This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Conference ettiquite question-do not publish

I think I spelled ettiquite wrong....but my question is...if you don't normally deal with a particular vendor, is it inappropriate to attend an event sponsored by them? For example, I have never purchased anything from Med-Search, but they are sponsoring something on Monday evening. For people who are new to the Conference, what are some general rules? Are there rules?

Name of Facility: Allegheny General Hospital

City, State: Acute - 800 beds

Years as a Buyer: 7

Re: Conference ettiquite question-do not publish

You should absolutely go! That is why they sponsor these events, to make new contacts and try to earn your business. I think you should visit with any vendors, and attend any events that you so desire. Networking is what it's all about.

Name of Facility: Heartland Regional Medical Center

City, State: Hospital

Years as a Buyer: 22

Re: Conference Etiquette Question-do not publish

When a company sponsors a function like an Opening Reception, it makes no matter if you are a client or not. For example, when a company sponsors a function for, say, ASHP, they mean to include anyone who can attend. That's not to say they won't approach you and talk to you about their company, but it's usually a low-pressure-could-I-have-your-business-card type of conversation. The purpose of a function like this is create good will, not pressure you like a timeshare hard sell.

At one meeting I attended, Baxter loaded everybody who wanted to go (about 3,000) onto buses, and took us to a theater in downtown Atlanta. There we were treated to popcorn and beer, and the Rich Little Revue. No one asked it you were a Baxter customer. A function like that is made to get their name out there and make you feel good about that company. Now, there may be functions at the Conference for specific customers by companies, but they are by invitation only and not advertised to the General Attendance. But the Opening Reception by Med-Search, as well as any other function advertised by Summerdale Enterprises, Inc. and Pharmacy Purchasing Outlook is for the General Attendance. There are also Hospitality Events being Sponsored on Tuesday & Wednesday evening, as well, by Bioniche Pharma on Tuesday, and AmerisourceBergen, ASD Healthcare, and American Health Packaging, on Wednesday. The same goes for their events.

Enjoy yourself!

Name of Facility: Pharmacy Purchasing Outlook

City, State: Newsletter

Years as a Buyer: 30+