On the emergency regulation and banning of demonstration: early in the interview he justified his illegal action on the assertion that the opposition was bent on using the election process to carry out civil disobedience. Later on he justified the emergency measure as a means to cool-off tempers. Followers of the current Ethiopian situation would remember that Meles told President Carter that he used the emergency measure to control his own cadres that he thought might unleash a revenge rampage. Thanks to insistence of Stephen, Meles totally lost his train of thought that he has to settle for several contradictory answers.

Constitutional change: Meles also accused the opposition of trying to change the constitution. But the journalist questioned him why he has not imprisoned them if that is the case. By putting this question to Meles, Stephen was telling him that he is the law in Ethiopia. He badly fall in to the trap the journalist gave him by answering he could have done it. Of course, the journalist occasionally told him that he was lying and also lectured him that there is nothing illegality in the Orange and Rose revolution modeled after Ukraine and Georgia.

The journalist suddenly read to him the statement from the Amnesty international that accused the government of excessive and indiscriminate use force. The sentence was followed with another sentence that described when the use of force is necessary. Without qualification Meles accepted what is read to him. What the journalist left for the viewers was that there at least two sentences and Meles’ blanket acceptance to what was read to him. But again, what do you expect from a person used to give a question that he should be asked or prefers only to give interview to weak journalist. However, in the same interview Meles tried to justify the excessive use of force and denied that his military (he called them police) used excessive force. While defending this he fall again in to another trap by divulging to the world he has yet to appoint an independent inquiry (thanks to the donor community for standing tall on this)in to the killing of Addis youth.

The king is naked: Meles continued to show sign of being totally uncomfortable. It was then the journalist asked him if the preliminary result hold, what he wants to do. Ladies and gentlemen, Meles failed to provide an answer. Did someone say a visionary leader!!! But the interviewer gave him another chance by reminding him that he just completed a political campaign thus, it follows, he sure should have a plan. But the frustration of Meles was fully complete that he could not take the second chance Stephen gave him to express what he wants to do in the next five years. What was unknown to the journalist was Meles run his campaign on further ethicizing platform and lacked fresh ideas. One wonders whether this was the same Meles that considers every foreigner as a tourist and succeeded, at least he believed, in lecturing them about Ethiopia’s democratic transition, the fight he is waging against poverty and the economic management he has brought. What was true was the world was intentionally willing to be fooled by Meles for the sake of stability and lo and behold due to ‘absence of meaningful and strong opposition’.

Meles also tried to trick the journalist by stating that the election board was elected by the President of the Transitional Government. The journalist with a follow-up question led him directly to admit that he was the President. From the interviewer it was clear that Meles should not expect the opposition to abide by a person who has been there for so long and filled all positions both in the election council and the courts.

Meles also tried to hide under the dress of his party by stating it is up to his party to decide his fate, as if his party has a democratic credential. A democratic party can not have a dictator as a leader who failed to investigate, in the words of Stephen, after “36 people are just been gunned down in the streets of Addis Abeba”. In any case, from distressed interviewee, Mr. Sucker was able to pull out that he favors calling a fresh election. But again he took cover under “my party” and “election board”. If counting and the investigation are not going the way Meles planned, be prepared for an announcement of a fresh election.

For the first time, Meles stated that the economy was growing at 4 to 5 percent per year unlike his fabricated report of 8 to 10 percent annual economic growth for the past decade. He wanted to go on to draw on statistics of achievement and the stability he created. However, Stephen cut him short and told him that if you have created such a stability why the talk of Rwandan genocide as a possibility in Ethiopia. Suddenly Meles was back to the bush that he knew best.

Readers who follow closely Ethiopian politics will remember that Meles walked out of an interview as a Ugandan journalist started to challenge him. All along so many people contended that Meles could not stand a series interview. He avoided the debate during the campaign of Election 2005 due to his propensity to resort to warning whenever faced with critical scrutiny. That is exactly what he has been doing recently – warning and talking of grave danger and consequences. In a country like ours, the minimum a leader could do is give hope to people. There is nothing in the fiber of Meles to think positively. It is incumbent on Ethiopian opposition to translate and provide to the world the interviews he is giving in Amharic to further expose Meles through his own words.

To be fair to Meles, he came alive and became talkative whenever he was accusing the opposition on allegation his crooked mind fabricated. Forget he lacks a plan for the country and how to lead; he is good in insulting and delivering warnings. Watching Meles I can not help but be reminded of Mengistu’s final days as he started to rattle and waffle in his statements. By the way, at least during one occasion Stephen called on Meles “to clarify his thinking.”

Long live the legal Orange revolution of Ukraine!
Long live the legal Rose revolution of Georgia!
Long live the legal Tricolor revolution of Ethiopia!

Re: The Unraveling of a Liar - BBC's interview with Meles

Thanks a lot Ajibew,
That was how exactly felt when I saw Meles Zarkawi on TV. You put it in very good terms!!
Keep it up!!

Email: rachel_br@yahoo.com

I give lots of credit to Stephen sacker of "Hard Talk" show. He grilled Meles for good 25 Minutes. He conducted the interview touching all sensitive subjects yet in professional manner. On the other hand, The Interview with Ato Hailu Shawel. I believe it is with AEUP radio host on July 1 st, is found to be simply Pathetic and very Hypocrite in nature. By now, almost everybody knows the resignation of Lidetu Ayalew from his position. However, both the host and the Leader tried hard to even touch the subject. Actually, the opposition should've came out and clarify things in a press conference. In General, it lacks transparency. When an opposition leader such as ato hailu gives an interview, I expect both the leader and the host to conduct the Interview in a professional manner. If not more, this subject is as equally important as others and should be addressed on time. I don't want to hear this from other sources it has to come from the party it self. Rumors destroy the very foundation of the party.

Hi Ewnetu Bezabih,

I think the opposition parties and Lidetu have clarified the matter and there was no big deal there. The EPRDF wants to make a bif fuss out of the disagreement that was solved democratically in a mature manner.

They think that any disagreement is the same as that happens in TPLF/EPRDF which results in the killing of 40 something people in just ONE DAY and the sad stories of many Ethiopians in the past 14 years. I am proud with the mature manner of the opposition in addressing this matter without the need to produce deaths, abductions, Siyes, Tamirats, Bitews. Gebrus. Hayeloms, and the many sad stories of the Meles tyrany.

City: Addis Ababa

Hi! Ewnet,

Have you heard the Interview with Ato Hailu??? If you did, whatis your say the way it was conducted.

Green Revolution

The final solution to Meles' lying is, yes, the legal revolution. What should be the color of our peaceful revolution? Some people have suggested 'Green-Yellow-Red Revolution'. A writer just use Tricolor Revolution. Tricolor does not specify the colors. Green-Yellow-Red Revolution concept is excellent but it is a bit impractical. The word is too long. Here is my suggestion. We are not going to stop before this democratic revolution removes the Woyane Regime. And, we will be using peace as our method of doing the job. The green leaf is the sign of peace. So, while the glorious Ethiopian flag is what we use to cover heaven and earth at our rallies and protests, let us call this Ethiopian democratic revolution - 'GREEN REVOLUTION.' Got an idea? YICHALAL!

Zenawi and his cadres play their ethnic/tribal card when their position is threatened and spread lies, rumors and even written leaflets to scare Tigrians and to alienate them from other Ethiopians, they say that if Zenawi is gone, Tigrians have no hope.In the mean time they use Tigrians to kill, torture, and intimidate the Ethiopian public both in Tigrai and in the rest of Ethiopia. They are dragging the Tigrai people in to the mud along with them only to be buried under the weight of their own crime and depravity.

There can be no peace while the Ethiopian people are being herded daily in to prison camps from their streets and homes.

There can be no peace before the Ethiopian youth massacred in cold blood recieve justice

There can be no peace before the families of the victims of the massacre receive appologies and compensation

There can be no peace when thousands of Ethiopian political prisoners, students, peasant farmers , journalists are detained through out Ethiopia and face torture and mistreatment in the hands of the fascist woyane regime.

I would suggest that the US flag should appear along side the Ethiopian flag at demos held in the US. To do so will be seen as a sign of hope and faith in the American system and a sign of solidarity between the American and Ethiopian peoples.

We should seek support from the ordinary people of the US.

Askale Dama,

I believe the Palestinian Hamas group use green flag.

I haven’t seen Hailu’s interview yet due to computer problem. But Meles’ interview scared the heck out of me. His hate towards CUD is an imaginable. He is determined to stay in power at any cost.

I am very concerned for CUD leaders and its members.

Daer Ajibew,
Thanks for your critical analysis of the BBC's interview with Meles. I am glad that this illusive and professional liar is unmasked in front of the world. ("anjete kibe teta")

would you please also critique the BBC's interview with Ato Hailu Shawel?

As to me I am not satisfied with his performance. To some extent it could be attributed to language limitation but this is a constant for both Meles and Hailu. Furthermore our upbringing and culture does not encourage speaking out.

However, Ato Hailu Shawel has the truth in his side which should have given him the upper side to prevail in this golden opportunity. Some of the things like defending his own record, implementation of land policy, evidence for vote rigging, the importance of tying grant to good governance should be relatively easier and a must to know by heart.

In an interview one has to be able to consciously control his body movement especially of his hands. If you move your hands often then you will loose words and composure, which I noticed on Ato Hailu. I am not only concerned with his presentation style but also with the content of his responses.

For instance:

1) What will you do if the NEB declares the ruling party as a winner and your opposition party does not agree with the decision? Will you call your people to protest on the streets knowing what the government is capable of doing? More or less the answer from Ato Hailu was “yes I will”, and it is the responsibility of the government to behave it self. (off course Ato Hailu did not remember to mention less confrontational approach like calling a nation wide strike) Then interviewer was very quick to say that you will be inviting even more bloodshed. Off course the interviewer has made up his mind that Meles is out there to kill as much as it takes to stay in power.

This same question was raised to DR Berhanu Nega during his recent town hall meeting in Europe. His answer was “I don’t know”, no body knows what to do next if the problem is not solved fairly, if any body tells you otherwise he is lying….

Now it very clear to me and should be clear to every body as well. The most likely scenario is the quagmire at hand will not be resolved justly. The leaders of the opposion have not yet made their mind as to how to confront the most likely scenario.

Should not the leaders discuss this issue very clearly and find a sense of direction? We need to makeup our mind whether the cost of submission to brutal dictatorship is cheaper than fighting it with the blood of innocent lives, or see if we can find a middle ground with which we can live with?

TOP URGENT let us find a sense of direction before we are caught “pants down”

2) How should donors address legitimate use of funds? Ato Hailu opts for project tied funds. My question though is, will Ato Hailu stand by this position if the opposition should win in this election? Project tied funds have been tried and failed, simply because they deny flexibility and prioritization at local level. Rather the acid test should be the political willingness and effectiveness of the government to install and nourish good governance, transparency, and democratic institutions. By all account EPRDF fails to satisfy these measurements and should not be entrusted with this huge responsibility of judicious use of grant funds. Therefore most importantly the donors should push for democratic reform rather than simply appending funds to projects.

3) Ato Hailu did not effectively address the issue of privatization of land as well. The interviewer has posed to him a very serious question. While 85% of the population is dependent on subsistence farming and food hand out from the international community, how will you address the issue of land? His answer: just privatize it through a process of allocation by mandated elders -committee or community institution. It sounds very intuitive and gravely simplified. First should come acknowledging the short term difficulty, the imperfection and the unintended consequences of the process. Then address the long-term benefits and also state the interim measures that the reform should introduce to minimize dislocation and migration to urban areas. The role of the international donor community in helping this reform should also be stressed. The experience of other nations like China (liquidation of collective farming and gradual privatization) can also be mentioned.

Leadership is by and large planning and communication and it includes international communication. The opposition leaders should be able to come up with a sense of direction even under this precarious situation.The indecision could backfire in an enormous way. Right now this ambiguity of tactic can have a negative effect in selling the views of the opposition to the diplomatic community and even more importantly it can dramaticcaly lower follower retention and commitement.

Finally, I would like to celebrate the brave and selfless leaders of the opposition and our people at large. The importance of un wavering leadership is the core element of victory. “When the going get tough, the tough gets going” let us not loose the momentum.

yohannes Sh

Email: shenkute@yahoo.com

City: Nashville, TN

Did he actually think he can be a leader of Ethiopia? How disgraceful he was when he said the Ethiopian people show a double face! I believe he must have spoken about his own supporters when he said that . Off course, showing double face is true about Shoans. but, not for the rest of Ethiopians. SHOANS always have shown a double face to the rest of Ethiopians. On one side, they say we are all Ethiopians and the other side, they make sure other nation nationalities of Ethiopia do feel like as second citzen in their own country. The other shameful of him was to deny his involvement in dergue. He said he was just a management consultant. Imagine what kind of mangement he was consulting during the Derg regeme. was it a management of failure? or Is he trying to tell us we were good economically during Derg time? The most thing that disclosed of him as a messanger of Satan is that of the question about debt cancellation of the G-8. Obviously, he is not a **** good at all even for the CUD itself leave alone for Ethiopia. I personally think he is unfit even to lead EDER or MAHBER leave alone our beloved country.

Dereje,

hailu Shawl must be jealous of "Meles the sly" to tell the secret of our existance to the whole world.He almost spelled it out how treacherous people we are. Never mind weather Ankober has a double face or gondere single. becouse,it is not new to us and the Britons. The world already knew the monkey trick of Meles when he moved from Albania to America.Is Meles the politican or Hailu the Moralist who is good for Ethiopia and Blair? take your take.

Give the man a chance. When the TPLF took power they were like wild animals from the desert. It has taken 14 years of polishing to smarten them up in terms of communication.

As we Ethiopians know, communication in general in our country isn’t good. These new opposition parties should be celebrated for being brave enough to stand up against the TPLF, and fight them without a gun.

I haven’t seen the interview of Shawel but, I know it takes a courage’s man, to strengthening and rallying the poor people of our country. So when you think about the interview given by Mr Shawel, don’t compare him with Western leaders that we are used to watching and also who spent a fortune in training in PR, think of him as a man who has changed the political landscape of our country.

Remember Rome isn’t built in a day. So just give him chance.

Pray for the dead and their family.

Email: HA9beth_tes@hotmail.com

City: London, UK

Dear Ethiopian:
Why don't we discuss what the two gentlemen will deliver for Ethiopian?
Moreover, we, the Ethiopian in Diaspora, should work hard that the rule of law, democracy and multi party will blossom and Ethiopian will embark and usher to be a country where a person will be select by merit not by ethnic.
This is the million dollar question and we should move and hold the two men to be accountable what they are promising and the two party they represent.
Otherwise, we will only wasting time and money and do not go nowhere except in circle and do not help our people that need us.
I add aslo Fact, Grebe and I will be one team and the rest of the members who will shooting left and right on the other side of the fence and debate the issues.
Grebe will be our captain and Getahun will be yours or you elect your own captain.
Let us start on the two parties programme and discuss and both teams will forward the opinions and refute each other without personalizing the issues.
We can learn alot.
Lastly, we could bring data( evidences) for our argument, theories that have been written( for example, we can use the book of Bruce Lincoln, Karl Marx, Jean Jacques Rousseau, Sarte, Kant,( here you forgive me since I am only exposed to the western school of thought) his analysis of political discourse) and philosphy of discourse namely what the principle or ideology that is guiding EPRDF, CUD, ect.

Email: shirdons@yahoo.com

City: Washington DC

Dear Ewnetu Bezabih

I am qouting your comments
"..I believe it is with AEUP radio host on July 1 st, ..is found to be simply Pathetic and very Hypocrite in nature.."

I can't agree any more than that. You really hit the nail on the head. I must tell you I am very disappointed with the lack of transparency, weak or non existing journalistic ethic of the AEUP and other opposition affilated radios.

I am surprised what? if any, they have learned from the miserable failure of the "yes sir" EPRDF's public media.

If the opposition media is meant to discharge its critical role as PR campaigner and successful propaganda tool; as it should be, it has to raise its standard from its existing low point.

The very fact that we dearly value the service and sacrifice of the opposition leades should encourage us to ask them tough questions, critique them and give them suggetions that help them shore their views.

We have to be nothing less than honest with the oppostion leaders "alebabesew biarsu barem yemelesu" ale yagere sew

Email: shenkute@yahoo.com

City: Nashville, TN

Dear Yohannes,

The reason Ato Shawel failed His Exam badly with the " Hard Talk" host was, because He was used to "The Alebabsew Biyarsu" type exams In the past. I'm not surprised at all with the out-come.

Mamo Quilo,

You can call Meles Shrewd, liar and so on. The way I saw it, However, I give him A+. Hailu had the truth but Meles didn't. It was like Hailu went to the ring with a glove but Meles without. None the less, Meles came out a winner. Tell Ato hailu the truth so that He'll be well prepared for the next fight. If you told him that he had won this fight, he'll lose the fight by a knock-out the next time around. Let's be honest for the good of the people.

Ewnet,Melesse is a poletician so is Hailu,the diffrent between two contesters are,one with AK47S the other is with stones.

Email: DillingerJ1@aol.com

City: DC