This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

General Chatter
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Drug Shortage Information

I am very frustrated trying to keep our nursing unit based pharmacists updated with all of the drug shortage information. I keep a current listing in our department but that does nothing to help them out on the floors. How do you handle this never ending problem?

Name of Facility: Aspirus Wausau Hospital

City, State: Wausau, Wisconsin

Years as a Buyer: 30+

Re: Drug Shortage Information

We sent up to email address on is for the techs and one is for the pharmaicist. You attach their email addresses to the email group.
Also we use Share Point to list all the shortages.

Name of Facility: St Patrick Hospital

City, State: Missoula Mt

Years as a Buyer: 25

Weekly email updates to everyone in the department and those outside the department if needed.

We use Meditech and I also place notes on the drug that the pharmacist will see if he or she goes to enter it on a patient.

Name of Facility: Emanuel Medical Center

City, State: Turlock, Ca

Years as a Buyer: 5

What a good idea! We are also Meditech here. I just did not think about putting a note for the pharmacists on the drug itself. I also send e-mails but with as many shortages we have it is hard to keep track.

Name of Facility: Wilson Memorial Hospital

City, State: Sidney, Ohio

Years as a Buyer: 25+

I currently keep a list compiled that I send to all the staff pharmacists and director once per week that lists the most critical shortages, and include our current stock level in the pharmacy and Pyxis. I also include anticipated ship dates of any/all backorders. If there is a product we are below critical levels then I will bring it up in our morning bed huddle, and we will discuss possible alternatives or solutions as a group.

We are also on Meditech...do you list the shortage note in the non-formulary comments? I like the idea for those pharmacist that work part-time!

Name of Facility: Conway Regional

City, State: Conway, Ar

Years as a Buyer: 1