This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is Your Profession Nearing Its Expiration Date?

I realize I am late entering this discussion, but am new to PPO and will be attending the conference in August for the first time.

My background is similar to others who have written earlier, as I have worked in various capacities on the business side of healthcare, and my bachelor's degree is in Accounting, and I'm also a CPA.

My director hired me specifically because I have a strong background in business and analysis. I have spent much of the last year learning pharmacy as well as learning what this position is all about. I will be sitting for the CPhT in August or September.

I agree with the rest of you that it's important for us to distinguish ourselves as purchasing professionals. What we do for our pharmacies is very important, and is distinct and separate from those duties carried out day-to-day by technicians.

Please include me in the continued discussions about creating a separate designation for pharmacy buyers.

Thank you for the information about certified buying professionals.

Name of Facility: Hays Medical Center

City, State: hospital

Years as a Buyer: 1.5

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is Your Profession Nearing Its Expiration Date?

Welcome to the front lines!

We discuss a lot of topics here, so if you have something on your mind, or want to get something off your chest, your "ears" are here. This is the one place where we keep the spirit of the Conference and Networking alive all year round.

Welcome to the gang!

Name of Facility: Pharmacy Purchasing Outlook

City, State: Newsletter

Years as a Buyer: 30+

Re: Is Your Profession Nearing Its Expiration Date?

Don't publish:
I am not a Pharmacy Tech, nor does my DOP want me to be. I am strictly the Purchasing Analyst. He doesn't want me assuming any tech duties at all.

I have an Associates in Business Administration and a Bachelors in Poli Sci. However, neither degree is considered into my Labor Grade. Nor is the amount of responsibility I have within our department/institution. I sit on one obscure committee that has no bearing on my job/profession at all. I wish I was able to sit on more important committess. However, even the reports I run monthly, I am not allowed to send to anyone by my DOP. He has to forward to the VP, because I don't have the "status" to communicate with her directly. Can you believe it?

I would love for someone in administration here to take me and my daily duties more seriously. If becoming certified in purchasing will do that, I am all for it. However, I won't take the CPhT test, as my boss doesn't want the hospital to lower my current labor grade... sad, eh?

Keep these certification comments going. I would love to have more amunition for more $.

Name of Facility: Arnot Ogden Medical Center

City, State: Acute Care 256 beds

Years as a Buyer: 7

Re: Is Your Profession Nearing Its Expiration Date?

I just went online to look at the ISM Certification. It is extremely expensive, if you are not going to receive compensation from your facility, either in tuition reimbursement, or salary compensation.

It seems like a great program and it requires you to complete several hours of CE to maintain your certification (84 over 5 years). However, I couldn't find online, whether there were criteria for the CE (ie would our Conference CE count towards the total).

I am truly interested in certification. I guess I just didn't know how much it costs to get started. Whoa!

Name of Facility: Arnot Ogden Medical Center

City, State: Acute Care 256 beds

Years as a Buyer: 7

Re: Re: Is Your Profession Nearing Its Expiration Date?

Jennifer,

Give me a call and I will try to answer some of your questions. 504-456-8066

Name of Facility: East Jefferson General Hospital

City, State: Acute Care Hospital

Years as a Buyer: 6