This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

General Chatter
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How many turns do you have in a year?

Inventory turns, as a concept (for me), should be revisited. It is an economics term that I believe has a very relative application in a pharmacy setting. This, for the fact that pharmaceuticals appreciate in price in a much faster rate than the rest of goods. It is seen as one of the maesurements of pharmacy operations although benchmarking has been almost imposible because of the wide variety of hospitals, their locations and services they provide. Lowering inventory, is a one time capital release. It sounds good but then, we have to think what would you do with that capital. In principle this would be a good thing only if that capital brings you more money than the drug price increases. That's when the detailed information comes to play. Ideally we have to cut down on invetory of those drugs that accomplish this. I don't believe this is easy, for the simple fact that we have no idea what happens with the money "saved" from inventory reductions. This discussion can go long. I'm just trying to bring a different line of thinking here.

Name of Facility: IUHB

City, State: Blngt, IN

Years as a Buyer: 7