Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reporter-angry for EPRDF's defeat, Sad for Opposition's win

REPORTER had increasingly became impartial more so after the split within the TPLF and with growing disconnect of Meles with Ethiopia and Ethiopians. Besides, Reporter has shown anger with the saddening corrupt nature of Meles and his EPRDF thugs.

However, I was amazed by Reporter's hatred and unsustainable categorization of Ethiopians in the Diaspora as . He left the other half as those who keep silent and do what they are told - Invest and Do not Question.

Amare Aregawi (Reporter) is trying to undermine the growing public opinion shaped and influenced by our compatriots in the Diaspora. They are the ones who are expressing our anger and dissatisfaction when we die with ours here in Ethiopia with bullets authorized by Meles Zenawi's State of Emergency. Expression of peoples' view is silenced here in our country and Reporter should have been more understanding and forthright about the specifics of the opinion of other. We could qualitatively agree that people could not be poor of ideas. However, we all know that EPRDF/Meles is rich with money but is very poor with respecting others' rights and destitute of principles.

Besides, Amare failed to denounce EPRDF's racist policies only identifying the symptoms and generalizing Ethiopians in two broad untenable categories. Although Reporter tried to undermine the influence of the Ethiopians, he had not brought any single case other than quoting the word of one distressed Ethiopian who spoke about the fear of her family members even to go out to buy food when Meles turned AA into a war zone.

So though I agree that name-calling and racial politics should be abolished with the dissolution of EPRDF - TPLF, OPDO... to start with, it would be imbecile for the Reporter to treat the symptom than facing the danger that is brought by the Meles dictatorship. As an editor of a prominent newspaper, I would not have categorically denounced a certain group of people for what they believe and express.

It is a flawed argument and Reporter should think better than calling names. They should know that EPRDF failed and is failing for treating people in categories and Reporter should not repeat EPRDF's deadly mistake.

www.ethiopianreporter.com/displayamharic.php?id=4122

City: Addis Ababa

Re: Reporter-angry for EPRDF's defeat, Sad for Opposition's win

Don't you know that we Ethiopians in diaspora know that REPORTER is a woyane's news paper? or belongs to Woyane /EPRDF?
We already know.
Please boycotte REPORETR if you love Ethiopia?
Regards
City bird

City Bird,

I believe Reporter presents a Balanced news with Intigrity. What else do we have to Boycott next. Pepsi, Reporter,....

I think it is important to take this matter seriously for "reporter" has been considered as one of the credible papers which has fairly wide and diverse readers in Ethiopia. The opposition also has been using it as one of their out let to reach the people.

I was one of a staunch admirers of this paper for many years. I have been arguing with many of my good friends defending this paper. Unfortunaltely, his recent articles ever since the power of TPLF is threatned has given me rason to question its impartiality. Those of you who have been following through the internet must have noticed the blank pages at the peak of all the most important developments in Ethiopia. Again, I have read what he wrote about the massive and angry demonstrations all over the world. He has put it as if the DC demonstartions are being staged and run by a single millionaire by the name "Bekele". I have also noticed calculated notes to create a wedge between the two parties and remarks which are simillar to that of the 'international community" who demand "both sides to refrain from violence". He has in fact in several occassions indicated what Meles and Bereket are propagating: the opposition targeting a certain ethnic group. It should tell something when the major title after all that killing reads as "CUD said it is not behind the recent violence", what it should have done was to do investigative journalism and present the facts for people to judge. I have seen clear evidence now to show that "Reporter" isn't after all an impartial paper. What I see now is excatly the sudden turn reporter made in its style of reporting when the war between Ethiopia and Eritrea broke out. He then defended his actions by stating that it was in the interest of the nation not to talk about "the truth, the whole truth nothing but the truth". May be he is now defending the interest of an organization he feels he is indebted to. He had been diligently trying to help them by showing rational directions which they never seem to recognize. Now he sees it is not enough to show, but save them from the crash. May be it is an issue of "Zer kelguam...." I don't know. I do also recognize that he is the one among the private media who has been enjoying the best of what the governement can offer. He was previledged to rent a big governement owned house for his enterprise which is unattainable to any but.... There sure is personal interest as well. A private paper Over ten years old with out a single incident of harrassment by the current government in Ethiopia should either make us believe that it is the only law abiding paper in a trully democratic government or .....

Readers and Opposition needs to take this in to consideration in dealing with this paper.

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

Dear Ewnet zelalem,
You forgot Sheraton Addis, Wegagene bank, nebe(bee) bank, all the TPLF's or EPRDF's owened campanies. Plus Mr Moudi himself. Please I beg you to boycotte please???
Regards
City bird

Jadu,
Now you have come to your senses.
Reporter has always been the semi-offical mouthpiece of the SHABIA and WOYANE since its inception .
Reporter assumed a kind of "respectable" position only after the war with Eritrea, with slight critics on the Woyanne and by producing government leaks. This was considered by many as a change of heart, which it was not. I was following its development throughout. Reporter is now against the opposition in the guise of promoting a "third" way.
It now became unbearble for them, so much so that they came out in the open to attack the freedom of expression of peolple in the diaspora.

let me try a few things about Reporter and Woyane

-For peace and development to prevail in Ethiopia, it should not be "Us" against "them" like being advocated by Reporter and Woyanne; rather it should be "right" against "Wrong" , "Truth" against "Lies", "Love" againt "Hate".

Unlike Woyanne and the Reporter, " Ethnicity is a cultural pheneomenon and should not be the basis for political institutions". Ethnicity is the dangerous pegion hole that suffocatingly traps positive human thinking and emotions from everyone. It rather enhances baser instincts in humans, especially arrogance-(which usually stems from an injured mind). It is simply an ugly state of mind.

Most reasonable men and women will be divorced from logic, fairness, love, tolerance, hope, endurance, and friendship once they fall victim to ethnicity.

As an Amhara, I would be vehemently and passionately against the CUD if it resorts to this most destructive domain of social thought. I will fight them to the end. I think most Ethiopians will agree.