Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
email congressioanl black cacus

Dear Honorable Members of Congressional Black Caucus,

I am writing to you this email as an Ethiopian-American who is grateful for the members of this caucus for what you are doing and have accomplished to strengthen democracy in the US and throughout the world. I also appreciate your conviction to promote democracy and good governance in the continent of Africa.

As you are aware, people of Africa are in constant struggle to liberate themselves from tyrants who undermine and impede their desire and struggle to be free from poverty and pandemic diseases. To this end, it was only three weeks ago that Ethiopians had a chance for the fist time in their history to democratically elect their leaders and went to the polls in unprecedented numbers to caste their ballots. And the preliminary results indicated that the oppositions have won the majority seats in the parliament. However, the current regime used different techniques to rig the election and announced their victories even before counting of the votes were completed. The people are protesting the government’s victory announcement and in return the government is terrorizing the people thru killing, arresting and intimidation. Four days ago the government shot and killed 36 innocent people including one newly elected legislator, wounded hundreds and detained thousands in inhumane conditions for peacefully stage demonstration demanding the proper count and disclosure of election results.

Honorable Members, I am aware that some of you are invited today for dinner reception at Ethiopian ambassador’s residence. I’d like to remind you that you will be having dinner with mass murderers who soon or later be brought to justice by the people of Ethiopia. Ethiopian people are being lynched by their own government, which reminds us of the recent history of African Americans. I have a collection of pictures that show the tragic atrocities committed by the regime in Ethiopia at the following link; I’d like to warn you that the photos are very graphic and disturbing. http://www.andenet.com/atrocities.htm

I request your Honorable Members, intervention to help the democratization process in Ethiopia and peaceful transition of power to the elected government.

Sincerely