Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is "lion of Judah" affecting the image of opposition?

the story of lions protecting a small girl posted here lead me to a discussion by way of recommendation by one of the participants here who suggested "their reward to be put on the banner" as "lion of Judah".

The Ethiopian banner with the lion of Judah is smoething which realy disturbs me a lot. I get very much irritated to see people carrying this banner and talk about democracy and equality. No, that banner is a symbol of supression of inidvidual, group, religious and nationality rights. promoting what the flag stands for is no different than what the current OLF adn TPLFs do these days. For me they are nothing but a radicaly different versions of lion of Judah. They both count on their genetic make up. Very unfortuantely, the later in the 21st century. To my dismay however, I still see people carrying lion of Judah in every protest the oppostion has called in US, Canada and Europe etc. Check the photo galleries. May be people are refering to the lion of Judah and the sentiment associated with it when they talk about "neftegna" these days. One simple fact is that it at least repulses all muslim Ethiopians. Is it worth to continue to raise that flag high then? Can somebody tell them to stop this crap. I understand they don't represent the majority, yet a falg has much bigger symobol even if it is carried by one. Why do they bring it to the oppsoition rallies then? That is not what we missed, then why? You see, people have "objective reason" to tell that CUD is planning to take them to the old "nefxegna" era. mark the quotes.

I wish, they leave that banner to the regaes and releive us from giving cause to these hate mongers.

I would like to hear what others inthis forum say about this issue. Don't dismiss it as trivial. I assure you that there are thousands affected by it. These are apparently small but obvious issues which add up to magnify differences among groups or people. The only thing good about it is that it is confined to US and Europe regions. Hardly seen in Ethiopia.

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

Re: Is "lion of Judah" affecting the image of opposition?

Jadu,

The first time I saw that Flag on Demo. held at DC, I said to myself Here we go again. this flag reminds me the most hated Feudal system in Ethiopia.

Re: Is "lion of Judah" affecting the image of opposition?

I am rather surprised to see this level of animosity about Haile Selassie.

Having grown up in the U.S., I've only had positive images of him. When first learning that I am Ethiopian, many Americans, especially older ones, have said to me with a smile, "oh, Haile Selassie was from there." In my high school history class we read about his famous speech to the League of Nations and how he claimed to be a descendant of Solomon and Sheba. My teacher even commented that Haile Selassie was very well known and respected throughout the world and the first African emperor to stay at the white house.

As the only non-American kid in my history class, I felt a bit of envy when other kids recounted with pride how such-and-such relative fought in the Civil War and World War II. These other kids had a connection to history that I, however indirect, wanted as well.

So it is against this backdrop that I developed a certain pride about and fondness for Haile Selassie and the flag. To learn that others have a hatred for him and all that symbolizes him is, well, deflating. I'm not questioning your indignation, but given the image I had, the hostility is surprising.