This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Inventory Turns

I am interested on how inventory turns are calculated by other hospitals.

We use total purchases minus department charges divided by inventory on-hand.

Are all areas of the pharmacy in inventory.

Name of Facility: NC Baptist Hospital

City, State: Medical Center/Teaching

Years as a Buyer: 25

Re: Inventory Turns

We calculate it the same way... we don't include the meds in our Pyxis machines though, we consider those "dispensed" to the floor.

Years as a Buyer: 2

Re: Re: Inventory Turns

I am not sure how you can not count your Pyxis inventory with your total count as it is part of my Pharmacy inventory until it's dispensed to a patient. We have 23 machines and I would love not to have to count it as part of my inventory. It's a large portion of your total inventory if you have very many machines. It's really easy to run the reports whatever system you may have. You can do a hospital wide report or inventory in each machine. I compare my reports every year as to what stock may be excessive, etc and make an adjustment if needed.

Name of Facility: NFP

City, State: Hospital

Years as a Buyer: 30

Inventory turns are becoming a "war" or a "bragging point" for directors and buyers although inventory turns are so relative and facility specific. I have had so many discussions on this topic and now don't consider it something to be so hung up on (my opinion). If drugs go up 10% a year and your facilities would make around that much or less if it were to invest that money in other areas, there is no point in even talking about inventory turns anymore. It may be more, but this is the basic.

Name of Facility: Bloomington Hospital

Years as a Buyer: 2+

We just don't, never have. Its something I was told when I started here... one less thing I've got to worry with.

I am concerned with our turns because our technicians don't understand the concept of "inventory management" and we're having a lot of trouble with excessive ordering.

Years as a Buyer: 2