Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
standard text.

Can any one draft a standard text post on this forum so that we can all send forceful and similar messages to our senators and who ever is in authority ?

Email: alem_tesfa@yahoo.com

Re: standard text.

I as an Ethiopian believe that this crisis is the logical outcome of the flawed electoral process, which was intended to snatch the expressed will of the Ethiopian people through deceit, intimidation and persecution. Stunned by the determination of the voters and the outcome that would have ended his ethno-apartheid regime, Prime Minster Meles Zenawi had declared what amounts to a state of emergency prohibiting all forms of public gathering and imposed media blockade against the opposition and civic groups.

Humiliated by the outcome of the election, the regime has intensified its reign of terror and vengeful acts against civilians. Thousands, including election observers and supporters of the opposition groups have been imprisoned, killed and disappeared.

It is clear that these barbaric acts have generated huge resentments and defiance by ordinary people. Hence, no wonder that there is a nationwide upsurge of anger and a mood of defiance by students of higher learning institutions. I fear that the escalation of the tension and state violence against unarmed citizens will pave the way for a nationwide civil disobedience. Should the regime continue with its repressive acts, the situation may lead to further bloodshed and chaos.

While I applaud the courageous act of young people and ordinary Ethiopians in the face of state assault, we urge the international community to support the expressed will of Ethiopians and to stand by the nation and the people who are determined to secure the well being of their children.

I firmly believe that it would be an act of irony if the international community were to take a different stance in Ethiopia’s predicament when similar democratic upsurges were supported elsewhere.

Particularly, I believe that as one of the major donor nations, the British Government has a moral responsibility to pressure Mr Melese Zenawi’s regime to desist from its acts of terror and to respect the expressed will the Ethiopian people.

Sternly concerned by the situation, I call upon:

1. All Ethiopians

1.1. To stand together, regardless of differences, in order to defend our legitimate rights and dignity

1.2. As often stated, a ‘nation that fails to defend its youth fails to secure its future’. Our recent past is a testimony of what could happen if we are complacent about the values we cherish – our fundamental rights and the well being of our children

2. The International Community

2.1. To condemn the repressive and barbaric act of the EPRDF regime and to put pressure on Mr Zenawi to desist from the act of terror against students, civilians and opposition leaders

2.2. To pressure the regime to remove its security forces from the campuses of the institutions of higher learning and to allow the resumption of normal classes

2.3. To pressure the regime to immediately release all political prisoners with no pre-conditions and to bring to justice those who had committed criminal acts and violence against students and civilians

2.4. To pressure the regime to immediately lift the state of emergency and media blockade against the opposition

2.5. To pressure the ruling regime to allow an independent investigation into the alleged election irregularities and to respect its outcome.

The Coordinating Committee of the Joint Task Force for Free and Fair Election in Ethiopia

8 June 2005, London, United Kingdom

Email: ethio10@yahoo.com

City: Addis

Please be patient

It is for CUD leaders and CUD followers. I think you are understimating the power of EPdRf. What kind of stratagy are you using? you can't win with armed strugle against the ruling party. I think you should stick with the peacefull srugle. You are embarecing the Ethiopian people.

Email: mo7770@hotmail.com

City: Toronto

Re: standard text.

Mo, you missed a few letters when you wrote your name. I will spell it for you--Mamokillo

City: chicago