This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

General Chatter
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Outpatient Cancer Center

The system that I work with purchase an outpatient Cancer Center last summer. I have been doing the purchasing for this department. There is discussion that they should be handling their purchase and not have the inpatient pharmacy take care of this.
I would like to know what most places are doing.
Nina Karl

Name of Facility: Providence St Patrick Hospital

City, State: Missoula Mt

Years as a Buyer: 30+

Re: Outpatient Cancer Center

We have a cancer center pharmacy that is attached to our hospital. They do all of their own purchasing; some from the same wholesaler that we use and some from specialty suppliers.

Name of Facility: Aspirus Wausau Hospital

City, State: Wausau, Wisconsin

Well I will love playing devil’s advocate with this one

Pros- Less work for you. Any shortages will be there issue. If you do have to step in you can help and be "hero" role. Inventory control will also be there issue along with budget, stock rotation, overstock, price updates, generic conversions, no product for patient, borrow and loan, recalls, invoices, product delivery, just in time ordering, and Im sure there are many other things that I could list but just can’t at this time.

Cons- ? Ok I really know a few. But only a couple.

I guess to sum it up. Let them walk in your shoes for awhile. I bet they come back

Name of Facility: Memorial Hospital

City, State: Marysville, Ohio

If you are 340B, you should be ordering the items for them to save money. If not, it can go either way. I run the 340B program at my facility as well as consult with a legal firm that starts up 340B programs. The outpatient chemo area is a huge money saver for the facility.

Name of Facility: Baptist Health Medical Center

City, State: Little Rock, AR

Years as a Buyer: 16