Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Al Amoudi's Betrayal of Ethiopians

Sleeping with the Enemy

By Sereke Berhan

June 22, 2005
ethiopianreview.com

In this age of deception, intrigue and greed, politics, especially Ethiopia politics, really makes strange bedfellows. In a not so surprising but unexpected turn of events, Sheik Al Amoudi, who was held with high regard by many people in and outside the country, suddenly made a miscalculated move to openly support the party that has made the destruction of Ethiopia its main goal.

The Sheik’s assertion that it is his inalienable right to support any party he chooses is basically acceptable and it should be encouraged in a balanced democratic environment.

But the right to choose what he wants based on his self-interest cannot be equated with choosing what is right for the country. If he really thinks that he has allied himself with the party thinking that the current government is right for Ethiopia, he must be oblivious to the reality around him. On the other hand, if he thinks that the government is right for a few like him, and if that is really what matters the most to him, then he certainly has made the right decision.

In a letter he sent to his friends in the United States, he tried to defend his choice by claiming that he is participating in a democratic exercise. One truth that he and many others, especially foreigners, are missing is that this was not and is not a contest between different political parties with a shared aim of serving Ethiopia’s best interest. What we have is, on one hand the TPLF/EPRDF, which has openly subverted Ethiopia’s interest to realize its hidden agenda, and on the other, an opposition that is trying to deflect this subversion. It is not a contest between groups that present different ways of accomplishing a common goal, but a struggle between those who are destroying the country and those who are resisting this destruction.

It is common knowledge that there is a symbiotic relationship between the Sheik and the ruling party. His alliance with the government has been tolerated for years with the assumption that his heart is with the people. To openly flaunt this relationship in front of Ethiopians at this critical moment in the nation’s political struggle and to conspire with the people’s sworn enemies, as if their voices and desires don’t matter is a cardinal sin.

It doesn’t take much to figure out that Al Amoudi’s financial interest could be at stake if there is a change in government. He may even have been coerced into submitting to the wishes of the ruling party. Whatever the case may be, as a person of fortune and high standing who claims to have a vision of peace and prosperity for Ethiopia, he should have considered the country’s well being and the people’s welfare before making a decision that helps undermine the quest for true democracy. No matter how democratically justified his action is as presented by many of his obedient supporters, his alliance with uncaring rulers who are widely despised by the population has seriously damaged his reputation and credibility. His tremendous influence has been shrewdly manipulated to facilitate the imposition of yet another dictatorship on the Ethiopian people. Knowingly or naively, he has endorsed the ruling party’s negative actions and he has allowed himself to be used for the fulfillment of anti-Ethiopian goals. If nothing else, out of respect for the Ethiopian people and for the sake of truth and fair competition, he should have maintained a "neutral" stand. By carelessly exercising his democratic right to choose, he has emboldened the enemies of the people and he has clearly indicated to the Ethiopian people that his wants are much more important than their needs.

One public relations lesson the Sheik should learn is that however he wants to look at it, common people matter. He may never feel their pain, he may never be as hungry as they are, he may never experience their misery and he may never feel their sadness. There is not much that he can share with them except their hopes and dreams. Without having to go through their painful experiences he could have silently stood with them to share their vision. The one most important thing that the Ethiopian people want from him and others like him is to refrain from standing in the way of democracy by enabling a greedy regime continue destroying their lives.

There is no need to condemn or slander the Sheik for making this unpopular decision.

We should leave the judgment to history. What he is doing for the country and his contribution for economic development is sincerely appreciated. Ethiopians should still feel indebted to him and we should respect his position.

As enduring, patient, and forgiving as they are, Ethiopians never forget those who betray them in their time of desperation. Today and in the future his financial power will get him anything he wants. He will be feared and many people will still grovel for him. To his future regret, however, he has denied himself the opportunity to be admired and loved by the common people who will one day make their voices heard with or without his help. Then he will find it difficult to enjoy life alongside the people whose voices he deliberately tried to ignore by helping a government that tried to steal their freedom.

The letter sent out to friends may convince some, but I doubt if the Sheik is going to have many real Ethiopian friends left in the US or any place else unless he changes his position. Those who are after his money or influence will remain pretending to be his friends giving him the wrong advice until…

-end

Re: Al Amoudi's Betrayal of Ethiopians

Well said, sir.

The article is by and large Ok. Very strong criticism. In some places it is unfair and fraught wth subjective judgement such as "..He may never feel [the people's] pain .... he may never experience their misery and he may never feel their sadness." We are living in relative comfort in the US where we have 40 choices of cereals for break fast and 40 different flavors of icecream for desert. We are no Al Amoudi when it comes to comfort. But we are no average Ethiopian either to feel their pain, if we take the argument put forth againt Al Amoudi.

Overall the article is civil in its approach and by and large sound in its argument.

But I must note that it suffers from one improtant falacy. Actually the gist of the article is carried on one paragraph if that paragraph that seems to woubble. It reads as follows:

"In a letter he sent to his friends in the United States, he tried to defend his choice by claiming that he is participating in a democratic exercise. One truth that he and many others, especially foreigners, are missing is that this was not and is not a contest between different political parties with a shared aim of serving Ethiopia’s best interest. What we have is, on one hand the TPLF/EPRDF, which has openly subverted Ethiopia’s interest to realize its hidden agenda, and on the other, an opposition that is trying to deflect this subversion. It is not a contest between groups that present different ways of accomplishing a common goal, but a struggle between those who are destroying the country and those who are resisting this destruction." Beauty they say is in the eye of the beholder. At least over ten million people have voted for EPRDF. Are we saying that 10 million people voted for a party that is bent on destroying their country. Or does the above statement apply to Al Amoudi alone.
This is a falacy and undermines the very nature of the democratic election. If we acept the process (the vote) but not the outcome. We cannot make the above statement in all honesty.

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Geberdin

Email: mamoqilo@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Email: baheilu@yahoo.com

City: Minneapolis

For whatever reasons he supported EPDRF, he meant no harm to Ethiopian people. He made it clear in his letter that he supports an honest competition, and support the rightful decision of Ethiopians should be respected. In the past 14years he has never uttered anything but love and respect to Ethiopian people. We Ethiopians are just people. He has been good to all of us; he respectfully treated all Ethiopians regardless of their ethnic or religion background. When we try savage him on public media, it reflects badly on us than on him. Let us leave him alone, he is hurt and we also are hurt, but time will remedy all. The good this gentleman did to Ethiopia and Ethiopians way outweigh the bad we perceive he did.

Mr Brhan, Like your name indicated you are seeing a Light through the darkness of our beloved country Emama Ethiopia.
I admire you letter on the topic. Yes, Ethiopia's common people will see the light you are seeing through the darkness soon.
It is a wonderful,jeniun and educational voice to the Sheik. I hope it willget to his hand one day and he will recall it when the time comes.
I said...Bravo...Bravo...Bravo...to your letter.

Email: tabebe3@hotmail.com

City: Washington, DC

I agree whatever EPRDF is going to do to ethiopia, Al Amodi knows. If he was thinking because of his money, naturally Ethiopa is not poor. For decades, she never had the opportunity having great leader. Today we have the Money Man and we appricate him what he did for Ethiopia. If there were a great leader, Ethiopia by now could have been more billainer than Al Almoudi. Let us give it to history and leave Mr. Money Man Al Amoudi alone. He may said it with no mean to hurt the Ethiopian people and the nation.

thx. Peace to everyone who wishes..

one word i have for Al Amoudin:- The Day will came soon for ethiopians. This is a qustion that to suport a nazi that wish for ethiopia an etnic fight or be with people side. This is not polatics this is a qustion of been an ethiopians or not. Not by blood but by unity.

Email: l_zewdie@yahoo.com

City: pei (canada)

this is a test of Ethiopianism

one word i have for Al Amoudin:- The Day will came soon for ethiopians. This is a qustion that to suport a nazi(mels) that wish for ethiopia an etnic fight or be with people side. This is not polatics this is a qustion of been an ethiopians or not. Not by blood but by unity.

Email: l_zewdie@yahoo.com

City: pei (canada)

Dear Readers,

My reply on this topic was somehow bunggled up. SOme lines were cut out (my problem) and I pushed the send button a bit too early. This is a second attempt. Here we go.

Ato Sereke Berehan's article is Ok, by and large. It is a very strong criticism. In some places it is unfair and fraught with subjective judgment such as: “He may never feel [the people's] pain .... he may never experience their misery and he may never feel their sadness." Let us remember guys that we are living in relative comfort in the US where we have 40 choices of cereals for break fast and 40 different flavors of ice cream for desert. When it comes to comfort and wealth, we are no Al-Amoudi for sure. But, we are no average Ethiopian either to feel their pain and misery. Even at a minimum wage it takes us three days to earn what the average Ethiopian makes in one year (US$110 per capita). So, let us not try to grab the moral high ground, where it is not warranted.

Overall the article is civil in its tone and approach. By and large, it is also sound in its argument. But I must note that it suffers from one important fallacy. Actually, the gist of the article is carried on one pregnant paragraph, a paragraph that seems to wobble on the burden of weight it is loaded with.

The paragraph reads: "In a letter [Al Amoudi] sent to his friends in the United States, he tried to defend his choice by claiming that he is participating in a democratic exercise. One truth that he and many others, especially foreigners, are missing is that this was not and is not a contest between different political parties with a shared aim of serving Ethiopia’s best interest. What we have is, on one hand the TPLF/EPRDF, which has openly subverted Ethiopia’s interest to realize its hidden agenda, and on the other, an opposition that is trying to deflect this subversion. It is not a contest between groups that present different ways of accomplishing a common goal, but a struggle between those who are destroying the country and those who are resisting this destruction."

Beauty, they say, is in the eye of the beholder. One mans dictator is the other mans democrat. At least over ten million people have voted for EPRDF. The number could be much higher if one is to believe NEB’s report. But for the sake of argument I will take the lower end of the estimates. Are we saying that 10 million people voted for a party that is bent on destroying their country? Or does the above paragraph apply to Al Amoudi alone.

This is a fallacy that undermines the very democratic election process that we want to defend and uphold its results without any tampering or vote rigging. Can we fight for its outcome while disgracing the process? If not we cannot make the above statement in all honesty. Again I must ask my rhetorical question: Are we ready for democracy? Democracy without the respect of opposing views is autocracy! There is no way of sugar coating it.

Mamo Qilo

If Al Amoudi really loves Ethiopia, he could have used his millions to liberate our country from the fascist government that is sloughtering students, the future of Ethiopia. Ethiopia doesn't want his hotels and soft drink companies. What Ethiopia nees is liberation from the anti-Ethiopia regime that is destroying the country. Ethiopia is a rich country in manpower and natural resources. We don't need Al Amoudi's frifari, we don't need Geoge Bush's crumb. We don't need any body's petty. What we want the Al Amoudis, Tony Blairs, Geroge Bushs is to please please stop supporting these fascist governments so that we can leave freely and develop our country. Ato Sereke, I tried to stay away from this issue, because every time I hear some body saying that Al Amoudi has been good to Ethiopia, it makes me angry. Al Amoudi has been good to himself, to woyanne, and to his sychophant servants. What's left for the poor people is crumb.

Sereke Berhan,

I think it is obvious that I agree with your message, except that you wrote:
1- “…What he is doing for the country and his contribution for economic development is sincerely appreciated. Ethiopians should still feel indebted to him and we should respect his position.”

I disagree with this statement.
His so-called contributions are all questionable and we are not going to feel indebted to him at all!

2- “… whose voices he deliberately tried to ignore by helping a government that tried to steal their freedom.”
That is correct, a friend of Hitler will have to face accountability as Hitler does!

3- “…There is no need to condemn or slander the Sheik for making this unpopular decision”

I disagree with this statement.
He shall be condemn!
We all should disapprove him strongly if we believe what Meles’s actions are outrageous and not acceptable in any democratic process!
Hitler and a friend of Hitler have no right in democratic process, by the same token Meles and his friends (including but not limited to Moudi) have no right in democratic process!
Moudi has his chance to apologize or distance himself at least after the massacre!
Arat-kilo

what was left for us from his fortune, is systematically silencsing the most influential segment of the society by corrupting them with his money. for me, he is excuting the order that was passed by our historicall enemies.this is a very good time for him b/c the power is with the people like meles who grew up with complex of ethiopianism.who do not care what ever happened to oether people, but him self.

Email: sefer 1518@yahoo.com

City: denver

Great job.

Email: aidahailu@netzero.com

City: brromfield

Is this analysis or assertion? Do you agree that an analysis and/or assertion that is not substantiated with facts or supported by logically consistent arguments is irresponsible personal attack? I am not sure whose integrity you assaulted, yours or his. I am of the opinion that it was your own integrity that suffered in the eyes of your readers.

With all due respect

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Geberdin

Well done. Al amoudi is as deceptive as Meles Zenawi. The pretened to be sombodyelse and go with the flow. This time they both miscalculated the flow.

Thank you

Email: ethio@hotmail.com

City: DC

I wonder what the reaction of the CUD would be if AL Amoudi was supporing them instead of the EPRDF??????

Email: hiwot@starwon.com.au

I believe Ato Lidetu made a mistake when he commented on Al Amoudi's support to EPRDF.

A seasoned and shrewd reply should have been "It is a democratic movement we are advancing. We are fighting to make sure that every vote counts and that every individual freely expresses his views without fear or repercussion. We have the highest respect and admiration to Mr. Al Amoudi who has contributed to the development of our economy. We hope that he would learn more about our program particularly our policy on liberalization of the economy. I am confident he will have a different view when he learns more about us. We feel confident we provide better environment for investors. Meanwhile we appreciate and respect his right to choose." That would have been a sign of maturity and political wisdom.

Mamo Qilo

Selam Serek,

I understand that people getting upset about Alamoudi’s position. We are facing many things right now. Alamoudi is just distraction and so the other “aderbays” or those who benefited from the current system are like as the saying goes “wusha bebelabet yichohal”.
Let us keep our eyes on the prize-to stand by the Ethiopian people and safeguard the vote of the Ethiopia. Therefore, forget those who are not siding with the Ethiopian people-history will be the judge. Those who are against the people of Ethiopia are always bringing arguments after arguments to take away the attention. Never yield to such temptation.

Waqa Ethiopia Nuhataoo. (May God of Ethiopia be with her).

Gemechu

Email: gmegersa@yahoo.com

City: Nashville,TN

I find the critism very thoughtful and balanced. I couldn't have said any better than that about Alamoudi. I believe he still have a chance to regret and stand with the poor people he claims he care for.

My thanks goes to the author and to ER who have posted it.

sincerely,
Ayalew

Email: ayalew03@hotmail.com

City: dallas

ethiopia,
The question is not whether Moudi supported EPRDF or CUD or any other political party!
The issue with him is he claims that he loves Ethiopia (hopefully he meant the people, not just the land) and stands with the enemy of Ethiopia (happens to be EPRDF).

ethiopia,
You have to read Brehan's message.
He said that he could have taken a neutral stand>
Or as I said he could have apologize!
Or He could have distance himself!
Or etc.
He had a lot of choices than support Ethiopian people's enemy!

Le us say he didn't know things will go so wrong, that Meles will call his Agazzi murderers and therefore he just happen to exercise his right to support the party of his choice.
After the massacre he had (I believe he still has) a chance to come out and make a statement to show that he is against that kind of attack on the people (if he loves the people as he claims).
He can’t claim to love Ethiopia and stand still when Ethiopia is attacked by a murderers, especially when the murderers happens to be the one he supports.
He can’t have it both ways!
He should be a friend of the people who have been attacked or a friend of the attacker!
Arat-kilo

I agree with you. al amodi clearly stated that he has a right to support the government. he has to understand also ethiopians have a right to hate Meles and his suporters. and he has to know that all ethiopians will not forget his full suportivness to this murderer leader meles zenawi. we don't put our freedom and vote for negotiation with him. some people said he created a lots of job apportunity for our country let say he created for more than 50,000 jobs but at this critical moment we will not dismiss the future of 70 million people for his money. if he think about the poor ethiopians let's hear from him about his sadness for those who killed last week by his party.
finally for all ethiopians lets forget him and focuss on the mian enemy who is trying to still our fathers ,mothers, brothrs and sisters voice. I urge to all ethiopian web sites do not west your time by posting one ordinary person issue. all ethiopians in addiss already told him what he deserved.

City: Atlanta

Dear Friends,

First of all who are you to judge a persons democratic right?
Second if you love ethiopia like him you have to come here and fight the Nazi that you called we don't want anybody to tell us who is what.
Thirdly you are trying to destroy our country by your vecious words and make our people hate each other.

so when you write something lets have a Mizanawinet thought.

Email: mez@hotmail.com

City: A.A

I respect ER for posting S. Berehan's message.
I would also agree that with all the influence he has in his country, he should have kept his political opinion privet. Once you exercise your right of expressing your opinion, which is to support a goverment which most Ethiopians feel is advancing anti Ethiopian policies, one shouldn't expect to be questioned about it. Excercising your right comes with responsibilities.
one would like to know now what Mr. Alamudi thinks of
Asab?
Article 39?
Party owened companies?
Humman right abuses through the years?
Am I to assume that he stands with the TPLF government on these issues?
Is he ever going to elaborate just how far his support to this government goes?
May be it is that he is given a patiot status due to his investments in his country and shouldn't be asked about his political views? As some websites have suggested.
He opened up the discourse by publicly sopporting the government and he is better of stating out his position on the issues.
thanks.

Email: natnaelamare@comcast.net

City: oakland

I don't believe it is devisive to point out when some one like al amoudi displays with out any regard to the concern of so many; which side of the political divide he is standing mind you dear citizens not privately but publicly doesn't that warrant a public
discussion?
i say horray

endene

Email: negashz7@rcn.com

City: chicago

I agree with Bula Geberdin. The article seems to me a bit strongly worded and full of flaws. For me it raised more questions:

1) What does Sereke mean when he says "It doesn’t take much to figure out that Al Amoudi’s financial interest could be at stake if there is a change in government."? I thought he brought in his wealth from overseas and invested it for the good of the courtry. Besides private property is protected by the constitution. Deos Serke believes that we may go back to socialism and nationalisations one day in the future?

2) I agree that most of EPRDF's policies have failed. EPRDF is also an authoritarian government. Does that necessarily mean that it is working for the destruction of Ethiopia, as Sereke puts it?

Also, I think we should look at the events immediately before and after May 15 separately. The true colour of EPRDF has only been exposed after the election. I believe Al Amoudi would not have supported the EPRDF had he know what would unfold post May 15.

Zinabu Zennebe

Email: jon_happy2000@yahoo.com.au

Well, let us put it this way. The richest man in the land supported the cruelest Government in town. For most of us his decision may be seen strategically or morally ill advised or at best opportunistic. Or is that a hasty conclusion?

For just a while let me try to put my feet in this filthy rich man shoes (this is the only place to do that)
The scenarios:

1) Like any one of us, this person has one vote and is free to campaign for his liking. Unfortunately he miscalculated and sided with the unpopular. Keep it simple.

2) Defend business interest against a perceived thereat

He or his think thanks felt that in the aftermath of a possible victory by the opposition party they will declare communism and confiscate him. Ok that is exaggeration rather let me put it this way; he felt the opposition policies will be business unfriendly. So, he moved to defend his interest. Fair enough? I guess so.

2) Go with the flow and Perceived Opportunity

He or his think thank were certain beyond doubt and reached a conclusion that EPRDF will win the election no matter what Al Amoudi’s stand is. How did they reach at this conclusion? At all this is the third "Democratic election" and history tells us that EPRDF has recorded a smashing victory in the last two. How about the shining image of Meles in the Western world? (I know they can’t vote but can exert powerful diplomatic influence)

Remember the Ethiopian Government was one of the few African governments that supported a pre emptive strike against Iraq? Does it matter if EPRDF opposed that war? Whether EPRDF supported it or not the war was inevitable. So, why not support it and even get some kick back? I hope you won’t argue with me by raising moral or legal issues, at least not for Meles. In general what business sense does it make for Al Amoudi’s to go against a sure winner? Conclusion: Go with the flow and even get some kick back. Make sense?

3) Global Learning and the Fear Factor

Who will cry for him? remember the fate of the oil tycoon in Russia, Mikhail Khodorkovsky? He went head to head against the powerful Kremlin leader, and now I heard he is left only with his under pants. I am sure our wealthy capitalist is aware of this too. For most observers and even super powers EPRDF was supposed to ‘win the election’ like it did in the last two. Then will it be wise for Al Amoudi to go against a powerful and at best vendetta minded PM Meles? I mean unless he is touched he won’t try it.

4) Genuine Support in Return for Political will

I have never heard Al Amoudi, at least officially, complaining against Government red tape. He got what he wanted and he is sure enough he will get it in the future too. What else can an investor expect from any government except securing the political will to protect his interest, be it legally or through corruption? We shall not forget that Meles spared Al Amoudi from the notorious “Sugar crisis of Tamirat Layne”. Don’t tell me about ethical business stuff; money talks. If you don’t believe it ask America.

5) Untested Alternative: let us keep the status qua

In our history Alamoudi is the only soul willing to take the risk of investing such a staggering some of money in this war trodden and inhibitingly risky place called Ethiopia. Why did he accept to take a risk tantamount to a financial suicide? Answer: Ethiopia is his ailing mother and he wanted to help her out. Like the warriors who shed their blood to protect our freedom, like the athletes who cried joyfully to lift the spirit of Ethiopia, like Bealu Girma who dared to slap the monster; Al Amoudi is our un sung hero. He risked his fortune to fight this abject poverty in his motherland. Is there any one who will dare to sight profit motive? Not by a long shot.

So could he be afraid of the untested opposition alternative? Did he fell in to the trap of thinking the consequences could be too dangerous, this evil prophesy: Rwanda scenario?
If so he wisely chose to stick with the status qua.

6) The Hidden Motive Paranoia

I have come across some people who are suspicious of his motives. Be it founded or simply paranoia these people suspect him of promoting Muslim dominance in Ethiopia. Further, they sight the recent upsurge in extremist attitude in Ethiopia is supported by hidden injection of money and ideology which could upset the peaceful coexistence of the two major religions. This people also believe EPRDF is willing to support this stand as far as it can help to divide and rule. So there is a reason to backup each other.

As for me I won’t buy this for a second. Al Amoudi did not invest based on religious topography, did not employ based on religion, his charities did not discriminately benefit a particular religion. To the least this is Paranoia to the worst a disservice.

Conclusion:
Al Amoudi is an individual but influential public personality. So his actions are subject to scrutiny and criticism and he deserves nothing less than that. What ever his motive is in taking this highly unpopular move we shall not forget his unparalleled contribution in building our economy. Let us move on. No hard feelings we are buddies. tolerance, tolerance.......I cant emphaisze it enough.

Email: shenkute@yahoo.com

City: Nashville, TN

The Alamoudi-debate is beside the point

These days the famous Ethiopian websites have been inundated with pieces about Sheik Alamoudi and this subject seems to replace the all-important issue of democracy and election in Ethiopia. For a person who read all the articles one thing is very fascinating-that the writers do not listen to each other. Everyone speaks her mind about the situation without the slightest attempt to respond to or build on what others wrote about the subject. One article on ethiomedia.com is particularly notable as it approaches the issue from a different angle; if he is not heard it is also probable that I will not be heard, but it is worth trying. That writer says that Sheik Alamoudi has got the right, like any individual, to support any political party of his choosing, but to do that in a stadium is unlawful. It would have been great if we could read on whether or not this holds true or fair reading of the sports law.

But in all the controversy surrounding him one thing is clear and that is that all the arguments presume Sheik Alamoudi’s extraordinary respectability. Even those who are opposed to him subsume that he is a great public figure, one with one vote (like every one of us) but with many thunderous voices. And let’s take it, he is by all measures considered as the monarch of the country. And as such a figure, he was not expected by many to meddle in partisan politics and before he chooses which party to support he also has made a choice whether to play the all important neutral role (the role of a unifying figure) or an active participant in partisan politics. He is within the safe parameters of his right in choosing a partisan role and also choosing to support the EPRDF. But again Sheik Al-amoudi is considered as a friend of all Ethiopians including the opponents of the present regime; but talking about the law, he has the legal right to tell us that he is not a friend to all of us but only to the powerful. But others who have the privilege of gaining the support of the Sheik for their political views should understand the grief of others who are shocked by the message that his support for the EPRDF conveys. And let’s also face it, the EPRDF is not another political party in many democracies; it is rather a party that evokes the most gruesome image for a considerable number of Ethiopians.

Haile Gebre Selassie offers a counter-example to Sheik Alamoudi; in stead of throwing the full weight of his international and domestic influence behind one party, he called for the setting up of a coalition government by the opposition and the ruling parties. Whether or not his advice is heeded, Haile has successfully played his neutral role according to the legitimate expectation of many. As much as the political parties may need his voice, he would not freely give it. The rights discourse aside, practically this is far more important in a highly divisive political situation such as ours.

Supporting the EPRDF is thus a legal right, but may be standing aloof and trying to play a unifying role using his clout as one of the few most revered Ethiopians is a moral duty. Besides, the Sheik is expected to adhere to the laws and customs that are relevant in sports contexts. But his legal right and his immense contribution to the Ethiopian economy is quite undeniable and beside the point.

Email: derajsisay@yahoo.com

City: addis

PLs Leave this Gentle man alone and Let as spend our time and resource on other valuable things other than his wealth(richiness) he can buy against Ethiopia. I am saying this because
1. let us say he is convinced and asked ethiopian People excuse. what hall can he contribute to the world politics.
2. If he spends all his money (about 4.2 bill $) to this politics or Opositions hwat use does it have since Meles is cracking down all human rights and Democracy movement of Poor Ethiopia.

Pls therefore, try to contribute to other matter or views that could value to worlds Attention

Alah Bess Him

Email: agegnehub@yahoo.com

City: A.A

To tatari; I'm 100% agree with you. Al Amoudi is Good only to himself and to the evil Weyaney people. He does not have love for Ethiopia. Me too, I get sick when I hear about him. If 70 million Ethiopian people got the opportunity of good leadership, we could have more of Ethiopians richer than Mr. Money Man Al Amoudi. What Ethiopians need to know is that we have no anyone to trust or better friend to Ethiopia. We Do not need, Bush, Toni, or any other countries to help us. They do things for interest. Back in the old days, Ethiopia was a donater country. All Ethiopian must join together and stand up to elimnate the evil regime of EPRDF. The time is now, it is not too long peace to be on Ethiopians's and. The Ethiopian people knows what is Democratic government prior the electon. Mellions of Ethiopian Have choose who to be their leader for next 5yrs. They are well educated than of those who got B.S's, or PHD's. You name it. Ethiopia Got the people and God/Alah. Peace will come soon....

Why do we bother about this person? For me it is worthless to waste time by giving him unnecessary importance. In the capital where he compained in favor of EPRDF, they totally lost the people's vote. Even I could say that Al-moudi must be dipressed with the result, as his compain/advertisement was not successful.

best wishes

Email: wegenetenesa@yahoo.com

ER thanks for the discussion.
The first moment I heard about Al Amudi’s support to EPRDF I felt very much bad. But after sometime I started thinking of some other points like the students and other Ethiopians suffering from disease, hunger and torture in the dictators’ prisons. The situation here in Ethiopia is the worst. For you living abroad it might be just a matter of democratic suppression but now it has already passed that stage. It is the time when people are bitten at the gate of their own residence for having been heard talking about politics. If you go to some places out side Addis Ababa things are un believably worst.

This person may have the right to support any party he thinks best had it been that all parties are arguing on differences they have on policies and others. Had the differences been on ideas why EPRDF couldn’t agree with even one party out of so many parties appeared in the last 14 years. Why is that CUD and UEDF have come together while they still have differences in some ideas. Now the question for Ethiopia and Ethiopians is survival. I don’t want to think about one person who may not be able to explain what the party whom he supports is exactly doing and what the final aim of this party is. I assure you even the EPRDF members, except very few, don’t know what is being done by Woyane and what will the final goal be. Al Amudi has his own interest to come and invest in Ethiopia and also side EPRDF. There are so many things he is doing that exposes his personalities and why he is living in here. He has a strong monetary relationship with EPRDF leaders.

It might be simple at this time for us talking about all the existing conditions but we may regret to death after wards by what will happen to this country unless things have been refrained. My suggestion on this topic is to stop talking about Al Amudi and discuss about what should be done on the existing situations. We will be back to Al Amudi after the over through of Woyane and replace the government with those who will really be elected by the people.

Warmest regards,

Gera Geru

Email: g_tariku@yahoo.com

City: Addis

the article is well written and to the point. Ethiopian review well done!

Few words to Mamo qilo aka bula gabardin (abujadid is the right word for you) --- It seems you have made it your business to argue for the sake arguing.

Neither sheik alamoudi's position as a businessman or as an ethiopian warrants the position he took prior to the election. Businessmen all over ethiopia except those who are illegaly enriching themselves by collaborating with EPRDF are against its economic policies. secondly a businessman because of the very nature of his trade adheres to democracy that that would treat all equally, that is free competition not stand by ethnic-centered monoloplisation of the economy. Thirdly, an Ethiopian feels the pain of Ethiopians. The least an ethiopian would do is stand neutral.

Falacy Mamo kilo! Democracy is about people!! Democracy is about the voice of people. The ethiopian people have showed clearly that they want this government to step down. And in particular if sheik alamoudi after seeing the blood shed for the past two weeks can not change his views about this government, if the misery and pain of ethiopians (including wello) means nothing to him then he obviously is not standing by the ethiopian people. Then he was not naively exercising his democratic rights. it means he have been intentionally supporting a bloodsucking dictatorial regime of Meles for his own personal interest. I pray that was not the case! I hope today he would see the true nature of the government and hope will change his views and actions.

yemisrak

yemisrak

Email: EthiopianXX@aol.com

City: Dallas

Sheik Al Amoudi is naked! Thank you ethiopianreview.com. It is such a wonderful writing.

Email: ethiomt@yahoo.com

City: Vacouver, Canada

Guys,

No one is saying A Amoudi is not subject to criticism. I, for one, have said many times that his decision to support the government was unfrotunate and unwise. Read all reasonable views above Jawisa, Zinabu Zenebe, Mizanawinet, Yohannes, unknown all wrote reasonable pieces. None of the supported his decision, but wrote a balanced pieces while clearly documenting their own opinion that seem to be contrary to the views of Al Amoudi.

Then there are those who are innundated with rehtoric and expose their own lack of understanding of democracy and human rights than their grasp of democracy.

Then come those who confuse rhetroic and personal attach with informed discussion. Someone suggested that I should change my name to Abujadid for defending the right of Al Amudi to support any party he wishes fit, how misguided or wrong his choice may be. Abujadid is not a bad name, after all. But for those who cannot find the wisdom or rational to think beyond Islamic conspiracy, it may help them to know that Al Amoudi may be Muslim, but he is one of the most liberal people when it comes to religion (he is a Woloye). His wife is a member of an Ethiopian Church in Washington and his children go to church with her. This is a fact. But advocates of conspiracy theory have made up their mind and they will never allow themselves to be confused by the facts, no matter howmanytimes the facts are brought to their attention.

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Geberdin aka

To all SANE MINDED Ethiopians. Let's be honest with ourselves now. Hasn't our problem been that we all wanted democracy in our country, which by culture was always democratic, except that successive governments hijacked the democratic nature of the people of Ethiopia to benefit their personal egos?
What does democracy mean? One would think it is a stupid question, right?
If we are all to believe that democracy is the goal of Ethiopia and Ethiopians, we ought to understand and accept what ANYONE, I mean ANY ETHIOPIAN chooses to do with his ballot ticket, and/or the Tshirt he wears. With all the respect I have for Mr. Alamoudi for what he has done for our country and the people, my first impression was how could he do such a thing at such a critical moment? He should have given it a long thought. But then again, I said, what about the DEMOCRACY?
I am a Tigrayan who has a lot of issues with Legesse and his policies. But then again, just like me, Alamoudi is an Ethiopian. He has the GOD given right to vote and support whoever he chooses. Based on that, I asked myself who am I to judge him?
I really believe those who made so many derogatory terms and wrote critical articles about him should retract their criticisms and apologize to the guy. Let's just assume this. If he had opted to support the opposition which probably has the support of a significant popultaion of Ethiopians today, we would not have heard so much from so many people. It is sad but true. Why would the opposition need his support? Because he has money? Well, many would say, no. But the truth is, YES. If he did not have money, would we all be talking about him today? Does Ethiopia STILL depend on RICH people? Otherwise, with all the crimes or screwed up policies that Meles has been running, how is Alamoudi part of it? Are you poeple saying that Alamoudi is part of the big picture? If anyone can prove that, then come forward. Otherwise, Alamoudi, just like me and you, is another Ethiopian(with no moeny) who was having fun excercising his rights in a democratic process to side with any party he chooses to.
If anyone would deny him this basic right, he's got to be from the party on the opposite side. why?
Because he did not support the party of your choice. If that is not true, then you would not be complaining.
Let's look further into the future, and work on what we got to do tomorrow, than missing the rare train today and getting there next week.

Re: The road to hell was paved by good intention

The Road to hell was paved by good intention

I agree with almost all the positive remarks about Alamoudin. He invested a lot in Ethiopia. It is true. He is generous, albeit not ALWAYS for a noble cause. It is true. He is somewhat God given Ethiopia. Save the excesses, it is also true he is the ONLY true investor in Ethiopia for the last 14 years. I reflected this in my article on ethiomedia.com. Nevertheless, I don't want to hide the fact that I have a serious reservation on what the guy did. If I am allowed to quote those who can afford the "luxury" of saying "he is entitled to his opinion", I am also entitled to my opinion. ha ha ha I LIKE THAT! This is the type of 'luxury" we Ethiopians living in Ethiopia can't afford for we are under occupation. Do you believe me if I tell you I take myself as a Palestinian living in Gaza. We are conquered people. You may think this is an over statement or exaggeration. You may even dismiss it as a political rhetoric. Here lies the biggest difference between us and you guys mocking at us at the 18th street with your american cafe. I want to be clear with all of those who try to defend Alamoudin with all the determination of their nature. You don't know what type of hardship and unspeakable suffering we are going through. Maybe you hear it, but you can't appreciate it unless you personally face the full terror of the weyane being perpetrated each day. Now it has become each minute. As I write to you this letter, AAU students are condemned to die of starvation. They are under arrest for without sufficient food and incommunicado. Carter center and Anna Gomez, the EU boss, literally begged weyane to refrain from such barbaric act. They have so far refused. The biggest power for weyane to be so much cruel and barbaric is their financial muscle. My mother used to say, "Throwing stones is a play for kids. But it is a question of life and death for the birds the stone is aimed at". For Alamoudin it is simply a sort of businessman stylishness and/or a luxurious vote casting which may remind him his Ethiopian root. For the 73 million people the choice is slavery or freedom. Come on Alamoudin guys!!! He has offended us a lot. His money "bafinchachin yiwta." We can easily be a rich nation if we work hard in a democratic environment. I understand your worry. I understand what you are up to or trying to do. You are advising us to be within the rules of the game i.e let everybody support anyone he wishes to. However, don't try to dismiss the case as a simple political belief of one individual. It goes far beyond that. This may be true in the democratic nations. Weyane allowed this election to go the way it did under big pressure from America and Britain and being told by its own cadres that the peasant will vote for weyane. They are not at all democrats. It is NOT in their nature. Weyane can not survive for a month without the 43% budget subsidy coming from donors. So weyane had to present itself as a democrat par excellence to these guys. Besides, Meles is one of the hand picked 17 African Commissioners. He had to keep that feeling. Consequently he gambled. He thought the election will further polish his tarnished image. Actually it exposed his true fascistic nature. My dear brothers blinded by Alamoudin alms, Alamoudin came into the picture in such a situation. Do you know those who were directly or indirectly associated with Hitler are still hunted and prosecuted in a court of law? Do you dare to say it was their democratic right to rally behind Hitler? Hey, please don't be too much swayed by the man's investment in Ethiopia or his alms to Ethiopians abroad. Anytime when the choice is between money and my country, I choose my country without hesitation or reservation. Now we are at a cross road. Either we save our country or we will be destroyed at the hands of the weyanes. Alamoudin, intentionally or unintentionally, has rallied behind those who are determined to destroy Ethiopia. In a nutshell he is behind the Hitlers of Ethiopia. The gun meant to protect our country as a nation and the people as citizens is being increasingly used against us. Alamoudin is behind all these atrocities. His good intention does not help us. The road to hell was paved by good intention.
Hagere Ethiopia

Email: hagere_ethiopia@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa

Hi All

I find this debate about the Sheik is simply a waste of time and energy. There are more pressing and important matters to discuss about.

Who or which party one supports is not what is important. This is his/her right and there is nothing anybody can do about it. We cannot say that only those who support a certain idea are good persons. In any case the only political activity from the Sheik during the last decade was to wear a certain T-Shirt on a certain day and that is all. The opposition was quick to dismiss the whole event as unimportant because it recognizes the rights of the individual. Supporting EPRDF is not betraying anybody as supporting any of the opposition parties is also not. Then we are going to say that supporting CUD is betraying UEDF and vice versa. If we want to build a democratic country then we should be able to entertain and accept other people’s ideas even if they represent a minority. There are also some like me who do not support anybody and this is our right and we are not betraying anybody.

It is us who have been campaigning for EPRDF by putting the small T-shirt issue at the center of the election campaign. I am sure that Meles and co have been laughing since that day because they have succeeded in what they wanted to do. EPRDF is obviously not tolerant of ideas different from his own but the million dollars question is are we? If we don’t have the culture of tolerating those who don’t think like us and have different opinions then a government which is most of the times a reflection of the society it came out from will never be. EPRDF has lost a significant amount of seats and has started punishing the population for it and we are trying to do the same thing with the unfortunate Al Ahmudi. He has done and continues to do a lot for this country. Investments (whether local or foreign) are much more important that the few dollars we receive as Aid every year.
Let’s stop talking about who supports who and have a more constructive conversation about the democratic culture in our country.
It is much more important to talk about the following things for example:
- Does our country have policies and regulations as to how political parties should be funded and how they use their money during campaigns? How they can receive money and how they can’t
- Has the sheik been “bribed” into showing some support to EPRDF?
- Has he tried to twist the arm of his ten of thousands of employees into voting for EPRDF?
These questions can enlighten us more and document lessons learnt from this election instead of who one individual supports or not.
Thanks

Dear Hagre Ethiopia,

Your message is conflicted. It is at war with itself.

Yes, some of us live in luxury in the US compared to the average Ethiopian who lives by $110 per year, if World Bank GDP per capita figures are to be believed. You do not come across as one who suffers at the bottom of the economic hip in Ethiopia. Your Internet access itself gives you away as one of the very few Ethiopians living in relative luxury.

You say, "Come on Alamoudin guys!!! He has offended us a lot. His money "bafinchachin yiwta." Are you representing the 40,000 people benefiting and in deed relying on his investment? Quite frankly you sound remote from les miserable. I am dwelling on this issue to let you know that you cannot capture the moral high ground by simply reminding us that we live in the US.

Then you try to give us a lesson or two in history. Only to expose your own ignorance! You wrote: "Do you know those who were directly or indirectly associated with Hitler are still hunted and prosecuted in a court of law? Do you dare to say it was their democratic right to rally behind Hitler? Hey, please don't be too much swayed by the man's investment in Ethiopia or his alms to Ethiopians abroad."

First, please have some respect to the rule of law. You seem to be reckless with it. No one that I have read of was persecuted for supporting Hitler. Those persecuted were those who were directly involved in his criminal and atrocious actions, primarily those those who were part of his firing squad protocol. Do you know, or do you care to know, that there are thousands of Hitler supporters in the US who openly flaunt their swastika in public rallies. Do you know, or do you care to know, that there are neo-nazi parties legally functioning in a number of democratic parties. Go type "Neo Nazi Parties" in goggle search engine and you would come with titles such as "Germany's National Democratic Party said it planned to draw on the neo-Nazi scene in order to achieve the their ambitious plans of winning parliament seats in national elections in 2006." Whether you like it or not there was a fairly open democratic election in Ethiopia, barring some logistical problems and violations in isolated pockets. People supported and voted for their party. At least some 10,000,000 Ethiopians voted for EPRDF. This is no crime of any kind, leave alone a crime that can be compared with the evils of Hitler. What happens before and after the election need to be separated. In democracy the culture is you do not need to explain or ask for an apology for voting to a party of your choice.

You are reckless with your judgment also. You wrote: Alamudi is behind all the current "atrocities". Can you say the same about the 10 million people who supported and voted for EPRDF?

It is people like you that make me ask "Are we really ready for democracy? Do we know the difference between justice and fanaticism? Fortunatey the only power people like you have is to attack those who oppose our views with venomous vendetta. I am only wondering what we would have done if we had the kind of power Meles have. Our mentality shows that our thinking process is no better than his. It leaves me to wonder what we would have done. Remember we are calling every body that does not share our views as the enemy of Ethiopia. And we are ready to "die for" Ethiopia. Of course this implies we are ready to kill for her too. Our misguided notion is dangerous and reflects the culture of autocracy than democracy. Are we ready for democracy? Do we have any respect for justice?

Mamo Qilo

I agree with Arat Kilo.

Mamo Qilo,

Until this issue of Alamoudi came up, I was always facinated by your timely and intelectually rich analysis on any issue at hand.But, with all do respect, your repeated response to MR. sereke's letter on the issue of alamoudi cought me by surprise.In one way you tried to be the middle man not antgonizing supporters of Ethiopian cause by suggesting that the letter was by large fair.On the other hand, you tried to discredit a very well thougt and written letter by becoming too scientific. eg. your question if the letter was an assertion or analysis?
that is for you and others to decide.to me, It is a well written analysis based on what the the writters saw or read about Mr.Almoudis activity in the past 12 years.This includes some facts of course;this is not to say you have to accept Mr. sereke's letter at face value and move on, I am only ask you to give credit when it is due.Often time you get a fast response to your comment on the message board but not this time. you wonder Why? because most people want to stick to the issue of mr Alamoudi not how well mr sereke's letter was formulated.It seems to me that the issue of Mr.Alamoudi made you very uncomfortable.Are you worried that mr.Almoudi might some day turn back away from his multimillion doller investement In ethiopia? Having said all that, I still see you as a very good debater! I hope you will stay the same. this is only A minor slide.

peace!

Email: FELEGUHE_8@HOTMAIL.COM

City: ALEXANDRIA ,VA

Well done Sereke Birhan!

You Mamo Qilo, I found your views interesting most of the time BUT NOT THIS TIME!

Firstly, when Sereke Birhan was saying "He may never feel their pain, he may never be as hungry as they are, he may never experience their misery and he may never feel their sadness", I don't think he meant that all average ethiopian people are feeling the pain and hunger of the poor Ethiopians. But average and true Ethiopians don't work against the hope of poor Ethiopians. As the Amharic saying goes - besew kusil enjet yemised yelem. This Man (Al-Amoudi) did. This is what we have to see. Don't expect him or yourself or myself to leave in house where there is no shower and toilet which is the real life of most Ethiopians. So you can't discredit sereke's statement just like this.

Secondly, you did mention that at least 10 million people voted to EPRDF. By saying so, you tried to convience us that EPRDF is working for the betterment of Ethiopia. I DISAGREE. In the first place, only the legible voters of Tigray population voted TPLF with a very high influence. May be other Ethiopians voted EPRDF as a result of manipulatin as it is very easy to buy and manipulate poor and uneducated people. Remember the last time farmers got a chance of education was before 20 years during the Derg's meserete timhret Zemecha.

You shuold by now be sure that EPRDF is anti-Ethiopia. Knowing this we want them to resign in a democratic manner. But no doubt Meles is anti Ethiopia. He shall not sleep until he destroys Ethiopia. We should stand up and stop him. True sons and doughters of Ethiopia will do that. I am so hope full. Thanks God!!!

One last thing about the man in subject (Al Amoudi):
At leastI know better than Mamo Qilo how he works in Ethiopia and beleive me he has a very STRONG TIE with EPRDF. History will show us, just wait. He had to campagne for EPRDF. I don't blame him. It is a matter of life and death, I mean financially.

Lenegeruma South African Aparthied had also worked for the country but at the huge expense of black south Africans. The Same is true for Al Amoudi-EPRDF partnership investment in Ethiopia!

Say something Mr. Qilo.

I am glad that there are people who share my message!
I Support 100% the message from tatari and Hagere ethiopia!
I Support Yohannes S., though he came short in exposing Moudi's personal interest in his so called "investments".
The message to Yohannes is, Moudi is not helping ethiopia at all!
If you look at his investment closely, you will see that he has other agenda!
Arat-kilo

Mamo Quilo,

Now you get your name. You are really quillo. In your first reply to this discussion you said at least 10 million people elected EPRDF? Are you sure? I think the whole crisis in Ethiopia is EPRDF did not even get 1 million. Really u become Quillo.

For Alamudin, he just make a serious miscalculation when he suported EPRDF publicly. He didnot really take seriously the situation will turn out like this.

About you people ( Doesnot include me ) living in US can have a lot of choice. Hunger is not all about eating breakfast in mc donald or not or daily income. Yes of corse living in western countries make your belly full 24 hours. But feeling the hunger of the people is living inside the people.If he realy felt the hunger, it was the hunger of democracy that becomes a famine...................

Email: wbinyam@yahoo.com

City: AA

Dear Kenu Derese,

I have always defended Al Amudi on this issue. For your information I do not have any contact or relationship with him. I have met him once for no more than 20 seconds. We greeted each other and moved on. He probably would not even remember, but that is not the issue. I thought I should clear this up.

I do not write to antagonize or not to antagonize any particular group, be they who support or purport to support the Ethiopian cause or not. I write what I feel is just and right.

I thought Ato Sereke's piece was by and large a balanced criticism, but it was anchored on a paragraph that was shaky.

Respectfully I disagree with your statement that read: ".... most people want to stick to the issue of Mr. Alamoudi not how well Mr. sereke's letter was formulated." Mr. Alamudi's issue is the essence of Ato Sereke's piece. In my opinion it was well written but suffered from a critical fallacy, which I believed I showed. We need to be convinced about the alleged crime Al Amoudi has committed to make him the issue. Until then the issue is not his misdeed. It is the misdeed of those who pretend to capture the moral high ground.

You asked: "Are you worried that Ato Almoudi might some day turn back away from his multimillion dollar investment In Ethiopia?" This is not my primary worry. My worry is how different are we from Meles who have shown a propensity to attack his enemies (both perceived and real) with Gun than with the weapons of democracy – law, justice, civility and respect and tolerance for of opposing views.

You concluded: "Having said all that, I still see you as a very good debater! I hope you will stay the same. This is only a minor slide." I thank you also for sharing your view with civility, which seems to be in short supply on this forum when it comes with the issue of Al Amoudi.

Mamo Qilo

You are no different from EPRDF!!!With-me-or against-me policy is What characterizes Woyane.You advocate democracy and yet you do not have patient for difference & plurality.I do not understand What the big fuss is about the Shiek's opion.He does not even have a right to vote and somehow make a difference.All there is to it is a symbolic relevance.Finacial support?I doubt it becuse EPDF does not need one.The whole country is theirs(Sadly)!If you think he is boot-licking to advance his investmen opportunity ,You better think again.There are a lot of investment-haven states than Ethiopia (unfortunately)Doinig bussiness in Ethiopia is not something to be chased after.If you are trying to down play his contribution to the country you apparently have a lot of catching up to do.He ,as every one of us, makes mistakes.He may be rich but he is no God.We owe this man at least the curtesy of being patient.What he has been doing for the last 14 years at least deserve him that.But the problem is obvious.Rather than trying to confront the evil we gets it out on an individual, a non citizen,but a generous man nontheless.We better redirect our energy to where it needs to be.Stop dowelling on the inquesquential!

Email: gron@fastmail.et

City: entoto

Mamo,

you said you are always thier to defend Mr.Almoudi specially on this issue.and you also stated that you have nothing to do with MR. Alamoudi except that you mate him once briefly.fine! that was not the issue in the first place.the issue is, does Mr.Almoudi support the democratic process to improve the lives of the ethiopian people.If Mr. Almoudi cares for the plight of ethiopian people, why did he stay 14 long years? time changes. Mr. Almodi knew from the beginning that EPRDF won't win in ballot box. so he had to use his money and power to influence the out come of the election.Do you ever lived in washington area?. I live here in washington,DC area. about 13 years ago Mr.Almoudi used to hang out in ethiopian resturant.Suddenly, He become famous giving way thousands of dollars to his supporters and mistress in some cases buying house for some. Many wonder who he was, where the mony come from?, why he spends money the way he did?.Suddenly he beome known as a single millionarie both in ethiopia and outside ethiopia.Since then he invested in ethiopia with no oppostion from the EPRDF and partly monopolize the economic scene of the capital.Many wonder why EPRDF tolerate this man? Many of his supporters want us to see him as an ordinary ethiopian who only exercise his basic democratic right and throw his support to EPRDF. If Mr. Almoudi beleives in democratic process, why didn't he oppose EPRDF's media monopolaziation. why didn't he denaounce the killing of many innocent ethiopians for peacefully expressing their view on th election. Dear.Mr mamo Alamoudi's support to EPRDF is no accident.it is a survival matter to both. It is very clear now from Almoud's own action his survival only depends on the survival of this repressive regime.Mr. Alamoudi would have won the respect of millions of ethiopians had he stayed neutral as he was the past.

peace!

Email: FELEGUHE_8@HOTMAIL.COM

City: ALEXANDRIA ,VA

I wish the "Ethiopian Review" webpage refrain from this kind of discussions and focus the readers to the most pressing issue, the election, the killing by EPRDF, etc. as you have been doing well so far. Cluttering the webpage with “Al Amoudi's Betrayal of Ethiopians” issue is to some extent serves the interest of the government by diverting the peoples focus from the main issue.

Email: Minilik2005@hormail.com

City: Sacramento

Everybody expresses their anger on Alamoudin's choice of party. Most people think that Alamoudin is a role model and therefore has to be careful on what he says and does. For heaven sake, he is an individual just like anyone of us. He has the right to like and dislike any of the parties. He happens to like EPRDF for whatever reason. Everybody does not like CUD, I don't. Because I think they are exteremist and hardliners. I don't like EPRDF either. So I do not have party affiliation. Why on earth are we trying to discredit this individual? He does'nt have to explain to anybody about his actions. It is his right as an Ethiopian to do what ever he wants to do. Just get Off his back!!! It is plain stupid to continue to talk about this issue.

City: USA

I think this Al Amoudi is not and must not be Ethiopian.I think his main purpose is not to help Ethiopia rather than spreadind Islam. He must be considered even as an enemy since he wants to divert ethiopian rich history. He is not needed in Ethiopia.However, fate is clear. The almighty God of Aberaham,Isak and Jaakob will judge upon those unrighnous people soon!!!

Email: israelwa@walla.co.il

Well said!!
Little comment that I have is as follow. First, lets not forget that Al Amoudi endorsed EPRDF prior to the killing of unarmed innocent Ethiopians. As many of you would agree with me, there were millions of Ethiopians who supported EPRDF before this traggic evernt unfolded. Now, we all shifted the gear. We clearly understood, with no doubt in our mind, that EPRDF is not democratice rather a dectatorship that murders its own people in broad day light. Thus, do you think Al Amoudi would still affiliate himself with this party. I doubt!! So lets wait and see what is going to happen. Until then, please lets refrain ourselves from throwing unbalanced and destructive views.

City: Atlanta

Ooh mann this moudi guy is stealing our attention from the real enemy and killers of our people.

I feel like we wasting too mach time on this rich man. his support to woyane should not be a surrprise to us because he is a bussiness man there not to protect or promote democracy in ethiopia but he is there to make more money. he is an investor what do we expect. he cares more about his investments and religions future than he cares about the nation ethiopia.

so let's leave alone this rich guy alone for now and focus on the urgent request of our people and that is on how to get rid off this dictator/criminals we have in power.WOyane.

Death to the real enemy of ethiopia meles/woyane&co.

sereke i agree with you and give you an A+.
well done

I think Almoudi did a great Job as human being, Plus as we all know everyone have wright to choose. let's stop attacking or criticized a person and start think about the future of ethiopia and ehiopian People.

Email: ashagre@gmail.com

Some are condemning the choice of Al Amoudi and others are calling it unwise. His decision is not about this party or that get-together, my ethnic group or that tribal assembly, or the so-called destroyers of the country or builders of the nation. These are criterions for confused and emotional people. His choice is rather by asking, “Who is going to govern Ethiopia for the next coming years?” As a businessman, his decisions have to be based on facts (market indicators) and not wishes or desires. And any real businessman would agree with him.

I guess the public’s reaction is fairly normal in a civilization where emotion dictates every aspect of life. Of course, the man is aware of all public views toward his decision to line with the unpopular regime. Nevertheless, as a businessman, he is also aware of the doom of the nation politics. The country’s history shows that the “law of the jungle” as the only way in and the only way out. Why should it be altered this time around? He is simply following the usual law learning from the past experiences.

The question is how could the law of the jungle break off if emotion dictates the core of the nation’s civilization? Are Ethiopians ready to throw away the role of “emotion”? If not, Ethiopia will continue as a nation swollen with self-importance and emotion for the next thousands of years. However, the destiny of its people’s welfare will be bond to fell thousands folds. This is the truth. And sadly, not a penny serious investment will come to the country unless we show respect for logic and allow real business principles to flourish.

Lets grow up and master “emotion”. The role of emotion is unhealthy and extremely damaging. Lets use our nature given intelligent to work our way out of misery.

Sheik Al Amoudi Is not God. This is a change that is gifted to the people of Ethiopia for all the suffering they have done. Any one in this world should have an opinion and give the Sheik a chance to side with whomever he wants to support. When all is done and said Ethiopia will have its problem and we as the children of Ethiopia need to work together in this time of dificulties as one nation one people. If you follow the devide and rule; then who do you think is winning. People the Sheik is not a problem he is only one person and his money is not the solution of Ethiopia. So why waste a good source of energy in a mute subject.

Peace

Please leave Shieke Alhamudi alone! We dont want another "Arab yewuta" and creat enemies when a barrel of oil cost 60 dollars.

Great article with lots of truth. I thank the author and ER for posting it.

I want also to make a few comments: (1) I do not think Al Amoudi invested his money in Ethiopia for the sake of Ethiopians. He did it for himself for his own reasons. He just found that investing in Ethiopia at this time is the best possible way to use his money. Thus, no Ethiopian owes anything to him. The Ethiopian people might have benefited a lot from this, if his infulence and money have not contributed to the deterence of their struggle againist the evil regime of Meles. I consider this a negative contribution because freedom and the contry come first. (2) Al Amoudi compaigned for EPRDF before the election (with inappropriate procedures). After the election, the atitude of the Ethiopian people towards EPRDF and the true nature of EPRDF as an antidemocratic and antiEthiopia evil party have become more clear. I wonder if Al Amoude has now regreted his previous action in support of EPRDF. If so, an aplogy to the Ethiopian people will solve the problem.

Email: wazeleke@yahoo.com

I think that is one of the best articles written on the subject, in connection to the rich man's chioce. The article is analytical but still very solid and without doubt convincing for many people with good conscience. I am proud we have such thinkers and writers. I think many people respect the rich man's right of choice. But his choice was not in the best interest of the Ethiopian people, for sure. I hope he would have time to re-evaluate his stand and would be able to correct it in due course.

Email: mmgelaw@yahoo.com

City: Calgary, Canada

People:

Alamoudi is just another opportunist who will co-opt and corrupt the next ruling party as soon as his millions trickle down or up their chain of command. Though he may have the right to support any political party he chooses, it is quite evident that threw his support behind those he "reared" with his million. On the other hand, to say that he is a true son of Ethiopia, now that is quite a stretch!

City: Addisaba

Democracy is Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives. One has his/her rights to vote for any party. That’s why there are “TWO” parties to vote for. Al Amoudi's is not the only person who votes for the ruling party. The guy is a biasness man not a politician. I think what people should worry about is how to solve the current issue of “Ethiopia” not one persons political view. Let’s not shoot at the deer while the lion is chasing it, than shooting at the lion it self to save the deer…

Email: Lil_zam_2@yahoo.com

City: fairfax

Seriously, as a bussiness man Sheik Al hamudi has every wright to support a party that gives him good bussiness incentive. Why should he support EPRP? A party that will exproperate his Sheraton hotel the next morning.This noise "Al hamudi yiwudem!"is over done. better we stop it and move on like we cant turn the tide,the momuntum we had to overthrow Meles Zenawi with the collatoral damage 36 youngs and old. 500 taxis lost their licence with 1000 drivers and woyalas. The only win is, we salvage 10 pilots pending asylum.

Correct me If I am wrong, but wasn't this guy also in cahoot with the Derg. His goal in life is to have ANY kind of stabilty, be it dictatorial or otherwise, and rocking the boat is the last thing in his mind considering all his investments. Do you realy think he gives a rats ass about the 98% poor Ethiopians? I think you guys have too much expectation from one intellectually challenged dude who due to some mysterious reason happen to amass a great wealth. He is no rocket scientist. He is just a frigging obese rich man with many wifes. Live the guy alone.

City: Los Angeles

This is really depressing.What has alamoudi done to deserve all this? becasue he has excersised his democratic right? As far as I am concerned he is entitled much more.
The guy invested millions of dollars in Ethiopia. We should not brush that off very easily. He has invested in every field in the country. God forbid, if he had a short temper he would have left everything and gone out. The Country would suffer, each one of you definitely has one or two familly member working in his organization. All those would lose their jobs.
Mind you has he gained nothing. We should at least be grateful for what he did until now and encourage him to do more. What do we do instead? downgrade what he has done so far.
Whether EPRDF or CUD is in power, his investments still stands. Whatever misjudgement there is the opposition should be careful not to dissapoint the only investor the country has. That by the way includes this website too. Don't encourage something that can easily go out of your hand. Let us not be shortsighted.. ..
Shameless. Abesha mekegna aydel! Shameless indeed, and you say he is not the only one , that he is not GOD. Right now the way I see it he is a god send to ethiopia. Who else do you think will come and invest big money as he did in this poverty striken Ethiopia? Even each one of you living in the west do not want to spend a penny in the country . Selezi yematesseruten atananeku. live it experience it don't talk mumbo jumbo...

Email: yened2002@hotmail.com

City: US

Whatabout questioning his investment?
What if he incase is using Ethiopia to launder money?
He is as I read on this forum a suspecte to have link with terorrists.
If that is true, then it make sense to use a country like Ethiopia to launder money.

The question is, if you are a terrorist or have a likn to a terrorist would you not try find a way to launder money?
Would a country like Ethiopia be not a perfect place to do it?
If you want to funnel money from legitimate area to the illigal area or vise versa, would you not look where fund transaction accountebility is at its weakest point?

These are all questions one can ask, though the answers to these kind of questions are not looked for these questions (and a lot others) are ligitimate questions.
Where there is no transparency there is a great chance of finacial or other abuse of power.
What has been done to Ethiopia by Moudi is covered by so called "investment" and is yet to be seen in the future!
Arat-kilo

Re: Re: Al Amoudi's Betrayal of Ethiopians

To Atat Killo,

Thank you for your respectable comments. I disagree on your view point regarding ..his investement did not help Ethiopia. Even if one wants to buy the hidden agenda theory; still the investment is very important. "Ye Abaye deldeye" (the bridge of Abay)was built by Mosoloni and yet after decades that all we have.

Thanks
yohannes sh

Quotable Quotes From Enlightened Ethiopians

Democratic cultures threat voting and expressing ones view freely as inalienable rights of human beings, just like breathing. No explanation, justification or excuse is needed for exercising such rights. It is to establish such rights that we are struggling and fighting with EPRDF. This is my view and I would like to believe that I have the right to express this in public. Others believe many outside of the EPRDF immediate circle who believe that EPRDF is trying to do the same. We have different views from such people. But we need to respect and uphold their views as their inalienable right. Until we are ready to acept this, all our cries about democracy is a mockery of democratic struggle. Reading some of the messages on this board one would get the impression such a concept is alien to some people, including some of the staff writers of ER.

What I find amazing is that people violate this inalienable right under the cover of love for their country. Some even claim to do so in the name of integrity. Don't you find it comical that those who lack a trace of integrity are the very people who question the integrity of others who harbor different views and dare to express it in public.

Here are some quotable quotes from some of the vocal critics of Al Amoudi.

Ato Arat-Kilo led the pack:
“What if [Al-Amudi] in case is using Ethiopia to launder money?”
”He is as I read on this forum a suspect to have link with terrorists.”

Anonymous followed:

"[Al Amoudi's] goal in life is to have ANY kind of stabilty, be it dictatorial or otherwise
Do you realy think he gives a rats ass about the 98% poor Ethiopians? I think you guys have too much expectation from one intellectually challenged dude who due to some mysterious reason happen to amass a great wealth."

Zeleka WA asserted: "I do not think Al Amoudi invested his money in Ethiopia for the sake of Ethiopians.
He did it for himself for his own reasons.
He just found that investing in Ethiopia at this time is the best possible way to use his money." If her assertion is true all finace text books need to be rewritten. But this forum on this issue is not about logic, civility, or even integrity. Let us move on.

An absolute moron by the name of "Israel" wrote, probably the most offensive statement.

Israel wrote: "I think this Al Amoudi is not and must not be Ethiopian. I think his main purpose is not to help Ethiopia rather than spreading Islam. He must be considered even as an enemy since he wants to divert ethiopian rich history." According to Israel spreading Islam in Ethiopia is diverting the rich history of Ethiopia. The fact that Al-Amudi is married to a Christian woman who takes their children to church almost every Sundays is not factored in. I am sure the moron would think this is a cover up to trick the people while Al Amoudi spreads Islam. For your information I am an Orthodox Christian.

Kenu Derese wrote recklessly, without any support or evidence that “Mr. Almodi knew from the beginning that EPRDF won't win in ballot box. .... So he had to use his money and power to influence the out come of the election.” He continued to say that “… [Al Amudi]partly monopolize the economic scene of the capital.” This was not enough: Kenu Derese wrote: "It is very clear now from Almoud's own action his survival only depends on the survival of this repressive regime.Mr.”

Doro Mata wrote:
"At least I know better than Mamo Qilo how [Al Amoudi] works in Ethiopia and believe me he has a very STRONG TIE with EPRDF. History will show us, just wait. He had to campaign for EPRDF. I don't blame him. It is a matter of life and death, I mean financially."

For Al Amoudi his investment in Ethiopia may not even worth 10% of his total worth, but this is not a factor in Doro Mata's calculation of Al Amudi's financial life and death situation.

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Geberdin

To Mamo Killo,

Thanks for your constructive opinion

Yohannes Sh.

To Arat Killo,
Here you go again! do you really suspect this investment could to be a cover up money for a an ill gained money; laudering?

Come on! will you invest under the license of a world renowened Sheraton hotel with a laudnder money? Will you expose your self to extra publicity as "God's cashier" with ill gained money? will you find a temporary resting place for your ill gained wealth or stuck it in long term investment such as manufacturing plants?

Dear arat Killo, I will leave the answer for your self.

thanks
yohannes Sh.

Sleeping with the enemy:

I'm one of the learners in democracy, because I've never seen it or practiced it in my own country except here in the west for which I don't participate full heartedly as I do for my birth place-ETHIOPIA. In learning democracy one has to understand that different people has different choices and we've to respect that, if we want our choices to be respected as well. This gentleman Ato Al Amoudi is also a person with one voting card as the rest of Ethiopians. What makes him different is his investment to his country. Any government-the present or the incoming needs his investment and this is what matters at this point. I think we are fulling ourselves if we are going to treat any investor the way we are treating this man. Many of us who are writting from our comfortable places, we think and love truly our country, but when it comes to real contribution? He is doing what millions of us only wish we could or we could have done. How many of us go to the meeting of Ethiopians for a voluntary fund raising event? Even for the opposition parties? How many of us sponsor any opposition candidate? How many of us help an orphanage in Ethiopia? How many of us help AIDS sufferes or Tuberclosis(TB)patients? How many of us contribute for our country as a whole except whining and crying? BUT, when it comes to someones wedding or funeral hundreds of us will flock. Is this how we are going to build our country? Please, understand me I'm not saying our tradition of helping some one in her/his happiness or sadness is bad. Simply I'm asking our priorities and importance are misplaced. I know I'm going way out of this topic, but what I'm trying to say is please, let's be fair and careful when it comes to criticizing people for their choices or deeds. Especially, for such important person who has done immense contribution to his country. Off course as you feel it, me too would have loved to see him out of this infantile politics not because he has no business in his country's future, but just because the person of his stature should have been above of it(Ethiopian politics). If he chooses to participate, I wish he could have sided with the defenceless opposition parties. Yet again, it's democracy I've to respect his decision/choice even though I don't agree with his choice. That's democracy!
The other thing I want to focus is we should not be totally negative to everythig which doesn't go our way. There are many ways doing things. Threfore, may be, just may be he's trying to help in his way to calm the out going traitors (Meles/Bereket/Addisu Legesse) by being nice and sweet. You know with honey you can catch many flies/Nib! Well, let's keep praying for peace and democray, for our beloved Country the one and only ETHIOPIA!
Thanks,

Email: tadesse67@shaw.ca

For Mamo Qilo and others who keep on saying that Al Amoudi is investing in Ethiopia, benefiting ethiopia bla bla... Let me tell you that curently he has a bad debt of 500 million birr at the Commercial bank of Ethiopia. You can prove it, contact the bank officials. Eventhough Adolla Gold mine is doing fine, he is not paying his debt properly that he has taken from the bank of this poor country.

You understand Qilo?

I have been fighting with myself thinking the best way to exppress my reservation about the whole thing, particularly the motives of ER in making this issue a recurring theme, would be to abstain from this forum. Unfortunately I couldn't.

I would like to express my appreciation of the carefully articulated piece by Sereke. I think it boarders the feelings of every one from those who take it as his birth right to do what he did to those who hate him for what he is than for what he what he does, that includes but not limited to his religious back ground. For many of the later the election blunder brought a perfect opportunity for vendetta. I have a strong feeling these group of people consitutte the majrotiy among those who strongly oppose him. I am among those very much disappointed by his acts, but never taken him legaly responsible as Sereke seems to indicate and never try to equate him with our killers. What I failed to understand is the demarcation between an action not likened by many and an illegal one. If it is legal, the best one should do is to lobby to make him change his opinion or his support to EPRDF. I would say, the effort so far seems to go against the opposition and is stregthening our enemy. Apparently, the only objective argument people raise seeems to revolve around one point: Since he has supported a regime invovled in harassing its own people, he needs to take the blame. My simple question for evey body here then is what the definition of particiaption is? Are we going to sue millions of EPRDF cadres, government officials armed forces who have been instrumental in the regime's long history of brutal dictatorship. many of them surely have been doing it with full knowledge of their evil act. what about teh western diplomats who susbsidize 45%of its budget ans sustain this brutal regime? As afar as I am concerned, I am not even interested in bringing Meles to justice, for I feel Ethiopia would benefit more from forgiving principle than vengeance. How many of you know that Alamoudi started his investment during Mengistu Era? How many of you know that Alamoudi made the contract for construction of his biggest investment, Sheraton with Mengistu? He has slept with the enemy then. We should have condemend him then too.

To ER, moderators, I recommend that you prepare a petition to be sent to Alamoudi if you think it is important to do so. Otherwise, we have enough of this issue. It serves nothing. At best, it will only expose our "woregnanet".

My last on Alamoudi,

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

The assertion that it is the democratic right of the Sheik to participate in the politics of Ethiopia is not an accepted norm of international politics. The Sheik is a foreigner and the laws governing that relations do not include the right to interfer in the internal affairs of other societies. The Treaty of Westphelia (governing sovernignity) has been governing international relations for over one hundred years. Powerful governments might disrespect this treaty from time to time. But it does not mean that they have the right to do so.
Since the end of the cold war however there is a tacit agreement that the treaty should be considered null and void when human rights are at stake. This means the Melese government cannot claim sovereignity and buse the human right of Ethiopians. The Sheik could also take opportunity of this new pratice to expose attrociities and corruption.

Email: -

City: Paris

Even though I appreciate the participation of a lot of you in this forum , I regret that a lot of effort was made in trying to analyis an individuals personal stand on the his choice, let me ask all of you because it is one question which bother's me too
"what would you have done if you had millions like him whom would you have sided with?" if you answer this with the truth in your heart than i will raise my hat to you
waiting for reply

Doro Matta,I dont know way you want to equate Sheik Al Hamudi with Mikhail Khordorkovsky. It is not fair to accuse him of stealing his own money.Let us be modest and accuse of being a "carpet bagger". He saw an empty house where he can make money with little investment and took the chance when every body was wallowing. and why not? He is an American.

Doro Mata,

First, if you read my postings in all cases I argued based on his right to express his views. The recurrent team in all my postings was his right as a human being. Not as a big time invester.

So, what does having a bad dept (if at all this is true) got to do with his right to express his views? You can assume that this is the case that he actually failed to pay his debt. You can also assume that he was found liable and ordered by the court to pay the money. He still would have all the right in the world to wear any T shirt with any tex and graphics on it. Do you see a falacy in this?

Mao Qilo

Poor native Ethiopians who are beefed up with American GM,
I greet you from Addis,where corn is just ripe and widely available.
By the way,your English is crude;maybe you were too old to learn.I understand most of you left with ethiopian passports on your own--not as kids.

It seems you have not yet perceived the values of democracy in an adequate manner.Thus,I do not blame you for being rude towards Sheik Mohammed.
Trust me I have never taken a coin from him.But I know how kind and supportive he is to Ethiopians.He invests in ,in his own words,with his HEART,not with his brain when it comes to Ethiopia.
He has every right to support any party in Ethiopia as long as he refrains from giving in kind,as the election law has it.
Sheik Mohammed,please do not take them seriously for they do not know what you have done for the needy.

I personally like you without meeting you in person.

God bless you and your kind family.
I remain

City: ADDIS

Yohanns S., Don’t be a fool!
(I won’t say that to Mamo, because he is).
Let me put it like this:
We have no prove what is Moudi’s motive to so-called “investment”.
Or I think in a such non-transparent environment where he is let loose, we can not prove his motives at all.

As we don't have or cannot prove Moudi's motive to "invest" in a poor country Ethiopia where he and his supporters continually cry that he is loosing money, we also don't have or cannot prove where he gets his funds.
Is funded by the mighty Saudi riches?
Or as he claims he is "investing" his own money?
Are you suggesting that we have to take his word for it?
I guess that is what you are saying.

One might say it is not our business where he got his money, but I beg to differ.
We have to question his motive all the way up to where is he getting his funding?
Is he getting a break from the Saudi government for what he is doing in Ethiopia? (that might have a long-term strategic benefit to Saudi government).
Do we have a right to question and scrutinize his motive and the influence he is imposing on our country's economical well-being, and the peoples mind?

As we can see he already have arrested some of our peoples mined and influenced their thinking so much, that they say his is a man given by GOD!
When I read statements like that I remember how some people use to think Haile Selasse is given by GOD!
How can an individual be let to capture peoples mined by merely influence of “his” financial power?
Isn't that dangerous to see that people say he is God give man to Ethiopia?
I will not let this happen to the people I love or the people around me without trying to show them that is not right.
His influence has capture some peoples mined that they will fight for him blindly!
I say this to Mamo and his think alike: Wake up!
Don't let your mined be controlled by money! or someone’s financial power!
Your words show how much you have surrendered to this man!
Question all the way, and don't be impress by how much he supposedly have, billions or trillions!
It doesn't matter how much money he supposedly have!
He has questionable actions!
We will keep questioning his motives and more!
Arat-kilo

The Students of Woldia are with the Sheik!!
We are deeply touched by the sinister and smear campaign of so-called Ethiopians that are defaming Al Amoudi.Why do you do that?Are your comments coming from Erutrea? We take it you are doing this to decoy the Shiek to you areas.We do not see any other logic.

Had it not been for the generous contributions of Alamoudi,TAYTU BITUL SCHOOL in WOLDIA would have been sunk into oblivion.
We love you Al Amoudi;we are taking exams know.
We will be joining the College,whose construction is in your drawing board.
Long live Al A.

Mamo Qilo,

Yes, you are quite right. To answer your question, I don't see any falacy in it.

He can be whatever he want. But we have the right to invalidate/discredit his move in supporting the killer Woyane. We don't allow him to crush our interest or sponsor the cruel rulers of EPRDF under the cover of democracy. Democracy means majority and he should be governed by the majority. Remember the majority used to love him a lot. That was the whole idea of talking about him especially the bad side of him.

Mamo Qilo, while I have differred from you on the very idea of Al Amoudi, I can't wait to read your ideas on another subject. You are a very logical debator.

Woldia,
I feel your pain, but TAYTU School is not going to cover the massacre of AAU students.
I see your dream of getting in collage etc, but the idea is freedom first.
If it were about economical benefit of some here and there (as in Moudi's frifari), then we would have been better colonized by Europeans long time ago!
But that is not what is left to us, what is left to us is to fight for freedom at all cost!
You might have this on your history exam if you guys are learning about Ethiopian history.
Good luck on your exam!
Good luck on your dream on joining collage!
Hope you will fight for freedom as your fellow students did!
Arat-kilo

The Sheik takes care of about 100,000 Ethiopians.In his own words,"ye-ethiopia hizb sirab inem irabalehu.yeterabew wogene sitegib erekalehu".
He is for the development of Ethiopia.He dreams to take Ethiopia to its proper place.
Ibakachihu sertachihu bilu. Hager wodad Kemesadeb serto meblat yishalal.

Hager wodadin yemisadebna yemiaward tarik yifaredewal.

Tarik yifaredewal !

Girmay G.K .,
You wrote:
“…The Sheik takes care of about 100,000 Ethiopians.In his own words,"ye-ethiopia hizb sirab inem irabalehu.yeterabew wogene sitegib erekalehu".

Should we ignore the massacre of AAU students and others just because he employs 100,000 people?
How many people should you support and stand with murderer?
Is there a cut off, like if you have employed 10,000 or more then you can stand with the murderer and no one should say nothing about you nor you can do what ever you want and we will bow to you?
Is there a cut off?
Is Sheraton Addis is for the poor and hungry?
Let that statement of Moudi be out there for people to comment, but I will say:
this kid of his PR what makes me feel puke!

Is that what he thinks?
O! poor Sheki, if that is the case then ‘ye-Ethiopia hizb simot esu mine hone? Mote? Weyis ke gedayoch gar teselefe? Caneterachewn lebese?’

Where is his lip service going to take him?
Did he feel it when people are massacred?
Or is he going to feel only when people are hungry?

Girmay G.K .,
You wrote:
“Hager wodadin yemisadebna yemiaward tarik yifaredewal”.

That is what exactly I am saying, it just you have confused hager wodedadun.
For me hager wodadoch are AAU students and all those fighting the brutal regime!
And hager wodadin yemisadeb are Meles Zenawi and his followers (including but not limited to Moudi).
I say tarik yifaredachewal!
I say Moudi’s action is more than hager wodadin mesadeb, and therefore tarik yifaredewal!

Let Moudi know that the T-shirt he wore has people’s blood on it!
The blood of the people he claims he love!
Arat-kilo

Liz,

I find your analogy discomforting because in the current state of the reality, Ethiopia is the deer and TPLF/Woyane(more appropriately)the predator- hyenas.

Don't you agree?

That is exactly my point. He should stay out from Politics. Ethipian people never trade their freedom by money. His money may can buy him what he wants, but not any more the love of thousands Ethiopians.
Mesfin

Email: godlover68@yahoo.com

City: San Diego, CA

Beheg-Amlack,
I don't blame Liz, she is confused.
She doesn't know that Moudi wore a T-shirt that is soaked with Ethiopian people's blood!
We need to reach out and inform people all about it!
Arat-kilo

i thinkk everybody in this messageboard needs to seriously consider MAMO KILLOS ANALYSIS !!!
WELL DONE MAMO!!

Please allow me to say something. I think the forum is written by the support of Al Amoudi. They really know why they are supporting him. They don't give a damm about ethiopia neither the Sheik. Would you please not participate when the EPDRF, AND NEGUSSIE CALLED the Forum. Thanks.

Oh. NEGUSSIE we are sick and tired of you. We know well about you why don't you just zip your mouth.

Re: Al Amoudi's Betrayal of Ethiopians, To Mamo Qilo

Dear Mamo Qilo;

I have a question for you about the the 10 million people you mentioned to have voted for EPRDF. What other choices did these people have? Aren't these people the people living under a complete dictatorial rule? As far as I know the choices for these people were 1.TPLF
2.TPLF
3.TPLF
list ends.

Is this the "democratic process" you are asking us to respect. You realy been fooled here, Qilo. For me the struggle is to get rid of these gangs which hijacked the peoples right and dream in whatever way at hand. You got to wake up and join in the march for establishing the real democracy. The election of the opposition, if it is going to happen, is not the end of it but the begning.

Email: deregehab@yahoo.com

City: New York

Sheik Al-Amoudi's case remind me of my x-boss in Miami, Fl. In the 80's. I do not want to mention my boss's name or the company, but the governor election was between then Gov. Bob Grham & the young republican the present govornor Jeb Bush. My boss get a call to come for a small group of multi millioners fund raising for Jebb, without thinking twice he agreed, the PR officer was not aware, it was late in the afternoon, I was just walking out of the office and I run to him in the elevator after we greet he ask me where Bob was? (the PR officer), I told him I don't know, but we are going to see each other in the evening, There was no cell phone then he told me "to go back and page him 911, and I want to talk to him right away." I said ok went back up stairs he followed me, I paged Bob and he replied in about a minute, I put the Boss on the line, he told him that he was going to the fund raising and he ask him if he can accompany him. The first thing he ask him was who is going to be there? and why he have to go there? Since he can send a check without being there. One of the person who is going to be there is a developer who was fighting tooth and nail with the city about closing the beach area for the public and develop it for private use only with exclusive appartment and hotels, Bob told him why does he have to be in the same place doing the same thing with this man? How is his and the company's image will be percived by the public, the consumer, if the press know about it? I can't forget my boss's face and what he said "thank you Bob I never thought of it." This type of PR person is what Sheik Al-Amoudi needs.
I never met Al-Amoudi, but I know for sure that he loves his country, and he might have thought he is doing the right thing, but he should know that with his position, and stature he should be very carefull, not only in this Ethiopian election but many many things. I like to give him an advise if he reads this or any one who have an acess to him to tell him to hire a professional PR person, and for sure he can afford an excellent one.

Email: bhginvest@yahoo.co

City: Chavy Chase, Md

Professor Derrege Habtamu,

You said that the election choice was between (1) TPLF, (2) TPLF, and (3) TPLF.

Is this a typo? The last I checked the choice was between EPRDF, CUD, UEDF, and other relatively smaller parties. If your assertion is correct, then CUD and UEDF have deceived us. They told us that they participated in the election and that many peopled voted for them. Please verify your story for us. We need to confront CUD and UEDF and ask them why they lied to us.

Derege, I think you are either a true Ethiopian who is so blinded by his love to his country and have lost your moral and intellectual compass, or you are a TPLF cadre who is playing a game with us.

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Generdin

J.J.,
I think that is a good idea.
Maybe the newq PR will tell him to apologize or write a letter in his behalf that will have a damage controll direction.
I have always said he (Moudi) has time to get in touch with the people!
Arat-kilo

dave,
I think moderator deleted my response to you!
Well, net time I will get to you ASAP!
Arat-kilo

Hey Mamo Killo thank you, I will try to wise up.

"... keep questioning his motives and more"

Sure keep questioning his motives. It is legitimate and the respectable thing to do. However, do some research, come up with facts and convincing arguments. Don’t be engulfed by emotions and scant assesements which may not lead us towards a fair and balanced opinion.

call me foolish, it would be easier for me to give a positive assessment of his investment endeavors. Why? because I see the brick and mortar he built, I know his investment has created jobs, he charities has helped the poor and even saved lives of our all time celebrities like Artist Tilahun Gessesse and others. I don’t claim that he is Messiah or angel from God but simply a sinner like all of us or even more.

Mamo, I agree with you that we are not sure where the source of his finance is. However, to be pragmatic it is the least of my worries for a starving nation to be itching about his money trail. I would be deeply alarmed if this finance was originating from local sources or state funding and is used against public interest. If not "edaw gebesse newe"

The burden shall lie unto you and other legitimate skeptics to proof that this real investment is a covert operation or a smoke screen to lull by our nation in to a trap of historic proportion. I suggest that until you can substantiate this theory, it is simply fair enough to give him credit for the things you feel and touch rather than to discredit him for un connected dots revolving around his investment motives. In the mean time keep questioning; it is the way to wisdom.

Thanks
yohannes

Yohannes,

I believe u are confusing Mamo Qilo with Hulet Kilo, or is he Arat Kilo?

Mamo Qilo

Mamao,
You don't have to deny that support rendered to Woyanne, by the "Sole great invester", has provided Moudi an advantage on his financial woes. There are many ways he can take benefit from the fragile and chaotic financial system in the country.This includes access to illegal duty and tax free previlages, good terms of loan, deffered loan payments, favours on land lease and other privelages that the government bestows on favourite sons. He is taking a most most favoured status in the country in many ways- exemptions to the tunes of hundreds of millions of DOLLARS- which should be in the Nation's Treasury.Woyannes don't worry if you plunder the country.
-You also have to undestand that he DIRECTLY participated in the financing of the Woyanne capamaign.
- the interesting thing about the whole Mudi case is that eventually it backfired on themeselves , including on Mudi- the silent Ethiopians have expressed their feelings with the only weapon they have- boycotting Pepsi products. Coca cola is in big demand all over the country now . The truth will reach you pretty soon.
- Please don't glamorize Mudi. He is a man with obviously a large fortune but possesses a petty and vulgar mind and lifestyle. Can you tell me of any meaningful social initative or chartiy that is even remotely associated with him? He doesn't have any kind of foundation, trust or structured plan to contrbute towards the development of his "beloved" country.He only keeps himself contented by handing out money to Ethiopian celebrites, his court jesters and,...- like 19th century feudal lords. .......
-He , on advice of his handlers, could have at least distanced himself after the killings. On the contrary he keeps on making big parties to the ruling people, perhaps, celebrating their heroic deeds of recent times.I think festivties in a period of national sorrow is not what you expect from those who love their country. Most Ethiopians will not forget this.
- At any rate, I, and most Ethiopans of the present young generation, believe that our country will come out of this mess more strengthend, united, matured and ready to join the global family of democratic states, with or wtithout Alamoudi's investment.

Ethiopians will never kneel down to Dictators any more.

Dear Ethiopians,
You are jsut attacking Al Amoudi because he is Moslem.
That is not fair to the majority of Ethiopian who exercise this religion. Ethiopia is a diverse country with many religions. We should respect all of them on eqaul footing.

Email: shirdons@yahoo.com

City: Washington DC

Yohannes S.,
Read Teddy's message, that is my response to you!
In short, Moudi did nothing for the poor and/or hungery!
Or as you call them the starving people!
Arat-kilo

I agree with Israel.
Dear Israel, you are right. This guy has a hidden mission.
He doesn't have a feeling of being an Ethiopian. He doesn't care a bout our extreme love for Ethiopa. Because he is not exactly an Ethiopian. He came to our cunotry to disgrace us or to destroy our rich history.
Someone told me he was a soldier in Saudarabian army. He didn't have a lot of money that time. He was just a soldier. But, those Saudis/the king family gave him over a billon dollar to spread Islam in Ethiopia and to disgrace us/ to destroy our rich history.That is why he is working with one of Ethiopia's worst enemy WOYANE. Some people comments here that we shouldn't talk about this guy/Mr Moudi or bla bla bla..He is one of top financier of WOYANE and its collaboraters. Unless he apolozie officially to the Ethiopian people what he has done or what is doing, we/the Ethiopian People will never forgive him.Time will come,We will punish him severely
We have not finshed our business about this guy. Not yet!
Long live mother Ethiopa
Regards
Matilda

Dear Qilo oh! Sorry, Mammo Qilo:
It was with disbelief and shock that I read your response to my comment. Listen, Hitler had BASICALLY two types of guys. The first group was those who do the dirty job i.e killing, maiming, torturing what have you. The second group was his financial muscle and the scientists. Oh! there is still other group those who are just card holding members. They might be forced to contribute their monthly party contribution, but no where as such engaged in any area. They were for parade, demonstration etc and were also considered as a reserve army alongside the entire German people. I am trying to educate you Mr Qilo. Please cite one just one individual who actively assisted with his millions dollars or billions of German mark of the time and yet not prosecuted in a court of law. He who gives money for fascists to kill the people is a MURDERER. This is what Alamoudin is doing. As a beneficiary of his alms you can't see such truth. I repeat once again that his filthy money BAFICHACHIN YIWTA. You can enjoy his filthy money in exile and write nonsense on this board. Do you know in one fund raising occasion ONLY Alamoudin gave them 4 million Birr? Do you know what weyane will do with that 4 million Birr? Do you think weyane will buy bread for the hungry with the 4 million Birr? Hey please shut your filthy mouth! Do you know Alamoudin sponsored a dinner party that very day hundreds were shot in cold blood by weyane buchiloch? Let me tell you about the dinner party at Sheraton at that very day 36 innocent were massacred in a broad day light. Alamoudin sponsored the dinner party for the 15 years old son of Meles Zenawi. He delivered a speech. He said, "all our enemies will perish". I know this is nothing for you. I rather imagine you shooting up from your seat and say "this is his democratic right". Which version of democracy is your democracy? You talk about the neo nazis blah blah. Do you know you can't in public comment anything in favour of holocaust in Germany? Listen man, you are a confused person. You don't have the time to read books. Sandwich flipping didn't give you enough time to read. You seem to be proud of eating the macdonald garbage. I say you are privileged only in one way i.e you live in a free environment where nothing will happen to you without a due process of law. Nothing more nothing less. I am a professional with a stable life and a solid academic standing. This is the difference between me and you.
Hagere Ethiopia

Hagere Ethiopia,

I am truly happy to read your assertion that you are "a professional with a stable life and a solid academic standing." You also said "This is the difference between me and you." This, I suspect, is also true.

I am a Mamo Qilo, not much of an education to brag about. Though I, too, can say I am also a professional cab driver, I suspect I am below you in the corporate food chain. This is the obvious and the inconsequential part of our debate.

But, I hope you would allow me to state what is less obvious, but relevant in our debate. that is, when it comes to understanding world politics, finance, economics, and providing a sound political analysis, this cab driving soul would kick your professional behind in a NY second.

You wrote: "…. Please cite one just one individual who actively assisted with his millions dollars or billions of German mark of the time and yet not prosecuted in a court of law.”

I respond: First thing first! Meles is not Hitler -- their crimes are different both in nature and magnitude. One was involved in genocide the other is engaged in political killings. Even Mengistu who had killed 100 times more people than Meles cannot be compared with Hitler. The second, and probably most important, point is that persecution in the court of law requires establishing a legal case in a civilized manner within the parameters of the law. It is not to be based on innuendos, rumors and stupid arguments; such as Al Amoudi's motive is to spread Islam, as if this is a crime. Have you seen one message on this forum that has established and substantiated any criminal act or even intent to commit crime on Al Amoudi’s part? If you are as enlightened as you would like to tell us, you would know that some of the most prominent US nuclear scientists were Hitler’s scientists, or collaborators. So your question to me to name one case, does not give your readers confidence in your college education.

You wrote: “He who gives money for fascists to kill the people is a MURDERER. This is what Alamoudin is doing."

I respond: "Can you substantiate this? Is giving money before the election (if indeed Al Amoudi has done so) the same as financing fascists to kill people after the election. This would be retrospective perception on your part. You come across as a moron than as an educated professional. Oops sorry! I apologize to my readers and the Moderator. I promise I would not do it again.

You asked: “Do you know in one fund raising occasion ONLY Alamoudin gave them 4 million Birr? Do you know what weyane will do with that 4 million Birr? Do you think weyane will buy bread for the hungry with the 4 million Birr? Hey please shut your filthy mouth! Do you know Alamoudin sponsored a dinner party that very day hundreds were shot in cold blood by weyane buchiloch?”

You continued: “Let me tell you about the dinner party at Sheraton at that very day 36 innocent were massacred in a broad day light. Alamoudin sponsored the dinner party for the 15 years old son of Meles Zenawi. He delivered a speech. He said, "all our enemies will perish".

I respond: No, Mr. Professional, I did not know that he gave them 4 million Birr. But I will tell you this. It is his money and he can do what he wants to do with it. No I did not know that Weyane would need Al Amudi’s 4 million birr to kill their opposition. No I did not know Al Amoudi sponsored a dinner party the very day hundreds were shot in cold blood. If he did that it would be a bad judgment, but definitely not illegal. By the way, did you eat dinner the very day the students were killed? I bet you did. Again your statements come across as a clueless third rated political novice than as an enlightened professional. I thought before we call a person an illegal collaborator we would need to proof our allegations. Lies and unsubstantiated rumors do not pass as legitimate alibi. You come across as a moron than as one who understands the very basic principle that people are innocent until proven guilty (Oops I said it again. Sorry I promise I would not do this again).

Speculating my answer you wrote: “I rather imagine you shooting up from your seat and say "[giving money to Meles and throwing a party for his son] is his democratic right. Which version of democracy is your democracy?”

I respond: Wow!!! You are smart enough to anticipate my answer but dumb enough to fail to understand that democracy does not prohibit throwing a party to the son of the Prime Minister, assuming your story is true.

You wrote: “You don't have the time to read books. Sandwich flipping didn't give you enough time to read. You seem to be proud of eating the macdonald garbage.”

I respond: Your Mc Donald is misspelled. You must be one of those who eat at the Four Seasons. The last time I checked Mc Donald does not serve garbage." Your come across as a phony professional and a clueless moron (Oops I made the same mistake again by calling you by your first name, Moron)

I think I rendered you lifeless. Now you can count on Arat Kilo to come to your rescue. Compared to you he is an intellectual giant! I wish you a speedy recovery from this intellectual assault.

I bet you must be sitting on the edge of your bed cursing yourself by saying "why did I start arguing with this *******!" And the thing is I promise I will not read your reply. I will send you a one liner saying "This is to acknowledge that I have read your reply, almost ones."

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Geberdin aka
Cyber Bully

I knew well ahead of time that you love mud slinging instead of a well considered and reasoned response. The funny things that the nore foul languages you used you think the more your argument becomes of more value. Your ignorance is exceeded ONLY by your arrogance. I guess you have a special r'ship with Alamoudi. You know what I mean by "special". Hey, I know you know it for it is the only thing you learned from the American liberalism. Go ahead! you are still within your right. I have no problem with your choice so long as it pleases you. My problem is when you try to pay you "bed-favor" at the expense of the Ethiopian people. Common poor Mammo Qilo, the more you write the more you expose yourself. Now, I need to do more important thing. I give you a lengthy reply tomorrow. Enjoy what mudi gives you in private

Hagre Ethiopia,

You wrote:

"I knew well ahead of time that you love mud slinging instead of a well considered and reasoned response."

I respond: It is intellectually that I rendered you lifeless. The only thing I said is that You come across as a moron than as one who understands the very basic principle that people are innocent until proven guilty.

Here is what your mud slinging: "I guess you have a special r'ship with Alamoudi. You know what I mean by "special". Hey, I know you know it for it is the only thing you learned from the American liberalism. ... My problem is when you try to pay you "bed-favor" at the expense of the Ethiopian people. ... Enjoy what mudi gives you in private"

All who have read my postings by now know that I am conservative Republican and married to one. I think intellectually this cab driver with not much of an education to brag about made your college educated and professionaly employed sould lifeless. I rendered you lifeless. You said you have to ggo somewhere today and you would respond tomorrow. I will wait for your response. I suspect you are reading your dictionary like your fried Arat Kilo. When the likes of you and Arat Kilo are opinion leaders it shows how desperate Ethiopia has become. Good reading of Webster.

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Geberdin aka
Cyber Bully

The skewer not the moderator,
Below, I have reposted what has been deleted by the moderator for reasons of his own. This was a response I made to Matilda, above, to what he has posted about Alamouid looking arab so questioning why he meddles with our country. Readers judge my response intehlight of what Matilda has written about the motive of alamoudi being spreading Islam. I hope the moderators will keep it there this time around to be fiar to me and to the readers.

What if he looked much darker than "most of Ethiopians" like our brothers in the south western part of Ethiopia? Would you have asked "oh no, he looks like Kenyan/Ugandan etc?"I don't think so. I appreciate your gut/level of ignorance to come and post such message but, you didn't say every thing in your heart. Let me tell you the rest. Your problem is not with his look, I would say many of our Ethiopian woomen would say he is a very handsome Ethiopian and die to be with him just for his looks. Why should his look bother you at all? Get it off your chest, Your problem is what the Arab look stands for: His being Muslim. For many of those like you it never occurred to you that there are as many or more black African Muslims as there are Arabs. Just like there are as many Muslims in Ethiopia as there are Christians. Yes, you have difficulty accepting his religion. That is exactly what Mirchaw has been attacking directly and indirectly and that is what you are doing here too.

With due respect to my Christian fellows, I strongly think that many (not all) of these unjustifiable animosity against this man comes from his religious back ground!! Had his name been Haile/Gebre/Wolde...., He wouldn't have suffered all this loath. No, the support that he gave to EPRDF provided an opportunity for those who hate his religion not what he stands for. I say this because in my personal experience I see it is those people who were adamantly against him much earlier than this election who are out to defame and destroy him by every means they have and at any cost to the rest of the people. I am sorry to say this, these are the kind of people who think that our culture of poverty is the best thing to preserve than leaving a space for people like Alamoudi. These are people who really don't care for the people in the real sense. I see that those who have no problem with his religion are not having so much difficulty accepting his choice which they don't like. Very unfortunately, there are many like this guy here whose definition of "Ethiopian" still is those with Semitic origin and Christians. He is among those who are still living with the fantasy that "Ethiopia yekiristian deset nat". You are the kind of people who remind me to seriously question my negative stand against the extremist stands of organizations like OLF. Thank you for that. Don't blame me. If "looks" bother people this much, I wouldn't be surprised if they are much more troubled by genetic make up, religion etc.

For your information, you like it or not, you " Semetic Ethiopians" have that "Arab" blood". Isn't the origin of “Moa Anbessa theemnegede Yihuda” from from Menelik the first who is the son of king Solomon and Queen of sheba of Yemen who settled in Ethiopia?like, Alamoudi's father did. You see, Alamoudi is not only Ethiopian but a "royal family too". Goodih fella engidih min tihon. I think you are a kind who grew up insulting "Ante Islam". That day is gone my friend. I only hope your types are not too many. If so, I really worry about the fate of my country.

Apologies for some generalizations, I am only trying to show the attitude of a certain segment of people, which I am starting to feel are not minorities. I stand to be corrected and listen to what others would say except that guy...
Pls don't try to respond to me. Don't worry he knows himself.

I would be surprised if what Jadu has posted above is removed by Moderator.

Let me say that I am not in agreement with Jadu's generalization. But I have seen more venomus attack and generalizations from some morons on this forum than Jadu's generalization, though in some sectors his generalization fits the bill. Moderator, do you have an explanation or is it what I want goes on my foum. That would sound Melesian.

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Geberdin aka
Cyber Bully

An eductaed fellow Ethiopian who goes by the screen name "Hagere Ethiopia" pulled a Tysons trick on me. He got into a ring to debate with me. When I rendered him intellectually lifeless he bit my ear with his foul mouth. Now he leaves me no option but to declare a unilateral truce. I apologize in public and ask for his foregivness. I have lost to him and I should be forgiven. For those who wish to read our exchange of emails it is posted below. Meanwhile "Hagere Ethiopia" can drink Pepsi. It tastes better than Coke!!!

Here is the message from me to him:

Hagere Ethiopia,

I am truly happy to read your assertion that you are "a professional with a stable life and a solid academic standing." You also said "This is the difference between me and you." This, I suspect, is also true.

I am a Mamo Qilo, not much of an education to brag about. Though I, too, can say I am also a professional cab driver, I suspect I am below you in the corporate food chain. This is the obvious and the inconsequential part of our debate.

But, I hope you would allow me to state what is less obvious, but relevant in our debate. that is, when it comes to understanding world politics, finance, economics, and providing a sound political analysis, this cab driving soul would kick your professional behind in a NY second.

You wrote: "…. Please cite one just one individual who actively assisted with his millions dollars or billions of German mark of the time and yet not prosecuted in a court of law.”

I respond: First thing first! Meles is not Hitler -- their crimes are different both in nature and magnitude. One was involved in genocide the other is engaged in political killings. Even Mengistu who had killed 100 times more people than Meles cannot be compared with Hitler. The second, and probably most important, point is that persecution in the court of law requires establishing a legal case in a civilized manner within the parameters of the law. It is not to be based on innuendos, rumors and stupid arguments; such as Al Amoudi's motive is to spread Islam, as if this is a crime. Have you seen one message on this forum that has established and substantiated any criminal act or even intent to commit crime on Al Amoudi’s part? If you are as enlightened as you would like to tell us, you would know that some of the most prominent US nuclear scientists were Hitler’s scientists, or collaborators. So your question to me to name one case, does not give your readers confidence in your college education.

You wrote: “He who gives money for fascists to kill the people is a MURDERER. This is what Alamoudin is doing."

I respond: "Can you substantiate this? Is giving money before the election (if indeed Al Amoudi has done so) the same as financing fascists to kill people after the election. This would be retrospective perception on your part. You come across as a moron than as an educated professional. Oops sorry! I apologize to my readers and the Moderator. I promise I would not do it again.

You asked: “Do you know in one fund raising occasion ONLY Alamoudin gave them 4 million Birr? Do you know what weyane will do with that 4 million Birr? Do you think weyane will buy bread for the hungry with the 4 million Birr? Hey please shut your filthy mouth! Do you know Alamoudin sponsored a dinner party that very day hundreds were shot in cold blood by weyane buchiloch?”

You continued: “Let me tell you about the dinner party at Sheraton at that very day 36 innocent were massacred in a broad day light. Alamoudin sponsored the dinner party for the 15 years old son of Meles Zenawi. He delivered a speech. He said, "all our enemies will perish".

I respond: No, Mr. Professional, I did not know that he gave them 4 million Birr. But I will tell you this. It is his money and he can do what he wants to do with it. No I did not know that Weyane would need Al Amudi’s 4 million birr to kill their opposition. No I did not know Al Amoudi sponsored a dinner party the very day hundreds were shot in cold blood. If he did that it would be a bad judgment, but definitely not illegal. By the way, did you eat dinner the very day the students were killed? I bet you did. Again your statements come across as a clueless third rated political novice than as an enlightened professional. I thought before we call a person an illegal collaborator we would need to proof our allegations. Lies and unsubstantiated rumors do not pass as legitimate alibi. You come across as a moron than as one who understands the very basic principle that people are innocent until proven guilty (Oops I said it again. Sorry I promise I would not do this again).

Speculating my answer you wrote: “I rather imagine you shooting up from your seat and say "[giving money to Meles and throwing a party for his son] is his democratic right. Which version of democracy is your democracy?”

I respond: Wow!!! You are smart enough to anticipate my answer but dumb enough to fail to understand that democracy does not prohibit throwing a party to the son of the Prime Minister, assuming your story is true.

You wrote: “You don't have the time to read books. Sandwich flipping didn't give you enough time to read. You seem to be proud of eating the macdonald garbage.”

I respond: Your Mc Donald is misspelled. You must be one of those who eat at the Four Seasons. The last time I checked Mc Donald does not serve garbage." Your come across as a phony professional and a clueless moron (Oops I made the same mistake again by calling you by your first name, Moron)

I think I rendered you lifeless. Now you can count on Arat Kilo to come to your rescue. Compared to you he is an intellectual giant! I wish you a speedy recovery from this intellectual assault.

I bet you must be sitting on the edge of your bed cursing yourself by saying "why did I start arguing with this *******!" And the thing is I promise I will not read your reply. I will send you a one liner saying "This is to acknowledge that I have read your reply, almost ones."

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Geberdin aka
Cyber Bully

Here is his answer:

I knew well ahead of time that you love mud slinging instead of a well considered and reasoned response. …I guess you have a special r'ship with Alamoudi. You know what I mean by "special". .... I have no problem with your choice so long as it pleases you. My problem is when you try to pay you "bed-favor" at the expense of the Ethiopian people. …. Enjoy what mudi gives you in private

I am asking for mercy.

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Geberdin aka
Cyber Bully

I think we already abandon this type of arguements. Deviating from the main issue and trying to impose our idea on others. Unless our point is not accepted or got critics, will continue argueing whatever it is disregarding our main issue. Don't you think it is selfish and self centered atitude.
This type of arguments have been made in the past and it is one of the main causes of our failurity. It is a kind of communist style. Let us compromise things and if it hurts our main goal, we must stop it and come back to our main issue, the woyane and co.

Email: abera@hotmail.com

Dear hagere ethiopia,

Since mamo has the temerity to promise that he won't read your reply, please allow me to respond to you instead. You might say I am an individual, who can't stand his compatriots not getting a response.

Your lattest comment is uncalled for and immature for a professional like yourself. Ignoring most of the garbage, you wrote:" The funny things the nore foul languages....." You must have misunderstood the word moron. Moron is not a foul language. It means ~ very stupid. Considering your earlier comments I must admit I have to agree with mamo Quilo.

Regarding your June 25th 9:35 comment, let me say this. Some of it may be repeatative. So bear with me, please. First of all, comparing Hitler with meles, and Holocaust with the atrocities by EPRDF is stretching it. Doing that will only weaken your argument and lessen your credebility. Ich glaube sie haben keine ahnung ueber die "Holocaust".

You wrote:" please cite one......not prosecuted in a court of law." It is you who asked:" Do you know those who were directly or indirectly..... prosecuted in a court of law?" Therefore, the burden of proof is entirely on you.

You wrote:" Let me tell you about the dinner..... He said " all our enemies will perish"". If this is the case, why didn't you tell it on your June 23rd comment? After the veracity of your quoted statement is ascertained, your whole comment would have been more convincing. If you acquired this knowledge after that date, you could have tried to convince mamo in a civil manner instead of insults.

common sense, character, reason and understanding the principle of democracy can not be acquired by being a professional.

I think we already abandon this type of arguements. Deviating from the main issue and trying to impose our idea on others. Unless our point is not accepted or got critics, will continue argueing whatever it is disregarding our main issue. Don't you think it is selfish and self centered atitude.
This type of arguments have been made in the past and it is one of the main causes of our failurity. It is a kind of communist style. Let us compromise things and if it hurts our main goal, we must stop it and come back to our main issue, the woyane and co.

Mamo,
Which section does fit your bill? It is unlike you not to argue on points. what happened here? Is it something so sensitive to make the "most civil" debator to loose his emotions? If that is so, I wouldn't be surprised if the moderator did what he did. May I ask you to give me your response to "Does the lion of Judah, affecting the opposition's image?", I posted in another thread? Give me reason why my acknowledgement of the generalization I made on this posting bounced back? Wasn't that what I said? How are you different from the "moderators" you criticized if you find it difficult to open up on issues which doesn't please you. It is also OK with me If you tell me that you aren't interested in such a topic and give me the reason why? Perhaps, you may as well tell us the topics you consider as taboos, here as the moderators seem to have some. I have tried to show the relevance of the subject to the current situation. I expect more than this from you. Don't fail me.
By the way all this is an effort to explore where I stand and where others stand so that I may push it any further see it from a different angle.
One last question to you. Did you come across with people strongly against Alamoudi before this election? If your answer is yes, can you share with us what their reasons were? I have come across with many who fail to give any reason at all. when I see people like the other guy and some more in this forum, I have come with the above conclusion for lack of any better explanation.
Prove me wrong please. That is what I am demanding from participants.

Why dont we leave Sheike Alamoodi alone. This guy owe our country so much we would not be able to pay him back. His only sin is excersising his right as an individual to support EPRDF. Had he been supported CUD, he would have been considered as a hero. I thought all this election thing is to bring freedom to speak, to support, elect etc... If not why do we need change for? We have to change " you are with me or against me" thinking. Please people change this attitude of making a simple thing blow out of proprtion to make it a big deal.

Email: hopester@yahoo.com

City: usa

Hopester,
You wrote "...This guy owe our country so much..."
Does he?
Well, better some one tell him to pay!
Tell him pay pranto!

If he owe our country, as you put it, then we do not need to pay him a penny!

I want to add, that he owe the country an appology too!
Add that on the tap!
Arat-kilo

Dear Mamo,
To make an anology to your fair and candid interpretation of Al Hamodi, I have to compare the recent emotional evocation of socalled Ethiopian elitiest and how they are playing in the mind of working and middle class Ethiopian in Diaspora. To say the least, it is not the degree and Ph.D that will make you to solve some problem, but it is your courage, honest and analysis of the issue at hand and the answer. So far I do not know Mr. Mamo, but I found out that your writing is better than professor and Ph.D students. I jsut read your line of thinking and do you know that I have decided not to use the word Amhara after I read your comments. That is what we call intellectual, but not a man who posts several degree in his office.
Moreover, those who are undermining the meaning of your word, are training in the mindset of not seeing thing in different perspective.
Thanks your healthy analysis of Al Hamoudi case.

Email: shirdons@yahoo.com

City: Washington DC

Hej Jadu,
What is your problem? forget about that subject/about Moudi's look. we are done.I just said that the post is for fun. Don't just be boring!
Regards
Matilda
I am not gonna reply to you

To be fair it is not only the Sheik that has to condmend. We have here in the states another millioneer by the name Solomon Bekele supporting the oppostion with their colorless revolution. They are accusing each other for starting it. However, by Sheik's standard Solomon's finacial history seems impressive and transparent. He built his empire starting as cab man.

“A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes”
Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Dear Sir, Sereke Berhane message is thoughtful and restrained. However, Sheikh Al-Amoudi has every right to support or oppose any political party. It is his democratic right and universal privilege! The hysterical and unmitigated vile and vitriolic lies directed at him and his friends by some individuals are unwarranted and wrong.

The malicious foul language is startling and saddening! I am taken aback by these individuals’ caliber for cruelty, vindictiveness and xenophobic malice! They are demanding loyalties over choices. They want to mobilize the people to fight over crumbs rather than collaborative effort to increase the pie!

The Sheikh has invested billion of dollars in major and diverse industries throughout Ethiopia. These investments have generated significant employment, foreign currency revenues and domestic savings. The substantial investments have improved the country’s infrastructure, increased industrial outputs including manufactured goods and services. He has built state of the art pharmaceutical complex, leather factories, gold mines and marble quarries. The medical products support some of the needs of Ethiopia; while, the high quality leathers, gold bars and marbles that exported to Europe and Middle East generate badly needed foreign currencies. The world-class hotel built and owned by him in Addis Ababa has been instrumental stopping the move of African Union and Economic Commission (ECA) else where in African city!

Accordingly, his investments have made him the largest private employer in the country. These have alleviated the living conditions for thousands of people and have created a good size middle class with ample disposable income. It has contributed significantly to the local economic growth. A man of this stature and wealth needs to be encouraged publicly to continue investing in his motherland. However, the repulsive and revolting verbal abuses volleyed at him are unjustifiable.

If truth to be told, even the opposing parties should encourage him to continue investing in Ethiopia. They should speak out and discourage the hatred and resentment aimed at him. They should demonstrate their political vision and strategy, leadership qualities and business acumen by sharing with him their economic program and foreign direct investment initiatives. This will improve the poisonous climate hanging over the country. I hope it also encourages him to continue investing in his motherland dear to him

Objectively, some of his investments in Ethiopia are altruistic and do not make investment sense, (from risk and reward benchmarks). He knows it to! Still, he insists and always says, “I invest in my mother’s country with my heart.” Sheikh Al-Amoudi investment portfolio and holding are massive and crisscross the world. He has access and warmly welcomed with rolled-out red carpet ceremonies and lavish receptions in several countries. In the global competitive environment, astute governments are creating sound foreign direct investment policies around the golden triumvirate of world class (concept, competence and connections) to make everything easy and lucrative for investors like him. It is absurd and regrettable that some individuals treat him as a pariah and deserter for his transparent political point of view.

It is also heart breaking to watch the pestering and provocations, while he takes so much unsubstantiated innuendo. I am amazed with his patient and resilience. I would have advised him to cut his losses, toss the keys out and walk away from it all! Unfortunately, this will hurt the wrong people, the hard working Ethiopian families that rely on his investments and continuous support. One should respect his decency and willingness to put up with these deceits and shenanigans for the love of Ethiopia.

God bless him!

City: Cambridge, MA

Live free or die!

Terbu S Rasta,
O! boy!
What a huge financial power you are bowing to!
And what a powerful influence he has on you and a lot more!
What a power that is used to hold minds of people like you!

Let me ask you, are you showing all these power to tell us to surrender and live under a dictator!
Is this a subliminal message to tell us we better of with Meles?

What if people choose to live free or die?
What is the huge impressive resume you submitted on his behalf is considered so minute compared to their freedom and is rejected by the people?

All we are saying is let us follow the Ethiopian people's heartbeat!
The people have rebuked him, and so we do the same!
No amount of money will override people's will.
Freedom is not for sale!
Live free or die!
Arat-kilo

Hi Matilda,
I reposted the "Arab look" issue because your posting here about Alamoudi's intention of spreading Islam in Ethiopia which you didn't mention during the "Arab Look" posting has confirmed to me that your problem wan't his "arab look" but what the look stands for: His being Muslim. I have come to this conclusion because you can't bring a single evidence to support your claims that he is spreading Islam in Ethiopia. I just wonder how you and many of your likes would have reacted had he been truly supporting the spread of Islam which again is his "democratic right" which unfortunaltely none of your likes here seem to have any clue at all.

My friend, I am a muslim and I and at least 50% of the Ethiopian people aren't scared of the spread of Islam in Ethiopia, just like half of the rest of Ethiopians like to see christianity spreading. You see, you don't even have a clue that you are speaking against the interest of 50% of Ethiopians when you are posting your fabricated and damaging allegations. As I mentioned in that thread, the biggest problem of people like you is that you don't have an insight about your disease: "my way or no way" syndrome.

I have read a story in one of the news media recently (it is not alubalta) that a US based church group is collecting money to build 1000 churches for born again christians in Ethiopia, mainly in the south western part of Ethiopia. I am sorry I don't recall the exact source. How do you expect an Ethiopian muslim to see things when An "American based" organization spending millions to do nothing but promote certain religion is considered OK, but an Ethiopian Muslim investing billions and employing thousands in Ethiopia is being condemned for "spreading Islam".

My friend, don't tell me about the "Akrari Islam thing", it is something worse than "neftegna" rhetoric of Ethiopian politics.

I really appreaciate your honesty to say what you said how ever unsubstantiated and false your claim may be. what I am challenging people here is is that your attitude isn't an exception. What makes it rare is that others try to find some other excuse to attack anything against that religion or its symbol. Very unfortuantely they too are entangled in the net of lack of insght about their disease.

If you bring it, I will tell you what Alamoudi does to Ethiopian muslims. As a symbol he has given some form of recognition to the contirubtion of muslims in the socoieconomic and political sphere in that country. Next to the most distorted story about Ahmed giragn, Alamoudi is the most talked about and prominenet muslim public figure in Ethiopia, never. Just do soem excercis e and ask your self? do you know of any. It wasn't because there weren't any, it was because they have been swallowed by ruthless attacks like what you are doing here now.

Yes, I can tell you that many muslim Ethiopians think that the days for seeing a muslim PM or president isn't very far. A bitter truth to many unfotunately!!

What about CUD parlaimen elect, HE Mr. Bedru Adem for president?
best wishes,
Jadu

I have one question to his exellency Shike Mohammed Hussien Al-Alamoudi-as a filthy rich capitalist,is it "revolutionary democracy" or liberal democracy which is closer to you?

City: Nairobi

To all,
Moudi’s religion has nothing to do with what I am writing and has been writing!

I am for an individual who happen to be Muslim to be a President or PM in Ethiopia!
I am for Muslim brothers and sisters to take high offices or accomplish any dream they have!
But I am against any individual who support Meles Zenawi, for he is a criminal!
Any one who is associated with a criminal (like Meles) will not be given any right, for a criminal has no right!
The only right a criminal has is to stand a trial!

I have said it before and will say it again; Moudi still has a chance to get in touch with the people of Ethiopia.
He should not associate himself with the massacre!
He has to apologize to the people of Ethiopia!
How hard is it to apologize!
How hard is it to distance himself from the killer!
Just because he is rich he can't apologize?
Let someone tell him that money can't cover your deeds, come on out and be humble and apologize!
That is all!
Arat-kilo

Dear Arat Kilo,

After Greetings,

You are amazing!

It never occurs to me by stating the obvious and presenting the facts will render me as an advocate for Meles, subliminally. You make serious statements, irresponsibly! Your assertion and libeling are so pungent and exculpatory; it obviates the need for any answer.

You defend your subject with vague reasoning and flimsy evidences. It is deeply flawed and twisted as a day old pretzel! You assert dangerous extrapolation from the individual to the political but your personal declaration undermines the cause. You have uninformed imagination which enjoys roaming and labeling people right and left. Scandalizing someone by accretion and rumors are reckless, brutish and short!

Terbu S Rasta

PS: Ato Mamo Kilo, please join the fray.

City: Cambridge, MA

This sounds a speech for his honorary doctoral given to him by AA univercity. The anti-sheik group seems not impressed by a meer rehotheric. They are bold enough to demand detail financial statment of the sheik empire.What is this emron fever?I think the target is not Sheik the person as such but those who abused his good fortune for their political gain.He is a good hearted man who can produce people who speaks on his behalf. Who are we to accuse him for letting people worship in a mobile 40 ft container any way?.

Terbu S Rasta,

Read your own message lately?

It says:
"You ....
You ....
you ....

PS: Mamo please help me!"

Come one Terub! (or whatever your name is)
Can't come up with something beter than accusing and insulting me, whom you never met?
Did you run out of logical response?
Well, Mamo will tell you how to get out!
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOps!, eh! Sorry, he is still in the box!
Arat-kilo

After Greetings,

You are amazing!

It never occurs to me by stating the obvious and presenting the facts will render me as an advocate for Meles, subliminally. You make serious statements, irresponsibly! Your assertion and libeling are so pungent and exculpatory; it obviates the need for any answer.

You defend your subject with vague reasoning and flimsy evidences. It is deeply flawed and twisted as a day old pretzel! You assert dangerous extrapolation from the individual to the political but your personal declaration undermines the cause. You have uninformed imagination which enjoys roaming and labeling people right and left. Scandalizing someone by accretion and rumors are reckless, brutish and short!

Terbu S Rasta

PS: Ato Mamo Kilo, please join the fray.