This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rabies Vaccine Shortage

What is everyone doing about the Rabies Vaccine shortage? The season hasn't even started and already the manufacturers are out.

Sanofi is only selling Imovax to providers that can prove they have a post-exposure need. Rabavert is just listed as long term backorder with no known release date...

We use approximately 100 doses over the three month summer season here. I am really concerned.

Name of Facility: Arnot Ogden Medical Center

City, State: Acute Care 256 beds

Years as a Buyer: 7

Re: Rabies Vaccine Shortage

Am not sure this will help a lot but on May 5, ASHP reported on the status of this shortage. Here is the link:
http://www.ashp.org/s_ashp/bulletin.asp?CID=1500&DID=1544&id=331

Name of Facility: Summerdale Enterprises, Inc.

Re: Rabies Vaccine Shortage

Thanks Dale, but that was on the Rabies Immune Globulin, not Vaccine.
I found out after many phone calls the reason for the shortage and what we have to do in order to get any vaccine. If people haven't gotten the letter from the DOH or Sanofi, let me know and I can email it to you.

Name of Facility: Arnot Ogden Medical Center

City, State: Acute Care 256 beds

Years as a Buyer: 7

Re: Re: Rabies Vaccine Shortage

Jen,

I have not been able to get any other than with an exposure. I have applied for more drug and it was approved and on the way. I should get the Imovax today. I was able to apply for the future doses for the patients who had the first dose post exposure.

Name of Facility: Robert Packer Hospital

City, State: Acute Care Hospital

Years as a Buyer: 3

Re: Re: Re: Rabies Vaccine Shortage

What sort of documentation is needed to get product post-exposure? And, are you able to place orders 24/7 for overnight shipment? One more question, does anyone have the contact information for Novartis to call when you have an exposure?
Thanks!

Name of Facility: St. Joseph Mercy Hospital

Years as a Buyer: 2+

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rabies Vaccine Shortage

What I am seeing is that Novartis has NOTHING! Sanofi will fax the 2-page form to complete. Basic info, number of doses needed and a doctor's signature is required. I faxed my completed forms yesterday and received the Imovax today.

Name of Facility: PORTER

City, State: acute care

Years as a Buyer: 9+

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rabies Vaccine Shortage

We called Sanofi and requested the paperwork to get the vaccine because of exposures. They will fax you the paperwork. You need to complete your site info and the number of post exposures you had and how many vaccines you are requesting. I was able to request the total numbers of vaccines to finish all the therapies. I received the drug the next day. It was actually very easy and hasslefree.

Name of Facility: Robert Packer Hospital

Years as a Buyer: 3

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rabies Vaccine Shortage

Correction to earlier message that Novartis had NO Rebavert. Thye, too, are limiting purchases for post-exposures only.
Sorry for the misinformation!

Name of Facility: PORTER

City, State: acute care

Years as a Buyer: 9+

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rabies Vaccine Shortage

I contacted Novartis late last week. I was told that they were "not in a back-order situation" but rather were limiting doses to post-exposure. You cannot place orders directly with Novartis, but you can place drop ship orders through your wholesaler. I was able to place an order for 4 doses of Rabavert through McKesson yesterday. When I spoke with the McKesson rep they said I could only order the number of doses needed to complete the therapy. So...keep that in mind when you are calling your wholesaler. I have not seen the order be delivered yet. If any problems arise and I don't get my order, I will put up another posting.

Name of Facility: St. Joseph Mercy Hospital

Years as a Buyer: 2+