Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CUD/UEDF: create a shadow cabinet

A recommendation for CUD/UEDF to create a shadow cabinet

June 3, 2005
ethiopianreview.com

Ethiopian Review recommends to CUD and UEDF to create a joint shadow cabinet, which is a standard practice in a parliamentary system of government such as the one that exists in Ethiopia. There are many benefits for creating a shadow cabinet:

1. By announcing to the public what their cabinet would look like, CUD/UEDF would have the people's confidence that they are ready to form a government. There would be no doubt in the mind of the people about whether the opposition is ready to govern.

2. The international community would also have confidence in the opposition, and be more easily persuaded to vigorously support the opposition parties' demand for reelection in all areas where voting irregularities occurred.

3. A power vacuum would not exist between the EPRDF's exit and the formation of a new government by CUD/UEDF. A power vacuum could expose the country to grave dangers, such as a military dictatorship. This alone should be a reason to create a shadow cabinet as soon as possible.

4. The new government would not waste a lot of time filling cabinet and department posts. The adjustment will be minimal.

5. There would be a division of labor, reducing the bottleneck in the current decision-making process. The leadership as a group does not have to meet for every decision making. For example, on national security matters, the person designated to be a shadow minister of defense, with the authority he/she has been given from the leadership group, and following its stated policy, would communicate with the current minister and the military commanders about the opposition's defense policy, as well as reminding them that their loyalty should be to the nation, and not to a single party or individual.

6. Having a shadow defense minister who is consistently reminding the military rank and file about their constitutional responsibilities would play a critical role in preventing the Meles regime from unleashing the military's fire power on the people.

Once the shadow cabinet has been formed, the designated cabinet members would to start communicating with the current cabinet members. Since the system of government in Ethiopia is that of parliamentary, there is no legal reason for the current government ministers to resist talking with the ministers in waiting.

Shadow cabinet is not a new concept. In the U.K., for example, the opposition Conservative Party has a well-publicized shadow cabinet. When the political parties campaign for election, the party in opposition announces its shadow cabinet before the election campaign begins. The U.K. Parliament incorporates in its official registry the opposition parties' shadow cabinet as a legally recognized structure.

Even in the U.S. where there is a presidential system of government, there is a series discussion about creating a shadow cabinet.

There is no reason for the opposition parties in Ethiopia, where the existing parliamentary system of governmental calls for a shadow cabinet, to be hesitant of taking this crucial step. Both CUD and UEDF have several highly competent people who have just been elected to the parliament from Addis Ababa alone. Put these people to work right now. Let the Ethiopian people and the international community hear from them, too.

We hope that CUD and UEDF leaders will accept the recommendation and appoint a joint commission that will facilitate the process of creating a shadow cabinet as soon as possible.

Ethiopian Review
ethiopianreview.com
June 2, 2005

ER readers are encouraged to express their views on this subject. Some of the views will be posted.

Re: CUD/UEDF: create a shadow cabinet

This is a great idea. I hope CUD will put it to work right away.

I am not sure this is a good idea at this time. It would be construed as the old EPRP's "provisional people's government",which would then draw the competing parties in to confrontation. Why cant the Ethiopian Review editors leave the role of leadership to the political leaders at home? (Am I being naïve here?)

Yilma:

The shadow cabinet idea is a logical one. First of all, if the competing parties are drawn into confrontation now over a shadow cabinet, they will definitly do the same when it comes to actually taking over power. Secondly, you do not compare CUD and UEDF with EPRP, Derg and all the other parties who have as their sole strategy killing each other off to in order to come to power. CUD and UEDF are trying to form a government through peaceful and legal means. You are comparing apples and oranges, my friend.

Excellent idea. It will have a positive phsycological effect the people. It is already affecting me. I was begnining to lose hope that Meles will be in power for another 5 years. By presenting an alternative to the current administration, the oppostion groups will put more pressure on the government to step down. The more I think about, the more I feel it is a wonderful plan.
Thank you.
Brook from Tempe Arizona

Dear ER, if shadow cabinet is normally done in others countries, may be UEDF and CUD are already working on it. If they are, then they need to tell us. If not I think this is a good proposal and should be implemented. I'm excited about it. I disagree with comerade yilma that we should leave every thing to the leaders. In democracy, it is often people who take the initiative to do things. Please get out of the Marxist era mentality that let the vangaurd party decide every thing for us.

Tena yistilign

I like this ideas, with one exception. Both CUD and UEDF each need to form their own shadow cabinet. As a political science student, I've done little study in this area. In other coutries with parliamentary system, every political party has its own shadow cabinet. Only when one party fails to gain the majority of seats in the House that two or three parties get together and form an acual coalition government. So even though the idea is a good one, my suggestion would be for each party to form and annouce its shadow cabinet. Thank you for making the recommendation and letting your readers talk about it.
Jon
Tokyo

Jon,

I understand what you are saying - but I think in the current circumstances, EthiopianReview is right. The shadow cabinet is essentially a cabinet in waiting. It is highly unlikely that either one of these parties could win by itself, but together is a great likelihood. It is this special likelihood that makes it necessary to send a strong signal that the opposition is not just opposing, but is able to step in and take over. Keep in mind that one of the problems many people who otherwise like the opposition have is the fear that the opposition is not ready to govern such a huge and complex country.

Selam. I completely agree that we need this thing. There is a huge anxiety among the people about the readiness and strength of the parties. People want to remove woyanne. But want to be reassured by the opposition parties. Shadow cabinet will serve that purpose.

This is good idea to ethiopia.And for many reasons such as:1.Ethiopia's political leadership necessarly should get change from its northern part to its southern area in its 3000 yrs history 2.Ethiopia needs some fundamental political, economical,social & cultural changes in order to be developed country 3.He is profesionally & practically fit to lead Ethiopia in unity & sovereignty,prosperity & peacefully,etc.,I suggest DR.MERERA GUDINA to lead the shadow cabinet & successively the actual/real cabinet of Ethiopia hopefully that may be real in Feb./2006.

Email: mehariabera@yahoo.com

City: Denver

I think Ethiopia review is Meddling in unnecessary situations.You guy`s are trying To create a havoc & a tent ions between peoples. how In the world do u think possible to form Illegitimate Government defying the Constitution ????
we all know you guy`s are 100% blind supporters of CUD.
You guy`s are encouraging a blood shed to happen.the move is quite similar To that OF EPRP (ehapa) .naively Thinking To take down the Current government with violence.
DEAR Ethiopian review Editors . please desist from this kind of political bankruptcy & forces on Other issues.Let The people decide as they have done last MAY -15. Don`t come up with such kind Of EVIL,ridicules-Outrageous,, Ideas. The tension back home is To Hot To Handel at this Period of time.. Don`t Incite people.......

Hello Meriber,
The main leader of the opposition now is Ato Hailu Shawel, so he should be the shadow prime minister, and be allowed by to appoint his shadow cabinet. Ato Hailu is also solid as a rock. This kind of character is need in a time of great uncertainty. My suggestion for Dr Merera Gudina is the position of defense minister or interior minister becuase his party did not perform as well as CUD. This kind of discussion may make the old fashion politicans who are used to back room deals unconfortable. EPRDF cadres, as we are already witnessing, will also get nerveous. Because they know the impact of such a move by the opposition parties. I think Ethiopian Review is providing a great service by presenting this propsal and allowing people to comment on it. Let the people air their voice on what the make up of the next government will be.
Best wishes,
Dawit

City: Addis Ababa

Dear discussants,

Forming a shadow cabinet is a serious proposal. In my humble opnion, it would work if a) the opposiiton accepts the same government structure. In the case of Ethiopia, accepting the existing structure would mean the opposition going along with the woyanne structure for divide and rule, namely the ethnic based administrative regions that are exculsive to members of local ethnic groups. Neither Ethiopian opposition coalitions (CUD and UEDF) accept that, even though they have gone along with the way the constituencies have been organized for the general elections.

bThe shadow cabinet idea works also if the constitution has provisions for setting it up. I would expect a shadow cabinet to have access to the official media, official parliament and similar other official facilities. These are not acessible, adn there is hardly anything a shadow cabinet could/would do in the situation where the current regime appears prepared to use teh armed forces against Ethiopians in order to stay in power.

But of course, I am only sharing my thoughts, and I stand to be corrected.

REgards,

Email: tsehaibs@eircom.net

City: Buttevant

Dear Ethiopians,

I have no idea to share here in as long as I am not that much perfect in politics. What I want to say is that there is a need of immediate action to organize and lead the people to the over through of the Woyane regime. People are suffering in country sides and also in the cities. Some are being killed some others harassed and bitted and so on. I don’t expect any improvement from the election board to make corrections on the irregularities of the election processes. EPRDF is also forwarding in continuing the ruling exercises as usual. I feel that now we are in danger. I suggest all politicians to see the ins and outs, pros and cons of the proposal sent be Ethiopian Review and act immediately.

Blindly speaking there is a fear among the people that the movement will calm down and EPRDF will continue. The proposal may give hope to the people that there will definitely be a change of government. In addition to that so long as CUD and UEDF have different supporters the joint formation of the cabinet will create a united mentality in the parties and the people too. We have lost lots of lives the past 14 years during similar movements and now also the same thing is happening. We have to go forward with the movement guided by tactical and politically fit ideas from Ethiopians all over the world. More over both parties, CUD and UEDF, have to reach the rural areas in different ways to encourage the people to forward and also to hear what is happening in different places. The existing movement is not only in the cities. It is much more hot and strong at the rural areas.

God bless Ethiopia and give strength to all oppositions

Email: talbelaysik@yahoo.com

City: Addis

Re: CUD/UEDF: create a shadow cabinet! Ethiopian review`s Incitement proposal

We Ethiopians, like any other society, have a political past and present. Our limited experiences in party politics, which we never admit the case to be, has been a major hindrance to any substantial democratic social formation. Ever since political parties came in to appearance, which dates only mid 1970s, all what we have been hearing and seeing are rhetoric. After all these times and with the clear indication of the Ethiopian people standing firmly for peaceful change, EPRP is calling upon us to be ready for sacrifice and battle. Any thing that comes from EPRP smells blood.

The leaders of this obsolete group stay in hibernation only to wake up when the people reach at a turning point. This author remembers when EPRP in 1991-92 boasted that its armed wing is gonna take wayane by surprise for ultimate victory. Only that it tried, in the name of Coalition, to mobilize the disbanded Ethiopian army in exile in Kenya refugee camps. The action was a failure because for one thing EPRP was conspiring against the very Coalition that it was only a member. The group had failed in various instances of its armed activities. Here it's not necessary to discuss each of them. I strongly believe that what ever coalition, if the EPRP is a part then its doomed to disintegration.

According to the EPRP there should be no need to organize a political group when already I(EPRP) exist. One can find this argument in various articles produced by them. Recently, it has raised the same question when CUD group creates a separate coalition. Character assassinations, isolating individuals of independent thinking, insult and rumor spreading is among the few obsolete methods still used by the EPRP. Let all political forces minimize their differences and find a way to work for a common good. The over all situation of our people necessitates this.

Since the record of history this country has remained at the bottom of development. Living condition is the worst on the planet at any standard. Our politics was, thanks to senior politicians like EPRP, concomitant to our mode of life. Its full of lies, hatred, vengeance, and petty tricks deprived from the taste of the ultimate difficulties faced by the people.

Now it seems that the people of Ethiopia got the opportunity they had been denied. They have had a say in their political destiny. Actually, this is a basic human right that could only be suppressed by dictators. Rich or poor, wealthy or destitute, all human beings in every nation need to benefit from this basic right. The current parliamentary election was a living testimony to the capability of not only the Ethiopians but also all human beings to determine their own will.

The situation is a clear indication to the growing maturity of the political forces as well, opposition or the force in power. The hardest decision for a ruling power in countries like Ethiopia is to respect the ultimate rights of citizens in political maters. Ethiopians scored the point showing the world that there is no compromise with regard to exercising their rights. This is the beginning of the long journey to the formation of a full-fledged democratic society. The task of moving forward rests on all political forces, which have contributed to this achievement. Due credits to the wayane forces as well, whether they did soften their hand consciously or from under estimation of the verdict by the people. Let the wayanes believe in what they think is right, but act in accordance to the peoples will.

The other political forces need to show their standpoint without entering into petty dialogue. Actions should reflect the true feelings of the people. People need peace, unity and progress. These are achievable dreams only in an atmosphere where the rule of low prevails. Mutual respect and constructive dialogue is a reflection of matured politics. I have witnessed greater maturity in our people. Who ever won the May 7 contest, allow the people's dream come true through your leadership.

splinded Idea,

why cant ER dedicate a site for this purpose and let the speculation begin,

who could make a good
Prime Minster?
foreign minster
health minster
education minster
deffense minster

Email: tarikud@hotmail.com

City: macon

Great idea! I like to contribute $1,000 to help CUD and UEDF put this idea to reality.

TuTo,
I don't know much about Ethiopian politics yet. I just started to pay close attention. Either as jointly or separately, I wish to see a shadow cabinet formed by the opposition. By taking this action, they will demonstrate that they are mentally and structurally prepared to form the next government.
Have a nice day,
Jon

Oh I forgot. I wanna also contribute money (upto 1000 dollars) towards this end. Thanks.

I think a couple of facts need to be told here: 1) CUD is not EPRP. EPRP never believed in peaceful struggle. If you are in doubt, read its most recent DEMOCRACIA. Some of you who are trying to associate EPRP with CUD must be intellectually dishonest or least informed. 2) UEDF and its highly competent leaders, Dr. Beyene and Dr. Merrara failed to secure principal role out of May 15 election partly beacuse of their association with EPRP and Meison. These two organizations became real liability to the two wonderfully capable leaders. Hence, CUD attained leading opposition role out of the May 15 election by way of ballots.

That said, those in Diaspora who are interested in the affairs of their country of origin have every right to supplement and complement the party of their choices. That is not to say, however, meddling in a self-serving way is good. At a time like this, sobriety and prudence are what is needed most; the political leadership at home has plenty of it, at least so far. In fact, if some of you had your way, May 15 could not have happened. In my opinion, Ethiopian Review editors crossed that line when they know better.

Ato Yilma,
You sound like my uncle Gash Getachew who is a lont time politico. One time he threw a chair at me for suggesting that EPRP change its name. It's ok to disagree, but do not resist discussing new ideas.
Brook
Tempe AZ

In principle, the idea of establishing a shadow government seems to be timely. However there are three areas worth addressing in doing so.

1. CUD/UEDF is a coalition, not a single party unlike that of Labor in Britain, so the composition of cabinet posts would be a party mix which makes it a little difficult.

2. The election is still in process, and each party's cabinet representation might have to be based on the proportionate number of seats in parliament. On the other hand the final tally of the vote is not yet known yet, complicating the process.

3. If CUD/UEDF intend to merge into one party, that might help simplify the establishment of the shadow government.

4. What do you think? I am willing to learn from net scholars

Selam Ato. Habtamu

You summed it up eloquently. For all practical purposes, the election is not complete yet, and even some of the alliances in the opposition camp are relatively of unknown quality, particularly UEDF. Even the leading opposition alliance, CUD, has some issues to sort out prior to addressing the issue of shadow government. Simply put, the timing for shadow government is not now. If anything it does is to create a new dimension in an already volatile political environment.

My dear sister Brook: Me no "Gashe Getachew". I am also not afraid of new ideas. What I am saying here is that the idea of shadow government is not new; it is simply the wrong idea under the current circumstances of Ethiopia.

With love!

I am totally for the shadow government idea. The opposition should not only name officials for the cabinet position but also for speaker of the house, presidents( or whatever they are called) for the regions they are sure to win ( Amhara, Oromia, South, Addis Ababa etc.)President of the country etc.
1. It will make the foreign observers take the
opposition for real
2. It will let know the people of the country
who their future leaders will be and hence they
will intensify their struggle
3. It will enable the oppostition to advocate
their alternative policy of the different
sectors through the new officials
The down side of it thoug, is that EPRDF will now exactly who to attack. Defaming, intimidating and harassing ( including their families), threatning to arrest and/or get rid of them(I am afraid of using the word kill- God forbid), and actually doing it.

Dawit,
The opposition is one[EXEPT THOSE FALSELY ACUSE ETHIOPIA AS A COLONISER OF ITS OWN LAND].So it does't matter whether CUD or UEDF got more votes & the shadow cabinet is led by Hailu S.or Hailu A.or Merera G.,etc.But we should not forget to put the right person in the right post according to their profession,experience,etc.
Thank you a lot!

Dear Ato Yilma,
So are you saying that CUD and UEDF are not ready to take over government? If they are not ready to form shadow cabinet, what makes you think they are ready to take over government? Please explain this to me.
Regards,
Abera

What a BRILLIANT IDEA!!

This will bring more CONFIDENT and ANSWER for those unanswered questions from both fellow citizens and for the INTERNATIONAL ones. This gave me more confident ....

GO FOR IT!! kinijit AND hibret. Tell us what you say.
It feels great to see we start rising. INDEED ETHIOPIA WILL PREVAIL.

selam

Email: hager_wedad@hotmail.com

Gash Yilma,

what r u afraid of? Are u saying that the idea of a shadow cabinet by itself leads the country into chaos, or EPRDF will have hard time dealing with it and will resort to violence? If the latter one is the case, I say they should go ahead and do it. Because, just because EPRDF aignt gonna be happy about something, does it mean people should be kept from making good moves? NO! But if ur problem is with the ideaology of shadow cabinet as a whole, explain plz!

"wacko",

I don't see anything more wack and power hungry than a man who is considered "progressive", but wouldn't get off his post for 14 years and still keeps stayin and stayin!

Merriber,

what do u mean by :"EXCEPT THOSE WHO BLAME ETHIOPIA FOR COLONIZING ITS OWN LAND"? Hey man, if u wanna move ahead in life, u gotta admit what happened in the past. Only that can say how truthful u r gonna be in ur life to come! You have to be able to admit that the Ethiopia you and I call our country today didn't have the same geographical shape hundreds of yeays ago. It is true that MINILIK colonized ethnic groups in the south to include them in what is today Ethiopia! So don't give me the crap that nobody colonized anybody aight! Its true that happened. But the point is, one we have come together, once we have passed through the good and bad days together, once we have been labelled "the people that never faced colony" together, and once we have been labeled "the people that come from the famine stricken country", its better that we stay together and make the best out of the future! When we are together, its a bigger market, its an access to different typed of natural resources, what one don't have the other has, etc! So, don't try to base a country on lies aight!

Ethiopian Review,

I don't see anything wrong with setting up the recommended Shadow Cabinet. As a matter of fact, its a wonderful idea that helps shut the mouths of the forever and baseless critiques that say the opposition is not ready to lead. The opposition should make a statement by bringing its competent/educated and for the first time peacefully elected leaders to the front!

And I don't by this bias about how CUD and UEDF will have hard time getting along. These are educated, sincere and smart people. I am definately sure they will put their egos aside and work for the betternment of their country by peacefully working out on their differences. Though I have doubts about some of them personally, Looking at Dr. Birhanu Nega, Prof. Mesfin (I know he didnt run for office), Dr. Merera, and Dr. Beyene just gives me delight and a bright hope for the future of our country!

Selam Dr Tsehay:

Thank you for participating in this discussion and adding your valuable insight. Please allow me to ask you two questions?

1. You said the shadow cabinet idea "would work if a) the opposiiton accepts the same government structure." Don't you think, by participating in the election the parties have already accepted the same gvt structure?

2. You said, "The shadow cabinet idea works also if the constitution has provisions for setting it up." I've done a lot of research on this subject, and I could not find in the consitutions of other countries that have a shadow cabinet structure any provision about setting up shadow government. Can you point me to one?

Respectfully,
Elias

wow, I was preparing an article regarding this idea and I was elated when I read it here. ER said it better thank I could ever explain it but what is a better way than convinsing the international and even the ethiopian public that we have something in hands.

Recent articles I am reading are writting about how EPDRF wasnt prepared to step down and how the opposition is very surprised about the current popularity and their not readiness to take over. This is becoming believed by most strong supporters of the opposition including myself.

Therefor, I hope the opposition will take this seriously and form a cabinet ASAP. I have an idea in how to help the opposition regarding the shadow cabinet. ER can dedicate a website specifically dedicated to the shadow cabinet for the opposition and start the speculation even a vote. That would help to spread the news and will play a big roll.

During the contested 2000 US election both Kerry and Bush already started filling up cabinets before the issues were settled.

ER, thank you for bringing this idea and lets do what we can and lest do it NOW,

CONCERNED Amerethiopian

Yes, it is a confidence building step. Falling into a power vacuum for one or the other reason is a nightmare to many.It is high time the opposition formed a shadow cabinate unless it chooses to surprise us with one already formed.
I believe the message from Ethiopian Reveiw will get through and acted upon; again, if the opposition has not addressed the issue already.

Sir - I believe it an excelent idea but, doubt it would come to reality in such a short time. Especially given the young age of the coalitions. It is however the right time to, at least form a comitte that will work for its creation. Besides giving the public confidence on the oposition parties, such a comitee will initiate a healthy discussion among the loosely connected political parties within the coalition and the union. Thanks for bringing it up.

That is a really a wonderfull idea ethiopianreview! You rock! I think it will scare the heck out of EPRDF besides being very useful! You are right it will increase public and international confidence in the opposition. So, is there any way of making sure this reaches the oppositions' attention? That would be fantastic!

God bless!

Ato Abera wrote:

"So are you saying that CUD and UEDF are not ready to take over government? If they are not ready to form shadow cabinet, what makes you think they are ready to take over government? Please explain this to me."
-----------------------------------------
Dear Ato. Abera:

What I am saying is the following:

1. What happened on May 15 and since is truly a democratic and peaceful Cultural Revolution. This revolution is here to stay if nurtured. There fore any tactical move that would side track or undermine the on going process can set events on motion that may be precarious. Therefore, all parties, including EPRDF, should be part of a process that would bring the May 15 election outcome to a mutually verifiable conclusion. There is no zero sum game! I dont like Zero-Sum game. Those for zero sum game should not be allowed to sabotage such a historic event through their sugar coated slogans. Frankly, I don’t want to see a repeat of post 1974 adventures. In light of this, Shadow government has no beneficial role at this time.

2. The opposition camp, meaning CUD, UEDF, and Independent parties and candidates have yet to come to terms with what unites them. Political personalities joining such government must put their party loyalty on the side and serve the leader of the coalition; in this case the PM. Best case scenario, I suppose, would be for one party to win a governing majority and “pawn” some government portfolios to expand its reach. If EPRDF wins fair and square, it should do the same.

3. In deed, it is one thing to form a government; it is another thing to govern. My guess is the opposition is capable of forming government, and learning how to govern in the process. I am simply saying that at this time shadow government has no constructive contribution unless one is ready for confrontational politics.

Hello Ze Ayssinian,
What I mean by "EXCEPT THOSE FALSELY ACUSE ETHIOPIA AS A COLONIZER OF ITS OWN LAND" is that those dejure Ethiopians [behig etyopiawian] but defacto they don't consider themselves as Ethiopians[neger gin behak Ety opiawiyan nen bilew rasachewn yemaykotiru].Specially those alive ones who are trying to divide Ethiopia & Ethiopians. Clear? Otherwise,I don't mean during the formation of Ethiopia. That was the same as the formation of most other countries of the world like Germany,USA,ect.Anyway, as you have stated in your conclusion, let's do our best to our country now & be proud of it,whatever the past was! 1.It sould get rid of the Sheabia's son-EPRDF & its repressive, ethnocentrist & divisive government.2.The opposition form a new government or at least a shadow cabinet.
Thank you,Ze Abyssinian.

This is actully a very good recomondation.

What a great idea!!
I agree and support this noble idea. I will spread this message to all my email groups and my friends. Please can you send this idea to CUD and UEDF to discuss it.
Thanks

The opposition CUD and UEDF can easly fill the shadow cabinet with well qualified people. It would sttrengthen the support they got from the people and build confidence for any concerned body. It also an idication for EPRDF how they are strong if they still don't know. The oppostions are full of educated and exprienced people. Worked for a long time in different position and know the in and out of Ethiopian politics. Whatever position it is, take for example, how on earth can compare DR Birhanu with Addisu .

Email: abebe@hotmail.com

City: DC

I thing it is excellent idea because it would help to ethiopian people to think that the opposition parties are ready to take government position if in case Eritrean Meles Zenawi and his hodam wirinchila true Ethiopian Addisu Legese accept its defeat or viceversa. It is already used in UK. Shadow Ministers are Members of the Opposition. They follow closely, or 'shadow' each Minister's Department. A Shadow Minister needs to know as much as possible about the issues relating to each Government Minister's portfolio as possible.

One of the main duties of a Shadow Minister is to scrutinise the Ministers to make sure they do their job properly.

Shadow Ministers examine bills put forward by the Government and help to decide the Opposition's position on these bills.

Although Shadow Ministers often criticise ministers, there are times when they agree with each other. Outside of Parliament, Shadow Ministers, like other Members of Parliament, spend a lot of time in their electorate and working on committees.

If Woyane accepts the oppostion cheating claims and pass the governmental power to real winners and if the Opposition wins an election and becomes the new government of Ethiopia, Shadow Ministers usually take on the ministerial portfolio that they looked after when they were in Opposition.

Email: akje31@hotmail.com

City: Glasgow

The idea of "shadow cabinet" is unrecomendable to the presente Ethiopian poletics becouse of the following
reasons:-
1.The democratic process in our country is far behaind of that of Greate Britaine to which comparisin has been made to.
2.Ethiopia is a multinational state with diversities of culture,level of economic and social development.
3.The poletical parties themselves including the rulling parties, are not yet well established on democratic principles rather they are organised on some sort of feudal ,ethnical ,or class bases being affilated to dictatershiop.
4.There are only very few parties who are dedicated to build the conscious level of their members as a result of which they tend into veiolence and anarchy.
5.The most important thing is that UEDF is far different from CUD which does not cosider the democratic strugle of nationalits. Had today there would have not been TPLF/EPRDF/ on power the fight would have been between the social democrat wing of "HIBRET" which acommodates the strugle of nationalities aganst "KINIGIT" which promotes one Ethiopia.
6.And don`t forget that Haylu Shawel and EDEPA of CUD were the two founding members of " HIBRET"
Therefor, the idea of the rescent "shadw cabinet" will end in as to say " sirotu yetatekut sirotu yifetal" . Moreover it will not be constructive rather than destructive. Afterall it sugests that the promoter of the idea , the ER , has very little knowlede of polletics. If it may not be insult to these oposition leaders let us hear from them whether or not it is advasible to proceed with the idea of "shadow cabinet" as sugested by ER ?

Email: asimba@hotmail.com

City: washington

What a noble idea
For our beloved Ethiopia!!!!!!!!!!

Lakew

City: Frankfurt

no shadow cabinet needed. let the ethiopians people speak one voice saying we want GOD GIVING FREEDOM NOW!!!! from all over the world.

By your statement in the following paragraph you have allready reached the verdict as Melese's regime is going to power again as meant?(!) Is this an unoficial retreat or kind of unoficial defacto anouncement? Shadow Cabinet is a good IDEA but only on Democratical basis to start with and to be able to live with for ever 6. Having a shadow defense minister who is consistently reminding the military rank and file about their constitutional responsibilities would play a critical role in preventing the Meles regime from unleashing the military's fire power on the people

Email: tasos@macs.gr

City: Athens Greece

It sounds a great idea. This is an opportunity to attack the ethnic and religious issue TPLF is trying to taint the opposition. One needs to show the central role minorities could play in bringing the country together. It is also a way of showing that the opposition is ready to go across aisle even by considering some of EPRDF members/current cabinet members(amongst those at the third tire of the most hated people). I like this idea! My favorite PM for many practical purposes is Dr Beyene. Eventhough he doesn't belong to CUD, he has so many advantages than any of the other candidates, namely: He is the only man EPRDF is not able to taint him with any thing. (Ethnic, dergue, living abroard, personal gains etc..) He is from a minority with no ethnic baggage, Well educated, Dignified, descent consistent and persistent fighter for the betterment of Ethiopia. Charismatic. Experienced in working with the existing system, capable of negotiating with EPRDF. In general he could be a competent statesman . It is good to throw some idea about the other potential members of the shadow cabinet once the point is taken up.

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

You posted your suggestion on June 3 and by June 6 today I am reading that students have been rounded up by the mercenary clique of Meles the traitor. So far you ahve done well in providing updates. So just limit your involvement at this level because otherwise I start to suspect that you consider TPLF 1)Ethiopiawi 2) hager wedad 3) democratic.

DO I HAVE TO GO ON???

I think this is a very good idea. As an Ethiopian living in the United Kingdom for many years, parliamentary governance has proved to be effective and stable. The constitution (except Article 39) will be protected by the ruling party as well as the opposition both acting in the interest of their country and their people. Setting up a strong opposition is as good as governing a country which ultimately gets reward by the voters. As to me both CUD and UEDF should take this great opportunity and provide the Ethiopian electorate a very bright future and influence the decision which is totally unilateral and pro EPRDF. This is the first time that the two main opposition parties have the chance to show what they can do to bring an end to the poverty, hunger and the backwardness we have been known for all over the world and give back the Ethiopian people the pride and courage they deserve. I don’t think five years is a long time in politics and we have been patient for the last 14 years and now we are about to see a break through towards a stable and democratic country which we all dream for provided we support the opposition parties which I believe are not treated as equally as a decent opposition by the ruling party.

Email: esayasgirma@yahoo.co.uk

City: London

It's a wonderful idea.

At last, let they come to a real action other than accusing EPRDF about the poll fraud only. Because this way or the other EPRDF won't give up his power for people's vote. Forming the shadow cabinet will for sure let them go one step forward in to action. If they could create a joint shadow cabinet, it will show the people also that for the first time in Ethiopia rulers could actually lead a nation respecting their differences. And that is a good sign of a democratic government.

For those of you who think that the election was democratic; let me tell you as one of the voters. Only the election day seemed democratic, though it had also some fraud and violence trials in different places. But what is critisized so far by most of the people is not the election day but the post election process. It was clear from the begining that EPRDF has lost, but it tries to cheat the people as if they are stupid and don't have their own brain to think, by distributing different kinds of propagandas. But the people are more matured and smarter than they know them 14 years ago. Whatever EPRDF says, no one will trust him, except the beneficiaries of his power. The people said enough is enough, but EPRDF is dumb to understand that. So something should be done to stop EPRDF from further destoyal of our soul.

By the way, the June 6th demonstration wasn't started by the students ignoring the demonstration ban by EPRDF. Actually, it's EPRDF who ignited the fire to exercise its military power on the public who hate to see it on the next term. The demonstration started when the Federal police went and arrested students from their dorms in the mid-night of June 5th. I hope it's clear for everybody that EPRDF is quiet sure that it lost its power in every sense and this is the only way left to fight against people (by terrorising them).

Dear country fellows, considering this and others I think it's a wise idea to form the shadow cabinet and go forward on real decision making. Otherwise, the public will suffer the ruthless EPRDF's torture.

IF THE OPPOSITION TRIES TO FIX A SHADOW CABINET THAT WILL LEAD TO AN INFIGHT IN AN INSTANT POWER GRAB.
WE KNOW THAT SOME ARE ALREADY CONSIDERING THEMSELVES AS THE NEXT PRIME MINISTRE. WHETHER THEY ARE COMPETENT IS SECONDARY TO THEIR EGO!

LET'S FIRST FINISH TPLF/EPRDF

WEXU SAYWEXEWEX WESKEMBIAW QUXIX!

Email: hilinaye@yahoo.com

City: Mirchaw is not a patriot

It is a good idea, I Hope CUD/UEDF think about it.

God bless Ethiopia

what's the latest on this idea

Forming a shadow cabinet is a serious proposal. In my humble opnion, it would work if a) the opposiiton accepts the same government structure. In the case of Ethiopia, accepting the existing structure would mean the opposition going along with the woyanne structure

MY Hunble Ato Teshaye B.( as Hilu Sahul Called you) I know you are not a boy. You are abssulutly right it will be accepting the Woyane structuer after all I tought you every thing you know. I just regrate I sent you to acommunist country for your education.
We need to stractuer this gov just like we did with PMAC of Etiopia. I say deffence should go former ISAPA members and I do not know abou Hailu as A PM he does not like you me and people such as Negede or for that matter I have some information he also dislikes EPRP either. Any way give me a buzz.

Mengistu Hailemariam, Former Col., Preidant and Still the Chair. of ISAPA And my new party BL

Email: mengstu@zmbzwe.net

City: dc

I was wondering how this could be exploited by the abusive governement media we have in Ethiopia now. Sure, it will be presented as the evidence to "CUD's agenda to overthrow the government by force". We should also remember the pressure that the oppositon is facing from the western diplomats. This may be considered as one form of "inciting violence".
Another issue may be that creating a "shadow" rather than a true cabinet may be considered as an acceptance of defeat and status of an opposition than a ruling party. If we consider that this is going to be a true cabinet, it then means that there needs to be a lot of discussions and negotiations with all who have a stake. This could be a daunting task which can over take every other important problem the opposition has to deal with at this critical time when its leadership capacity is being seriously undermined by TPLF/EPRDF.

In short, while I see the advantage of such an endeavor, I could also see the practical hurdles which probabaly out weigh its benefit.

I think the most important undertaknig now should be to regain the leadership capacity of the opposition which is under serious attack by woyane. I amn't quite sure the benefit of such a move in this regard. I worry it could have a negative impact.

Stregthnening the partnership between the two oppositions should get precedence over other issues.

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

Does that mean they are creating "government in exile"? Are they giving up toppling Meles from his power? Is he too strong for them? Man, I guess after all we are not going to see the demise of weyane in a time we predicted. God knows now how long they will stay on our backs, destroying our nation of course.

Email: *****

City: *****

Gee delusionist! what the heck is shadow government? Ethiopia review going far beyond your limit and swimming in a large ocean have no where to rest. Are you guys nat? if so called opposition create a shadow of government at this point, will be a suicidal to all Ethiopian ethnic groups first of all, build some kind trust among the people we already knew we had huge margin disrespect to each other we all in a different page when it comes to our Country, please slow down Ethiopia review don’t mixed reality with your personal dream.

Email: kerfafa@hotmail.com

City: Gojjam

good idea guys, it will show the woyanes that the change our people need is right around the corner, not far enough like their dreams.
the struggle will continue and end of woyanes is coming sooooooooon.

Email: BRUCK01@EARTHLINK.COM

I Suggest as
Potential Dupty Prime minister: Dr. Beyene Petros
Potential Minster of Justice: Dr. Yaekob H/mariam
Potential Minster of foreign affairs: Dr. Merara Gudina
Potential Minister of information and propaganda:
Ato Lidetu Ayalew
etc.

Email: xxx

City: brussels

I believe a minster should not be MP according to the constitution of Ethiopia. For example Tefera walewa is not MP. But he is a minster. So ethiopian review people dont confuse people by saying that minsters should be elected only. If EPRDF wins we will still see Berket, Dawit(may be he will get one post since he cannot be speaker of the house) , Genet ( Yodit Gudit), and Kassu ilala etc. The IRONY IS WE WILL SEE THESE FACES AGAIN in case EPRDF wins. I think they will not.

Email: wbinyam@yahoo.com

City: AA

Bean,

You are right, non-MPs can be ministers, but normally in a parliamentary system, ministers, particularly those who hold important posts, are MPs.