This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Levothyroxine injection

Has anyone found any extended stability information on the Levothyroxine inj.? We are wasting a lot of drug throwing it away. Not in Trissels,and Bedford Labs wasn't any help.

Name of Facility: Good Samaritan Hospital

City, State: Hospital

Years as a Buyer: 30

Re: Levothyroxine injection

According to Facts and Comparisons:

Reconstitution:
Reconstitute the lyophilized levothyroxine sodium by aseptically adding 5 mL of 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP only. Shake vial to ensure complete mixing. Use immediately after reconstitution. Do not add to other IV fluids. Discard any unused portion.

Parenteral drug products should be inspected visually for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration, whenever solution and container permit.

Storage / Stability: Store dry product at controlled room temperature 15° to 30°C (59° to 86°F). Protect from light.

Years as a Buyer: 2

Thanks, But I was looking for EXTENDED stability information.

That's my point... there is no extended stability... everything says discard immediately.

For all to share.
I found this in Micromedex....See the following

1) INTRAVENOUS - PIGGYBACK

a) ........... Stability tests have indicated that levothyroxine is stable for up to 48 hours following reconstitution, if retained in the original vial.......

Does it need refrigeration? Our Micromedex last night said discard immediately... Our techs will be happy if I can find this info as well.

It is listed under the "Admistration" section "Intravenous - piggyback". It doesn't say to refrigerate, but we will be refrigerating it.