Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Seeking amicable proposal

To EPRDF and Opposition Parties' Leaders who truely have a vision for better Ethiopia

1. Now the issue should be Ethiopians vs. those who commit voter fraud, not EPRDF vs CUD/UEDF and vice-versa. We can only stop these people if we come together as a whole to stop these acts instead of blaming the political parties. It is so naive to assume that only EPRDF break the law when it comes to unethical voting practices. The people votes and that should be respected from all sides.

Let's provide all the necessary support and backup to NEBE and the federal judiciary to do their jobs independently without any outside influence;

2. The majority of Ethiopians must be kept contented, and quiescent. The ruling party, through control of the media, should refrain from attempting to persuade the majority that all is well and should stop shifting the blame to opposition parties. The opposition parties should accept all peaceful accords without putting preconditions even if that sounds convincing;

3. EPRDF should be reminded again and again that when the voters desire radical change, therefore, it becomes vitally important to reflect that change quickly and smoothly in policies and political institutions; blockage of that desire subverts the democratic process itself, and polarizes the situation so as to threaten or even bring about violent conflict in society. In its recent politbureau meeting, however, EPRDF chose to remain as inflexible as ever as far as its political outlook and economic policies are concerned. If ballots are indeed to be a substitute for bullets, then the ballots have to be allowed to work and take rapid effect in outlook and policy changes;

4. Last but not least, whatever the cause of June 8th incident in Addis that costs us the unfortunate death of morethan 30 unarmed Ethiopian civilians including children and elderly should be investigated before too late. The government should play a leading role in this respect. Who was behind those innocent people to make them a sacrifical lamb and who ordered an excessive action to kill those who only carried stones are questions the people would like to know as soon as possible.

Email: reach_martha@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

What an idea!

Martha, what a lady! You are the first to not adding fuel to the fire since the June 8 massacre in Addis. My congradulations! Thumps up!

Miki
Addis Ababa

Email: reach_miki@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Re: Seeking amicable proposal

Martha,

Well balanced statement and amicable voice of reason. I believe the opposition has made it clear both n words and action that they would support the rule fo law to run its course. They have in no uncertain terms accepted a peaceful resolution, without any precondition. The government on the other hand continued to surround and arrest members of the opposition. Some of the elected individuals have been gunned down. It appears clear to me only the opposition is interested in a peaceful resolution. It is the government that is using violence to remian in power. This is what all international observers are saying. Even the US government that has been supporting Meles has publicly asked it to stop the violence and respect international human rights.

My question to you is how can piece prevail if the government is bent on using violence to stay in power? May be you can shed some light on this.

I think we should give the credit where it is due. And it should go to the opposition who have won the election according to EU and other observers and still pursue a peacefull means to defend the wishes of the people. The ban on peaceful demonstration was against the very constitution that EPRDF drafted, ratified and adopted. It is meta constitutional for the PM to declare what he declared. So the demonstrators have all the right granted to them by the law of the land. As I am sure you know the first day was a peaceful demonstration no stone throwing. It was not until the second day that the demonstrators threw stone even then when the police stared to beat them. The killing started in the firt day. Let us make it clear for the record, the violence started with the government forces. And again stone throwing should not be responded by machine guns aimed at the head of innocent demonstrators.

Mamo Qilo