This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

General Chatter
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Propofol

I was wondering what your facilities doing about the propofol shortage? It is killing me over here.

Name of Facility: Emanuel Medical Center

City, State: California

Years as a Buyer: 5

Re: Propofol

I am not sure if you are able to do this, but Cardinal has allowed me to drop-ship diprivan thru APP. It is allocated, so you are limited to order so much per week. Also, APP rep helped me order directly from the Manufacture. I don't know if you have seen this..APP has Diprivan and Propofol both brand and Generic...well in actuality it is the same product... just packaged differently... if you are really having problem getting this stuff... there is this product called Propoven ..something they used in Europe... You might want to get your Clinical Pharmacists involved in this.. don't forget your friendly neighborhood hospitals... they may be able to help a few boxes here and there until you get your orders in and lastly, there is Secondary Vendors... this got to be your last resort... good luck....

Name of Facility: San Joaquin Community Hospital

City, State: Bakersfield, CA

According to my APP rep, they are filling only back orders with 100% of current production. It would be a really good thing for you to put propfol on back order through your wholesaler ASAP. Eventually, APP will fill it.

Name of Facility: Porter Hospital

City, State: Valparaiso IN

Years as a Buyer: 11

They only let me put 2 boxes of 25 vials on back order. That is enough for my ER for a day.

Is that what you guys were told? Or is the allocation based on previous usage?

Name of Facility: Emanuel Medical Center

City, State: California

Years as a Buyer: 5

The 2 boxes of propofol for your back-order is very common lately. There have been some weeks when I have gotten zero. Just be sure to keep calling your wholesaler and your APP rep every week to have them put you back on the B/O list. You will eventually get more. You can also call Hospira direct and have them put you on their list for shipment when it's available. It may be a while, but at least you might get something when they do have a release. Our facility also is using some Etomidate as a substitute for certain patients.

Name of Facility: Heartland Regional Medical Center

City, State: St. Joseph, Missouri

Years as a Buyer: 24