This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

General Chatter
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sod Bicarb bags

We are mixing Sod. Bicarbonate 50ml-3 vials in 1 liter D5. The techs should be pulling out 150ml of dextrose and then adding the bicarb but some do not b/c they are complaining of carpal tunnel. Does anyone else mix this and have any suggestions on making the compounding easier? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Name of Facility: Castle Medical Center

City, State: Kailua, HI

Re: Sod Bicarb bags

I'm not sure of the clinical significance of the 150ml addition of Sodium Bicarb. I know that we do not pull out any IV fluid before injecting the bicarb. We add the 150ml (or whatever it is) to the bags total volume for our nursing staff so that they can accurately program the pumps. I hope this helps.

Name of Facility: Joint Township Distr. Mem. Hospital

City, State: St. Marys, OH

We do not pull out any fluid either. Which makes for a really full bag if adding 150 mL!

Name of Facility: Roxborough Memorial Hospital

City, State: Philadelphia, PA

I'd love for our techs to be able to use NaBic 50mL syringes for those large volume bags instead of the vials, but the price difference is quite a lot! Having worked in the IVRM before, I know how hard it is to pull 50mL from the vial and then squirt into the bag. We don't draw any solution from the bag before adding NaBic.

Name of Facility: Porter Memorial Hospital

City, State: Valparaiso, IN

we have a 10% rule in our hospital, so we do pull out alot of times. anything you put in
that is 10% of the volume of the bag comes out. we do have alot of complaining but it
does not help.

Name of Facility: Avera McKennan Hospital

City, State: Sioux Falls, SD

We buy ours compounded from C.A.P.S.. They now have a 45 day UN-refrigerated expiration. they cost around $10.00 per bag and are worth every penny!

Name of Facility: Good Samaritan Hospital

City, State: Puyallup, WA

What is C.A.P.S. and do they only come in D5?

Name of Facility: Provena St. Mary's Hospital

City, State: Kankakee, IL

This is from their website:
About Central Admixture Pharmacy Services (CAPS)
Founded in 1991, Central Admixture Pharmacy Se rvices (CAPS) is a network of state-licensed, FDA-registered pharmacies providing service to over 500 hospitals and home care customers. From its nationwide locations, CAPS pharmacies operate 365 days a year to admix, dispense, and deliver labeled, patient specific, and anticipatory IV prescriptions. CAPS is a registered trademark of Central Admixture Pharmacy Services, Inc. CAPS is a subsidiary of B. Braun Medical Inc.

Name of Facility: Pharmacy Purchasing Outlook

City, State: San Siego, CA

Years as a Buyer: 30+ (retired)