This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

General Chatter
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Insulin

When the techs deliver for Pyxis or stock outs and see insulin on the counter, they put it back in the fridge. Vials are labeled in the pharmacy with a 'date opened' label. Any open vials found without the appropriate information on them are thrown away (also by the Pyxis techs).
It's a crap shoot on the charges, hopefully most are charged, but I know there are ones that slip through!

Name of Facility: Porter Hospital

City, State: Valparaiso IN

Years as a Buyer: 10

Our techs try to keep up on it but the insulins are always out on the counter and counts are always off in the pyxis. We put the stickers on the vials too but say you check the insulins while you are doing fridge temps and then the next week you check the same insulins and find an opened undated vial. Since you checked the previous week you know it hasn't been a month but you don't exactly know when it was opened. I only started this thread because over the past few months our insulin ordering has been steadily increasing and that leaves me to believe that undated vials are being tossed out on a weekly basis. Just trying to get a handle on the situation before it gets out of control, and save some money of course. Thanks for all of the input.

Name of Facility: Roxborough Memorial Hosiptal

City, State: Philadelphia, PA

Years as a Buyer: 2

We send our insulin up as floor stock and charge the department that it goes to. We put a 28 day expiration sticker on the vial. The nurses and the pharmacy spot check the vials once a week to make sure all the vials are in date. The vials are kept in a plastic container in the med fridge so they are easily accessable by the nurese.

Name of Facility: Provena St. Mary's Hospital

City, State: Kankakee, Illinois

Years as a Buyer: 1