This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Insulin Pens

We have been considering using insulin pens for a year or so now, but can't seem to make a final determination. Many of our common insulins are currently floorstock on the nursing units, allowing a vial to be "shared" amoung multiple Pts. Seems as though if we switch to pens, we would have to send patient specific. This automatically leads me to believe that our spend will increase. Be also taking into consideration the infection control issues, convenience for nursing, and charging issues, it may balance out. Does anybody have any words of wisdom?

Name of Facility: Allegheny General Hospital

City, State: Acute - 800 beds

Years as a Buyer: 7

Re: Insulin Pens

I have heard that some hospitals are using the syringe cartriges instead of vials, apparently you can draw the insulin out of the cartriges just like a vial.

Name of Facility: Good Samaritan Hospital

City, State: Hospital, Acute care

Years as a Buyer: 30yrs

We use community vials for several reasons...

1. It's easier to stock because it takes up less room
2. As someone who has pulled meds for multiple patients, its easier to draw up the dose you need and stick it in the bag with the rest of that persons meds, rather than try to carry around 3 or so insulin pens. As long as your nurses are wiping the vial whe they draw it up and you're adhering to the 28 day expiration, you shouldn't have an IC issue. We charge by the unit in Pyxis so we don't have any patient charge issues.

Years as a Buyer: 2

Re: Re: Insulin Pens

We also use community vials and charge through Pyxis.

As a check and balance, when the pharmacy techs do daily Pyxis fills, they check insulin vials, expecially the ones found on the counter or on top of the Pyxis machine, for dating. They take any vial that has no date. It is replaced to the floor and charged to the floor, as well. Some think having the floor pay for an undated vial reminds them to follow procedure--I'm not so sure about that.

Name of Facility: PORTER

City, State: acute care

Years as a Buyer: 9+

We switched to pens about a year ago due to Diabetes Point of Care recommendation.
Several issues:
They take up more room in my fridge.

We use tamper evident bags so we know if they have used the pen - otherwise you are throwing away full pens. IE - More $ going out the door.

Regular insulin only comes in the Innolet system which is HORRIBLE and the Nurses hate it.

We still have to stock vials for drips, TPNs, Maternity, pediatrics, etc.

What a mess.

Name of Facility: Arnot Ogden Medical Center

City, State: Acute Care 256 beds

Years as a Buyer: 7