Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Should Anna Gomez & American "experts" decide for Ethiopian?

The following article raises some critical questions for Ethiopia and Ethiopians all over the word. Given, Anna Gomez’s position strictly as an EU election observer, (i) should A. Gomez influence the course of Ethiopias political future (ii) given the fiasco of the US foreign policy in Iraq and Afghanistan, should the so called “American” experts decide what is in the best for Ethiopia?

What credentials do the so called western "western diplomats” and “western experts” have about the world, Africa, and particularly about Ethiopia?

Do any of them intimately understand Ethiopia's social and diverse national idiosyncrasies?

Please ponder on those two questions, after you have read the attached article from:

(Indian Ocean Newsletter) N? 1140 25/06/2005

Western diplomats have begun to work on devising a formula for government that in their view will enable Ethiopia to come out of the crisis following the general elections in May. Certain American experts favour a coalition government between the EPRDF (governing) and the opposition, sharing in a proportion to be discussed at a future conference of all the parties which could include the forces of the illegal opposition such as the Oromo Liberation Front (OLF) or the Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Party (EPRP).

The leader of the delegation of election observers from the European Union (EU), Ana Gomes reported to Brussels that the Prime Minister Meles Zenawi was a moderate in the government camp in this debate and that he did not exclude the formation of a coalition government to come out of the crisis. Such a solution would also be favoured by Ana Gomes.

Re: Should Anna Gomez & American "experts" decide for Ethiopian?

Beheg Amlak,

This is a good point you have raised. Meles seems to be cornered, but he also understands the mentality of the West, particulalry the Americans. Remember he has American PR firms advising him on what to say and what not to say. The opposition should take a firm position and make sure that they appear more moderate than Meles.
You have to beat him in this game.

Mamo Qilo

Email: mamoqilo@yahoo.com

Mamo Qilo,

It always surprises me how much time you invest to simply support your own ideas rather than try to digest the question at hand. I wonder if this is about being a propagandist from your side? Here you are again diverting the real question about the credibility of western experts in the internal affairs of our community.

Seeing it through historical facts and my own experiences, I must agree with Beheg-Amlack in not trusting the west for any meaningful or fruitful deeds. In the earlier cold war era, many nations benefited by interacting with one of the opposing ideologies in order to advance in their own progress. Being at the right era, the current regime in our motherland did also benefited from the west’s power as the opposing ideology of communism collapsed.

Today, however, there is only one dominating ideology of the west and this, as a consequence, brought massive confusion as to the real issue of nation forming. As you are aware, the ideology of the west is to a large extent based on the interest of capital resources. To a degree there is an immediate material interest, the influence of the west would work in order to bring stability to that part of society. If that is not the case, the western ideology will contribute to the corruption of a society because they can at least benefit from the massive human resources that will pour to their society. Remember that most of the western society is aging and there is a massive decline in birth rate!

Coincidently, I was just reading an article from International Herald Tribune and I quote the article in saying, “more Ethiopian-trained physicians in Chicago than in all of Ethiopia.” Yes, this is a typical benefit the west would gain by manipulating poor societies such as Ethiopia.

You may read the article here if you wish so: http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/06/24/news/edafrica.php

Human

Human,

You strike me as a briliant mind, well read and yet suffering from political Schizophrenia.

You wrote: "Today, however, there is only one dominating ideology of the west and this, as a consequence, brought massive confusion as to the real issue of nation forming. As you are aware, the ideology of the west is to a large extent based on the interest of capital resources. To a degree there is an immediate material interest, the influence of the west would work in order to bring stability to that part of society. If that is not the case, the western ideology will contribute to the corruption of a society because they can at least benefit from the massive human resources that will pour to their society. Remember that most of the western society is aging and there is a massive decline in birth rate!"

If I was an American president in search of educted manpower, I would go to what is formerly known as USSR republics. PHd holders come with a dozen a dime. Or I can simply increase the DV lottery ask the people to fill out their educational and professional backgrounds and pick only those who are educated. As you can see the majority of DV winners hardly pass this profile.

Sorry if CUD and EUDF disappointed you by going to Brussels. If you have your way, you would have liked them to go to Kulubi or Debrelibanos.

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Geberdin aka
Cyber Bully

Should Anna Gomez & American "experts" decide for Ethiopian?

Folks:

Here is a note from the Editor regarding the report I cut and pasted above.

Despite the veracity of the article, even if it was a scheme or better yet a political weather balloon launched by EPRDF/TPLF handlers as an option of last resort, It still raises the question of realism and practicality, given the unavoidable machiavellian maneuver and power struggle that will result, unfortunately at great neglect of the supreme needs of the Ethiopian people

Editor's note - The following ION report should be read with caution as no Ethiopian opposition has officially declared that it is ready to compromise on the votes of the Ethiopian people. Neither Ana Gomes has been heard of feting Meles as moderate in the government. Contrary to what ION reports, Ana's public statement was to the tune of warning Meles Zenawi of the danger of trying to reverse the verdict of the people by illegal means. More or less, the timing and message of this report suits the Meles-Bereket strategy to create cracks within the ranks of the opposition. Decidedly rejected by the Ethiopian people, in fact the originator of the following report may be none other than the flailing ruling party itself.

By the way India Occean has access to the supporter of EPDRF so don't get stressed. As the struggle continued the group might create different possible way. So wait till we all conformed from the opposition. Thanks Ignore Quilo. I think he took EPDRF political course.

Martha:

I think Mamo is a fomidale devils advocate, despite his political conviction or religious affiliation. What would we do without a side-kick like Bulla-Geberdin

Ato. Mamo,

Yes, the former giant of USSR is also suffering from the same problem that we do. The capitalism sway in its internal politics has produced a massive brain drain. The element that is keeping it from total fiasco is the fact that its geo landscape has already been reshaped and also because it still maintains with weapons of massive destruction.

Your comment about an American president in search of educated manpower is a miscalculation. My calculation or investigation goes beyond a symbolic figure seating in a white house. It is possible to have an American president who actually disagree with many aspects of capitalism and try to pass bills in support of his believes. The president’s bill will go all the way through congressmen and perhaps he may achieve a symbolic act such as a criticizing letter, which in time goes to a historical archive. However, it is very hard for an individual to curb a system and ideology that is solidly built over a century. It takes more than the will of an individual to actually bring down a chaotic and destructive force that you, the reader, are actually the victim.

Well, I really don’t know what you meant by CUD and EUDF disappointing me. If they think that Brussels will get them to Addis Palace, I think that is where they should be. If in case it is Jim Carter that holds the key to heaven, I can provide them with his web site. No, my friend, this is only a game. I heard Mr. Carter declared the election to be perfect right on his arrival without even stepping out of the airport. What does this tell you? No, I actually would not want CUD or anyone to go to Kulubi or Debrelibanos, as you seem to suggest. That would be the end of democracy in Ethiopia.

Perhaps, the opposition group should be smarter in dealing with this regime. By showing a clear-cut hostility to your rival, you are actually strengthening his power. Don’t you think? However, a friendly opposition that actually submits to the will of the authority may eventually outsource its actual power or authority. Why not play hidden games before you hold the key to your constitutional rights? This is more a psychology gamble rather than lawful one. Perhaps, sleeping with an enemy is what they need to learn for that is part of the human game.

Human

Human:

Your statement is succinct and relative, and I trust it will enlighten Mamo's jumbled conjectures, assumptions, and speculations.

Keep going Mamo and never give up on yourself.

Human, Human, Human,

Your statement that the West's politcy is driven by its thirst for educated man power is ridiculus. This is what I said is political Schizophrenia. If this was the case, I would be a multi billionnare in one year. I would get them 10 million Indians, each with multiple degree in a NY second, for $1000 commission per head. I would be rich. You would work for me so you can earn a living and also see the legal transaction for your self.

Your statement that the US system is difficult to change, the president proposes a bill and then it goes to congress and then to

"If in case it is Jim Carter that holds the key to heaven, I can provide them with his web site. No, my friend, this is only a game. I heard Mr. Carter declared the election to be perfect right on his arrival without even stepping out of the airport. What does this tell you? No," This is what I mean by a brillian brain destroyed by miseducation. I really think you are a very smart person but have allowed yourself to be a victim of miseducation. Or may be you are a reformed communist swingning form one extreme to another.

You wrote: "Perhaps, the opposition group should be smarter in dealing with this regime. By showing a clear-cut hostility to your rival, you are actually strengthening his power."
Now you are talking some sense.

You continued: "Don’t you think? However, a friendly opposition that actually submits to the will of the authority may eventually outsource its actual power or authority."
Darn two strikes i a row. I am with you. That is why I said time and again that the opposition should stand firm.

You wrote: "Why not play hidden games before you hold the key to your constitutional rights? This is more a psychology gamble rather than lawful one. Perhaps, sleeping with an enemy is what they need to learn for that is part of the human game."

Now you are talking sense again. Youw would be a formidable thinker if you could see outside of conspiracy theory.

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Geberdin aka
Cyber Bully

Human