This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

General Chatter
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
340-B, waste, and charging patients.

Hello everyone,

I am a buyer for 3 Cancer Center facilities and along with buying I manage our 340-B savings for the sites I buy at. While looking into some overspending on I found that we are not able to waste on items less than a billable unit. From Apexus I have found legally we can accumulate those items. How we are currently set up, our system will not capture those accumulations. So, I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone have recommendations on how to capture that waste that is less than a billable unit for 340-B accumulation?

2. Is anyone's facility round up to the billable unit and charge the patient for the whole vial? Example: 10mg is the billable unit. You give 7mg and waste the other 3mg.
Your system recognizes that it is less than the billable unit, so it rounds up 10mg billable unit and charges for 10mg.
2a. If so, what does that look like in your system?

Name of Facility: Community Reginal Cancer Centers: North, East, and South

City, State: Indianapolis, IN

Years as a Buyer: 2

Re: 340-B, waste, and charging patients.

Ok I hope this helps. And I have a Medication Assistance area within our dept that worked out the details. One of them was a biller for the hospital. They figured out that you can bill for the waste. So if its a total of 10 billable units. Patient gets 7 units. The other 3 are billed as waste. Now I know that this must be entered into the patients chart. So when we make it we have a sticker that we right the waste on and its applied to the chart. If you need more exact details I can get you in contact with the Med Assistance people. Hope that helps some.

Name of Facility: Memorial Hospital

City, State: Marysville, Ohio

Years as a Buyer: 25+

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for replying! I was hoping someone could tell me what they are doing when
you are giving less then a billable unit. So, 10mg would 1 unit, but you only gave 7mg.
What would you do with the other 3mg because you cannot add a jw modifier to that since it is less than 1 unit. Did I explain that well? Sorry!

Thank you,
Ciara

Name of Facility: Community Reginal Cancer Centers: North, East, and South

City, State: Indianapolis, IN

Years as a Buyer: 2

Look up JW Modifier. You need to chart waste so that you can get reimbursed. The same way, you can accumulate the waste.

Name of Facility: IUHB

City, State: Blngt, IN

Years as a Buyer: 12