Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The CUD still dealing with the election board

The CUD leadership made a decision to continue to participate in the vote probing process. Tomorrow, 26 investigative teams composed of representatives of opposition parties, the ruling party and the Election Board will be sent to different regions of the country. Last Saturday, CUD leader Ato Hailu Shawel had said that unless all detained CUD members are released he will call off the meetings with the Election Board. It's not clear what made CUD decide to continue with the probing process. The government continues to arrest more CUD members, let alone release those it is holding. ER was unable today to contact Ato Gizachew Shiferraw, who is responsible for CUD's election related affairs. He's been on meetings all day.

Re: The CUD still dealing with the election board

Does CUD care about its people who are languishing in jail? Would Mandela do this? Would Ghandi do this? Would Nkrumah do this? Would George Washington do this? Lidetu refused to do it. So should all the other CUD leaders!

It hurts me to say that CUD is on the wrong track. I don't want to say any thing more for now.

Few CUD Leaders are killing the peoples spirit. please , please give a chance to the young generation

Email: tessema2@hotmail.com

Let them do go all the possible steps and I hope they are wise enough to make the last decisions. Who knows by withdrawing they might loss some thing which will favour them. Politics is not mathematics and what the members other parties produce might be accepted.

So please let us keep silent for the time being.

Email: shultz@yahoo.com

City: Amesterdam

I used to support EPRDF. I do not support EPRDF NO MORE.(after they murdered 36 people and arrested countless citizens)
I Support CUD or any opposition to that matter for trying to solve this peacefully. IT WAS COMMENDABLE DECISSION TO FOR THEM TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS PROBE AND WE HAVE TO SUPPORT THEM ALL THE WAY.lidetu should have stayed too. that is what leadership is all about. we all remember what AL GORE did this past election. he didn't want to drag this country in turmoil and he did what needs to be done.we need to let the process work first. we ethiopians around the world did and are doing a good job informing the world what kind of murderous leader Meles is. he watched 36 ppl killed and said the killing was justified. i couldn't believe he would come out and say that.

Email: samiam1077@yahoo.com

City: atlanta

It is a wise decision. Withdrawing might have worked in civilized nations, but not in Ethiopia where the government doesn't give a darn. Actually, had they had withdrawn, it would have been a happy day for the government so that it could use that to arrest and kill more. People, the only way to defeat EPRDF is quitely, without giving it a way to attack back. As a matter of fact, I have come to agree with some friends of mine that it may not be a good idea to have the opposition assume power this time round. Not because they are unable to lead, but because EPRDF might do something as stupid as deviding the country and leave. For now, they should stay in parliament and work on neutralizing the public media, the military, etc. But even that is if EPRDF will be willing to let them do anything, because those monsters have shown they dont care about the contstitution they put there. But they can stay there and work on winning the people's hearts, meaning of all ethnic groups, and the military, so that EPRDF will not have anything to stand and fight on next time. They should find out ways to outsmart EPRDF throughout the next five years.

It will be too early to judge on CUD`s decision. BUT there is one fact, the BLOOD of innocent Ethiopians can never be compromised. All the oppositions have to take in mind this BIG fact. Any other move undermining people struggle will be a crime outhweghting what is done by EPRDF-Woyane! The time is not about personal proud,party ideology or whatsoever nonsense; it is about the future of Ethiopians! All Ethiopians showed their firm support for the opposition and their future is at crossroad, if the oppositions compromise, there will be more and more suffering, and Ethiopia shall be like a HELL for the majority. There is no better 2morrow with EPRDF in power. I am not saying it because i dislike Woyane, but the recent rejections by the people will make Woyane a real DEVIL hunting for innocent anti-EPRDF Ethiopians(i.e. all Ethiopians, except the majority in Tigray, if not at all).

To CUD: Hizbn Anekakto We****n Malet, YeGehanemsatn kulf leEPRDF endemestet yikoterlal (Hell is already with EPRDF)!!!

Ethiopia shall overcome!!!
Ethiopians shall be free of Any sort of Tirbal based politics!!!

Email: kkebero@yahoo.com

City: Why

Shultz: There is nothing wise about ignoring the plight of your members. Any dealing with woyanne must have stopped until all the harassement, imprisonment, torture and killing of CUD members have stopped. The Berhanu Nega faction of the CUD is a bunch of sellouts. If they don't care about their own members who are being tortured at this very moment, do you think they will care about the people of Ethiopia if they come to power?

Dealing each other ...politics is dirty game, no one is for the benefit of people. We saw all the properties of EPRDF people....what about CUD pepole..
Dr Birhanu Nega....Semien Hotel, Global Hotel, Tegene Building on Bole Road, Dama Hotel, Rock Bottom, The new building infron of Tele Medhane alem under constraction.....
Hailu Shawl...houses like the big compound Norway Embassy rented, four consulting companies .........

they do care about them seleves not for the poor ethiopia......
Don't foolsh Ethiopian poor who doesn't have to eat.

Email: alem2000@yahoo.com

City: Addis

thank you Tomas, you said it all. This is Berhanu Nega and Prof. Mesfin's work, they are trying to put a cold water on the movement. they will never succeed.

What a shame!! Why do we Ethiopians rush to criticism with out having the facts?? Do any of you know why CUD still dealing with the election? I don't think so!! So, do not rush to criticize CUD. This will create an oportunity for WOYANES cadre to divide us. Thank you CUD and UEDF for whatever work you are doing to give the Ethiopian people democracy and justice through peaceful as much as possible. You are our leaders and we'll do whatever you ask us to do. We are with you! You the leaders and the Ethiopian people are the ones who are about to defeat WOYANES killing Machine and expose its false propagandas to the world without any bullet! Thank God, we have leaders like these! Keep it up CUD and UEDF!!!!!

I think they made the right decision. I do not think it is a good idea to be an extremist on every situation. It is better to be a pragmatist(like Dr. Berhanu is). Let us look at the situation here. If they go out of this process at this early stage, it could enrage the International community, which worked very hard to broker this deal. This also means losing face with the donor countries who have got the real infleunce. But if they continue with this process, exhaust all other legal processes as well, only then will be the right time to boycott. Hot temper does not serve anyone any good. I think Ato Hailu Shawel should always consult with the other members before making such "radical" statements. Because this is not the first time he did something like this. N'ways I say it is better to beat Woyane in its own game than boycotting. Boycotting would always turn out to be a one time thing and it would die away in a short time. But perseverance does have its reward. I hope I am not too soft. N'ways this is my view.

Email: texu1392@yahoo.com

Berhanu Nega doesn't want to win now. He wants to wait 5 more years as an oppositon and wants to run for prime minister himself in the next election. In the mean time screw CUD members, screw the people who trusted CUD with their votes, and screw the people of Ethiopia.

My pepole, lets not rush into criticism, there has to be a good reason, why CUD decide to continue With political process. I belive they won't let us down.

Email: rasmekonnen@yahoo.com

City: Minneapolis

Bereded and sunshine i personally agree with you 100%
YOU BOTH MADE VERY GOOD POINTS.

Email: samiam1077@yahoo.com

City: atlanta

There you go! Now they are coming to their senses. This is the way to go about it. CUD wasted all this time whining about one thing or another when they could have achieved a lot more.

As they say in Ethiopia: Bilte Lije Eyebela Yaleksale.

God Bless Ethiopia !!!

City: USA

One thing we Ethiopians should build is the culture of trust.The people has given its vote for the CUD; we have to trust the CUD leadership in its decision whether some of us feel comfortable or not.In one hand we say they are capable of leading the country ,on the contrary we question every step thay take.Let's leave them alone! They are in the front line to face the worst measures the Meles regime is to take if things go wrong.Let's believe them, support their decisions, and strengthen our hands with the CUD leaders.

I think it is a good decision! With regard to the international community they should go on the process till EPRDF is totaly naked off its "Democracy"

Email: ok03madboy@yahoo.com

City: Brussels

For those true supporter who were confused with CUD's decision, listen Eng. Gizachew's interview on VOA. I convienced the decision they took is the wise one and is most likely supported by peace loving Ethiopians. It's a win-win situation for CUD and Ethiopian people!

God be with CUD/UEDF and the Ethiopian Poeple!

The CUD is trying its best to get out of this election process. Eventhough plight of your members is not something that can be put aside but the major objective of the whole process is to have the voice of millions of Ethiopians heard. I think we need not to jump to conclusions before we know the complete picture of what's going on.

The Decisoon that CUD took could be very nice if it asked the release of all of its members and supporters from jail. Look, evebn now the investigation process is being carried on, Woyane didnot chasseing and killing the supporters and members of CUD. So, how the people trust CUD in the future if it dose not help them at such critical times? It was good for CUD to ask all of its supporters and memers before the start of the investigation.

Email: assfaw@yahoo.com

City: DC

To my fellow Ethiopians, let us not throw away what we have achieved just because we have not reached our ultimate goal. In politics, CUD & UEDF are the best thing that have happened to us in the past fouteen years. They are not perfect, but they are the best we have. As we persevered and made them stand together during the election against EPDRF, we should do the same to strengthen them and make them an even more potent oppostion to EPDRF. How
1) Continue supporting them in their dealings with EPDRF and the international community
2) support them financially, specially if there is to be a re-lection in some districts
3) Continue our struggle abraod unabated. Trust me our militant demonstrations and their dealing with the International community do re-enforce each other.
4) Have faith in CUD and UEDF as a whole for their brief history shows nothing but a committment to their country and people. The leaders of these organizations are still standing tall and continue to do the right thing against a government which has practically put its gun on their head. If it were not for their resistance, the international community would have pressured them to give in to EPDRF in the early days of the elections. Thanks to their firm stand, and of course our people inside and even abroad, the international communty seems to intervene now in a more even handed way.
5) Don't despair my fellow Ethiopians. We have to be ready to ride the high and low ebbs together. If possible, I suggest that excellent media outlets like ER find a communication venue between us and the CUD & UEDF leadership at home so that we can ask them directly about anything: our fears, hopes and misgivings. It is impossible to travel the ardous road to freedom that is fenced by regimes like EPDRF, if we start thinking the worst about each other when ever something goes wrong and/or we misundestand each other, etc. We have good beginnings in CUD & UEDF. Let us make them even better by doing what I suggested above.

City: dallas

I agree with what Daniel said “the CUD leadership who are on front line and face every thing thrown from WYANE”. Let give time for political process and see the out come. As currently practically proved, WAYANE is losing both internal and international support. This easy and fasten its political death. We should also appreciate differences in issues and governed by majority. What CUD really doing is: show the world how to lead responsible and peaceful political atmosphere. There is time and limit for such process. That depends on WAYNEs’ action.

Email: Satenaw001@yahoo.com

WOYANE have two things in mind to get out of the hell they are in.
1) to force CUD/UEDF to either accept EPRDF as winner of thisn election or boycott the post election process by any means necessary
2) to take power militarily without the will of the people-- it could be using Agazzi, Jailing all opposition leaders, or dividing the country

WOYANEs are not even ready to have an opposition in the parlament or share power, let alone give up their blood-suckin' power

The comment made by Ethiopian Review suggests that they do not support CUD's participation in the Vote probing process. Do you know why? If the vote issues are resolved, they will run out of news and no one will read their paper. They are the Rush Limbo of Ethiopia. They will do anything to keep the violence and anarchy to continue. Shame ! Shame ! Shame !

CUD - congratulation on your change of direction. Kudos to you all.

City: USA

Good job, Ethiopian Review! You are reporting the facts as they are unlike the so called WaltaInfo, "ethiopian" news agency, "E"TV, "E"-radio, and RadioWayane("FANA). These five media should be ashamed of their work. They are mouth piece of Woyane.

Ethiopian Review reports what needs to be reported for the Ethiopian people. It does not serve as a mouth piece of any political party.

One Recent Powerful Thing ER Accomplished:
ER's report W/z Almaze's detention by woyane cadres has forced the police to release W/z Almaz. Thank you, ER!!

The only peace that exists now is for the CUD, UEDF and Woyanne leaders. The people people of Ethiopia are being terrorized, tortured and killed, many turned into refugees in their own country. Woyane is doing this because with the June 8 massacre it tested the resolutness of the oppositon leaders. For a good measure, woyanne put Hailu Shawel and Lidetu under house arrest. In the mean time, Berhanu Nega and Beyene Petros started negotiating with woyanne while Hailu Shawel and Lidetu are still under house arrest. Berhanu and Beyene are willing to betray their own leaders, let alone their rank and file members. There is no peace in Ethiopia right now. And the more weakness the oppositon shows, the bolder woyanne will get in intensifying its terrorism against our people.

Abe, tell us one thing that CUD has to do right now

Why don't we create a new leadership around Ledity and Hailu Shawel. Berhanu and Beyene will never stand for Ethiopia, they just want to please the West over Ethiopians.

Let's try not to give premature stuff. Let see what is going on some two days.

Email: girmalem05@yahoo.com

I always suspect Ethio Review run by extermists who are keen to see blood shade in the poor country of ours so long us it takes them to power. Have you people noticed the baseless news the Ethio Review is spreading? CUD = IHAPA + ISEPA + MAESON
They aleady introduced the Whie and Red terror to Ethiopia and now they come back with the new one Rose terror.

Email: jandeber@aol.com

City: Atlanta

13-M: Thanks for asking. My answer is to follow Nelsen Mandela's example. Refuse to negotiate with the oppressors until they meet certain demands. The CUD leaders must be willing to go to jail, like Mandela did. If Woyane put CUD leaders in jail, that will be the end of Woyanne, and it knows it. Meles is a snake. He knew who's who in the CUD. So what he did was to isolate the resolute leaders in CUD--Hailu and Lidetu--while holding negotiations with the weaklings like Berhanu Nega, and also UEDF's Beyene. These two individuals are not only weak, they don't even have character. They are traitors. They hold talks with woyanne while their comerades are under arrest. Ato Hailu must now assert leadership over CUD, otherwise he will be tainted with the actions (or inactions) of the Berhnu group in the CUD. As Hailu Shawel articulated in his recent radio interview: Release our people, stop killing our people, stop harassing and terrorizing our people, other wise we will consult with the people of Ethiopia and take the appropriate action.

It is very hard to comment on this matter right of the back. See, I like to say that CUD should show its determination and withdraw from the process until all prisoners are released. I really like to say that. But, guess what will happen? TPLF will continue killing CUD's members, imprison them and torture them.
At the same time, I like for CUD to stay in the process because that is the only way TPLF can be beaten. But, still TPLF will continue its killings and tortures as they have done it for some weeks now.

So, it is quite a dilemma. We are at the crossroads and any decision made by CUD will be liked by some and hated by others. I just hope they know the situation very well and they make decisions based on the interest of the Ethiopian people. We should really respect and give our utmost appreciation for members of the CUD as they are paying the price with their lives. The least we can do is give them our respect, they are on the battle field, they are on ground zero and getting tortured and dying in the process. So, please don't have the nerve to insult them in any way. Power to the People

Email: alem24@yahoo.com

City: Houston

I think it needs a very mature evaluation to comment on what a decision might be better. No one can say surly since we have still some way to go for the final conclusion.

One thing we need to understand is that The TPLF/EPRDF wants not to see or work together with any oppositions so that they shall sell the rest of Eth. or liguidate assets as much as possible. They are also interested to remove these Heros around CUD which I believe are just initiated for the sake of peoples' right while having more than enough for them (as opposed to what JIJY simplified and criticized such a special work they have been doing!). We should take care of the WEYANES at this time for their trial to disturb and divide Ethiopians because of this issue.

I can think that the CUD can bring the issue of what to do and how to go on to concerned and representative Mature Ethiopian analysts or scholars (forget the ruling party)when the final calculation is to be done. So there is time for all. May be good to go on some of the steps they are having!
Wishing a free Ethiopia and Ethiopians,

Email: quitlaugh@yahoo.com

City: US

I never trusted that guy, Berhanu Nega. What I don't understand is, why is he allowed to dominate the CUD? What authority does he have to override Hailu Shawel's decision? Can some body explain this to me please?

Most of the comments here can be sumed up in one of the following ways.

1. The people in the diaspora are on the extreme side of the general ethiopian population

2. The fast food mentality that needs its sandwich in minutes think political solution can be prepared in one minute and wrapped with shining paper in the second minute and be ready for a pick up winndow immediately, befoe the sandwich is called and the bread is softened with the drippin muonnaise.

If what you advocate here was the right thing to do, CUD and EUDF should not have participated in the election. Of course there were many amongst the diaspora community that never supported the participation of CUD and EUDF in the election. It is their wise, matured and measured decision.

Mamo Qilo

Mamo Quilo,

Your name says it all!

I don't want to judge anybody here but I think the Ethiopian people need an explanation!

Email: melkamu_aklile@yahoo.com

City: Washington DC

This is a very touchy issue. We do not realy know what is going on to say this or that. We better watch the situation carefully before being emotional and disappoint the leaders. Very divisive opinion which praises Ato Lidetu and condemn others is not from the opposition supporter; may be the Woyane itself. Guys, you're responsible to answer to your own concious what you've said and will say.

Thanks.

Email: millab_@hotmail.com

City: canada

Mamo Qilo, Even thoug I do not agree with your two points (1 & 2), I totally agree with your last point. It is CUD & UEDF that gave us this great hope of truth despite some inult and critisms from the Diaspora. If it were for some extremists, WOYANE would not have been exposed its true face as killing machine!

Let's give them [CUD/UEDF] time and stop cryin' foul. They have a big mission to accomplish- i.e. the people's vote respected by EPRDF. There is no cut-and-run!!

I am confused. Who is making such decisions? We all know the chairman and other prominent figures are not in favor of this. That means their next step is to file complaints after complains to the cangaroo court and so forth. Are they trying to proof Law 101 on the fate fate of ethiopian people?If they are afraid of making the right decision at the right time, they better give up.

getahun

Email: getahun35@yahoo.com

City: College Park

CUD has already exhusted all it's energy pre maturly, it is now become a lame duck that can be twisted easily. The oust of the extremist Lidetu Aylew says it all.

Email: jandeber@aol.com

City: Atlanta

Kebede Ali,
In the eyes of the overwhelming majority of Ehtioipians today,

EPRP is better than TPLF
MEISON and WPE are better than MLLT
CUD and UEDF are defnitely much better than EPRDF

Good Job, CUD leaders. Never leave any cracks to this thugs!

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

Bravo Hailu Shawel We should to follow the decision of true Ethiopian and determend leader like Hailu Shawel.

He knows the situation better than you people in disapora.

We pray for him.

ENSHALAH.

Email: aden1@yahoo.com

City: Jigjiga

I HAVE A SOLUTION

I HAVE A SOLUTION

CUD is being undermined by Berhanu Nega and his group. Here is a solution: Do not support CUD anymore. Instead, support only AEUO, UEDP-Medhin and ONC. These are the three parties that are genuinly struggling for a democratic change. Sooner or later, Ato Hailu will have had it with the Berhanu faction in CUD and may be forced to dissolve the coalition as it exists. Let's prepare these three parties for that eventuality. Let's also encourage the merger of AEUO and UEDF-Medhin. Let's not allow Berhanu Nega to sabotage the people's movement for democracy in Ethiopia. God bless Hailu Shawel and Lidetu Ayalew. To hell with Berhanu Negga!

Oh ma goodness!! What are most of you people saying?! Haven't you been following the current situation? Haven't you seen that EPRDF is not a civilized party with whom you can reason and win peacefully? Haven't you conclude that they are not there for Ethiopia, but for their unknown sinister plan, and to get to that goal they will kill anyone and would do anything? Haven't you seen that there is no force that will rescue the opposition leaders? What the heck do you think will happen to EPRDF if they arrest or even murder all opposition leaders?! The worst it could get for them is for the international community to cut aid, hurting poor innocent Ethiopians and thats all! Finally, they will remain on power as dictators! EPRDF doesn't give a darn about Ethiopia's democratization or betternment and we have seen that through the current crisis! And do you think they would give a rat's azz if opposition withdraws? No! They will be happy and ride on! Plus, it will give a bad impression to the international community regarding opposition! Too bad their members are in prison, too bad some of their leaders are under house arrest, but its a part of the price paid to bring about change in such undemocratic country! Whether they withdraw or not, EPRDF is not gonna stop arresting their members because its a dictator in nature! As a matter of fact, they will use it as instigation and they will justify not just arresting but may be even shooting of people again! Can't you learn from the past? It has been seen over and over that EPRDF is not the kind of party that will buy boycotts, protests, etc, because they got no interest of the country at heart, they will go about leading the country with or without opposition. How can u suggest that opposition should withdraw? You people are funny! How are they gonna go forward with their struggles then? Do you have some kinda hunger for bloodshed? Opposition got no gun! The people got no gun! Oh, you just sit here on your azzez in a comfortable western apartment and exclaim, "the people of Ethiopia shall struggle!" How the hell are they going to struggle if they boycott their only means of struggle at hand, which is the peaceful struggle! It is bare handed humans against blood thirsty monsters for the Lord's sake! You can't be all Hailu Shawul with no gun to protect yourself and go engage in a fight with a Monster. With all due respect, that same jegna Hailu Shawul was under a house arrest, helpless, just a couple of weeks ago! Then, is that how he wants to go forward with his struggle?! The next time, his arrest is going to be in the 'weyni bet'! What in the world are the Ethiopian people going to get out of that?! It would do the people good if they enter parliament and start eating EPRDF from inside out, not only winning, but erasing its name from the history of the land!

Here is my view. So far no one has given a solution by the way of what the opposition must do instead of dealing with vote counting. The vote counting phase needs to run its course. But, the opposition is losing initiative by putting all of its eggs in one basket. While the leaders of CUD/Hibiret are playing the tactical game on vote counting, the popular democratic movement/the civic movement must raise the core issue of a New Free and Fair Election - the guiding mantra of the upcoming democratic revolution, by whatever name it is known. The establishment of a new political system - a democratic system is the demand of the people. The leaders of the opposition know, I am sure, the current path of vote counting will not get us there. Hence: we ought to ask the opposition parties to continue to unify, we must build a powerful and coordinated civic movement, and we must continue to protest each and every day. YICHALAL!!

In the last few weeks I have found Dr. Behanu Nega and the other two UEDF leaders too soft and I have a great fear that they will easly crackdown. At this time strong leaders like Ato Hailu and Ato Lidetu are very important

Email: abegaze@yahoo.com

Let me make myself more clear. Suppose the opposition parties accept a minority seat and join the government of Meles. Should the people and their civic organizations stop their democratic struggle? Should they continue to organize and push for a democratic election so as to bring about a democratic system as outlined in the CUD Election Manifesto? YICHALAL!

I think we should not rush to criticism, we should instead let the opposition leaders exercise their thoughts. They are the ones on the ground and know, hopefully, what they are doing. These are well experienced and tested people and, I believe, they see things from various angles before they make any dicision. Here we get only pieces of information that we clumsily knitt together and make big stories out of it. As foot soldiers most of us hardly see the whole picture. It doesn't mean however that our voices are in vain. Out there they watch every move we make while they manoeuvre their strategies. We should let them lead the crowd even if they make mistakes in the process. There is nothing cut out of stone.

Let us keep working together.

Email: bdemissachew@juno.com

Let's all wise up here and don't jump to conclusions.
This election is not about what this or that leader
or opposition party wants, IT IS ABOUT WHAT THE PEOPLE
WANT. No one can over ride the Ethiopian people, not this time around. It is the dawn of a new Ethiopia we are witnessing. Please, let's not get personal. We should be respectful of other people's feelings. Let's do our part, relentlessly raising funds, pressuring our elected officials in our adopted homelands to support our cause. God help us all.

Email: lltmesfin@yahoo.com

City: Portland

You nailed it, you just hit it right on the button Lulit.

Email: bdemissachew@juno.com

I think those who are insulting Berhanu Nega are those hidden Woyane agents trying to divide the leaders and destroy the opposition. Read between the lines and grasp the motive driving these insult. Exercise wisdom. YICHALAL!

I am afraid that some of the views being thrown in are dishearting. The leaders of CUD have all the reasins to come up with the decisions they had. It is wise and prudent to patiently watch the way things go. Don't forget that the decision made is an outcome of many far sighted inteluctuals. Let us not rush to throw unthoughtful ideas. This is what EPRDF wants to see us behaving. Have patience to wait and see.

Email: Ageyuks@yahoo.com

City: TX

I may sound paranoid, but it would be foolish not to think the way I do. For all what we know about woyane, their major characteristic feature is that they don't leave any thing for chance. I have therefore no illusion that they won't try to infiltrate populalr public forums like this one. If we agree on this, the next question should be, would they come and oppose every thing that we have to say? No, they needn't b/s in that instance every body would shun them. Then, the best would be to appear just like any one of us and inject their poison. Their current focus apparently is trying to create a wedge b/n the two parties.
So, fellows beware of those who
Attack individuals among the leadership of the opposition,
attack active contributors in this forum
magnify differences among opposition.
Sound frustrated and defeated
Capitalize on mundane issues instead of the bigger cause
Present bizzare issues
some times but not always inject some ethnic labelings
forward bizzare recommendations
you can add more to the list
As far as I am concerned the strategy should be to exploit anything and everything!

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

Boycott woyanes political game unless they stop harrassing and killing our people. we need to tell to the world that we are having the worst dictator in the world, so the world need to tell this little dicator he better respect the ethiopian people or they stop funding him. period.
Death to meles/Woyanewoch&co.

Bring Leditu back as a spokesperson, we need him back now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are nothing without him!

I think the CUD leadership is taking a wrong move to go a head with the election board by compromising the previous decision and demands which was unless the ruling party release all of their CUD members they will not go with the investigative process.but as far as detainees go they are still in concentration camps all over the country they are adding more and more every day the torture,intimidation the accusation etc...still going on what i dont understand is what makes the CUD leaders to change their mind and go with EPDRF's proposal i think it is compromising their leadership, intergretee, devotion, secrifice, and poltical skills.i think it is trading, betraying, exposing, and misleading the people of ethiopia.what good will happen without your members released?to me the CUD leadership trust the election board more than his member. to me CUD does not have any principle diffrencess with EPDRF beside the power and the benefit comes with it not the interest of ethiopian people.to me the CUD leadership is not strong enough to do what they preach.my advice to CUD is make a deal with the ruling party wisly in a civilized manor and lead the country.please do not used the innocent people for the sake of your power hunger.remember CUD leaders for the death of 39 people it is not only EPDRF taking the the blame and the responsiblity you are too because you are failing to deliver what you are preaching,you are melting like butter when the heat is on.

Email: BELECHO@HOTMAIL.COM

City: ATLANTA

Let me give unsolicited advice as your country man from the other side of the political arena. As a good sportsman would worry about his rival’s stamina and drive, mind you as good sportsman, I respect Dr Berhanu Nega’s party. Of course, this is from a supporter of EPRDF. Do you want a viable opposition that you can claim yours and fill proud of it?
Go with Kestedemena. Get rid the Dergist then you may have a chance to run the country in 2010-2015.

In the mean time, do not worry, about EPRDF and its supporters, they are also the beloved children of this nation,. I know many of you for some reason I do not get, you tend to claim the country only yours. In my opinion, we are lucky the we are Oromos, Amahars, Somalias, The Afars , Tigreans, Benshangul, Walitas….etc. and yet we call ourselves Ethiopians. We don not have to be one Ethnicity in order to call ourselves Ethiopians. Because we’re not, and yet knowing that we are not, we survived for the last 14 years without a power (emperor, derg) that kills and terrorizes for so called unity. Isn’t that a miracle! In my opinion this makes this nation great. Our unity was tested and proved resilient; we can live in one nation without force that is supposed to hold us together. We don’t need that killing machine now- from ex derg officials and murderers. We know that force lies in equality and total freedom as enshrined in our constitution Article 39.

Don’t be emotional, you know deep in your heart the nation is heading in the right direction. And you know it too that you can not wait for this fiasco to end and to go back to whatever you were doing or planning to do for this nation. Show maturity and insight and do not be fooled by ditractors. You live here in US you have seen it all. You know change and democracy do not come overnight. You now how things work. You know how vision and sacrifies, for sake the next generation works. Be patient. Don’t be fooled by extreme radicals that almost have started to do the thinking for you, like BIG BROTHER.

I belive the CUD should not negotiate with so called EPRDF unless all poletical prisners are freed and all contusted areas where fraud accured and investigated fully and the NBE becomes neutral ground.The fire has started no turning back one way the other.

Email: DillingerJ1@aol.com

Konjit,

We are too smart to fall for your 101 psychology. Your Nega is working for Meles, who is his tennis partner. Go and ask Nega if that is true. Nega has being playing tennis with Meles Zenawi, would you hurt your tennis partner? I don't think so. We want Leditu back if CUD is to have any political credibility.

Let's suspend our judgement.

Normally it is neither ethical nor practical to negotiate with the unpopular and cruel regime. It is difficult to imagine CUD negotiating with TPLF and arriving at a solution acceptable to both. The two do not share common vision for Ethiopia. But what is the alternative left for the opposition?

As we all know the "civilized world" is supporting Meles and putting undue pressure on the victims - the opposition leaders - to work with their jailer and killer. Given the atrocities and gross violation of the rights of citizens happening in Ethiopia under the orders of PM Meles, there is no way that he would have been invited to the World Summit if he was not a favoured man by the West.

So if there is any group to blame for forcing Ethiopians to accept the unacceptable, it is the foreign powers that continue to give PM Meles the moral, financial and military support which has embolden him to continue in his destructive path.

Thus, a compromise may not be avoidable. But I hope that at the end the CUD leadership will not enter into a compromise that will betray the trust the Ethiopian people at large and activists killed and in jail have put in CUD.

Email: Andinet_belete@hotmail.com

City: Adu Genet

Ethiopian People , Please understand one thing. every Critism or evednce against any oppsition party or memeber is always from EPRDF Cadres. be it in free press or websites or Radios. Please nevery bring to your mind such information and never give Response to these. the only yhing required is be together and strugle, pray help for for the people in any means. We should expect more brutal(Assekakye,Gef,Skoka) from EPRDF to Me

1. EPRDF is FAscism
2. EPRDF is Military governement
3. EPRDF is Enterhamoye
4. EPRDF is Esayas Afewerki
5. EPRDF is Wilde

Email: agegnehub@yahoo.com

City: A.A

I fully agree with the CUD. They took the right decision with matured thinking. You we will get nothing by creating tension & unnecessary bloodshade. Dialogue & compromise is the only solution for a country like Ethiopia.Go ahead CUD with more flexability, compromise & dialogue.

City: addis

I think we should all wait the outcome of election
No jestification for any violent activity before the result.Both EPRDF and opposition parties should act in
a civilized manner for the welbeing of Ethiopian people.The death of single Ethiopian is not acceptable.

Dont try to divide Lidetu and Birhanu. They cant have the same ideas all the time. They are not like other EPRDF leader who always believe and do what Meles says.
Difference of opinions should be entertained in any party.

Email: neb_lect@yahoo.com

politics is a game one has to play systematically and with maturity. It is no a right time to comment on the decision of CUD. Time will tell us what their decision was all about. Please dont defame some of the beloved children of Ethiopia like berehanu Nega.I respect all the opposition leaders as all sacrifices for the bright future for our children. Divide and conquer is not a style that work for opposition leaders. Minor differences, if there is, will be settled soon.

Geli

Email: fgaenwb@ethionet.et

City: aa

dear readers of the Ethiopian review
please condem the current cud action that deals with woyane!!!!!

Email: tsegai@yahoo.com

City: merhabete

Dear friends,

The Current Ethiopian opposition leaders have achieved what we wittnessed in the last month - a great achievement. I agree The Ethiopian people need to make sure that we are the means of power and the the ownership of power is the people and does not belong to individuals nor can be allocated with force or any other means.
The oppositions are struggling on this line and they need the full support of the people of Ethioia and friends of the people. Critisizing the opposition on some disession with out having the whole picture in mind and with out the cirumstances the dicession were made may lead to the wrong conclusion. Those of you who are in this line of thinking should not give way to those who are determined to support the current regime regardless of the repressive actions they we have witnessed again and again.
Specially , Those of us who live abroad can speak and espress our feeling to help the contry the people. Those brothers in Ethiopia are in a state of fear and can not speak out and those who decide3d to do are in Prison or they will be as soon as the Gov. Machinary reaches them where ever they may live in the contry. Please understand this issue and act wisely. No going back to dictatorship any more - The Ethiopian people have told the world very clearly.

An Etiopian From London.

Email: Semachewa@yahoo.co.uk

City: London

It is good every one whispers his feeling about a certain issue freely. I too heard Engineer Gizachew's justification for avoiding the boycot. At the time I almost accepted his justification. They ared planning to show the world, on its way, that its members and supporters are all in jail.

But guys, I am so sorry for one thing. In Ethiopia, there is hardly any internet.The people concerned dont use this wonderful technology. Telecommuniucations are by law Woyane monopolized. No free communication in Ethiopia.A few individuals who tried to fill the gap in the country were jailed right away a few years ago. Woyane domination strategy is by impoverishing the people, increasing the rate of illiteracy, and using disinformation.

I am so sorry for it. The one internet available is **** expensive; let alone poor people like Ethiopians, rich tourists even complain about the tarrif when they use the sluggish so-called internet.

Woyanes say, this is so because Ethiopia is poor. Who persuaded them to do it themselves? A private company would do it by itself, just give it a license only, the money is there; but they dont want that happen.

Radio, television, internet and or telecommunication services all for Woyane. How can the people get fair and independent information? Unless we route the Woyanes out of this mess, Ethiopia will nothing. Ethiopians are not interested to work under Woyane dictatorship. Ethiopia will remain poor until Woyanes go home.

In other east African countries all these are private.

Opposition governments will, I am sure, allow all these devilish policies.

Anyway, those who managed to communicate using this internet are the luckiest (1 in hundreds of thousands) of Ethiopians. Don't you think so?

Email: abathun@yahoo.com

City: BD

I strongly support CUD.move.Lidetu lacks maturity and pragamtism.B/C CUD is strong he is replaced by the brave Dr, Hailu who insulted Mengistu face to face.It is proper to try things first peacefully with the international acceptance ways and then to go to legitimate opposition & disobedience .
V V V to CUD!

Email: gmtheophilos@yahoo.com

Dear Ethiopian;
Cud does no represent all Ethiopian and they are no true opposition party except a bunch of former Derg murder and a few misled who were the mastermind of one and only ethnic goup hegemony. They are confused with the false history of 3000 years and forget that Somali, Oromos, Afar and Gambelas are incorporated in the last hundred years. These incorporated people history, culture, language and rights are denied and they were told to metamorphosed the image of ruling party that married to Ethiopia drought, poverty, famine and underdevelopmment. That is why, they are working hard to go back to power. In addition, they do not have a single soultion to remedy what they are claiming to be problems.
Thanks Sebhat and Simone who do not welcome them to the palace of power seat and reject them as lunatic who do not know what they are doing. For example, they do not have a single Somali in their organization and to add insult to injury they are blaming Somali to be ethnicist. They are very good to blame their mistakes on other since they do not have time to see their nature.
Moreover, it is very important to note that the only legitimate and sincere leader at this moment is Beyene Petros and to certain extent Merrara who is sometimes hunted by the distorted and twisted history of the villain Haile.
Lastly, the reason of resignation of Ledetu and splinter making within the CUD is that they do not a solid principle beside destroying what Ethiopian have built by their hand.
The strategy and tactic of praxis war agaisnt Ethiopian regime by Diaspora is glaring example.
We all know when the dust settles and the innocent and poor Ethiopian lood who were killed because of theri motif they will maraton to get the power seat.

Email: shirdons@yahoo.com

City: Washington DC

Ibrahim Shirdon,

We are not here to give you formal history lesson. You are obvioulsy full of hate and ignorance, deadly combination.

This forum is a wrong place for your likes.

The quality of CUD is the different characters of its leaders, we need to have people like Dr. Birhanu and Lidetu both in one group that is the secret of CUD's success. They did a great job thus far, let's respect their decisions. As a human being we all have our own strength and weaknesses. Please!!!!!!!!!! don't use trash words for the sake of Ethiopians who are living in Addis, as we are in bad situation right now.

Cheers!

When asked by "The reporter" why he thinks EPRDF is in a better postion to win than The oppostion, the World bank representative to Ethiopia was too diplomatic and carefully guarded not to say "It is their economy policy that enabled them for debt relief."

Yaa, right. Continue to fight peacefully untill all started processes are going to be ended. THE END OF THE FIRST WILL BE THE BEGINNING OF THE NEXT. The one who hasn't finish elementary will not start secondary school. It is a process of time, failure and success.

Sis.

Email: mtadesse2003@yahoo.com

City: Paris

The difference between Berhanu Negga and Lidetu Ayalew is that Berhanu appeals to the donnor countries, while Lidetu appeals to the people of Ethiopia. Berhanu doesn't respect his own members, he doesn't have any loyalty to them, and he has contempt for the people of Ethiopia who voted for CUD. That's why he is dealing with Woyanne while his colleagues are still in prison and being tortured. Ultimately, it's the people of Ethiopia who will liberate themselves. Ethiopia doesn't need donners. What Ethiopia needs is freedom. The donnors will not bring freedom and democracy to Ethiopia. They will only prolong the suffering of our people with their crumbs and empty talk of democracy. Their own countries didn't have donners who brought democracy to them. They fought and died for it. It will be the same in Ethiopia. There will be freedom in Ethiopia, unfortunately, with the sacrifice of many more thousands, heroes like Lidetu. Let's not delude ourselves that EU and US will bring democracy. If you think Meles will hand over power after election loss, you are fooling yourself and you are also trying to fool the people of Ethiopia. It's not only me who is saying this. Ambassadors of the donnor counties, who know what kind of person Meles is, have also said this repeatedly off the record. They don't believe Meles will give up power even if he allows reelections and loses. He will declare a permanent state of emergency and ban parliament from convening. Then he will hunt down all oppositon leaders and members one by one, except of course Dr Berhanu and Dr Beyene. He will not touch them because they are no threat to him. Mark my word. This is what he will do. What Berhanu is doing is demoralizing the people, weakening their fighting spirit. He is giving them false hope that America and Europe will remove Meles. This is a cruel lie perpetrated on the people of Ethiopia by Berhanu and the likes. While Berhanu runs from one embassy to another, Meles is hunting down and killing by bullet, by disease, and by torture thousands of CUD activists. Those who didn't die will be permanently disabled mentally or physically. One month in Ziway prison will permanently disable any healthy person. To leave these heroic Ethiopians in the the Ziway and other torture camps and conduct election talks woyanne is a betrayal. The suffering of his CUD colleagues bothered Lidetu's conscience. That's why he had to step aside from the cruel game the donnor countries and their puppet Meles are playing on the people of Ethiopia. If America and Europe want Meles out, he is out. They are giving him hundreds of millions of dollars every year to keep him power. All the killing machines the Agazi army is armed with are bought with the money given to Meles by their donnor countries. They want to make sure that before they dump Meles they will find another puppet. Berhanu is trying to prove to them he will be a better puppet that Meles. They are not convinced yet, because he doesn't have his own political base, unlike Meles. His political base is a groups of few elitists in Addis Ababa and Washington DC who have no respect for the people of Ethiopia.

Dear yagere lijoch,

I was also angry by the CUD decision the moment I read about it. But I cooled down thinking that rushing to a decision won't bring us any good. Let's wait and see what will be the outcome. This way or the other EPRDF is ready to kill each of us, in order to grab the power. If you look at it clearly, it's only one week and that won't bring any change to those who are suffering or will suffer, because EPRDF is still the one with the gun. You know, sometimes it's easy to judge people being in the external. We don't know what's going on. Let's say that Berhanu and Mesfin are weak in this issue; What about Hailu Shawul???????? He is known for his rigid decision. Why this time he changed his mind? We have to see their decision from different directions.

Regarding Lidetu, he is a very good politician, but he has his own shortcomings too. What do you know about Lidetu, except that he disagreed to support the peace agreement with EPRDF and he is a good orator? He also once was EPRDF member as the others were condemened being DERG. Besides, not having wealth like the others doesn't make him more qualified than the others. There are so many rich people who feel the pain of the poor. Why are we being critical about Dr. Berhanu's or Eng. Hailu's wealth? Are we excercising here jealousy towards rich people? Making the current decision won't make them by any means against their fellow party member. People in the same party might have different opinions, that's why the terms "vote", "majority", "minority", "counting", etc exist.

I know that we all are angry, but anger by itself is a distruction, so let's be angry, but WISE. Let's give them a chance and respect their current decision. In the meantime, let's continue doing our part and stop giving a way to be divided. This is exactly what EPRDF wants. To break our bond and weaken us. So guys,let's not paly its game. There is always time for forceful fight. It's only one week; if you remember we have already waited 7.5 weeks.

Wishing you all the best.

Ibrahim, would you mind finding another hobby? This forum discusses much more serious issues than fixing your cracked mind. Cheers

What a curse to read both cheap divisive politics and ignorance of what the nation called Ethiopia is going through?
Those who try to divide the public, let them rest assured that they will not succeed. Let them know that only fool politician will be traped with their cheap assertion.
Those who have not yet understood the whole thing around the country, please step back and pause for a moment. Our country is not free from the influence of kingmakers of this world.
The opposition have to agree to deal with the premitive woyanie election board because these underhand forces wanted to.
If you are trying to help the opposition, please go out and denounce the so called doners who are stifling the oppositions to give Woyanie a breathing space.

Durasenbet---From Warka Forum.