Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
peaceful demonstration abroad - its mistakes

We all know that the demonstrations by the ethiopian community abroad has been great. It has boosted the moral of the ethiopian movement inside ethiopia. It has supported the movement financially. Above all it has exposed the anti-ethiopian and dictatorial nature of the Meles regime.

However, we should not overlook or underestimate some mistake that have been observed in these demonstrations. Some writeres in some websites and here in the message board as well have pointed some of these mistakes and suggested corrections such as the rhetoric against the tigrayan people in lumpsum should be avoided and condemned seriously and the call for armed struggle is not the aim of the movement in ethiopia.

Now i will add my criticism which i feel is very important.

the flags leading the demonstrations in some cities of europe and america have the lion, the crown and the cross in it.I demand organisers of these demonstration to be very careful. Ethiopian flag is not that which represents political or ideological views like this one (that is for moaanbessa supporters). To be very frank no muslim ethiopian will march behind this flag. no republican will march behind this flag. The ethiopian flag that represents all nations is only this - green, yellow and red. this and only this flag should lead demonstrations.

Thank you

Email: EthiopianXX@aol.com

City: london

Re: peaceful demonstration abroad - its mistakes

Th ank you Sar for bringing back th eissue I raised some time back in another thread under a tittle "Is the lion of Judah banner we see some people carrying affecting the image of the opposition". Even Mamo, refused to respond to that question. I hope this message gets across to every body clearly.

Let's leave that banner to the Ras Tafrians. We don't need it.

Ras Tafarians: Pls refrain from bringing this flag in our demonstrations. It doesn't represent us. It is like carrying a plackard which opposes the very objective of the demonstartion.

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

Jadu,

I though my position would be clear from all my writings. I do not remember seeing the question. My answer is simple, I am in total agreement with Sara and you.

In the mean time, it is hard to deny Moa Anbesa supporters from coming with their flag. Can we for example, deny EPRP from showing up with EPRP logos and banners. One thing we need to make sure is that none of the official sites and brosures carry the cross as an emblame.

Mamo Qilo

To clarify my point

the moaanbessa's can carry their flag and others can bring theirs too. but unless it is a moaanbessa demonstration, their flag should not LEAD repeat LEAD the demonstrations! this is my point. As far as i know the demonstrations represent or are supposed to represent all ethiopians in the diaspora. Therefore the flag leading at the front of the demonstration has to be - green yellow and red.

thanking u for ur comment.

They have the right to carry it, but the issue is whether it would be appropriate to carry a placard which signifies the opposite of what the demonstartion stands for. Mamo, there is no way that you can equate a flag and an organization's symbol. For your information, I don't like to see EPRP's flag, which I don't know what it looks like. Do you?

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

Email: wonder@yahoo.com

Jadu,

I am not equating our country's flag with any one party's flag, including EPRP's. Again I thought my position with all parties that are the results of the student movment including EPP was clear. But from a realistic and practical point of view, there is not much they can do to stop the Moa Anbesa people from carrying the flag with the cross. As you know the Moa Anbesa is a minority within a minority. So I do not think we shoulfd spend too much of our energy on them.
Te only way we can counter the is by brining more flags and more people.

Mamo Qilo

Hi all

I dont think contributors to this message understood my point fully.

It is the business of organisers of demonstrations, whichever party they suppport ,to make sure the flag at the front of the demonstration MUST be that which represents all ethiopia - green yellow and red without any emblems.

I again ask the organisers of demos to rectify this big mistake.

To Hell with the Moa-Anbessa flag. I'll never ever Rally behind that thing. That Symbol represents The Feudal regime back then. I don't even want to see it.