Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SPICY NEWS on UCD!

Looking into CUD’s June 22, 2005 meeting

Minute of meeting incorporated

[The following text is translated from Iftin, a weekly Amharic news paper, Friday, July 1, 2005]

Meeting of the Council of Coalition for Unity and Democracy

(June 22, 2005)

Agenda:-Strategy of the Coalition for Unity and Democracy and the complaint investigation process of the National Electoral Board of Ethiopia (NEBE).

Participants:-

Engineer Hailu

Dr. Admasu

Dr. Hailu

Dr. Yacob

Ato Lidetu

Major Admasu

Major Getachew

Ato Gizachew

Ato Kifle

Ato Chekul

Woizero Lenesil and others

[Though the meeting on this day largely dwelt on the investigation process, the controversial issue was the strategy devised on resolving the dispute around the election. The following is the minute we secured regarding the subject. ]

Ato Lidetu:- “ We should not participate in the investigation process for the following reasons. One, we should not enter the process while the conditions upon which we have reached agreement with the EPRDF are not met and those imprisoned are not freed. Two, the organization of the Complaint Review Body is not in accordance with the agreement reached. On these bases, we should withdraw from the process. We should boycott it. The EPRDF and UEDF may proceed, if they wish to do so.

On the other hand, taking part in the process would make us vulnerable to criticism. We have to boycott the process by even citing lame excuses. No benefit would be earned from the investigation process and re-run. EPRDF is not in any way willing to give up its power. This tactic would even help us to continue accusing the EPRDF of vote rigging and irregularities. On the contrary, if the case is legally settled, EPRDF would get legitimacy. Yet when I propose boycotting the process you should note that I am not saying we should abandon the seats we have won.”

Engineer Gizachew: - “We should not boycott the process by looking for lame excuses. It is our right to demand that conditions be fulfilled.Otherwise, we have to abide by the proclamation we have signed and identify our complaints and request for a hearing within 48 hours as required by the NEBE. Yet is would be good if we demand that the government release the persons it has detained.”

Dr. Yacob:- “ I agree with Ato Gizachew. We have to abide by the agreement. We should further engage in the process forwarding all our complaints. Boycotting would lead us into a conflict with the international community. And this would be harmful to us. Abiding by the agreement, on the other hand, would lend credibility to our organization.”

Dr. Admassu:- [He was the chair of the meeting as engineer Hailu didn’t attend the meeting.] After listening to similar views of the other participants, he took same stand as Engineer Gizaw.

Summing up the consensus of the house he said, “the process should continue. And that in effect was the essence of our agreement.”

At this juncture, Ato Lidetu was again given the floor.

Ato Lidetu: - “We are here because we have always been subservient to the ferengis (the foreigners). Therefore I would like my difference to be put on the record.’’

The morning session was thus concluded. But an extended meeting continued in the afternoon. Engineer Hailu, who in the morning met diplomats, summed up the outcome of the meeting with the diplomats to the group stating that “the demand requesting the release of detainees should be dropped from the strategy”. Then, a second round meeting on the strategy followed.

Engineer Hailu:-[The Chairman began by citing what Ato Lidetu in particular said in the morning and went on to sternly say that,] “agreeing does not mean allowing the EPRDF to do as it pleases. EPRDF won’t leave us alone even if we do so. It detains our members, closes offices and would dissolve the Coalition. We could however get support from the diplomats by only sticking to the strategy of abiding by the agreement, by putting aside the problems we have been facing and will be facing in the future, securing the seats we have thus far won at federal and state levels as well as those we shall earn through the investigation process.”

[The demand that has earlier been raised by the participants subsequently subsided and the view of the chairman prevailed.]

However, Ato Lidetu agitatedly forwarded the following statement.

Ato Lidetu:- “To begin with, we never expected to get more vote than what we got. And now, we cannot get anything from EPRDF. We will not gain from the process, except losing what we have already won. If we are expecting to seize power through this process, we are simply dreaming. EPRDF is not also ready for this. Therefore, to secure what we won and to also not displease the people, we should boycott the process and engage in demonstrations and strikes refraining from causing damages to life and property. Having thus diffused the anger of the people, we should prepare ourselves for the coming election in the five years by securing the seats we have won.’’

Engineer Hailu (Furiously): - “Why then exert all this effort, if we are not winning. We shall actively engage in the complaint investigation process. And during re-run, we should integrate our efforts and ensure the participation of international observers to make sure that we win. If we fail in doing so, we can at least demonstrate that the process is undemocratic.”

Dr. Admasu:- “I have assessed that we can win over the Amhara State council. It is however difficult to say that winning the majority seats in the federal parliament is possible because, we are beaten at the other states in a wide margin. Even then, if we ensure our victory in Addis Ababa and the Amhara State, this would be a springboard to the coming election. Thus as Engineer Hailu said we should do our level best to win in the Amhara state by concerting our efforts.”

The afternoon meeting finally ended with the view of the Chairman taken as a common stand.

The CUD leadership also convened a secret meeting on 28th June 2005. It was indicated on the occasion that diplomatic victory that would boost the morale of CUD members has been gained. This was manifested when Dr. Birhanu Nega in his stay in German has held discussion with the foreign minister of German. We will publize the detail of the discussion and change of political stance in the next week edition.

A political analyst who spoke on the issue said the leadership of CUD is found in cross roads. Because the time will not allow them to spend their time on wishful thinking and unfounded gain. Instead they should devise clear directions on the basis of concrete results and objective realities on the ground. He said they are failing to work out the burden of their past. The analyst said apart from common understanding to change EPRDF, they seem to have no vision and program and strong inter party relationships. He said he would be surprised to see them coming out of this situation without splitting

Email: GZemariame@aol.com

Re: SPICY NEWS on UCD!

Gebreselassie Zemariame,

Let us assume that the message you posted here is reflects either the general sentiment of the discussion or represents a word to word transcript of the discussion at the meeting.

If that is the case, it shows the coalition is a true democratic meeting where leaders of the opposition express their views and build consensus. That is alien to the culture prevailing in EPRDF. If you do not believe me ask Seye Abraham.

Why do I sense that you seem to dwell much on Ato Lidetu’s story. Between the lines one can sense some disappointment in his alleged removal from the party, notwithstanding the credibility of the story.

You tell us that “some liberal members of CUD executive committee are said to be disappointed by the manipulative attitude and short fused approach of Ato Lidetu to serious matters that are determinant to the very existence of the coalition itself.” At the same time the alleged minute suggests a heated debate between Engineer Hailu and Ato Lidetu. For the record, you have been telling us that Engineer Hailu represents the conservative/fundamentalist. In his sense your report indicates that both the conservative and the liberal wings of the coalition oppose Ato Lidetu’s hardliner stand. The supposed minute that was designed to plant the seeds of division between the liberal and conservative factions seems to suggest to the contrary.

In general, if your story is true, I am fairly happy with the general discussion. It suggests that the coalition is much more seasoned have I have give it credit. I really like their smart reading of the international scenario. Thanks for sharing this with us. Though I am not sure if we owe you for your service or we owe it to your stupidity. The outcome is the same nonetheless. Looking forward to reading the next minutes of CUD. May be you should also share with us TPLF’s minutes. I like to read what they are saying about Seye Abraha, your hero who is langusing in Alem Bekagn.

Mamo Qilo

I think this if fiction, but if it's true, it shows that EDP (the new name - UEDP-Medhin) doesn't have party disciplin where the secretary general Lidetu contradicting or disagreeing with his chairman Dr Admasu. Since CUD is a coalition of 4 groups, each group should have only one voice at the CUD meeting. Again, I highly doubt the authenticity of this piece of info, but if it is authentic, I think UEDF-Medhin has serious organizational malfunction which must be corrected immediately. This crisis also could not have happened had the party followed a correct party organization principle and discipline of speaking in one voice.

A party where there is no difference of opinions is a dead party (functional or physical death). This minute shows CUD is livelier and stronger than we thought. G/Sellasie, Can you tell us who owns that paper which gets such a assifeid information? Not even "reporter" didn't manage to get such classified information.
Again I would like to Welcome G/Sellasie/concern :EPRDF Propaganda officer to ER.

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area