Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Countering the Governments PR Campaign

May I ask the permission of the Moderator to start a new thread to separate discussion on what should the opposition parties, primarily CUD and UEDF do. This is to separate this timely and relevant issue from the discussion (in my view a futile exercise) focused on proving the readiness of the opposition to take power and efforts underway to push the creation of a shadow government to the fore.

May I also ask the Moderator to closely moderate this thread so that people would not engage diatribe and meaningless rants? It would also be nice if Moderator could organize an electronic conference. It would be nice if we can have Dr. Marara and Berhanu take part in it from Brussels. We can pose some questions to them and may be even throw a suggestion or two.

I would like to recommend that this thread should focus on what the opposition should do to publicize and push its agenda forward, with the objective of (a) countering the governments moves designed to stay in power, (b) redirecting the oppositions compass to what is relevant and dispelling misconceptions (c) assuring both the national and international public that if and when it takes power it would be a stabilizing power that would work even more to stabilize the horn of Africa, and (d) to explore areas of compromise and or cooperation with the current government to ensure a peaceful transfer of power, if indeed the opposition proves to have won the election.

Ato Mitiku Addisu said it very well and succinctly when he wrote: “Sustained proactive stance is what the moment demands. And in this regard, time is of the essence.” He continued to write: “In image-conscious world, relevance depends on capturing the imagination of the public. The incumbents understand this so well that that they have mounted an effective public relations campaign. The opposition could not afford to do any thing less.” I strongly believe that the opposition needs to use the down time until July 8 to build confidence both at home and abroad.

The government, no doubt, is capitalizing on the opposition’s weakness or lack of proactive actions in public relations campaign. Grant you that part of this inability to launch an effective PR campaign is a result of the ongoing brutal suppression by the government. One thing is obvious. The government is using its PR so effectively and its assault has been allowed to stand without any concerted and coherent reply, leave alone countered by a sustained proactive PR. If the opposition is to counter the government’s concerted national and international campaign to discredit CUD in particular, it must find a way to step up its PR. Its support group in Europe and USA can fill this void if they are given directions and instructions.

The government’s PR at home and abroad centers on three areas (a) it would destabilize the country by radically revising a constitution, particularly Article 39 that has brought about stability in the last 14 years. And (b) if CUD take power it would start war with Eritrea -- look at the deliberate effort to avoid naming UEDF -- it would destabilize the country by revising the constitution so radically, particularly Article 39, that has brought about stability in the last 14 years.

Let us address the first point. The governments campaign on the issue of federalism/nationality question seems to resonate well with the international community and also with part of the national populace. Birmadummaa Jirruu wrote: The opposition has “failed to address the nations nationalities question. No program at all. Not only that, it deliberately avoids the topic.” Bulcha echoed a similar sentiment, though with strong language and a bit of cynical twist. I must say that the opposition’s failure to tactfully address this issue is a very poor political miscalculation.

Let us also be clear that the apparent CUD/UEDF success is partly the result of the people’s general rejection of EPRDF. In that sense the suggestion put forth by some on this discussion forum that what we saw is a protest vote has some merits. My view is that the opposition should come out and assure both the national and international public that it would not revise or change the constitution, particularly Article 39. Changing Article 39 at this stage has no meaning. Let me take it one more step. It would be plenty stupid to do that at this time. It is a moot issue. Not even Meles would allow secession (ask OLF and some of the Somali Liberation fronts). Given international terrorism and US’s determination to fight it, fragmentation of nations to smaller nationalities is the last thing that the international community would allow, particularly in our part of the globe. We also have so many critical and timely issues to tackle. So why try to kill what is already dead and buried in the pages of the very constitution that it was born from when there are other issues to focus on. True the opposition has not said it would revise the constitution, but it has allowed the issue to be exploited by the government. And its lack of clear agenda and action plan has left many Ethiopians who sympathize with the nationality question puzzled. True, the opposition may have run on the platform opposing the ethnicization of regions. It is one thing to use a political agenda during the election time and it is another to form and run a government. It is a common practice in the US, for example, to run on a certain platform, and move away from it immediately after the election. It is super stupid not to do that.

The second issue is war with Eritrea. Meles is effectively using this to discredit the opposition, particularly at the international arena. Why is the opposition afraid to come out in public and take a proactive stand by declaring that it would not engage in war with Eritrea? It should stress that its priority is economic development and poverty alleviation. And the next five years would be time for stabilizing the country and building the foundations of sound economy and democratic institutions. This is critical in terms of building the confidence of the international community. The Eritrea issue is a very sensitive issue for the international public. The international community is afraid that Eritrea is tittering at the brink of collapse. Any unfriendly government can push it into total collapse ala Somalia. A collapsed Eritrea would be a hotbed for terrorists, given its proximity with Sudan Yemen, Saudi Arabia and Djibouti.

The third issue is the opposition’s failure to use its popular economic agenda. Both the national and international public is strongly against Meles’s economic agenda. The opposition should use this as its primary PR stealth weapon in the PR war against the government. A person by a screen name “He” wrote: that “the focus should be on the Press law, liberalization of the economy, including privatization of land, privatization of telecommunication, etc. These are all popular and would get strong support both from the national and international community.” Amen! Can someone tell CUD/UEDF?

Tizebt posted an interesting piece with a pregnant thought. He/She wrote: “Something came across my mind, what if EPRDF is also included in forming the coalition government for the transition period and if the cabinet can be formed from members of CUD, UEDF, EPRDF and other winners.” It is an area that needs to be explored in the interest of moving forward without further blood shade.

Her thought is countered by Thewodros’s message that read: “Then a kind of well thought and systematic move…say ‘everybody to clean its surrounding from Woyane so as to clean Ethiopia…or???...and how can this be done without direct involvement of CUD/UEDF?” Any taker?

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Geberdin

Email: mamoqilo@yahoo.com

Re: Countering the Governments PR Campaign

Mamo Qilo-

We all know the resent killings and the continuous intimidation going on in Ethiopia by Meles is to destroy the opposition party's PR system and spread his on false propaganda. I am pretty sure these smart intellectual opposition party leaders are aware of the situation. But they are controlled and muzzled by this tyrant. It seems to me Mamo Qillo, you know the US political system very well; instead of saying the opposition party should do this and that, why don’t you contact them and participate for the sake of our brothers and sisters who have been killed and for those being torture. Please use your talent to be their PR in US. I am proud of you. I hope you participate, before it is too late!!!

May the God/Allah Bless our country Ethiopia.

Yes, TPLF is now actively engaged in its divide and rule strategy targeting CUD and UEDF. Their current effort appears to create a wedge between the two. That is why I would say, the first thing that they should be doing is to strengthen the partnership between the two parties. For me that is the biggest tool to foil the disinformation campaign. Their level of cooperation should be raised to a higher level than it is now. I would say that the two parties should be working together as one in everything that needs to be addressed now may be even having one spokesperson.

With regards to addressing the major issues of concern to Ethiopians and the international community, I would say the best way would be to develop a joint five year development plan as EPRDF did. On it, the two should clearly show what constitutional issues they would and they wouldn't be rising in the next five years. They should also show the major legislations they will be introducing and what practical steps they will take to assure the stability of the region and the county. It is also worth to show in their five year plan how they will be working with EPRDF and the existing system. Most importantly, I would suggest that it should show that they will be forgiving not vengeful governments.

One needs to create fanfare and attract the attention of international media and disseminate this as widely as possible.

Last but not least, I am now convinced that the opposition is almost cut off from the public. All the focus should then be to regain that link. I think considering that the struggle may continue long after May 8, It may be wise to consider creating and strengthening informal links and networks through out the country which may be out of reach from the security apparatus.

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

Friends,

May be the most important issue at hand is how to avert violence and how to strike a delicate balance between respecting the wish of the people and while maintaining peace and security in the country.

May be this forum can pick three or four individuals to prepare a draft along the line Ato Mamo Qilo and the others, including Dr. Getachew Begashaw have proposed in a different thread. It is important that the draft should be carefully designed and presented to show a way forward.

respectfully,

T. Tessema

Email: ttessema34@yahoo.com

The Ethiopian people are the ultimate judges on their destiny not Europeans or USA;

I read the posted article with great interest although I am terribly disappointed on the motives,contents and reasonings of the writtings.
To begin with; how can CUD and UEDF assure the Ethiopians public that they wouldnt not revise Article 39 on the constitution after all that is what they were campaigning for? Or to put it in another word, as you yourself has said it ”the election results show that the majority of the people do not like Ethnic politics..that is why CUD and UEDF racked the votes ” and in your opinion should the parties resume the very ethnic policy that the public has rejected to demonstrate their capability of leadership (what an irony?)? And in that case what would make CUD and UEDF different and for that matter even better than EPRDF/TPLF?

And what is the meaning of democracy and representation if we ”from tactical and strategic point of views” let elected representatives to side the peoples voice and choice while pursuing a hidden agenda? What makes you believe that CUD and UEDF would be elected again after their five years cool-off adventure that ignores the peoples concern? And dont also forget that raising such issues is not only their tactical move but also their obligation and duty as representative of the people who clearly and squerely opposed to such policies. The should come up with an alternative..yes I agree but this alternative shouldnt be less than
In my opinion the greatest challenges and a dangerious reality that is casing over the countries future araises from the misfortunately quoted and spelled paragraph on Article 39 and as you have also said it and the absence of any supporting(complementing) realities at home and internationally to realise it. Today the problem and the challenge the country faces from sussessionist partys such as OLF, organisations in Somalia and Ogaden is attributed to this fact. Why write it when you dont believe in it? Why say it if you dont mean it?

As you have mentioned it on your other posted message with the same theme ”not even Meles would allow secession ..Given international terrorism and US’s determination to fight it, fragmentation of nations to smaller nationalities is the last thing that the international community would allow, particularly in our part of the globe” then dont you think its high time instead that the partys campaign on revocation of the phrase out of the constitution as long as the peoples wish and choice is so?

And to remind you , surrendering is not disarming an enemy. You are calling the partys to hand over their weapon to the enemy in return for the enemy to write their name on the winners list…wired?!

In my opinion you seems you have lost the core matter of the issue here. In times of difficulty and challenges, a leadership quality is tested in its ability to stick on what it believes and on its way to demonstrate clearly where it stands. This is the kind of leadership that any one at home or abroad wants to see from the opposition leaders not bargain their principles and most of all the peoples trust and vote to secure a chair. For that EPRDF is doing a good job.

A strong and well deliberated information campaign is needed from the opposition partys regarding such issues in confirming that they wouldnt bargain the peoples choice and they will stand by their principle with or without a chair. They should clearly and unambigiously state they would raise the peoples concern on any issue of concern and importance with no compromise within the international and national legal boundary and a promise to peace. It is only then that they prove themselves to be crediable and represent, unlike EPRDF and all the regimes before it, a jenuine voice of the ethiopian people. Insuring the world and the people that the oppostion partys wont commit a grain of the countries resource to a distractable investment be it war with Ereateria or internal conflict is not by adopting the EPRDFs manifesto but explaining itself that unless those issues are resolved in line with the interest and wish of the people sooner or later the fire we struggle to stop from igniting will break out and whenit do so it would be very difficult to control it. They have to make them selves cleare that Article 39 is meaning less from both the national and international context and should be revoked now and immediately. And every single minute that passes delaying the action has a consequence very difficult to bear tomorrow.

To sum it up with this writting I would like to challenge your understanding about democracy and the purpose of an elected representation system in one country while you are campaigning the parties to be accounted not to the peoples who elected them but other brokers who could bargain their way out to authority? For that matter I would like to ask you put us forward your believe in the power of the people to dispose any power the supresses them and which you think is the most appropriate way to come to power; leaning on the people or brokers? I would like to question your understanding of leadership while you call for the partys to surrender and adopt the manifesto of the very organisation that they disagree with and ralley a mass protest on the election in a bid to secure power? What do you mean when you say a time of cool-off while we are faced with a dangerious and difficult choice..who and how could rest before even the job strted to be kicked off? Dont you think the ethiopian people would reject them with out any hesitation even if they secure their chair through the brokers and fails to push the peoples choice and concern under all legal and peacful means in the next round of election or are they gonna play the kind of EPRDFs play ”I know better for you, considering the public ignorant and only and only them to be the wise men?”
I appreciate raising the issue for discussion but as far as I can see the direction you suggest is undigested and contrary to all democratic principle and society that we wished to create in the country. I think the Partys should be more bold on those issues and face and convince both the people at home(which the job is almost done) and the international brokers with their commited stands. We should decide our destny by our selves. We can not serve the people with their at most need and necessities if we are ready to compromise their choice and will for the sake of coming to power. After all is not this the same thing that brought us all to fight against EPRDF,a question needed to be answered?

Email: Beniam_w@hotmail.com

Federalism and nationality question

I found Mamo Quilo's countering Government's PR campaign very timely.The opposition is under massive repression.The tone of the News from home is changing.EPRDF/Meles is launching country wide systematic open and clindestine mass arrest,arbitrary killings,and house to house hunting of opposition supporters in cities and rural Ethiopia.Everyday they are scaling up the terror campaign.Like the time of Derg/Mengestu people are missing every where.Under this circumstances the task of the opposition leaders is highly compromised.It is a big blow to party functioning.I won't be surprised if they are totally disorganised.Two third of their staff is imprisoned.Their movement is watched,internet is disconnected.Their office is probably bugged and telephone intercepted.They are overwhelmed by day to day task.They are waging a peaceful struggle with violent enemy.I hope they will appreciate any support that they may get from any one.They need to contact/ recruit and use people like Mamo.

I have some thing to say on Federalism and Nationality issue.Unless dealt with properly with political correctness and sensitivity,it can be divisive.I don't think federalism is a threat to Ethiopian unity.Once Aklilu Habtewold (Haile Sillase foreign minster)suggested federalism to Ethiopian Somali land and he was against the anexation of Eritrea according to Zewde Reta on his book "Ye-ertra Tiyake".The opposition, I think has made its stand clear.They suggested Referendum on the issue of article 39.Ethiopia is a land of multiple minorities and if there is true democracy, it is impossible for any one ethnic group to form a government with out alliance with the others.The problem in Ethiopia is not the ethnic federalism that is introduced.It is the reason why it has become the favoured choice of EPRDF and lack of true federalism.It is Ok for every one to be proud of his heritage with out hegimony.No place what so ever for superiorty of one over the other.We need to build a nation based on tolerance,equality and freedom.We need to reassure each other too.we should be concerned with Tigreans about Badme,with Sidamas about the killings in Awassa,With Gambella people about the killing in Gambela and the oromos for about 13 years of selective ethnic perscution by EPRDF.Other wise where is our unity?

War with Eritrea or any other neighbouring country should not be an option but the last resort to resolve issues of territorial integrity and sovereignty of Ethiopia.This is equally important issue we have to deal with any time any where.The ultimate solution is a strong nationalist and democratic government in Ethiopia which stands for the national interest of Ethiopia.

Email: Alemb2@yahoo.com

The Ethiopian people are the ultimate judges on their destiny not Europeans or USA;

I read the posted article with great interest although I am terribly disappointed on the motives,contents and reasonings of the writtings.
To begin with; how can CUD and UEDF assure the Ethiopians public that they wouldnt not revise Article 39 on the constitution after all that is what they were campaigning for their election?

Or to put it in another word, as you yourself has said

”the election results show that the majority of the people do not like Ethnic politics..and that is why CUD and UEDF racked the votes ”

how do the parties resume the very ethnic policy that the public has rejected to demonstrate their competence on leadership (what an irony?)? And in that case what would make CUD and UEDF different and for that matter even better than EPRDF/TPLF?

And what is the meaning of democracy and a parlamentarian system if we ”from tactical and strategic point of views” let elected representatives to side the peoples voice and choice while pursuing a hidden agenda? What makes you believe that CUD and UEDF would be elected again after their five years cool-off adventure that ignores the peoples concern?It is the people that set the agenda and the the party should make it heared immidiately and with out delay. And dont also forget that raising those issues unlke your arguments is not only their tactical and strategic act but also fullfillment to their obligation and duty as representative of the people who clearly and squerely opposed and underlined to the eradicating such ethnic policies.

In my opinion the greatest challenges and a dangerious reality that is casing over the countries future araises from the misfortunately quoted and spelled paragraph on Article 39. And as you have also mentioned it the absence of any supporting(complementing) realities at local level and internationally to realise and it is the parties effective weapon to fire on and demolish the dangerious and out dated EPRDF Scessionist policy embodied in Article 39. Today the delicate problem and the stiff challenge that the country faces from suscessionist partys such as OLF, organisations in Somalia and Ogaden is an attribution to this fact. Why write it when you dont believe in it? Why say it if you dont mean it?

As you have mentioned it ”not even Meles would allow secession ..Given international terrorism and US’s determination to fight it, fragmentation of nations to smaller nationalities is the last thing that the international community would allow, particularly in our part of the globe” then dont you think its high time instead that the partys campaign on revocation of the phrase out of the constitution now and immediately especially on the face of this extraordinary support to it by the people?

And to remind you , surrendering is not disarming an enemy!!!! You are calling the partys to hand over their weapon to the enemy in return for the enemy to write their name on the winners list..to serv whose purpose,not atleast certainly the people?!

In my opinion you seems you have lost the core matter of the issue here.

In times of difficulty and challenges, a leadership quality is tested in its ability to stick on what it believes and on its way to demonstrate clearly where it stands. This is the kind of leadership that any one at home or abroad wants to see from the opposition leaders not to see them bargain their principles and most of all the peoples trust and vote to secure a chair. For that EPRDF have done a good job and is still commited to it. I as an ethiopian is not my wish to see CUD to be another EPRDF with a different name but with the same liability(deliberation).

Instead;
a strong and well deliberated information campaign is needed from the opposition partys regarding these issues to make clear any possible doubts and confusions. They should also come forward and verify unmistakably their stated commitment and position that they wouldnt bargain the peoples choice and they will remain to stand by their principle with or without a chair. And they have to ofcourse underline to the international odience that they will put in force the peoples demand with out any compromise barely(only) within the bounderies of international and the countrys laws, a promise to peace and good will. It is only then that they prove themselves to be crediable and represent, unlike EPRDF and all the regimes that preceded it, a jenuine voice of the ethiopian people.

Adopting the EPRDFs manifesto is not by any means a "strategic and a tactical view" to ensure (guarantee) the world and the fellow citizens that the oppostion partys wont consign a grain of the countries limited resource on a distructable investment; be it war with Eritearia or internal tribal conflict.

However by justifying and rationalising the immediate need to weigh the deep concern that the people enfold on the ultimately dangerious cenario that is evolving because of these unpopular ethnic policies on the constitution, the party should convince it is of the interest of the country, the region around it and the world at large to act up on it sooner than later in line with the people wish. Thus,Article 39 is meaningless both on the national and international context and should be retracted now and immediately. And every single minute that passes delaying the invalidation of this unpolpular article has tomorrow a serious consequence very difficult to forfeit.

To sum it up with this writting I would like to challenge your understanding about democracy and the purpose of an elected representation system in one country while you are campaigning the parties to be accounted not to the peoples who elected them but other brokers who could bargain their way out to authority? For that matter I would like to ask you put us forward your believe in the power of the people to dispose any power the supresses them and which you think is the most appropriate way to come to power; leaning on the people or brokers? I would like to question your understanding of leadership while you call for the partys to surrender and adopt the manifesto of the very organisation that they disagree with and ralley a mass protest on the election in a bid to secure power? What do you mean when you say a time of cool-off while we are faced with a dangerious and difficult choice..who and how could rest before even the job strted to be kicked off? Dont you think the ethiopian people would reject them with out any hesitation even if they secure their chair through the brokers and fails to push the peoples choice and concern under all legal and peacful means in the next round of election or are they gonna play the kind of EPRDFs play ”I know better for you, considering the public ignorant and only and only them to be the wise men?”
I appreciate raising the issue for discussion but as far as I can see the direction you suggest is undigested and contrary to all democratic principle and society that we wished to create in the country. I think the Partys should be more bold on those issues and face and convince both the people at home(which the job is almost done) and the international brokers with their commited stands. We should decide our destny by our selves. We can not serve the people with their at most need and necessities if we are ready to compromise their choice and will for the sake of coming to power. After all is not this the same thing that brought us all to fight against EPRDF,a question needed to be answered?

Dear Biniam,

You raised so many important questions. Your well articulated views reflect the general sentiment that many supporters of CUD and UEDF harbor.

You asked: “how can CUD and UEDF assure the Ethiopians public that they wouldn’t not revise Article 39 on the constitution after all that is what they were campaigning for?”

There are issues of tactic, strategy, timing and procedures we need to deal with and balance. The easiest is the issue of timing. Given the instability and potential disaster that may result, prudence would require we prioritize our policies and actions. Delaying a particular agenda for further discussion is not betraying those who supported you because of it. What CUD and UEDF need to do is buy time to study what action to take, what procedure to follow. This would also buy them time to win the confidence of those who are sitting on the fence. Time would also allow them to dispel any misinformation. So both from a tactical and strategic point of view delaying this action makes tons of sense. This is also not an issue that you wish to rush in a time of chaos. It requires sober minds, cool off period and through discussion. Again from a strategic point of view lasting piece requires that we bring all parties to the table. It requires commissioning papers, setting an impartial expert group consisting of constitutional scholars, economists, political scientists, linguists, religious leaders of all denomination. We need to break the cycle of ushering in a new constitution every time we have new governments.

Further more, as I am sure you know in all democratic societies the immediate objective is to campaign, with an eye to win the maximum number of votes. Once you have won election, a cruel reality hits you in the face, namely the challenge of balancing campaign promises and governing the general populace. Remember you are governing not only those who voted for you but also those who voted for your opponents. You need to bring as many of your critics under your fold. This requires buying their confidence, which in turn would require shelving some of your election period promises and delaying other equally important promises until you win the hearts and minds of not only your supporters but also your opponents. You need to win their confidence and support. Democracy rewards those that are ready to compromise than those who wish to shove the wishes of 51% through the throats of the remaining 49%. The principle would not change if it were the wishes of 65% being shoved down the throats of 35%. The quality of a seasoned politician is measured not by his iron will determination to implement his election promises, but by his ability in dividing the proverbial cake in such a way that each political block feels that it has gotten the biggest piece. I remember reading a quotation that went something like this: “the art of politics is the minimization of unhappiness of your adversaries.”

Biniam, yu also asked: “should the parties resume the very ethnic policy that the public has rejected to demonstrate their capability of leadership (what an irony?) And in that case what would make CUD and UEDF different and for that matter even better than EPRDF/TPLF?” What would separate CUD/UEDF from EPRDF should be their ability to resist the temptation to succumb to the impulses of the minute and withstand the political pulse that wishes to address the problems of a century in a span of a year. This is where the process and timing of introducing changes and governing becomes key. I am not saying they abandon their believes and agenda to revisit the structure and constitution of ethnic federalism. What is important is that such structural changes and constitutional amendments should not be undertaken when political impulses are at their highest. Prudence requires sobriety, judgment and rationality. This is particularly true in today’s Ethiopia. This shows wisdom not lack of vision or courage. In addition to calming raging nerves both at home and abroad, it would buy us credibility and confidence.

You further asked: “And what is the meaning of democracy and representation if we ”from tactical and strategic point of views” let elected representatives to side the peoples voice and choice while pursuing a hidden agenda? What makes you believe that CUD and UEDF would be elected again after their five years cool-off adventure that ignores the peoples concern? I hope I would not come across as rhetorical if I write an often quoted line that politics is the art of compromise. Politicians that are shy or unwilling to compromise are rightly labeled ideologues — a badge of honor that we hope CUD and UEDF can live without.

I must say that I totally disagree with your statement that read: “In my opinion the greatest challenges and a dangerous reality that is casing over the countries future araises from the misfortunately quoted and spelled paragraph on Article 39 and as you have also said it and the absence of any supporting (complementing) realities at home and internationally to realise it. Today the problem and the challenge the country faces from sussessionist partys such as OLF, organisations in Somalia and Ogaden is attributed to this fact.” As I have noted in the first message on this thread, article 39 is dead on arrival. Not even Meles has allowed OLF to entertain it, much less legally pursue it.

I will end here to give others a chance to jump in.

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Geberdin

I must admit that I am overly enjoying this forum for the civility of the writers in disagreeing with one another and for the insightful ideas from some talented Ethiopians. Kidos to Mamo Qilo and Beniam.

Mamo Qilo's suggestion for this particular thread is timely and useful. Please continue sharing your ideas. For the first time, perhaps in our history, Ethiopians in the diaspora are contributing immensely to the democratic process in our country. The contributions that these message boards make is huge to the success of the opposition parties too. so, keep it up, folks.

Email: samuel_van@hotmail.com

City: Vancouver, canada

Article 39 of the constitution is an exit strategy for the woyanes. the main goal of it to be in there is that if things get out of control for the woyanes they will declare the independence of the republic of Tigray. Woyanes dont support the oromos or others to be independent but it is the last resort for their our safty.
AS we all know the PM meles and his associates don't see the future of our country as we see it bright and democracy. They see it, as it is bleak and dark. we all can see their interviews and they keep on comparing our future as a country similar to Rwanda and Somalia. They think they are the only once and last government in ethiopia can keep the ethiopian people in peace and under one flag. look what bereket simon had to say to justify their killing of innocent civilians
"Well, I definitely believe that it [the violence] will tarnish the image of the country. But, what was the alternative? Let's look at it. The alternative was strife between the different nationalities of Ethiopia which might have made the Rwandan genocide look like childsplay. This was the alternative. If you allow people who defy law and order, take matters into their own hands and government sits idly, not discharging its responsibility of maintaining law and order, anybody who feels they are capable of taking matters into their own hands will reign over society and that will definitely bring the whole Ethiopian society into turmoil. This is what the government wanted to avoid. And I think one needs to balance. In the first place this is an isolated incident. Secondly, the alternative to this would have been much more disastrous where you might find millions or tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands perishing within the coming days and months. And you can not have Ethiopia in this context. So, I think we shouldn't look into a single picture and conclude. We need to look into the whole process" (source meskel square). for him the alternative was what we just read but for all of us ethiopians the alternative was to have democracy and freedom of our people. so let's not forget who we dealing with.
May god save this great nation of ours.

Article 39 of the constitution is an exit strategy for the woyanes. the main goal of it to be in there is that if things get out of control for the woyanes they will declare the independence of the republic of Tigray. Woyanes dont support the oromos or others to be independent but it is the last resort for their our safty.

AS we all know the PM meles and his associates don't see the future of our country as we see it bright and democracy. They see it, as it is bleak and dark. we all can see their interviews and they keep on comparing our future as a country similar to Rwanda and Somalia. They think they are the only once and last government in ethiopia can keep the ethiopian people in peace and under one flag. look what bereket simon had to say to justify their killing of innocent civilians,

"Well, I definitely believe that it [the violence] will tarnish the image of the country. But, what was the alternative? Let's look at it. The alternative was strife between the different nationalities of Ethiopia which might have made the Rwandan genocide look like childsplay. This was the alternative. If you allow people who defy law and order, take matters into their own hands and government sits idly, not discharging its responsibility of maintaining law and order, anybody who feels they are capable of taking matters into their own hands will reign over society and that will definitely bring the whole Ethiopian society into turmoil. This is what the government wanted to avoid. And I think one needs to balance. In the first place this is an isolated incident. Secondly, the alternative to this would have been much more disastrous where you might find millions or tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands perishing within the coming days and months. And you can not have Ethiopia in this context. So, I think we shouldn't look into a single picture and conclude. We need to look into the whole process" (source meskel square).
For him the alternative was what we just read but for all of us ethiopians the alternative was to have democracy and freedom of our people. so let's not forget who we dealing with.
May god save this great nation of ours.

Dear Ethiopian,
your discussion shows that you are far from reality.
The Ethiopian people have struggled for many years for the right of nationality. In other words, the questions of nationality and the land were the core struggle of all ethiopain people.
If you are thinking to destroy the constitution, you are not different from the regime that you are blaming. That really show the true nature of Amhara elites who are hidding behind the ethnic politic issue while they want to be in the power.
It is very sad to see that you are still living in the dream of ruling and oppressing other nationalities while you do not accept the fundamental right of all people to live on equal footing.
Let me tell you Somali Ethiopian are teaching their children with their own language and they run their affair; however, during the ruling of your people, our old grandmother were forced to study in Amharic.
The struggle has just started and we are going to long and difficult. It seems that your perception is shaped with wrong ideologies which is only seeing your history, culture and aspirations.
This is a time that I recalled the true and genuine people who died for Ethiopia--- EPRP

Email: shirdons@yahoo.com

City: Washington DC

Dear Ibrahim,

Have you noticed that yours is the first message lacking substance. It is attack on the Amhara and short on argument. It is a regurgitation of old politics full of rhetoric and short in substantive argument.

Where in my argument, for example, I made a statement that you alluded to. Where do you disagree with what I, Sinzero, Lelem, Tariku, Getahun, and Jadu had to say? Beniam took a differet stand, but argued his position with a rational argument than with rhetoric.

You wrote: “[the messages] really show the true nature of Amhara elites who are hiding behind the ethnic politic issue while they want to be in the power. It is very sad to see that you are still living in the dream of ruling and oppressing other nationalities while you do not accept the fundamental right of all people to live on equal footing.”

Can you show me one line that in my, Sinzero’s, Lemlem’s, Getahun’s, Tariku’s and Jadu’s messages that suggests anything remotely close to what you are alluding to any oneof us?

I happen to know you enough to know that you are a very intelligent person. Most of the messages on this thread are posted by intelligent people. Can we discuss issues in substance? Rhetoric and outdated slogans are instruments of third rated politicians with limited capacity to engage in substantive debate. I am sure you would agree.

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Geberdin

Dear Ibrahim,

Just so you know, this is not an amhara forum. It may surprise you to know that many of us, including myself, are not amharas. Voters of Addis Ababa overwhelmingly cast their vote for the opposition. You have to agree that Addis represents all of Ethiopian nationalities, and they voted for the opposition even when the opposition is a tigre (Dr Hailu Araya is one example). It is a complete rejection by the people.

And, please stick to the discussion and debate IDEAS. There isn't much appetite for slanders here.

Cheers
Getahun

Email: samuel_van@hotmail.com

City: Vancouver, Canada

Recommandation.

I like to recommand everyone who can read Amharic to read the 13pgs of articl By Dr. Fekadu Bekele from Berlin. The articl can be found at Ethiomedia.com. "The Weyane's Politics and the Eurpeans carlessness" It is in amharic.

thx

Dear Mamo and Getahum and others:
Dr. Abdulmajid Hussein, the late diplomat and flamboyant politician, used to tell me, brother we have a short time in this life and you should deliver your part of history without attacking other or being emotional. One time he told me to read the book by Bruce entitled “ The political discourse” In the nutshell this book shows how the evocation of emotion and the distorting of perception can change or mislead the public. What I am trying to show is that Mamo is attempting to correct me ; however, he is trying to pick out his own point and paint the rest of my opinion with a big brush of distortion.
Here I would like to repeat myself again, I am not against any Amhara; however this word is used by elite to achieve their goal in order to mislead the rest of the public and they need to be exposed to the public at large. In other words, we have to show our reality to these elites who do not want to hear and listen to other opinions. As one author says “ It is a dialogue akin to a mute trying to show a blind man a picture.”
In Ethiopia, we grew up in this part of the world under what I euphemistically call “the Tyranny of Silence”. Children are told that speaking in the presence of their fathers is the height of rudeness. Asking questions is tantamount to rebellion; Questioning authority is outright blasphemy.
However, we need to be open minded and listened to other people opinion. What counts is dialogue and discuss as we are engaged in this forum. Thanks to the internet. Otherwise, we were locked in our little village that is used and misused by some politician.
Moreover, a renowned author once says
“ As the world turns its prying eyes on our existence, much needs to be explained in order for us to reach a common ground of understanding. Basically, we grew up being told what to do and what to believe and how to act and react. When one of us reaches maturity, the cycle is repeated without questioning or alteration”.
Asking questions is the only way to develop a healthy analytical mind. Otherwise, one is dependant on others to shape one’s mind.
My question is that what is the program of the opposition group. So far they have not shown me or convince me what they will deliver except the marathon to the power seat. To add insult to injury, some of you are discussing to dismantle the constitution without substitution. Then, we are confusing the equation of Ethiopian politic by questionning the Western factors while we are neglecting the ply of the majority of Ethiopian people. For example, the southern part of Ethiopian is not included and I am insisting. Let me tell you in case we , the Ethiopian Somali, were part and parcel of this struggle. Mr. Ismail Omar Guelleh, Djibouti President, was born in my county in Dire Dawa. He speaks fluently Ethiopian language and he understands Ethiopian culture and history as he is half Ethiopian . If we, the Somali Ethiopian, Call him and (we did on our part and talked to him) not to return the pilots, the problem will be solved. By the way, our organization approached Mr. Roble, Djibouti Ambassador in UN who grew up in Ethiopia in your surprise and requested not to send back the pilots to Ethiopia. This will tell you how much we fight against a distorted perception not the ethnic. Hopefully, the story will end there; however, the line of opposition is disconnected from the southern part and they do not have any relation with us except Somali are ready to separate from Ethiopia.
Today we are at a crossroad socially and politically, and we must decide what we want to do in order to clarify a point or engage in an internal or external debate. Opening one’s mouth for the sake of talking is bad manners in the eyes of socalled opposition. Last week, when we speak out our mind in VOA, we have got a missile of intolerance and insult such as you are paid by Meles.
I am appealing to all peace loving Ethiopian:
First we must learn the dialectics of words and their meaning. Yes, re-learn if we have to. No one is too old or too learned to go back to school.
The second most important thing to accept is that others might actually be right regardless of who they are or what they believe in.
Third, we must believe that no one has a monopoly on truth, news, ideas, wisdom, and decision-making.

United We Stand!!
This is an interesting article:

http://www.ethiomedia.com/newpress/pathetic_strategy.html

Email: rachel_br@yahoo.com

WHY MAKE OUR CONSTITUTION A COFFIN TO A DEAD PRINCIPLES ON ARRIVAL, wollega??

Dear Wollega

Thank you for the responses but I am afraid it even scrathes in me more question and more challenges to your posted opinions and views in line with the trade that you pulled.

You have raised on your response about ”tactic,strategy,timing and procedures that we need to deal with and balance” before tring to push such indispensable but in your sense ”dangerious” agendas forward. You have mentioned in your response to my critic saying ”given the instability and potential disaster that may result, prudence would require we prioritize our policies and actions” and you beautifully describe this violence and potential danger as ”a political impulses .. at their highest” and you went asserting ”This is particularly true in today’s Ethiopia.”

I completely agree with you on the need for prudence however I dont understand the link between raising a legimitate question on the interest of the people (the majority that voted for them) by a democraticaly elected party(ies) and an instability or potential danger that could arise from it?If that is the case then there is, I suppose, a serious catch (problem) in the kind of democracy that we are demanding to see prevailing in our country. Isnt the highest state of poletical impulse today a product of luck of such actions ? If not explain your self as to where it stands the root cause of this ”raging nerves both at home and abroad?” what is your explanation to it? Or do you mean that CUD and UEDF should come to power only with the help of the foreign mediator and in that case they should compromise on the peoples interest and choice? I think you need to be more frank and bold in explaining as to why the very fact of raising legimitate questions by democraticaly elected partys would end up in a danger and instability in the country and what is its meaning in a democratic society?!

You even went further in strengthening your view and mentioned about timing saying ”what CUD and UEDF need to do is buy time to study what action to take, what procedure to follow. This would also buy them time to win the confidence of those who are sitting on the fence. Time would also allow them to dispel any misinformation. So both from a tactical and strategic point of view delaying this action makes tons of sense”

Here my question to you is if this questions are not timely and dont need to be adressed immediately then why dont CUD and UEDF wait till the next election by then hopefully things get ”cooled off ?!” Why rush to power while there isnt much to be done by them different from the incumbents since there isnt convenient environment? In fact your way of thinking reminded me of this man who parked his car in the middle of the higway causing a lot of jam and starts cleaning his cars window .When asked later by police why he did that he told them that I am taking time till I decide where I go and in the meantime I though its better I do something not to be idle off…funny, silly or..? And with a similar analogy you are implicating to us that by calling the parties refrain from executing the very two important question that makes ”tons of sense” to the people, you wanted them to take power and do pretty much the same thing that EPRDF has done. In short your arguments seems to focus only on changing a face at the government level not doing business that the people wished and expected to see being done.

Talking about strategy I think we need a simple strategy of honesty and boldness that dont need to be sooooo elit oriented and complicated… Just listen what the people want, adopt it in your manifesto and never went to bed before realising it. Talking prosedures; ofcourse like any democratic practice there is a constitutional procedure to follow and do the job and we should stick to it. In our case (changing or initiating for a constitutional change) any winning party has to secure a tow third majority vote at the house of the representatives( the legislator) and if they already secured that then it speaks for itself what should be done. I cant see any strategy than this to serve the peoples interest. Or show me the wisdom of failing to do a job while you have the necessary support and responsibility in a certain way.Dont you think it is lack of vision or courage living just to buy an invisible credibility and confidence while you rub off the very confidence and credibility that you wished to build up on(impart?)

And most importantly what the country needs is an honest leadership, to borrow your word, that ”resists the temptation to succumb to the impulses of the minute and withstand with what it has promised to address the problems of a century” not a sneaky headship that ”abandon their believes and agenda” to the benefit of ”the art of compromise” in the name of elite tactics, strategies and procedures.
And as histroy dectates on the subject matter, this is a spot where every dictatoral and unpopular leadership takes the bend. Thats how and why most governments today, particularly in our part of the world, turns out to be unpopular and out of favor to the mass no matter what they do or intends to do. Thats the junction where the heart of the ledership and that of the people secede (break free! ) Under such elite disguise of ”we know better” for the people they will slip in to the same inconsequential practices that EPRDF and all others that precedes it are traped in to. And with out the masses support it doesnt realy matter what you do or intends to do; a big lesson to be learnet from the ungraceful fall of ”Arkebe Iqubay”

You further pointed out the present hipocracy in todays world as an explanationa as to why we need to ignore some of the promises we made by imposing this invisible standard of governance that you found in the books you read or the quote you remembered or the a kind of ”badge of honor” that you hoped CUD and UEDF can live without instead of listening what the people crys for.
I think this is the kind of practice what makes all of us on this side of the street to be disgusted by the EPRDF leaders and as far as I am concerned I have no any other reasons than this for my deep hatred towards their melacious and tricky way of governance. Instead you insisted ”the quality of a seasoned politician is measured not by his iron will determination to implement his election promises, but.. and this shows wisdom not lack of vision or courage”
By the way a season is a natural fact (phenomena) and the act of a seasoned poletician to ”divide the proverbial cake in such a way that each political block feels that it has gotten the biggest piece” is defraud if not a betryal (even a serious crime) And I believe what Ethiopia needs today is not a seasoned poletician but a public servant and that is the way we would like to see CUD and UEDF not in accordance with the quotes in the books.
Good that you remember a quotation ”that went something like this: “the art of politics is the minimization of unhappiness of your adversaries.” But I am afraid you refered to a wrong book and a wrong quote to apply it in our case. After all all the quotes in all the books are not true and honest. But if you ask me what I believe is the art of a poletics that we need in our country, it is the maximization of happiness of your supporters and adversaries with and/or with out their votes!!!!Dont you think?

You also said ”remember you are governing not only those who voted for you but also those who voted for your opponents. You need to bring as many of your critics under your fold. This requires buying their confidence, which in turn would require shelving some of your election period promises and delaying other equally important promises until you win the hearts and minds of not only your supporters but also your opponents. You need to win their confidence and support.”

Well I guss when you shelved your selfe-convicted principles for the sake of buying others( your critques ) in to your fold, the right term to describe the transaction is you sold your self off to them not you buy them. After all why do you need to change or shelve your agenda to attract other opponents? Arent your agendas good enough by themselves to cast away any of the doubts of your opponants and eventually appeal to their confidence on you? Dont you think the best way to attract your opponents is to work hard correspondingly to your stated principles and promises and prove them to be worth following instead of adopting what you dont believe in for your self or pushing it away for some unknown period of time? How about loosing the majority to attract the minor opponents that you have. Have you considered that possibility too?

As a matter of fact which democracy is free from opponents and for that matter what is the meaning of democracy if every one in the constituency agrees on what is being told to do so. I think if the majority of the people wishes so, we need to change the constitution every time we have a new government since that is the core meaning of democracy and what a constitution is made for. And in my opinion we shouldnt be fool enough to expect every scholars, economists, political scientists, linguists, religious leaders of all denomination to come togethr and say the same word in the same mouth. ..impossible. Democracy is about differences and living with differences. Those parts who win the majorities heart shall govern as long as they keep doing so by their doing not their words. If not leave the scene..finito...adjos..chao! Remember that the same fate that hunts EPRDF today awaits for CUD and UEDF tomorow unless they demonstrated them selves otherwise. And when the people voted for them here; democratically speaking they meant that CUD and UEDF are not voted for an everlasting coronation. Surely there will come a time for them to be weiged and given a verdict up only with a matter of time on the second round. They served the people interest they shall be awarded. They betrayed the peoples trust for one or the other reason thay shall be hold accounted for it.

I would also want to ask you if you already secured the majorities support and vote why waggle your tail to draw more patrons? If you wished to do so which I believe every party should try,it shouldnt be by changing your position or post poning the peoples agenda but by demonstrating your self to be true through your practice and action while given the mandate to do so. By doing so We will and need to break the cycle of ushering a prolonged and subsecuent lieing and hypocrate leadership that we had every time one government replaces the other. We must stop that today and not tomorrow and CUD and UEDF have a key role and a historic opportunity in their hand to close that chapter once and for all and open a new one.

Last but not the least; if there is an already dead rat in your living room, I am sure you dont need to leave it there since it is already dead. Instead you will make sure that it is chased away from your home knowing that what a big health risk it would pose to you and your family if you fail to do so. If not a fatal one atlease a minor irritation which would possibly makes you be more vulnurable to catch other disesses. Thats what I mean when I say the last time that in my opinion the greatest challenges and a dangerous reality that is casting over the countries future araises from the misfortunately quoted and spelled paragraph on Article 39. The absence of any supporting (complementing) realities both at home and internationally makes it even a greater concern as to why it should be left there ?! Today the problem and the challenge the country faces from sussessionist partys such as OLF, organisations in Somalia and Ogaden is attributed to this fact.
If Article 39 is already ”dead on arrival,” why then make our constitution a coffin for the deads? And dont you think it is the oppositions duty to clean up this mess now and today than tomorow?

Well all in all I would like you to explain to us how raising legitimate concerns by a democratically elected party provocs violence and potential danger? Explain the root cause of the poletical nerve at the highest level in present Ethiopia.What is in your opinion that Ethiopia need today but not tomorow a change of faces at the government level with a an already failed empty promise or change of policies with a determination to face boldly the consequences? Dont you think Ethiopia today needs an honest and bold public servant than a seasoned poletician as you argued for in your posted article? Dont you think the art of a poletics at least in our case,case of Ethiopia, should be the maximization of happiness of your supporters and adversaries with and/or with out their votes against with waisting energy and resource in the minimization of unhappiness of your adversaries?Dont you think shelving out your agendas is saleing your self off to your adversaries than buying them in to your fold?Dont you think Ethiopia (noe CUD ) needs to break a sycle of illite tactic,strategy and prosedures that governments one after the other in Ethiopia imposes against the peoples wish just to serve their illitisity?What if the next five year is marked even with a bigger poletical nerve at the peake should we wait ten more years fifteen twenty ..so on before even raising the issues leave alone realising them? What is the meaning of democracy if your intendeed purpose is to bring all on the same table and stand free from opposing voices?Dont you think that even lead for more dangerious and instable situation?Why make the constitution a coffin to the principles dead on arrival? Why not take the intiative, be bold enough, pass through your arguments and rationalisations and clean their messes up than bedding on the dirty constitution? Finally I would like to bring to your attention and may be we shall discuss on todays pragmatic word ”Multiculturalism” and its application on Ethiopia by refering examples from the broader world ..South Africa, USA, Euroeurop etc ” as an exit bid to ethiopias less discussed and widely abused nation and nationality question? Well I will end here for today and I Look forward your and the participants response on these issues!
Selam to ethiopia!!

Dear Ibrahim,

Thanks for your courteous reply. I like most of what you said and some of the quotations you sighted. I would quote one right here and promise to quote it even more in the coming days and months. I agree with the gist of your message. Actually I have been saying most of what you are saying. The apparent difference in our messages is not in the substance in our writings, but in our delivery style.

Let me end by asking you a question. Do you need to invoke the term Amhara to express your views, as strong as they may be. There are thousands of Amhara who gave their lives advancing the interests of all ethnic group, some of them your EPRP comrades?

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Geberdin

Beinyam,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my message. I would like to hear from others so that it would not be a tit for tat between the two of us. More voices will expand the horizon of the discussion and may be even shed now light into the discussion. But rest assured that I will respond.

Mamo Qilo

Pragmatism is the call of the day!

Are Biniam and Mamo talking about different things? Yes and No. No, because both seem to agree that Article 39 needs to be repealed. Yes, because they disagree as to when should the opposition needs to address this issue. Here, I will try to show my view of their differences from 4 angles which might have brought the apparent difference. I will also try to show where I stand. For me it is all about the level of pragmatism the two would accept to free Ethiopia.

Goal Vs Strategy

Though, none of them mentioned this explicitly, one can fairly judge that both share the same long term/main goals with both opposition parties, which can be summarized as establishing a system of governance which assures that All Ethiopians are treated equally and fairly, their basic human right is fully respected, the rule of law prevails and sustained socioeconomic development is in place which will disentangle them from the anchors of poverty. (This is my summary which I hope both would agree). Their apparent difference arises with regards to the short term goal: Defeating EPRDF and taking power with a peaceful and democratic means i.e. winning majority seat in the parliament . Apparently, this appears to have been taken just as one of many strategies to achieve the long term/main goal by Beniam while it seems to have been given due emphasis by Mamo. Even though not expressed clearly, Beniam sounded to me that he has come to a conclusion that winning the majority seat in this election isn’t going to be the way for unseating the current government; quote ” Why rush to power while there isnt much to be done by them different from the incumbents since there isnt convenient environment?”. While Mamo seems to stick to the idea of pursuing the existing election system with all its drawbacks. What Biniam didn’t give us was the alternative to that. I think one needs to make this very clear before going any further.

What stage of struggle are we in?

Mamo and Beniam don’t seem to be in the same page about the stage of the struggle.
Beniam in his argument seems to imply that we are done with the campaign phase where the people have won and is demanding that the opposition should be delivering what they have promised: “To begin with; how can CUD and UEDF assure the Ethiopians public that they wouldnt not revise Article 39 on the constitution after all that is what they were campaigning for?” While Mamo seems to stress on the fact that we are still at the stages of campaigning where we haven’t yet legally come out victorious and take things in to our hands. we have now learnt that it is not enough to win votes, for securing the victory has become even more difficult. Fortunately or unfortunately, the people whom Beniam labled as “brokers” are critical in getting the best out of the process. It would be naive to deny the fact that the “democratic” stage EPRDF set for this election came as a result of its interest to appease the international community its respect to the will of the people . That “brokerage” is what the opposition exploited to amass the public support and register the land slide victory. Unfortunately, we are faced with a situation where their vote is stolen and judgment has fallen in the hands of NEBE, government elected body the opposition have given their consent to . We are now at a cross road to look for another openings that the brokers may create as implied by mamo or go back to square one and start completely different strategy to achieve our goal as implied by Beniam. Again, Beniam has failed to give us an alternative here and failed to show the role those “hot” issues would play in this regard. Beniam’s argument lacks pragmatism.

The nature of the foe {EPRDF}.

It isn’t important to describe the nature of EPRDF for people here. For me, they are determined groups of mafias and street smarts. The last couple of weeks have shown beyond shadow of doubt what they can do and how far they could go. In short, EPRDF isn’t a kind one would expect to respect the rule of any game it is part of. The very simple fact that Meles has managed to deceive the international community for the last 14 years tells us a lot about the unique nature of our foes. A competent leadership needs to understand its enemy’s weakness and attack it where it hurts most, as Mamo has once noted. His suggestions here, for me is nothing other than asserting this fact. You don’t have to be a mafia to deal with mafias. But, sure you need to use non conventional means to deal with them. Some of the recommendations including not over emphasizing on Article 39 at his stage I think emanates from understanding and devising a way of dealing with your foe. Beniam, again has failed to show us that he has taken this into consideration in his argument. Or, suggest alternative forms of struggle. It is contrary to beniam’s point “You are calling the partys to hand over their weapon to the enemy in return for the enemy to write their name on the winners list…wired?! “

N.B. The question of whether to boycott or be a part of the system and fight it from with in/out, in the event that EPRDF persists with the theft of people’s vote has been point of departure between the two major oppositions.

Significance of Article 39 and related issues in the struggle:

It is important to not that one needs to agree on the above three points before deciding whether to push the issue of revising the constitution or not. It is very important to make a note of the fact the majority of people have voted and favor any of the two oppositions whom they have found to stand against EPRDF. I personally don’t think the major reason why the opposition won the popular support is due to their campaign against article 39. I would agree with Mamo that the bulk of the support was a protest vote. The reality that majority of the people including the Diaspora give more or less equal support to both CUD and UEDF in spite of the fact there is basic difference in the way they address nationality issues which is intimately related to Article 39 tells a lot about the protest vote. It also shows the obvious practical problem the issue may bring about. On other hand, not raising about Article 39 shouldn’t be considered as compromising basic principles of democracy. It is rather a simple tactical and democratic move to pave the way to achieve that goal of repealing Article 39. Even if we accept that people have voted the opposition for them to repeal it, I don’t think they would be demanding to make it a point even at the expense of the very objective they support the opposition for. The issue here is to weigh between getting stronger hold in the government and tackle the continuing dangers of these hot issues or taking a different course of struggle in order to radically address the issue while leaving it to be exploited under the people who brought it to existence and who think they need to exploit it to its full extent now as they are feeling threatened more than ever. My choice is the earlier one and Beniam doesn’t convince me the later is better. None of the above argument thus supports your claim “What is the meaning of democracy if your intended purpose is to bring all on the same table and stand free from opposing voices? “. I don’t think that is the intention here. Why do we have to see the extreme version only?

In simple words, it is all about pragmatism to its full extent including maintaining morale high ground in listening to the heart beats of the people and their expectations from the opposition. Being bold for the sake of being one doesn’t help any purpose. Ethiopia hasn’t seen as bold a leader as Meles. He has brought us where we are now. We need cool heads and prudent leadership not “bold, ideologue and radical ones.

Apologies for making some assumptions and generalizations,

Jadu

Jadu,

Thank you very much. You have read my points well. I also think you have highlighted some of the areas of difference between the two approaches.

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Geberdin

Dear Mamo:
I have accepted your language which is full of civility and high respect. I apologize if I made a bad remark. That is why, we, human being or Homo Sapien, are different from other creation. L'erreur est humane.
To answer your question, I am using to counterattack people who are oppositing us when we are championning the casue of ehtnicity and we say that Ethiopian should live in peace and on equal footing. On the other hand, they want to put other nationalities right under the rug. This is not true only for Ethiopia as French writer Jean Jacques Rousseau will nicely put " L'homme n'est l'homme parce que il se souvient" el la guerre de l'humanite a commence quand la propriete est cree". In other words, the source of all conflict is the advent of accummulation of property.
Moreover, you refute your point by the logic of bad to bad and good to good words. As you know, words carry a strong message if you are appealing and galvanizing public , but in the mist of it you might attack as chimo therapy does when they are aim at killing some cancer cell. To counter the elites, one might use these words. For example, VOA is not different in my opinion from Hitler radio in 1933 or Radio Kigali , when Huti has killed 800, 000 tsuti, to appeal for the public in emotional way.
All in all, I agree with you that we can have a nice chat while we can disagree or agree without personalizing.
Dr. Ibrahim Shirdon

I believe what has transpired since we started this forum, particularly the strongly worded letter from the US Congress seems to support my analysis. Wouldn't you agree?

It is high time we act. If at least 500 Ethiopian Americans organize within the DC area my wife (a life long Republican Operative) and I would prepare a package to lobby the Republicans to introduce a stron bill in Congress and the Senate.

ER, I would like to repeat my call for you to play a role by providing a venue for Ethiopian Americans to sign up. I would say it is better than to lead an attack on Al Amudi for exercising his right.

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Geberdin aka
Cyber Bully

Mamo Qilo

Yes,
I have also seen developments to ascertain how critical it is for the opposition to come together as I have inidcated above.
Read, Ethiomedia,

ETHIOPIA: Future government in discussion
Indian Ocean Newsletter No. 1140: June 25, 2005 http://www.ethiomedia.com/newpress/future_government.html

It clearly shows how aggressively EPRDF is trying to creat a wedge between the two parties.