Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
US Politics

In the US politics is a game that grown ups play to get the most out of the system. Playing the games of politics requires to understand the system, to love it and to be intimate with it. If one is against it one would spend his life complaing from outside the fence and then he dies.

So friends, the US system rewards those who understand and love it. The rest would spend their lives complaining about it and then they disolve into oblivion. Not a nice image.

Why do I like the US system. Because you, my critics, have convinced me that it is the best there is. How did you do that? You did all you could to fly over Europe, Asia and Latin America to reach this land of opportunity. I take your actions than you words. You have voted with your legs. Even Arat Kilo has made the US his home away from home.

Mamo Qilo

Re: US Politics

Mamo,
Mamo, Thank you for the advice about exploting the system. I think any body would agree that one should surf along the wave not against it when one is particularly a minority like we are. What I find difficult to understand is your argument that the megacorporate economy is the best solution that there is in the world to alleviate the socio economic crisis of the world. we have seen it has left millions of its citizens marginalized, so why shouldn't we question its appropriatness for our siuation. Recognizing the drawback of a system however doesn't barr one to utilize it to one's advantage. Infact, it is the other way round. You can make better use of the system. I don't see a conflict b/n working and exploting a system and criticizing it.

What I am trying to say is, you can't bring every Ethiopian here, you cann't transplant megacorporate economy to Ethiopia either. Ethiopia lela, US lela. I don't agree with exclusionary appproach like "you are either with us or with them" type. There is always middle ground, which is often the safest playing field. That is what I wish for my country for that is what I do for myself. (mehal sefari endatilegn ).

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

Jadu,

I have responded to you on this topic in a different thread. You and I are on the same wavelength when it comes to using the US to our advantage. I see the US corporate culture the most efficient system compared to all the other systems. Please look at my reply to you regarding my argument why I think the Scandinavian system (which you consider to be a model for us) is rotting from within and collapsing on the burden of its own weight.

I did not say mega corporate economy is the best solution for Ethiopia at this point. It will be the best solution for us in 100 years, if GOD answers our prayers. You said "Recognizing the drawback of a system however doesn't bar one to utilize it to one's advantage. In fact, it is the other way round. You can make better use of the system. I don't see a conflict b/n working and exploiting a system and criticizing it." I am 100% with you on this. I can list you 100 bad things about the US system in one day, but I can list much more about other systems. I hope now you understand me better.

Why are we discussing this? Because I think our policies are usually misguided? If we see the US as a potential ally and its system a beneficial one, some of our friends would not find it difficult to work with or around the US rather than against or indifferent to the US interest. That is all. I am neither naive nor a new convert who acts like a misguided evangelist. I am sure Arat Kilo would have a different opinion.

Mamo Qilo

Email: mamoqilo@yahoo.com

Thank you
Pls stop draging the other guy here!!

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

All I will say to you guys is:
'yayit misiker dinbit'
Arat-kilo