Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
People in the Somali region desire change

People in the Somali region desire change

July 1, 2005
ethiopianreview.com

Shocked by the opposition parties' landslide victory in Addis Ababa and every other constituency where international observers were present, EPRDF is fighting hard to make sure that it decisively wins the upcoming elections in the Somali Region.

The elections are scheduled for next month, August 21.

Elections in the Somali region could not be held at the same time on May 15 with the rest of Ethiopia due to security problems.

At stake are 23 parliamentary seats. Because of lack of finance, CUD is able to line up only 17 candidates. According to CUD spokesperson Dr Hailu Araya, their candidates are aggressively campaigning to win all the 17 seats. He said it's tool late to line up more candidates.

CUD's campaign in the Somali region is becoming highly successful because it is campaigning on a message of hope and harmony among ethnic groups and clans. CUD's message includes peace, economic development and democratic rights.

EPRDF is sending a different message. It is resorting to the basest instincts of people: fear and hate. The EPRDF cadres tell the voters that CUD will bring "Amhara domination" to the region, but if EPRDF is elected, it is willing to allow the region to secede.

This time it seems that most of the voters are not buying the tired old EPRDF message of ethnic division and Amhara hating.

The most recent tactic EPRDF using is trying to disqualify CUD candidates claiming that they are not natives of the region. So far, EPRDF succeeded in having the Election Board to reconsider the status of 5 of the 17 candidates.

The rules written by the EPRDF itself allows candidates to run in any constituency. One of the well-known beneficiaries of this rule is EPRDF Minister of Information Bereket Simon who runs as a candidate from Wollo, a place he never lived in.

CUD is not challenging the EPRDF candidates' qualifications--because of lack of resources.

Most of CUD's candidates are from the Somali ethnic groups. It was able to successfully recruit strong candidates locally. It's difficult for EPRDF cadres to go to Jijiga from Addis Ababa and tell a voter that his neighbor is going to "dominate" him.

The local people want to live in peace. For the past 14 years there was never peace in the region, as EPRDF turned one clan against the other by arming and giving money to the clans it favors.

EPRDF is spending a great deal of money for its campaign in the Somali region. Some of the money is being used to try to bribe CUD candidates to change their party affiliation.

CUD is financially weak. It's candidates do not even have sufficient money to print fliers and pay for travel expenses. Had CUD been financially strong, it could win all the parliamentary seats allocated for the region. The people are angry at the EPRDF and want change.

One of the CUD representatives in the region ER talked with today expressed his frustration that the top leadership is preoccupied with other matters and is giving little attention to the election campaign in the region. He is not blaming the leadership. He says that he knows the kind of pressure they are under. One of to solve such a problem is to decentralize their operations.

CUD's strength in the Somali region is originating from the people's desire for change. Could this alone be enough to win?

- end

Re: People in the Somali region desire change

Don't be surprise these people love hate not peace. Poeple sick of woyane and hate of division. Stop your hate campaign Somali knows what's best for them not Woyanee

Email: simon@hotmail.com

City: Melbourne

Why not!! People in the somali area is the same as those who live in Addis and we know how they live for the last 14 years!! So, they are right it is time to get a change.

No more weyanea round there! All somali people should stand for their right and get a difference by the Election like all other cities in Ethiopia.

Email: amaha_hagos@hotmail.com

City: eth

Thanks for giving this region an attention but I think it deserves a lot more than this I was born and rise in Kabridhahare Korahay Region I’m unofficial member of the CUD. and knowing from my experience with EPRDF, CUD will not win on sit let me tell you why EPRDF is campaigning under other names which people are not aware of, and they had over a tone of money to the elders of that region to get support, and those who refuse to do so will be detain under the charge of being ONLF, EPRDF was well known of using the method of you are either with as you are ONLF there is no second party and this days they butting the CUD supporters under ONLF category.
One other factor is that there can't be a foreign reporter or any foreign person with out the government’s super vision which puts every thing under the government control.
. No reporters
. Observers
. And the region is not 80% under the government control
You do the math and see if there is hope for CUD

Email: ninculus3@hotmail.com

City: Kansas city

having seen the Tigry region vote highjacked by Melese and co.CUD has to pay the ultimate sacrifice not to back off in Somali region.All Ethiopians are for change for greater equality tomorrow Ethiopia.

Email: DillingerJ1@aol.com

City: DC

The well-to-do Ethiopians abroad who lead a btter life should help. This is the time they can rescue their country. In Ethiopia, there are a few rich Ethiopians, but they fear being spoted helping CUD financially. Money should not have been a problem, really. Woyanes have all Ethiopia to use. They all are rich and can bribe candidates to change sides. CUD should raise funds officially from the people, abroad and locally.

Somalis want freedom. Thier compatriots should govern them, not Woyane cadres on top of them.

Email: abathun@yahoo.com

City: BD

there was an arabic children story
which goes like this
once a cat ate a mother rat and
came to eat the baby rat and told
to the baby rat " i got a letter from your mom"
baby rat replied " you ate my mom last week "

CUD aka Naftenya the little rat (somali state) is
a grown up rat and it's not ready to end up like
it's old and unfortunate mom .

City: atlanta

The Ogaden region wants change like everybody else in ethiopia, but the sad thing is Meles will do what he does the best.which is lie and lie to his people.For example, the Ogaden region elders come to Addis Ababa six month ago to talk to Meles about the prolems in the region which he created him self.Meles refused to see or meet with elders for three month, then the elders left Addis Ababa and went bag to region.But today Meles is asking and running craze to meet the same elders he refuse to meet with. Because he is feering the region is voting for CUD candidates.
Meles is lieing again by telling the elders if you vote for me I will give the Region it is freedom after 14 years he will give it is freedom. what a lier. Ethiopia peaple doesn't need Meles and Meles needes to go Tigray"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Email: mxashi@yahoo.com

City: Denver,Co

Dear Ethio.Somalians by the way do you know that Meles has organized Somale Mokadusho Somaian during their say as refuge for the last 10-13 years in Ethiopia. this is how they did
1. By the time they were told to marry Ethiopian Somales
2. The used to be rich by merchndizing Controband from Jijiga(our somale) Addis Ababa
3. they were trained or educated by EPRDF in Addis about all Ethiopia and Somalia specialy
4. they were participating with all Contibution and suggestion in Somalia
5. Now they have been given tons of Money and Identification to distribut among the somalian

therfore do Yo think they will stand for the real Ethiopian Somale. I dubet

Take care, every war and hate what has happen unto now is by EPRDF(Meles).

Email: agegnehub@yahoo.com

City: A.A

the fact: you are a rat

All Citizens in Ethiopia are in thirsty of change and that is why woyane has faced this big challenge.

Somali people are true Ethiopian who standup for thier right with other Ethiopians. So keep your seeking for change and it will be real in the near future.
Change!!!! Change!!!!! Change!!!!!!!! Change!!!!!!!!!

Email: tadewos@lib.aau.edu.et

City: Addis Ababa

abdul I am a smart one
not willing to be trapped by
the so called andinet ethiopia

"ahxdi ma laha xabashidu lagu aminaa"

you know what i mean.

In light of the upcoming election in the Somali region, CUD needs to play it smart. In a democratic system such as the US, political agenda is seen as a strategy to take office. It is developed and maintained with the objective of maximizing votes. Governing is a completely different thing. In that sense, the same political party can have different agenda targeted for different regions. Bush won 2004 by having different strategies for Northern and Southern parts of America. In conservative Christian states, Bush presented himself as a born again Christian. In other moderate regions, Bush’s political agenda was packaged as moderate. The Opposition should give the Somali full assurance in writing that it would not revise Article 39 for the next five years.

This is a no brainer. The sooner the Opposition announces this, the harder the battle for Meles. What else does Meles have to offer other than Article 39 that is buried in the constitution for the last 10 years, with zero practical significance. Delinking the CUD’s agenda from the Article 39 for the next five years would rob Meles his grab. The Emperor would be left without cloth.

Mamo Qilo

I think CUD should announce right now (before the election) that it will appoint at least two ministers from the Somali region. Ato Hailu Shawel should also visit the area and speak with the elders, which Meles will not do. Meles even refused to see the Ogaden eleders when they came to Addis Ababa recently. Ato Hailu's visit to Ogaden will demonstrate to the people that CUD is really interested in the region. This means more than the bribe money EPRDF is now handing out.

dear mamo
when I was a kid i read about mamokilo
and his donkey . to change tactics and
tailor new face for somali state by CUD
is tantamount to profess a donkey that begot
an oxen .
we will need an extensive biogenetics for starter
propabily with no avail

selamta le hulachium:

Let's get practical some times, ppl. How about particpants of this forum raising funds if a CUD rep can guarantee us that the money will go directly to the Somali region election campaign? Let's not allow CUD to lose for luck of money please.

I agree with Malachi. No excuse for CUD talking of short of money. There are lots of Ethiopians need to contribute for the success of CUD. I think even locally there are many Ethiopians and also abroad they are doing their best. So CUD should be active and do its best to make the election complete to the people voice. Otherwise the people will lose trust one time. As Malachi said locally there is a problem to contribute at this time for there is a strong campaign on all the members and oppositions. Had there been any other means there would have been so many Ethiopians willing to help. Love to my country

Email: g_tariku@yahoo.com

City: Addis

in fact CUD had already lost when they professed
one language as if we are one homogeneious group
they neglected the fact that we can have ETHIOPIA A united , diverse , beatiful , heterogeneious and mutually respectful etc...

they will have no voice in somali state not because
of EPRDF but because of their preaching to the their minority base only . CUD needs to toil in the house of representative and smell the coffee!

Talk is cheap. Let's do something concrete for these CUD candidates. There is only 17 of them. If we count on half of the regulars of ethiopianreview.com, we can easily raise $17K, 1K per candidate. This is quite a realisitic target. EthiopianReview can help in the disbursment of the raised fund. Dear Publisher, please promote this initiative. I have no doubt within 2 weeks we can reach this goal. Although $1K is not much compared to the finincial prowess of the woyane, there is no doubt this money can make a difference. Let's stop whining and do something.

I pledge $100 for this project.

Who will join me?

Name Pledge
=========================
1) Sultan $100
2)
3)
4)

Email: welllo@hotmail.com

City: nyc

can anyone of you tell me as Somali from Ethiopia
what CUD can deliver for my people except hate of
WAYANE , which by the way "I consider them Ethiopians"
regardless of thier mistakes and CUD's desire of AMAHARA hegemoney .
please do not just keep preaching to the quire

DillingerJ1 $100

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

allow me to be huffish and
"the only thing a wise man can do if faced with two
devils for a choice, is to take the less one
CUD vs TPLF" and somali people have a huge db
to retrive for a reference regardless of your ...

the fact,you keep resisting on Oness Ethiopia,what do you offering by hiding and afraiding on CUD?

Fundraising for 17 CUD candidtaes in Somali Kilil.
Objective: $17,000. $1000 per candidate.
[EthRev Publisher, please promote this initiative.]

Name Pledge
1)Sultan $100
2)DillingerJ1 $100
3)
4)
5)

EthRev regulars, come on we can do this.

People in the somali region desire change...what a wishful thinking.Stop this fantacy.whom you fool around? The Somalies were the most oppresed ppl in the empire for the last handred years or so. thus,it is not credible that the somalies are buying the CUD's one language, one ethiopia and the federation will be abolished and then the states will be reorganized based on geography instead of ethnicity (language).No somalies with its right mind buy that. So, Please come down to the earth.One more thing: Unity with diversity is the order of the era.Bye!!

Email: mejidamed@hotmail.com

City: Newark

watch out!
IS RAT and the FACT one and the same?
I will reconcile with my beloved born again Democratic
Ethiopians from Amhara ethnic group .Let us assume
your are for real this time, for genuine democracy.The Oromos, Somalise , Tigry and rest of us will give up our culture , language and diversity of all forms .We will also forget and forgive who ever changed the name of Abayssina to Ethiopia with out our consent and all the attrocities of the past
but wait a minute
ON ONE condition; That We have referendum (one man one VOTE in democracy majority rules and minorty right is respected ) not only on which language to make the unifier , but also the name of the country we will call sweet home with true LOVE

and then we all sing kunbyaa !!!! kunbyaa !! there after........... got it OROMIA !!!! OROMIA !!!
ARE you READY for the DAWN ?????

Yes. Not only the people of Somali region, but the whole Ethiopia desire change in the country. In this case, Woyane has never done anything good to change the lives of Somali region people, but worsten it. Woyane never gave attention to that region for the past forteen years as it did not to the other regions. Therefore, there should not be any doubt in our mind that CUD will win those 17 seats that are presented in that region. It is simple. The people need change. woyane has driven the whole country to chaos, mass starvation, mass unemployment,mass corruption, ethnic division.... etc. All I want to say to my somali brothers and sisters is that they should not buy WOYANE'S Ethnic divisive propaganda to clich those sits to itself and worsen the lives of u, who woyane doesn't care if u are alive or not, more rapidly. Therefore, u should stand together and vote for CUD or UEDF and get this anti-people party TPLF off your shoulders. VOTE FOR CUD !! VOTE FOR UEDF !!

Email: alazarm@sbcglobal,net

City: Washington DC

I pledge to give $500 to go in support of CUD candidates in somali region....after all we cant have EPRDF win by bribing. Will ER give guidance on how to send the money? Talk is cheap guys and put your money where your mouth is!!!!1

Email: aseba_ere@hotmail.com

City: london

I need to reply to this guy named THE FACT. Ethiopian unity went down becuase of people like u, who are making all those non-sense and unblievable excuses to divide our people by spreading hate in to each other. I hope u will lose. Did u know that Ethiopian people are now united like never before by knowing your systems divisive politics to separate the country ? You politics has expired man. Join the people of Ethiopia now before u be punihsed by law. TIGRES, OROMOS, AMHARAS, SHOUTHERNERS, GAMBELLAS, SOMALIES, AFARS.... etc, are united and working hand in hand to desrtoy those who are dividing their country for their own personal satisfaction and benefit. I urge all Ethiopians to stand firm and defend themselved from further distruction those separatists will couse on them.

Email: alazarm@sbcglobal,net

the fact
I think you are one of Weyenne caddre...so give up, we know you its just that easy!!!

Email: me007@hotmail.com

City: addis

Gradually but surely CUD is revealing how they got vote in other regions, especially Oromia.

My question is: How legitimate is a vote bought by money? We have too seriously investigate the Oromoo collaborators of CUD!! How many dollars did they get in return for re-instating the Amhara hegemoney? It is really sickening and the so called Ethiopia is hopless!

Email: biftu1@netscape.net

WITH DUE RESPECT
we are rich WITH abbrivated political names
for instance we have WSDP , SPDP ,DWDP , SPDF etc....
and all this and others are more meaningful than CUD, EPRDF and the like .... they belong to somali people
The era of " WHAT is mine is mine and WHAT is yours is mine is over " .It lookes some people think they are ordained to think and decide for the rest.

note bene!
SOMALI PEOPLE KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR THEM.

The same narrow mindedness of small group is what forced Eritreans to secede from rest of us(Ethiopians) .
I urge Ethiopiawinet to stop stepping on others toes. Our diversity could be a blessing or a curse , and this depends how we build consensus

HELLOOOOO,

CUD said, "The most recent tactic EPRDF using is trying to disqualify CUD candidates claiming that they are not natives of the region. "

Offcoarse they should be natives of the region....a highlander man from Amhara or Tigre can represent Somali..How come?....Do you beleive somale is real Ethiopian or forged ones?

CUD's political leadership should be represented with different regions, religion, beliefs etc like Somale..........not only Shewa and Wollo Amharas. not Amhara and Orthodox Chiristian........

Hailu Shawel - Lidetu Ayalew convert from All Amhara organisation to CUD ....THIS IS A TACTIC TOO.....

This is not a solution for Ethiopia problem.

Email: alehegn2000

City: Addis

Somalians are our family.I even marrierd and have a chiled from my Ethiopian somali family. I am half Oromo and half Amhara. My chiled is Oromo,Amhara, and Somali.
I do have great respect to all Somalian sisters and brothers.
I know they love Ethiopa and vote For CUD/UEDF.
Love you all From Scandinviea
Regards
Donadoni
Dear allSomalian brother and sisters, do not trust Woyane and their collabotaters.

Fact,

The fact is for the last 82 years regardless of ethnicity we have all suffered. Have you ever visited any Amhara provinces? You will be surprised. I was lucky enough to visit nine provinces. The poverty is the same as any other parts of Ethiopia. Just because they speak Amharic as their first language have done nothing for their lives. The last two leaders, Haile Selasie and Menegestu regardless of their ethnicity only helped themselves and their families while the rest of Ethiopia equally suffered. The current leader has abused his power more than the other two. Meles and his buddies robbed the country like any other. Selfishly undermined the rest of Ethiopia when they benefit only Tigraye province.

As a matter of fact, I happen to be a multi ethnic Ethiopian. I checked the facts about CUD, and it is a multi ethnic party. Grudges only hold Ethiopia backwards. Lets go forward and bring Ethiopia to the twenty first century. Lets work together for the sake of Ethiopian people who have been suffering from starvation and diseases. Lets come together and get rid of these killers and robbers. Lets come together for the sake of that Ethiopian mother who lost two sons in front of her face and for the other mothers who lost their children.

My outmost respect and best regards for you'll .I think we can agree to disagree respectfully without name calling .That is why we have this forum to express our diverse opinion, to learn tolerance, and to understand other point of view .For instance opposing political party such as EPRDF , CUD ,UEDF ,OPDO ,OLF ,ONLF ,WSLF ,SPDF or others does not make one less patriotic .We all have a right to our freedom of choice , if that is not the case then why strive for democracy and respect for all Ethiopian's?

Well if CUD (Elias Kifle) beleives in democracy why delete peoples idea if it differes from what CUD stands for?

Email: aboma6@msn.com

City: silver spring

I Will be a stanch supporter of CUD, if they include the word self determination, and the right of the Oromo people to hold referendum in the next 3 years to form the independent nation.

Email: aboma6@msn.com

City: silver spring

Dear Members,
This is an interesting thread that will help us to see how the people who were ruling yesterday do not acknowledge the truth of today because they will view Ethiopia with myopic and blurred eye glass called Northern.
A few point is in order.
First, Somali region will be ruled and managed by Somali people. That is enshrined in the Ethiopian constitution and the leftover of settler do not allow our people to be the master of their destiny. They want to destroy article 39. For example, I and other Somali were invited to attend the conference of Washington DC; forget accepting article 39, they reject the people who were thinking to remove that article or change to certain extent that settler children will go back to Somali region and exploit the resources. Then, the split of the opposition coem to the surface.In other wods, the opposition was splitted in two. On the one hand, Beyene and Merrara set up EUDF which consists of 10 political organizations and CUD has formed with its four neftegnas parties.
Second, Somali people are not agaisnt the poor and innocent other Ethiopian including Amahra; however, we are oppositing the elitist, murder and thugs who ruled Ethiopia for century and thinking to go back again and repeat the same history.
Third, let us put aside the emotional and abstract factors and deal with the facts and compared the results of Meles regime to the combination of Haile and Mengestu.
Meles allows to set up Somali region government and Haile and Mengestu created a barren land which was a military camp.
Meles formed 23 elementary school, 6 high schools and two institutions; however, the duo Haile and Mengestu has left with one eight grade school and six elementary. These school taught Somali children the twisted and distorted Amhara history, culture and social. On the other hand, the school created when Meles is ruling are taught in Somali language upto grade six ( This will be a big surprise to the children of settlers).
Moreover, Meles allows Somali region to have its own budget, flag ( it has five star in the middle of it that is predicting that Greater Somalia will be materialized in case the settlers do not want to live epcefully with Somalis) and its constitutions; nevertheless, the duo Haile and Mengestu ruled with iron fist with remote control and with a few ethnicized thugs taht killed left and right the innocent and poor Somali including the camels and poisoned the wells. To add insult to injury, they created a false name called Ogaden to the region so as to divide and rule. The purpose of the name was while Somalis are fighting on the name of Ogaden versus Somali region, the settlers wil steal all the resouces and run to the North.
The list will go on and on.
To sum up Meles has allowed for the first time in Ethiopian history to elect two ministers and four ambassadors. Haile and Mengestu have elected none =nil=zero; therefore, we support wholeheartly Meles regime with the result that we acheive. On the question of upcoming election EPRDF will get the 23 seats in order to counter attack the settlers.

Email: shirdons@yahoo.com

Ibrahim, I know so many Somalis, and I don't know any one who hates other ethnic groups as much as you do. You sound like a typical EPRDF cadres who spews the hate propaganda he learned at the EPRDF cadre traning centers. What Meles brought to the Ogaden region is unending war and confilict. The state of anarchy in Somalia itself is in part the doing of Meles Zenawi who is purposely destablizing the country. Now you are telling us that Meles is better for Somalis. You could be one of the few beneficiaries of Meles' divde and rule police. Few Somalis in fact benefited from the Meles apartheid regime. But millions of Somalis are living under abject poverty, just like millions of Amharas, Oromos, Tigres, etc.

I trust ER to do honest work. I pledge $100.

Dear Desta,
You must be reading between the two lines or doing deliberatly to confuse the issues.
There are two things. First, the facts and bring your facts to refute mine and tell us what CUD will deliver for us forget about talking hatred of one ethnic group and others and changing the subject.
Second, on the question of hatred, when I was refugee and worked in UNHCR, I have housed many Amhara who forced to leave their country and save their skins from red terror. You never know that you might be one of those who inflicted the genocide on these people. If you contact me privately, I will give you their name. Some of the refugee who escaped from the killing machine of Negede and Derg fascist soldiers who killed left and right are currently prominent EPRP and other organizations members. To refresh your memory, among them are Kebede, Fantu, Fassika, Turuneh, Getachew and the list is very long. Call them and asked when they lived in Djibouti how they were treated.
Otherwise, be quiet and eat your fresh kitfo in the Western capital.

If you wish to support CUD's election campaign in the Somali region, please participate in Ethiopian Review's teleconference with Dr Hailu Araya tomorrow and make your pledg to him directly and ask him where to send the money. Your $10, $20, $100 ... contribution could be a deciding factor in winning seats in the Somali region. To participate in the conference send email to: eliask@juno.com

Thank you.

Name Pledge
1)Sultan $100
2)DillingerJ1 $100
3)asbea $500
4)Atalo $100
5)
6)
7)
8)

Keep making serious pledges. Those who can attend tomorrow's conference call, request a separate CUD account for this project.

Good job sultan!!! Pls keep on pushing ER and participants of the forum.

Dear Ethiopians, please do not waste your time in replying to people like, the Fact, Ibrahim, tolerance... etc. They are all buchilas of Woyane. They are known for such type of behavior. They niether work nor allow others to work. They are just useless. We have seen them for the past 14 years. So, JUST IGNORE THEM.

I live in Ethiopia and I would like to pledge 500 birr( FYI, this is half of my monthly salary). I make sure this will reach CUD office in Addis.

Dear Genuine Ethiopian:
Please read this article and do not have to waste your time with the CUD hidden agenda which is to remove article 30 , which is one of the core and thorny Ethiopian issues.
In addition, I do not want to waste my time and money to donate to CUD because they do not have good thing for Somali region let alone acceptance our rights.
Moreover, I will appeal Somali people in Diaspora to work on behalf of your people and look at what settlers are doing in front of your eyes.
They are undermining us as if we can not govern our region and God Almight give them the right to rule us. Somalis do not forget that you are born free and do not allow your children to be Amharized; you have to die freely and do not accept the yoke of other nations let alone the european who are today launching a music to help us when they do not want to write off the debt. The world is theater when the big fish swallows the small ones. Do not be the small one since Allah does not make one.

Here is what a true and genuine Somali in Somali region wrote:

To understand the situation better, one needs to visit the Somali Region where permanent state of emergency was fully operational for more than half a century and the security forces had shoot-to-kill mandate( His talking about the forefathersof CUD and its apologists). Until mid-1991 Somalis in the region needed to get a written permission with limited dates (exactly visa) from one district to its neighbor. Non-Somalis had represented our constituencies in Addis Ababa. Worse still, at times, to

become a Somali was crime enough for one to be arrested and even charged. Probably other regions had similar experiences.

Consequently, violent resistant was unfortunately the only option available for those who wanted to struggle against such an unjust and unjustifiably horrific practices. In this process, hundreds of thousands, if not millions, died and successive governments spent an awful lot of the much-needed money to silence the resistance. Negotiation, civilized dialogues and win-win approaches were extremely uncommon, if not absolutely non-existent.

It was this painful process that ultimately unseated the Dergue regime and brought EPRDF to power just a little more than 14 years ago. When it came to office, EPRDF announced its commitment to satisfy the political and social needs of nations and nationalities in the country(that is article 39 and Hailu, Lidetu and other Negede want to destry). Understandably, it was an uphill task and thorny challenge that needed to be carefully handled.

Ethiopia is a multi-ethnic country( This is what the people of North will never acknowledge and want to exercise the hegemony or domination of homoethnic) that has unfortunately, more dividing factors than uniting ones. We have various languages, cultures, religions and even values. Though bitter it may taste, the reality is that our national bond has been weak and needed to be carefully strengthened with equality and recognition of our differences within the state.

Probably, with this end in view, EPRDF not only facilitated but also played a leading and significant role in the adoption of the current Federal constitution. It guaranteed the rights of every Ethiopian citizen as well as that of the different ethnic groups. To accommodate the particular needs of the various peoples that make up Ethiopia, the constitution established nine (9) regional governments with (legally) equal status. This avoids the supremacy of one group over the others or one imposing its values on the other. Further, the constitution, by recognizing our differences was able to turn them into national resources.

I know a sizable number of Ethiopian elites oppose the constitution arguing that it divides us into a number of hostile ethnic groups. But we need to know that it is neither the constitution nor the EPRDF that divided us into such groups, but Allah (God). Article 39 of the constitution has specifically been a bone of contention for the last decade. But is the article a resource or constraint to our national unity?

In answering that question, as a Somali speaking Ethiopian citizen, I would, without hesitation, define the articles as a main source of unity. Let me remind you that in the last quarter of 1994 (some several months before the adoption of the constitution) our PM, then the president of the Transitional Government, met Ogaden elders in Gode. The meeting was arranged in an atmosphere of secrecy lest secessionist influence their position. However, they (elders) urged the PM to give them independence immediately. In the late 1997, the PM again visited Gode, with the intention to share the pain with the flood-stricken communities. In the process, he also managed to meet with the traditional community leaders and other respected elders. Fortunately, I happened to be in that meeting. Though the majority of the elders were among those of 1994, what they told the PM was the opposite. Why then did they change their previous stand? Another good example is the fact that during the Ethio-Eritrea war, Somalis fought the other side of the border with the belief of national defense-it has no historical precedence in our country. Similar actions had also been witnessed in other secession-prone areas, lately known as developing regions.

Of course, every group people of the world have a strong desire to improve their life. CUD (or Ethiopian Review) cannot tell us this!! This is a natural phenomenon. One thing you have to know is that the Somalian people in Ethiopia is the among the most neglected ones. I believe what they got from EPDRF is much better than any other adminstrations in Ethiopia history. The Somalian people are badly in need of admistratining themselves without much interference from the central government of Ethiopia!! Is CUD ready to accept this? I believe that then and only then we can concetrate on development:We need in our region Internaltion Airways, High ways universities, research centers etc? Is CUD ready to do this? I doubt!!!

Email: mussakab@math.temple.edu

City: USA

I pledge $100

mussa, why you doubt it?

Defintely , people in the Somali region desire change. Not only Ethiopian Somali but also the neighbour Somali realy want to see EPDRF go to hell. Somalians will never forget that Meles is the one who introduce ethnic fight in their home land. Somalians has never fought each other until Meles spread this ethnic disease. SO SOMALI WILL VOTE for CUD.

Name Pledge
1)Sultan $100
2)DillingerJ1 $100
3)asbea $500
4)Atalo $100
5)bb $500 (Birr)
6)Hirute $100
7)
8)
9)
10)

Let us not leave this election to chance. Put your money where your mouth is, then your talk will not be cheap. Ethiopia and CUD need you to keep making serious pledges.

Ethiopians including our Somali brothers and sisters are ready for a change. Let us make this aspiration come true. The woyane dogs will keep barking Amhara this, Article 39 that. It is their right to do so, as it is our right to repeat the election victory in Addis Ababa in Somali kilil.

Ibrahim,

We know what the deal is. you and your cronies have no shame ,you stand for pure hate and evil.

Email: nina@hotmail

City: Baltimore

Dear Tesfa,
Somali saying " A man who is drown in a torrent grips the bubble" . I know for use that you are lost the real game. That is why, you are running to say that I am full of hatred. I will repeat as long as I live that Somalis children will not be taught in Amharic and Somali people will rule their region.
I jsut read a long article that is published in economist and there is one interesting paragraph that descirbed how Negede and his cronies forced Ethiopian to live their country among them third of Ethiopia's doctors fled the country between 1988 and 1991.

Read the paragraph:
For the impatient, the Millennium Project offers a host of "quick wins", relatively simple fixes that demand little of state machinery. Many of the gravest threats to public health, for example, can be fought without hospitals, highly trained clinicians or expensive medical equipment. "Barefoot doctors" will do. Besides, well-shod, well-trained doctors tend to disappear overseas. A third of Ethiopia's doctors left the country between 1988 and 2001, according to the World Bank.

Top of the list of quick wins are mosquito bednets, impregnated with insecticide. They cost less than $4 and cut the risk of infants dying by 14%, to 63%. The appeal is obvious and immediate. At the World Economic Forum in Davos this year, a speech on malaria by Benjamin Mkapa, Tanzania's president, prompted Sharon Stone, a Hollywood actress, to stand up, pledge $10,000 for bednets on the spot, and challenge her fellow audience members to do the same.

as a Ethiopian of Somali descent I have the responsibility and obligation to shed light on the position of my people . In the Somali State we have two school of thought .One that says our marriage with the rest of Ethiopia is a marriage of inconveneinece and the olny way out is secession(ONLF stand) .On other hand there are those of us who believe in confederation with other states in finding a mutual coexitence and sharing both sorrow and joy with all Ethiopia's diverse nationalites.With this in mind I believe honestly that CUD has lost the opportunity to rectify the grave mistakes of EPRDF(holding the power in selected few but not elected reps and bad human right record ).By stating our stand we are niether TRAITORS nor CADRE of some sort.To make it very simple CUD's stated objectives do not resonate with Somali,Oromo and other people's aspiration ; a federal system with State and fedaral rules or total separation each to his fate .Ethiopia is at crossroad and I pray for a lasting and peacful solution; a solution that makes us united , diverse, hopeful , progressive,caring ,equal,confederate ....... human.

Ibrahmi,

You are in a rut!

Email: nina@hotmail

City: Baltimore

Ibrahim,
Facts not Rhetorics,
Where and when did you hear CUD preaching somali children to use Amharic? What is your problem? Paranoid dellusion or full blown insanity. I completely agree with you that Somali region is the most neglected area in Ethiopia. Yes, things were better with EPRDF. The question is, Is that all the Somali people deserve? Could they be getting even more? Is that all your dream about teh people of Somali region? For instance, according to the population, is 23 parliamentary seat appropriate for somali region? Are resources fairly distrbuted by EPRDF? Don't you think EPRDF had reason to block the the census against the interest of somali people?

Ibrahim, there can't be anything more useful than the power of vote to the somalies. Would Somali people benefit from CUD/UEDF programs? Big yes, for what CUD/UEDF stands for is one man one vote. Would it be CUD or TPLF/EPRDF who would respect votes? I will leave the judgement to you. The only thing "Dua yemadergillih" for the ethnic demon which has posessed you to leave you intact. Inshallah, it will.

One more information, some of the senior leadership in CUD were your EPRP compatriots. I am not sure whether their transit was through Djibouti though.

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

Somali people, not the REGION desires change . The LAND does not speak for itself, but the people who OWN AND LIVE ON it DO! .

This remains us another argument that we hear a lot.

Some People say Ethiopia needs the ASSAB port of Eriteraia with out mentioning the people, as if there is no people who live and own it.

We never said a peep until others started professing what is best for our region . What is next .....

Further more ,it's hard to understand why perpetuate self defeating argument of "CUD is ordained to decide,control, and think for all " .

AS if the Somali, the Oromo,and the rest of Ethiopians do not have thier own CUD,DDD,BBB,MMMs ...

We told you, others know.... now and time again
What is best for them

AND YOU DARE TO CALL US
names......
cadre.. traitors.. hateful....
"CALL it a CROCODILE cry "

the somally shoud no support TPLF OR CUD cos they r the same side of the coin both of them abbesinians figthing for control for the rest of ethiopia, in the somally case those the TPLF GOVERNMENT has not built a single school or hospital the derg all he did is destroy ogaden like what he did in eritrea, all they want is power, once they come and hold it the ogaden people r forgotten for good the only way out is to fight UNDER THE LEADERSHIP OF ONLF then the abbesinians will respect u and treat u on equal footing keep fighting ogaden shall be free

Email: mahari5@aol .com

City: london

according to Ibrahim Shirdon truth speaks for itself.
CAN YOU refute the following facts.
not by name calling or crying loud
but by presentable facts

according to Ibrahim Shirdon and Me
Meles formed 23 elementary school, 6 high schools and two institutions; the schools created when Meles is ruling are taught in Somali language upto grade six with culture and history of somalise that kidds can appreciate and identify with .This one of the cornerstones of fundamental basic human right. "early childhood education is learned best with once mother tongue and culture".we never had this basic right for long! long! time ..

Moreover, Meles allows Somali region to have its own budget, flag, somali police force , somali speaking court system , and on the Ethiopian map a clear and beautful Somali State of the federal republic of Ethiopia .

We might NOT agree with all Meles Zenawi's policies but let us call a spite a spite and tell the bad and the good.

However, the duo Haile and Mengestu has left with one eight grade school , six elementary and one high. These school taught Somali children in amharic a twisted and distorted history of their own land. Even teaching Somali language was crime punishable by death then.

in addition, the duo Haile and Mengestu ruled with iron fist using thugs that killed not only innocent Somali but also poisoning water wells killing the animals resorting to the lowest of lowest crimes against one's own countrymen.

To add an insult to injury, they tricked some of the somali groups calling the region Ogaden verbally to divide and rule, but On the map for the rest of the world and even for rest of Ethiopia's they named the region HARARGE KIFLAHAGER (which means the Harere part of the country) misrepersenting the somali people.
The list will go on and on.

IF THE is CUD an incarination of Haile and Mengestu ? THEN .......

IF NOT let them start in Amahara State and prove it. And the rest of us might learn and stand corrected .
LET US not CROSS the BRIDGE before WE reach

To the so called "the fact",Ibrahim
According to the cause ethio-somali conflict during 1977..."Ethiopian-Somali hostility and, in particular, the territorial ambitions of Somali leader Mohammed Siad Barre, who claimed that ethnic Somalis were being persecuted in the Ogaden region of eastern Ethiopia and deserved liberation and incorporation into Somalia proper" i think your ambition and goal you are discussed since can be summarised to the above quote, and that will be anothre issues to all ethiopians, the issues you guys raised can only emerge from the enemies of Ethiopia,which can be either Somalians or Eritrean ruling party(not the people) and that will be dealt properly like we always done in 1977.so you guys shouldn't be in this websites in the first place, this websites are only dedicated for all ethiopians ONLY not to those who wishies ethio to be like what the Somalia are now.Every Ethiopians knows all these tricks deep to our bones so there is no place for un-civilised old British style "Divide and Rule" policy.
We Ethio-somalians always been with ethiopia not to your wish.

Email: meo344@hotmail.com

City: addis

Dear Ali,
Thank you.
Donadoni

Dear Ali
We kindly implore you and all other respected guests wishing to discuss the ethio -somali issues to please stick to the point of debate, refrain from name calling, and please try to stomach other point of view.

You might be young or born in the North of Ethiopia with no opportunity for "your" or Somali history . if I show kindness and teach you one or two facts you need to learn ..
1 .." The late Mohamed siad Barre : former president of Somalia was a native of Somali State of Ethiopia . He was Born in Shilabo Ogaden and if he stayed in ethiopia of then HE would have mounted to no more than a camel herdsman or worse dead on the hands of the military thugs.

2.. And the military lesson of 1977 that you claim Ethiopia thaught to Somalia were very spectacular and highly note worthy piece of history. BUT they were IN RUSSIAN got it
the LESSON was wrote (written) in RUSSIAN .

for reference to the RUSSIAN PARTICIPATION IN THE WAR OF 1977 bw Ethio-Somalia go to any library in the World, When you find the facts please do not name call the World too, just as you keep doing here...

As an Ethiopian from Somali State(Zone 5)I honestly believe in the aspiration of the Somali, the Oromo and other like minded people who want a FEDERAL SYSTEM WITH STATE RULES, FEDERAL RULES, AND REPRESENTATIVE DEMOCRACY BASED ON NATIONALITY.
Where each state works in language people in that State speak and understand(mother tongue) and at Federal level one common language for the national unity (Amharic a well developed Ethiopian National treasure).

based on the above AM I A TRAITOR ? if so to what?
to an imaginary unity that you might wish to exist; A Nation of one language ordained by one group
or
based on the above AM I REALISTIC ? if so to what?
to a common ground to coexist peacfully as Nation of many Nationalities

The fact,
Have you checked the programs of UEDF? What is your problem with that? There are as many democratic minded people who support UEFF who have some differecnces in the issue of federalism with CUD. But, the two work together for both have the good of larger Ethiopian and Ethiopians at heart. Not, TPLF/EPRDF. We haven't seen it delivering what it promissed 14 years back.

What about that?

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

Fact,lets assume the federal system you darely claim works,if i go to trade with somali merchants whom are most speaks amharic how do you intended we exchange communication?

dear Jadu
For the first time we start talking some sense.
if I understood you clearly, you are talking about Marara and Bayene party. Well I agree with Most of what they stand for. First of all they recognize the right of the nations and nationalites. I think they are honestly tring to solve the problem of EPRDF by peacefully working out with the government and gradually gaining popualr support for peaceful transfer of power sooner or latter.

As Somali -Ethiopian I am for the individual,nationalities,and the Nation as whole. I am for freedom of movement and association where every person can live and work in any State he wishes to do so, as long as he respects the laws of that state. I am for where States can not discriminate on ethnic, nationality, or .... .

I am for where ones hard work pays off, where the law works for the betterment of all Ethiopians not for few selected groups.I am for where the little Somali nomadic boy, the little Amhara boy in showa, the oromo in Awassa and the Gambella in deep south will each sing a song in his language expressing about the greatness of his nation where his forefathers fought for the common good.

I am for Unity of the nation while respecting and nuturing its beautiful diversity. You will understand more vividly if you ever been in national ceremony where all Ethiopians presented their traditional dance and cultural costumes It makes you proud to say I AM AN ETHIOPIAN, their beauty is breath taking .

I am only ****** off when one tells us to kow tow for small minority POINT OF VIEW IN EVERY THING. As if the sum of our whole is less than ONE part. I am not claiming so so is better than so so, and in the same token I am not willing never to accept a hallow unity and false pride in which one thinks he is born to lead others and because of his ethnicity he has god given nobility AND he expect us to be bound in his wisdom . I tell you man that is a farce! ... A farce!

Dear Fact,
I hope that you do not waste your time with a people who have already made up their mind. They are not ready to discuss issue, but they are speaking out or expressing their myopic and narrow outlook that they have gained when bloody and villain Haile and fascist derg were ruling Ethiopia.
Keep up the good work and Somali region will never be ruled by these thugs.

dear DillingerJ1
The following is a copy of what I wrote already
((( Where each state works in language people in that State speak and understand(mother tongue) and at Federal level one(1) common language for the national unity (Amharic a well developed Ethiopian National treasure). ))))

In every State in Ethiopia students are thought AMHARIC as a subject, and all citizens are required to speak Amharic at federal level. In addition People learn different languages including Amharic due to market and economic forces, NOT because ONE language is a must for our national identity. You can speak all your life only Oromo and no one in the world would disagree that you are not Ethiopian.

Sir If you have some thing important to offer, NOT only your fellow Ethiopians but even The Chinese will make sure to understand you. That is economics 101.

Please do not get me wrong I am not advocating for EPRDF or any other group. If anybody disproves my assertions let him do it with facts not hatred for me or others.

the fact,you seem real person where let me see Oromoia region in Ethiopia am i right?

facts,why you refering''you Ethiopians'' rather We Ethiopians?

DillingeJi

Fact says that " You Ethiopian" because you are settler who eats Kitfo and your thought are coming from your muscle not from brain since it is already clogged.
I will brotherly advise you to get the visa from Fact and go to Somali region and drink a lot of camel milk. Then, come back to this Forum and discuss the issues.

Dear DilligerJ1 and all other respected guests
I once more implore you to make our discussion as candid and clear(I never meant I am not an Ethiopian).

I would like to appologize on behave of my friend and brother Shirdon and kindly ask him to tone down a bit.

Neither Shirdon nor I or any other Somali denied our Ethiopian Nationality because OUR State is part of Federal Republic of Ethiopia whether somebody likes it or not.

I bet you Somalian with thier SHIRID walk holding thier heads high in the streets of ADDIS ABABA not because of Meles but OTHER Ethiopians also walk proudly in the streets of Jigjiga , Deredawa , Daghbur ,Godey etc...

" IT'S tit for A tat"

As a citizens we have right and obligations .We joined this forum and stayed late to do our obligation (to speak for our people and state ), and to make sure that others do not misrepresent us.

We are not interested in pleasing or displeasing anybody . We do not need any affirmation of our allegiance. We are only obliged to the laws of our state and in consortium LAWS OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA

fact,then act like an Ethio/Somalian,CUD has not been tasted in Amhara,Tegre,Oromo,and Somali state all this fuss is because eprdf scared of cud what will be tomorrow,well Ibrahim/Fact are you better of with EPRDF who telling you you have no right for your people or do you want the CUD whose aim high in all region,which is going to be Ibrhim/Fact?

Hello All;

It is surprising to see fellow comaptriots crying for the freedom of the Somali people.

For those CUD supporters Ethiopia-->Amharic-->Doro wat--> Orthodox --> Eskista and all sorts of allegations, complain, defamation until the above is true.

None of you know nothing about the Somalis, the Afars, The Gambellas, Benishanguls, the Oromos, the Sidamas, the Kefichos, etc......

What you only know is the Amhara and one Ethiopia (the land).
You are for struggling to unify the land called Ethiopia NOT THE PEOPLE.

If you consider the people just form your party or any political organization under the name of Amhara ... and then try to form coalition with other similar sister organizations NOT UNDER THE CAMUFLAGE OF ONE ETHIOPIA.

It is then the Unity of Ethiopians will come.

Do you know out of the 425 CUD candidates only 85 (less than a quarter) are Muslims! In a country where 40--50% is Muslim.!!!!!

Mohammed (Addis Ababa)

Email: lmazgenet@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa

Dear Mohamed:
You name has scared some of them since they are still living in the mindset of lion of lion and kind of juda. They do not want to hear the truth as Somali goes" the camel man will make up his/her mind and pretend to discuss the issue at hand" These people are daqax dixod ( stone) and you will think that water will in it.Ethiopia is gone in the direction of embracing all her children including the settlers ones.

Ibrahim,

What is wrong with you? Are you that moron? How in the world you teach law?
The people of Ethiopia have spoken!!!!!!!! The people of Ethiopia from all ethnic groups have voted for CUD willingly with out being forced by gun.Why don’t you respect the people’s voice? What is democracy means to you?

Far more than the majority of Ethiopian people hate Meles. They have seen his work for the last fourteen years and they despise him. They want a change. What is a rule of law means to you? Do you wish anarchy for Ethiopia, like Somalia?

Do you support Meles' effert to divide Ethiopian people?

Ibrahim,

While we appreciate your support for EPRDF, your comments are more damaging to EPRDF’s image than showing its true nature.

EPRDF is not a collection of stupid idealists as you portray it to be. Our party has come a long way in creating a conducive environment for a peaceful dialogue to take place by all parties on current and future issues for Ethiopia. The fact that we have allowed Ethiopians to cast their vote in a democratic way shows the commitment that we have for our citizens. This has never been done in Ethiopian history before.

However, we are continuously being dragged by infantile attitudes and destructive forces both within our party and outside. In the face of the recent decline of support for our party, we need people who can bring some commonalities with other parties and individuals than create even deeper differences among Ethiopians.

Most of your comments are very narrow minded and they do not revolve around the issues at hand. Not every issue culminates in some ethnic group being better or worse. Our party is bigger than just ethnic politics. If you can’t substantiate your points of view, it is better not to comment on them than make EPRDF look like a bunch of brainwashed morons by plunging into areas of discussion that are over your head. Please engage in dialogue of betterments rather than circling around one issue every time.

Email: samuel_van@hotmail.com

City: Vancouver, canada

Dear Party Concerned:
As the saying goes you can run, but you can not hide. Let me ask you a simple question Mr. Settler?
What is the alternative that you deliver for Ethiopian people in case you unseat EPRDF?
The simple answer is the ruling of one and only one ethnic called settler that make Ethiopia the poorest country in the world.
It will culminate ethiopia to be Hell on Earth and poor people will flee as they have previously wehn you were in the helm of the power.
Thank Meles and his cabinet who eradicate settlers and murders and their apologists( AGabgabi)

check out this it's great!!!!

Dagnachew Teklu
Addis Ababa

Five Oromo political parties namely the Oromo Abbo Liberation Front, Oromo Liberation Unity Front, Oromo Liberation National Party, Geda System Party and Oromo Federalist Democratic Movement signed yesterday an agreement for their merger and formation of one party-Front for the Forces of Oromo Struggle (FFOS).

Yesterday's announcement comes a day after members of another opposition party the Coalition for Unity and Democracy CUD announced a similar move.

"We five Oromo political parties have decided to coordinate our efforts aiming to translate into action the principle of self - determination which is provided in the nation's Constitution, but has never been properly implemented." the parties said during a press conference they jointly called at the Addis Ababa Hilton.

They said that they would continue to struggle for the Oromo peoples' affairs in accordance to the country's Constitution.

"We are talking of the right to run our regional affairs by our selves. Ethiopia is characterized as having diversified societies, we consider this diversity to be a factor for our unity, and not for disintegration," said Bulcha Demekessa, who was chairman of the Oromo Federalist Democratic Movement (OFDM).

"As Ethiopians and as Oromos we are committed for true and genuine federal system to every one. We are not ready to accommodate a rule from the central government in our day to day affairs in our regional state." He said.

Before the merger the Oromo Federalist Party had won 11 seats in the Federal Parliament.

As FFOS the party hopes to gain more seats in both parliaments, ones the final result is hammered out after completion of investigations into the election complaints.

Relevant Links

East Africa
Ethiopia

"We disagree with political parties that say ethnic based federalism has to be abolished. We are for Ethiopia that respects diversity. We are hundred percent loyal to Ethiopia's federalism system," said Musa Hajji Adem, who before the merger was Secretary General of Oromo Abbo Liberation Front.

The FFOS has also called other Oromo parties to join it.

to all readers to READ!!!!!!!!!!
The somali people fully support (LOVE),and stand side by side with no reservation to the following script from -Front for the Forces of Oromo Struggle (FFOS).

please kindly your attention!!

five Oromo political parties have decided to coordinate efforts . They said that they would continue to struggle for the Oromo peoples' affairs in accordance to the country's Constitution.

". Ethiopia is characterized as having diversified societies, we consider this diversity to be a factor for our unity, and not for disintegration, We are talking of the right to run our regional affairs by our selves "(IT MEANS NOT BY OTHERS got it!!!!) said Bulcha Demekessa, who was chairman of the Oromo Federalist Democratic Movement (OFDM).