Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bar Code Medication Administration

Jennifer,

Below is an outline that might help:

New Product

Bar-coded or Needs to be Repackaged

If Bar-coded:

Build: Product Description, NDC, AWP/unit/ml/mg/etc required; Download information from Multium, First Data Bank Database or like systems; Build shell for product in all pharmacy systems (Order Entry, Dispensing, etc); Forward information to finance/accounting/revenue department to add item to charge master; A facility specific item number is generated and link to the NDC.

Scanning: New Bar-coded product is received and scanned using nursing bar-coding scanning equipment prior to restocking; If scannable restock; If product is not scannable, then further analysis is performed; If product unable to be used in current bar-coded presentation then product will be returned to wholesaler. Product is tested in all systems then activated; New product communicated to all users.

Maintenance: Products that do not scan at the nurses level is communicated to pharmacy via electronic pharmacy communication process, documented, reviewed, and appropriate action is taken. Scanning rates are monitored, documented, and reported to committees meetings, provided to nursing units supervisors, and are tied to nursing evaluations.

If Needs to be Repackaged:

Build: Same as if bar-coded plus item is built in packager system.

Scanning: New Bar-coded product is received, repackaged using facility specific item number, documented in repackaging log and scanned using nursing bar-coding scanning equipment prior to restocking; Product is tested in all systems then activated; New product communicated to all users.

Maintenance: Same as if bar-coded.

Our system stores all NDCs and facility specific item numbers; however, we have a default primary NDC for all items in the pharmacy order entry system. Once a quarter the primary NDC is updated.

Pyxis par-x is linked to facility specific item numbers.

Name of Facility: East Jefferson General Hospital

City, State: Metairie, LA

I have a pdf file that I can send you but my email keeps comming back. Can you post your adress or email me at rponder@ejgh.org

Name of Facility: East Jefferson General Hospital

City, State: Metairie, LA

We scan the wholesaler order each day when it comes in for new barcodes. When I do it I usually know what is a new NDC for us, but since the techs are checking in the order most days, I just make them scan everything.

Name of Facility: Emanuel Medical Center

City, State: Turlock, CA

Years as a Buyer: 4