Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Email Tony Blair asking to expel Meles from the AC

Please copy the following or write another one and email to Africa_Secretariat@dfid.gov.uk. Don't forget to add your name.

Prime Minister Tony Blair
Commission for Africa, Chairman
Dear Prime Minister
I am writing with regard to the upsurge of violence and atrocities in Ethiopia as result of the extremely brutal terrorist tactics of Prime Minister Meles Zenewi, who is one your Commissioners entrusted with the task of improving the fate of Africans.

As you know, one of the declared objectives of the Commission for Africa is promoting development, good governance, human rights and democracy across the African continent. Contrary to this, the atrocities committed by Meles Zenawi clearly show that he is neither committed to human rights nor democracy. During the latest round of the atrocious brutalities committed by Meles' special forces, over 36 unarmed civilians were shot dead while more than one hundred others sustained serious injuries from gun wounds only because they staged peaceful demonstrations in different parts of Addis Ababa and other parts of the country. The main reasons they staged protest rallies was to demand the release of thousands of students and civilians beaten and arrested in different parts of the country. Since 6th June 2005, thousands of university and college students have been arrested by the mass and are still detained at different torture camps. A large number of supporters, members and leaders of the opposition, estimated over 3,600, have also been illegally detained in military camps.

The people of Ethiopia have been expressing their anger across the country in peaceful manners. I am gravely concerned that my country is now at a greater danger than ever because of the tyrannical rule of Mr Meles. In protest against the undemocratic and dictatorial trend wilfully chosen by the government in Ethiopia, the people went on strike and are likely to continue to do so, making it even more dangerous because of the brutal reprisal measures of the government.

Prime Minister, I beseech you to initiate the expulsion of Meles Zenawi from the Commission for Africa whose good reputation and objectives can be tarnished. Not only that, if a tyrant like Meles Zenawi, who must face criminal charges, continue to serve as a Commissioner and key player in the Commission, it will no more be credible and its activities will be seen as a farcical exercise to improve the image of despots.

Prime Minister, I would also like you to exert your influence on Mr Meles not only to restrain his killer army and withdraw them from residential areas but also to resign peacefully and wisely to defuse the extremely dangerous situation created by his ruthless and tyrannical leadership.

With my highest consideration.

Yours sincerely,

Re: Email Tony Blair asking to expel Meles from the AC

I think we should all do that.

I have done that. We should all do.

Please do this. We should send emails across the globe.