This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Communication on Drug Shortages

We do all of the above. I have a list that I prepare each month that goes to the P & T Committee and that list also gets placed at the back of the Want Book clip board and also sent out to all of our clinics and discussed with those Doctors. This is an ongoing issue for many of us.

Name of Facility: St. Francis Health Center

City, State: Acute Care

Years as a Buyer: 5+ in Pharmaceuticals and 25+ in retail hard goods

Re: Re: Re: Re: Communication on Drug Shortages

I think my frustration is that I don't expect techs and pharmacists to remember everything that I see on a daily basis as short or out. What really gets me is that they don't read the notes on the shelves, the postings on board, the communication log--all of the various ways we all try to get the information across.
I just don't know what the answer is!

I tell my director, manager and all the clinical staff when I see a product coming up 'mfg out' for a few days to see if they have suggestions for alternatives.

I have the surgery directors at all of our facilities, as well as the chief anesthesiologist on a email contact list and ask for their input as well; same with the radiology staff. Usually I hear back from them with some kind of info. That helps a lot.

Name of Facility: PORTER

City, State: acute care

Years as a Buyer: 9+

Re: Communication on Drug Shortages

Ruth -

I don't think there is an answer - you're doing everything you can, but when push comes to shove, its easier to claim ignorance.

Re: Re: Communication on Drug Shortages

By now, I'm sure you all realize that there is no sure-fire, 100% effective method of communicating shortages to your staff. Even if you could stand next to every single co-worker everyday, all day long (omnipresence) and let them know in advance that what they're about to pull is backordered (omniscience), you would still get some of your staff wondering why the bin is empty. The only thing you can do is to use the method that is most effective for your staff and accept the fact that there will always be a few who won't get the message.

To those people, I would suggest you staple the outs list to their forehead!

Name of Facility: Pharmacy Purchasing Outlook

City, State: Newsletter

Years as a Buyer: 30+ (retired)

Re: Re: Re: Communication on Drug Shortages

Currently I have a chalk board in our break room that says "BACK ORDERED ITEMS do not lend!!!! Everyone comes in the back room at some time during the day so it is the best place to have it posted. I also put big orange dots on the bins and type up a report once a month for the P&T meeting. It works pretty well here and it is funny because during the day while I'm working (I temporarily have my desk in the breakroom until we get our new pharmacy) I will see someone poke their head in to look at the board. Others will come and ask me if the item is on backorder. I try very hard to keep everyone informed. I make sure that our director and asst. director know immediately if something is going to be short.

Name of Facility: Palos Community Hospital

Years as a Buyer: 18+ (tx 35 yr)