This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

General Chatter
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Par Levels In Pick Areas

Whenever I come to work Monday morning I have meds to send back because my co-workers on the weekend have ordered too much. Its even worse when I come back from vacation. So I was looking for stickers or a system to put in place, even though McKesson tells the person placing the order what product was last ordered and how many. I was thinking of a sticker that simply had a weekly/daily par level that I could fill in. I guess I could simply make them on microsoft word if there isn't a readily available product. Just wondering how everyone else handles this. I tell them to order the bare minimum but I still have to send meds back. Thanks for the help.

Name of Facility: Roxborough Memorial Hospital

City, State: Philadelphia, PA

Years as a Buyer: 3

Re: Par Levels In Pick Areas

In our facility, we use a small handheld label maker, made by Brother (Model PT-80). It is a simple device that can be found in any Wal-Mart stationary department. The back up buyers I have will monitor the stock levels and order up to the quantity on the label. I tell them that the number on the label is the max quantity. This system helps to avoid overstock like what you are experiencing. Also, talk to your McKesson rep. There are settings available through Supply Mgmt Online which allow you to put reorder quantities and reorder points on your bar coded labels through their program. Good luck!

Name of Facility: Memorial Health System

City, State: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Years as a Buyer: 1+

We also have par levels on the bins. We have bin labels that have our specific mneumonic code (specific to CVMC), the par level and the AmerisourceBergen sticker on the bin label. Of course, these par levels are just "guidelines" as everyone interprets them differently.... the only time I divert from the stated par level is if I know there is a patient on the drug and we are using an abnormally high amount of product.

Name of Facility: Catawba Valley Medical Center

City, State: Hickory, NC

Years as a Buyer: 4

McKesson can actually do shelf labels for you with ROP/ROQ on them. Have your rep help you with it. If you update your asset management system in McKesson connect, it will actually ask if you want to run labels with changes.

Name of Facility: eastern connecticut health network

City, State: manchester, ct

Years as a Buyer: 10+

The wholsesalers PAR levels seem to be high, so be careful, let them know the formula you'd like them to use. I prefer not to use their shelf sticker pars because I frequently change them up and down. I have my wholesaler (Bergen) sticker the shelves and then I use the Avery sticker dots ---- http://www.staples.com/Avery-Round-3-4-Diameter-Print-Write-Color-Coding-Labels-Orange-Neon/product_538116?cmArea=sku_pd_box1 --- and write the PAR number on it and stick it on the corner of the shelf sticker. The number I put on is what I'd like those ordering to bring the par level UP TO. You can ask for privleges to run monthly usage reports through your wholesalers website to help you determine those "dot par numbers". By the way, only PAR's more than TWO get a sticker dot. NO par dot means a back up package and the open package (regardless if only ONE is left in the open package). I hope this is of some help :o)

Name of Facility: Salibas

City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Years as a Buyer: 6

We use a PAR system and I write directly on the shelf tag what the PAR is. I will tell you that you will still have stuff to send back, probably not quite as much. It works ok, and like you I have issues while I am away on vacation and such too. They have gotten better over the years. The other thing I always try to remember is that I do not know how it looked when the order was placed because I did not do the order. Things happen, even when I place the order (the bin is empty but when I go to do the order there is more than there should be for a variety of reasons - ordered qty plus one or 2). I know that is frustrating...just keep the smile on your face.

Name of Facility: St. Francis Health Center

City, State: Topeka, KS

Years as a Buyer: 30+

Utilize ROP and ROQ provided from McKesson Connect. These are based on settings you have to adjust. Look under Order > Administration. Then, have McKesson print labels with Par and Max showing.

Name of Facility: Bloomington Hospital

Years as a Buyer: 5+