Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OPDO and Meles

In 2004 Meles arrested Oromo students who organized a demonstration to move the capital city of Oromia to Addis / Finfine. This has been documented by international human rights organizations. OPDO was behind this, but was not bold enough to support the students, lest Meles would be mad at them and kick them out of the parlament. Today Meles is weak and OPDO is annoncing its move in public. Meles's power is being chiped down. Even his handpicked footsoldiers are undermining him.

TPLF is finished, done with, alas.

Mamo Qilo

Re: OPDO and Meles

I have really got no reason to wonder wether it is in adma or addis. It is a shame for Meles and OPDU. why???

Do not ask us. Ask Meles why he did not allow OPDO to declare Addis as the capital city of Oromia. The bottom line is that Meles is being undermined by OPDO. Sorry that you find this heartful. We grieve with you for Meles.

Mamo Qilo

The idea of moving the capital to Finfine is Mellese idea just to weaken cud position. This shows TPLF position about Ethiopia.

Email: injibara@yahoo.com

City: amsterdam

No, Meles was objected to the idea of moving the capital of Oromia to Addis. Go read reports by many international human rights groups. Many AAU students who organized demonstration to support this plan were arrested and some run away. The fact that OPDO proposes and pushes this at this time shows that they no longer fear Meles.

Mamo Qilo

Email: mamoqilo@yahoo.com

Mamo Kilo,
What makes you think that Meles would not change his mind to divert attention? I think Meles and his small clique will do anything to stay in power. Disseminating stories that echo ‘fear of the unknown’ in society is one tactic they use to buy time. For example here in DC area TPLF cadres have been echoing the following propagandas last couple of weeks, since the election outcome was known to be against them…

o The Oromos will take over power and will rule the
country if TPLF is kicked out. This is
playing 'fear of the unknown’ tactic. Ethiopians do
not have a problem if the Capital of Oromia is in
Finfine or Adama. We do not have any fear if OPDO
built its office in ‘finfine’. We know that just
like any other organization it is their right to do
so. But the question is weather or not OPDO will be
able to use the office. Heck, it is even
questionable if OPDO will exist as an organization
after the current Tsunami. It might be swallowed by
Dr. Merara Gudina’s organization.

o There are no alternative leaders that can replace
the current leaders. The biggest insult of all is
this one. I heard it from many tigreans in DC. It
really annoys me to hear it from one of the biggest
looser in DC.

o The opposition leaders are too old and they will
die or retire before they take office
o The PM is ‘intelligent’ and we have invested
fourteen years to give him on the job training to
make him a leader, so we should not waste that by
taking him out
o Their most outrageous propaganda is when they claim
the election is based on ethnic hatred not on
failure of policy. The truth is, they were the one
who were propagating ethnic hatred. Take for
example the vote in Tigrai killil as a whole; while
there were very few independent and opposition
candidates that promote multi ethnicity, 99% of the
vote in the killil went to Tigrai Peoples
Liberation Front (TPLF). Liberation from whom?What
kind of Liberation?

WELCOME TO THE FINAL CHAPTER OF TPLF & ZENAWI’S ERA.
LONG LIVE ETHIOPIA.
THE ETHIOPIAN PEOPLE WILL BE VICTORIOUS.

City: Washington DC

Mamito,
Listen to Birhan?
I think he has a lot of good points!
Don't you think so?

I think many of us are out of touch with the reality. WE seem to forget that this is an absolute dicatator regime. The move has never been OPDO's initiative and it is not their initiative now. It is part of the grand Scheme meles is trying to creat havock in the country and wedge amongst people: the only way eh think of justifying his continued rule to the people and the international community. Do you know tens of millions have been spent for planing Adama to make her the seat of Oromiya and hundreds of miilions already spent to build offices. The money would have built could have built "Oromia University"/hospitals etc..
Of course the biggest other objective is to chirp away oppositions hold on the administartion of Addis they have won.
It is unwise to underestimate Meles at any stage, even fleeing the country.

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

Arat Kilo,

I am in complete agreement with Berhan. His points are well taken. I must however say that we need to distinguish tactics from startegy and desperate act.

Meles is in desperate situation. If Meles is behind the move to move the capital of Oromia to Addis it shows desperation, not tactic or strategy. Remember, all OPDO can get is no more than 30 some votes. Marara Gudina and company have taken in more. As Berhan rightly said, after the current sunami, OPDO will not survive, leave alone distabilize Ethiopia. Two weeks ago I predicted EPRDF will collapse as a party. As I said again, the only way EPRDF may survive as a party is if it manages to sack Meles and replace him with a less controvercial person and accept the fact that the opposition had won the election.

Arat Kilo, you and I are on the same wave length on Ethiopian politics. We share the same last name. I spellit with Q, you spell it with K. Berhane is right on the money.

Mamo Qilo

PS: I sent the horrible pictures to over 200 organizations and journalists. With a title: In the Name of Humanity - Be a Voice for the voiceless.

Email: mamoqilo@yahoo.com