This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

General Chatter
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Genzyme - Contract

When I have reps that meet with me about products that require me to buy direct to get contract price, I tell them that it is unlike to be added to formulary because of the difficulty in obtaining it. We are trying to streamline as much as possible to buy as much as possible from our wholesaler. It's pretty unreasonable to put that kind of limitation on the contract pricing, but I have seen it lately.

There are several ways you can get around it... if the physician is ordering it, sometimes just telling them it's difficult to obtain and offering a comparable item that is available from the wholesaler will work... other times, we'll actually put an auto-sub in place to reduce needing that item. It all depends on how active and influential your pharmacy is with the physicians and your P&T committee.

Name of Facility: Catawba Valley Medical Center

City, State: Hickory, NC

Thanks Colleen, but this is sort of a specialty item with no alternatives... I would love to restrict it. I am a huge "if I can't get it from Cardinal, you don't need it" kind of girl. However, this is not an option here. And the price difference is significant. Tens of thousands of dollars each year if I don't sign the contract!!! OUCH!

Name of Facility: Arnot Ogden Medical Center

City, State: Elmira, NY

I see - I misread the beginning of your post and didn't realize it's a physician office. Did they keep their office manager? Perhaps he/she could be the one ordering with oversight from you since it's such a specialized item only for their practice?

Name of Facility: Catawba Valley Medical Center

City, State: Hickory, NC