This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

General Chatter
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Half Tablets

Hi all. Just curious to see how other facilities treat half tablets. We split and package all half tablets prior to sending to the floor and then the half tablets are put into the bin with the whole tablets. I don't have any inventory tracking software so I do a visual inventory every day. It gets annoying having to sort through half and whole tablets on a constant basis. Any ideas? Thanks.

Name of Facility: Roxborough Memorial Hospital

City, State: Philadelphia, PA

Years as a Buyer: 6

Re: Half Tablets

We split our half tabs and pack as well, but keep them in a spearate labeled bin next to the whole tabs. Maybe if you don't utilize bins, they could be place in a plastic bag?

Name of Facility: Goodall hospital

City, State: Sanford, ME

Years as a Buyer: 4

I package half tabs for just a few drugs. I have used a blister style package for my half tabs and my normal packaging machine for my full tabs. This makes a nice visual difference. This works well here. I have in the past used different color bins, like blue are my normal and yellow are my half tabs. Or I also have purchased in the past a bin with a hinged lid that that was designated for the half tabs. So just stay flexible, keep thinking, and if you try something and it doesn’t work. Don’t give up just try something else. The important thing is to think outside of the box and stay flexible.

Name of Facility: Memorial Hospital

City, State: Marysville, Ohio

Years as a Buyer: 30+

A half tablets shouldn't be any different than a different strength. So, if packaging a half tab, it might be better to create a different item and stock it separately. A lot depends on each hospital processes.

Name of Facility: IUHB

City, State: Blngt

Years as a Buyer: 7