Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why Ethiopians and Eritreans suffer while other people are enjoying the God given World.

I don't understand really why Ethiopians and Eritreans are condemned to suffer in this world. I worked and lived in some African Countries like Kenya, South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Tanzania as well as in many European countries.

Please note, I accept that humanity is the same all over. However, please allow me to say this:

I am an academic and worked in 7 universities during the last 15 years. I worked with fellow Ethiopean and Eritrean professionals. I also worked with other academics from Zimbabwe, South Africa, Kenya, Zambia, Botswana, Malawi, British, Irish, etc. At that level, I observed clearly the above average intelligence, competitiveness, personality and professional contributions of the fellow Ethiopians and Eritreans.

The irony is why living in poverty, in war, in misery? I don't know really. What should be done? I asked many African brothers and sisters as well as Europeans and they told me that they like the manner, the trait and the culture of Ethiopians and Eritreans. They said, "they are knowledgeable, clever, hardworking, friendly, peace loving, cultured and not vindictive".

What could be the problem that they are living in misery that they don't deserve?

I don't know realy. Can you tell me pelase.

Thank you

Re: Why Ethiopians and Eritreans suffer while other people are enjoying the God given World.

Because the student movement screwed up big time. If Meles and Isayas are toppled and sensible and seasoned leaders emerge we will overcome all obstacles.

Mamo Qilo

Re: Why Ethiopians and Eritreans suffer while other people are enjoying the God given World.

Mamo, just that’s not true the trouble we had currently, something that comes from generation to generation for not having mutual respect each other dude .it’s not just happen yesterday come on Mamo you know better what History thought us.

Email: kerfafa@hotmail.com

City: Gojjam

Lemma,

We had problem in the past, but the past generation contributed to society. Axum was built during feudalism. Lalibela was built during a feudal system. Like all feudal systems you find these systems wanting in todays standard. The student movement and the current generation was all screw up and no legacy. There is no history we can hide behind to change this fact. Is it not sad?

Mamo Qilo

It is the river Nile.just imagine what would had been the fate of the first people who formed the ELF if they did not get all the support from Egypt, if they did not get all the millitary training from the Arab world. There would not had been EPLF,TPLF and OLF. There would not had been a division amongst us. but poletics and bad poleticians divided us, made a big rift amongst us we are fools and idiots we accept what evr they tell us, otherwise we are the same and one people with different languges.
I believe if the river Nile was not there, no one would have the interest in our internal poletics to weaken us economicaly, we would have excelled in many fields but what can we do?

Email: trktaye@msn.com

City: Toronto

I think to blame the student movement is to be too short sightedness!
You have to look somewhere else!
Meles didn't take power by himself; he was helped by a foreign government!
Derg or Mengistu's story is the same!
The problem of Ethiopia (and Eritrea for that matter) is foreign involvement!
The ethnic division has become because of foreign involvement!
One can easily find out how the shuffling of Mengestu by Meles is orchestrated by mighty and powerful world leaders!
Mengestu still alive and not being accountable for the crime he committed!
Meles, if ousted will probably have some safe haven waiting for him.
All this at the expense of the Ethiopian people's property.
These individuals and their collaborators have stashed more money that the country's budget!
No wonder the people are always poor!
I hope this gives us a little perispective!
Arat-Kilo

Right on, Arat-Kilo. Right on.

Aoromara please read what Mamo posted, hatred among Ethiopia people was for long period of time it’s only the people never had an opportunity to express their hatred to one another, apparently this time was best opportunity to let it go their hate. Absolutely River Nile nothing to do with our ethnic situation. However Ethiopia people never stop riot against their government who ever rule regardless. you don’t see them gathering for any kind of good will donation but you see them gathering for killing each other, very weird society sorry!

Mamo and Arat kilo..did you know that current weyenne was not the original, first Weyenne(1) was in 1942 and then Haile Selassie crashed the movement by the help of British Royal Air Force what you facing current Weyenne (2) started in 1975. What I was trying to say, the rebellion in Tigray was before EPLF. For your information please browse this site, http://www.ethiopiafirst.com/news2004/Jan/The_Origins_Of_TPLF.pdf

Thank you Kunicha!
People like Lema are bizzare!
How can you look things so dark?
How can one hate hi/herself so much?
Lema, learn to learn about your people, and then you will learn to admire the Ethiopian people!
Arat-kilo

Art kilo, I am not looking dark beyond the reality lets face it that’s fact! Absolutely if we don’t face it now when do expect to resolve it. Art kilo

well i guess we just have a bad luck of leaders. look at haileslassie the most evil man when it comes to the tigray people. he totally ignored and let them die of hunger and illitracy and the tigrayans revolt and were killed by the amharas. and came mengustu who is worst than the first when it comes to tigray people and the same thing happen mother of tigray were massacred and smashed in the streets of hawzen. and 2 nd woyanes which is the second revolution started in 1975 and tplf formed and liberated the tigray people in particular and the ethiopian people in general
but again it happened we got a bad leader named meles who came from the opressed people who was thought he would end oppressinon of all ethiopians but instead as the curse of the banbinos for the red sox, again we got a dictator worst for ethiopia and tigray.
so i guess we just cursed...................

Email: BRUCK01@EARTHLINK.COM

agragwe i like that!

Friends,

You can blame River Nile, and also Red See (without which the Arab would have given less of an interest to our affairs and Eritrea would have nothing to rely on). You can also blame God for denying us rain and good leaders. But the fact still remains the current problem is a result of screw up of the student movement.

Arat Kilo,

Foreign involvement has always been a part of our history even during our feudal systems way before Haile Selassie. You know how our feudal lords jockeyed for power and tried to work with different foreign governments. But they never allowed foreigners to dictate them. Yes, foreign powers have contributed some, but the buck stops with us. This generation (the result of the student movement) screwed up and it is the source of the problem that seems to bedevil us.

Aregawi,

Your perspective seems to be purely tribal in nature. First, ask yourself if Haile Selassie was worse than Yohannes. The latter killed so many and forced so many to change their religions. You blame Haileselassie to be "the most evil man when it comes to the Tigray people. He totally ignored and let them die of hunger and illiteracy." This is tribal bull****, for lack of better expression (my apologies to all my readers).

If your views were not infected by tribal virus, you would know that Tigray was no worse than Wello. Did Wollo have more schools than Tigray during Haile Selassie’s time? Did Wollo have more clinics than Tigray? More roads? Even Shewa that was supposed to be the bastion of the Amhara kingdom was no better than Tigray. When TPLF came they wanted to show this but learned that the reality was different from what they preached to poor souls like you. If you take out Addis, which is the Capital of Ethiopia, you would find Shewa to be in the exact condition as in Tigray and Wollo. That is until the Tigrayan revolution came to power and started looting the rest of Ethiopia to develop Tigray. Now Tigray is better than Wollo and Shewa. You are totally blind to the crime against other regions, as long as Tigray is the beneficiary.

You shamelessly suggested, "The tigrayans revolt were killed by the amharas." Let me ignore your allegation about Amhara. Do you know that Gojam (an Amhara region) suffered as much as Tigray, if not more so, during Haileselassies regime? Or are you blind to history?

You continued: "and came mengustu who is worst than the first when it comes to tigray people and the same thing happen mother of tigray were massacred and smashed in the streets of hawzen." Again your tribal virus seems to have overtaken your thinking process. Mengitu killed all Ethiopians. Those who fought him harder got more operation. TPLF and EPLF established their bases in Tigray. If you have seen the problem more objectively and detach yourself from tribal thinking the reason behind Mengistu's operation would have been clearer. I do not know who, but someone some time ago wrote Tigray and Wollo should blame God that has created them with no natural resources. But your entire attempt to suggest that Tigray was suppressed more than other regions and Tigray was denied of federal resources from the center more so than the other regions is nothing short of tribal crap.

The current problem is the result of screw up by the student movement. There is no easy way to sugarcoat that. Sorry if I rained on your parade!

Mamo Qilo

Mamo is stuck now with "...student movement screw up..." "Theory" of his!
This is a new "Theory" of his that no one shares, except Jadu!
He wants us to ignore the millions of dollars taken away from the country by top officials and their friends and families!
This is happening while they are in office and when they leave!
Mamo has shown a trend of supporting or advocating for the rich and the famous (the so called successful in his mined)
Whether these people earn their money or steal from the people, Mamo try to defend them by diverting our attention to a different direction.
When the subject at hand, as it was put by Yohannes is way are we always poor, he claims "...the student movement..."
Mamo,
Get a grip!
Student movements are not something that happens or happened just in Ethiopia, it is everywhere and will be everywhere (including in the wealthier nations)!
As it happened in the past, it did happened now recently in Ethiopia. As Students have sacrifice their lives in the past they did it now again for the right cause!

Mamo,
Now you have shown this forum that you are defender of the rich and the thieves!
Blamed student movements for economic crisis of the country and said nothing about the country being ripped off!

Arat-ki

Arat Kilo,

This is to let you know that I read your reply, almost ones.

Mamo Qilo

What is almost once means?
Are you triybg to say you read it half way?
You don't have to read it at all!
It is not a personal message, it is posted for all to read, if any one wishes to read!
Arat-kilo

Arat Kilo,

This is to let you know that .....

Mamo Qilo

Arat- kilo I don’t even agree with Mamo some his view but he got some truth some of his point you should listen to him. Mamo will teach you. No crying we all grown up Arat- Kilo eshi, I have to babysit you since you are emotional.

Mamo: Please enlighten us...

Why do you hold the student movement responsible for the atrocities currently being committed by Meles & Co?

Mergem! Yohannes,yegna yesheikwochin ergeman kelal aderghiew way? sent geze tersachin eskiregeef chat kamenibet eko! eh! Kalen koyen eko!

Kunicha,

You asked: "Why do you hold the student movement responsible for the atrocities currently being committed by Meles & Co?"

Simple. Because they are the result of the student movement. By the way, I lke your screen name. Do you jump around? Is that why you got your nick name? I got mine, because, my friends in the second grade thought I was as dumb as Mamo Qilo. I believe I still have the quality that gave me the name. Henc the reason I keep it.

Mamo Qilo

mamo
stop blaming one group for the failed political process ethiopia is in. the student movement can be one of the many factors,
but
you should ask your self why does the students revolt in the first place and meles& co went to the jungle to fight for justice. was it because what is happening in darfur now happened in tigray at that time. don't try to see things just from your perspective, try to see the other side of the coin then you will find the truth.

Email: BRUCK01@EARTHLINK.COM

the enemy of ethiopia is ethiopia look at wayyane they r 5% of ethiopia they control allmost everytiny from economy to military.look during hailesslase and mengistu the amhara controled everything the military and the economy and the non amhara tribe have to speak amharic by force.the question is who is ethiopian are all ethiopians equal r the ogaden as equal as the wayyane r the gambellas as equal as the wayyane r the oromoa as equal as wayyane r the amhara as equal as weyyame. mamma ethiopa have to answer this question,so all the opposition i mean all staring with OLF CDU ONLF TPLF AND THE REST HAVE TO SIT DOWN AND SORT THE PROBLEMS AND RESPECT ERITREA SOVRENITY SO NO MORE SUFFERING WE CAN SWIN IN ASSAB TOGETHER OTHERWISE THIS ELECTION IS NOT GOING TO SOLVE ETHIOPIAN AND ERITREAN PROBLEM.

Email: mahari5@aol .com

City: london

It seems that none of you answered the original question posted by Yohannes “What could be the problem that they are living in misery that they don't deserve?”

Yohannes also pointed out what others told him about the culture of Ethiopians and Eritreans. They said, "they are knowledgeable, clever, hardworking, friendly, peace loving, cultured and not vindictive".

Born and grown up in Addis, I must agree with one special character of Ethi-Erit people. That is “Knowledgeable”. Craving for knowledge is actually what shaped and molded the traditions from time immemorial. Nevertheless, the kind of knowledge the civilization has embraced is not knowledge for matter, an objective scientific knowledge.

The Ethi-Erit mind is filled with mythical, theological, and associative psychological dramas. The results or consequences of these sorts of know ledges, which had been implanted for centuries, is a typical conditions that prevail in the present society.

In one hand, what bond all the diverse groups of people together are the very myths and associative psychologies of the past centuries. On the other face, these are the very factors that prevent people to see things objectively and clearly, basic scientific principles to form a health and sustainable society.

Knowledge is nothing but a tool. If guided by “self-knowledge”, it can be an effective tool to manage nature’s challenge. Without SK, it is like playing with nuclear weapon.

The question is the understanding of what “self-knowledge” is? Well, the Ethi-Erit ethos will mostly likely answer this by quoting “thou shall know thyself” from their knowledge database. But, database is a data. To understand “oneself” objectively, one needs to objectively interact with all natural elements of life. Without objective relationship, a subjective life is bound to drain and leads to violence or misery. Quoting a data forever leads to no social and ecological evolution. It leads to a deterioration of the mind and the society, which I think is a case not only in Ethi-Erit but also in most parts of the world, in different forms.

Can someone please enlighten me regarding how the establishment of a national language was a bad thing? Wasn't it an attempt to unify disparate groups?

Aregawi, what happened to Meles and company that, in your words "went to jungle for justice"? Did they go and fight for 20 years to take power to kill innocent students. Tell us your perspective so we can understand it. Let us hear your side of the coin?

Mehari, Sorry I cannot respond to you. I was not able to understand your point. I bet you one US Dollar that you would not understand it if you went back and read it again. Please let me know if you did so I can send you the dollar.

Mamo Qilo

Human,

I read your analysis with interest. Well written and clear in its exposition. But it ended up without a punch line. What is the bottom line you wanted us to take from it? For me your analysis as developed is more like the conspiracy theory. It explains everything while explaining nothing.

Human said: "Born and grown up in Addis, I must agree with one special character of Ethi-Erit people. That is “Knowledgeable”. ..... The Ethi-Erit mind is filled with mythical, theological, and associative psychological dramas. The results or consequences of these sorts of knowledges, which had been implanted for centuries, is a typical conditions that prevail in the present society."

Qilo asks: "Pick a country on the face of the Earth that would not say this about itself?"

You continued on: "In one hand, what bond all the diverse groups of people together are the very myths and associative psychologies of the past centuries. On the other face, these are the very factors that prevent people to see things objectively and clearly, basic scientific principles to form a health and sustainable society."

My brother, this is a universal truth. It would even apply to Orangutan community.

Human wrote: "Knowledge is nothing but a tool. If guided by “self-knowledge”, it can be an effective tool to manage nature’s challenge. Without SK, it is like playing with nuclear weapon." Now your analysis is taking a nuclear physics dimention. I have no knowledge there so I would shut up.

Then you wrote: "The question is the understanding of what “self-knowledge” is? Well, the Ethi-Erit ethos will mostly likely answer this by quoting “thou shall know thyself” from their knowledge database. But, database is a data. To understand “oneself” objectively, one needs to objectively interact with all natural elements of life. Without objective relationship, a subjective life is bound to drain and leads to violence or misery. Quoting a data forever leads to no social and ecological evolution. It leads to a deterioration of the mind and the society, which I think is a case not only in Ethi-Erit but also in most parts of the world, in different forms."

This is what I said is like conspiracy theory: It explains everything while explaining nothing.

Mamo Qilo

Mahari,
Eriterians do have message board? What are you doing here? We don't need you. Please join your club. This is only for Ethiopians. That does include Tigrians.Sorry

Mamo Qilo said, “Now your analysis is taking a nuclear physics dimension. I have no knowledge there so I would shut up.”

Well, if you fell to understand this dimension, the later is bond to express a conspiracy theory. Will it not?

I will add in saying, “Watch your thoughts; they become your words. Watch your words; they become your actions. Watch your actions; they become your habits. Watch your habits; they become your character. Watch your character for it will become your destiny.” The root of “self”, as to examine self-knowledge, is you thoughts. To play with thoughts without any sense of knowledge on them is “like” playing with nuclear weapon.

This is a simple natural truth of being human. It doesn’t require specializing in a nuclear physics.

marta cdu r going to occupy tgray and eritrea asmara masawa assab so i am in this inferno capi lingua italina so we r in this inferno marta and mahari. if u do not want it tell cdu to forget about assab and consentrate to mekelle.

Email: mahari5@aol .com

City: london

Human,

What you wrote is exactly what I said. What you are saying is a "universal truth." That is why I said leave alone to human history and actions, it would apply ro Orangutans and Chimpanzees. So your excellent analysis is good to explain human and even chimpanzee history, but tells us nothing about why our generation screwed up. Try to look into the student movement that gave us Meles, among many tropical gangesters. That is all I am saying.

Mamo Qilo

If Mehari is the best EPLF has as PR footsoldier and propagandist, it is in more crisis than we think it is. Fifteen years ago, the likes of Professor Bereket were the spokes person both in person and in disguise using different names. Today Mehari is learning on, spelling, english and politics on this forum all at the same time. This is what Eritrea has to show after 15 years of freedom.

Human, I don't think your universal truth includes the likes of Mehari. Does it?

Mamo Qilo