This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How do I get into buying?

Can you tell I am new to this site? It looks like I should have picked the radio button to the left,not to the right.

I also wanted to add that I live in Texas. Who would be the major players who hire pharmacy buyers?

Re: How do I get into a buying?

Well, you've got the two components for the job: you're a tech and you have buying experience. But you'll need more than that to be attractive to an employer.

First of all, it's good to be certified. Pharmacy Directors zero in on the 'CPhT' after your name when looking for a new hire. Now there's federal legislation in Congress that may REQUIRE you to have a CPhT in order to work in a Pharmacy (see this month's PPO editorial). If you're looking for that position in your present pharmacy, you might get away without one for a while. Without it, you'll more than likely end up on the 'File to Trash' pile.

After that, the usual resume and references should get your foot in the door.

The employment sites are finally coming around to listing Pharmacy Buyer positions, but it's still hit or miss. I just did a Google on Pharmacy Buyer, and a couple of pages of jobs across the country popped up. Chances are, there may be one in your area. Although Pharmacy Buyers are usually promoted from the ranks of their current employers, a new trend is beginning, and right now it's only the tip of the iceberg. Once Monster.com and CareerBuilders.com start putting up Pharmacy Buyer positions separate from Pharmacy Technicians, we'll see how many Directors will be hiring from the outside, just like every other medical position. Right now, though, you'll just have to troll the Search Engine sites to find a position in your area.

Happy Hunting!

Name of Facility: Pharmacy Purchasing Outlook

City, State: Newsletter

Years as a Buyer: 30+

Re: Re: How do I get into a buying?

Thank you for your response. I am certified with the PTCB and the state. The company I am working for right now does not have buyer positions (s). I also have a degree. I am trying to figure out how I can combine all these things to get into a buying position. I will try your suggestion and try the search engines.

Thank you!

Mike - your response is interesting. I am neither certified, nor a tech, yet I was the first person considered when our Purchasing position was created. In fact, it wasn't even posted, they just changed my position into a hybrid of sorts, and "promoted" me. Somedays, I feel like it was a demotion.
I actually have a bachelors in nothing related to pharmacy or purchasing. I was hired here some time after college as a Secretary. As the Secretary, it was my responsibility to call in all orders, talk to reps, help the RPh when they couldn't figure out where to buy something... I guess I was just the logical choice. Here I am 10 + years later, doing my job and no one questions that I am not a tech...
Am I that odd in our profession?

Name of Facility: Arnot Ogden Medical Center

City, State: Acute Care 256 beds

Years as a Buyer: 7

Actually, you're the classic example of the "Pharmacy Buyer Assimilation Manuever". Before I became the Pharmacy Buyer for one of my hospitals, the department Secretary did the ordering (I didn't really replace her - she was promoted to Human Resources Manager), so I took over the Purchasing and the office work.

That's the way it's been, but as Pharmacy Buyers get more credibility and recognition, promoting from within the department may go the way of hiring Technicians out of Housekeeping (no offense to Housekeeping), and Pharmacies are putting Help Wanted ads out for Pharmacy Buyers. And that's where the Certification Preferred statements come into play.

And now, with Emily's Act being endorsed by four states, certification may be a requirement, not a choice. It's got the support of ASHP, though they have issues with the quota requirements (as they always have).

So, the statement that having your certification is an attractive plus pertains mainly to prospective Buyers applying as a new hire, not an internal (and usually lateral)"promotion".

Re: Re: Re: How do I get into a buying?

For the longest time, I have looked at a this job with a different perspective. To me this is a business. We are bound by a little more laws than any other business but it is a business!

What is interesting is that the "decision makers" do not understand nor do they comprehend what what we do.

I recently found this site on Careerbuilder check it out.

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?IPATH=JEVHRA&jrjob=true&Job_DID=J3F4L764HCM2MNQXY41

Name of Facility: Teaching Trauma Hospital

Years as a Buyer: 6 Years

Re: Re: Re: Re: How do I get into a buying?

Thanks for that careerbuilder site. I will ck it out!

It's interesting... I have never worked as a pharmacy technician, but I'm a CPhT because at my previous job, I supervised the techs and RPhs, but we were over the ratio limit (I was registered with the BOP in case they need help when they were busy) so someone had to get their CPhT to bring the ratio back under the limit.

My bachelors (non pharmacy related) and my business experience running that pharmacy were what got me this job. However, there's quite a learning curve in hospital pharmacy... lots of drugs I didn't know and had to learn and lots of paperwork also that I'd never had to work with before. Your experience would likely attract a hospital looking for a buyer, so keep your eyes open, or be proactive and send your resume to some DOPs...

City, State: Teaching hospital

Years as a Buyer: 2

Colleen,
Was it tough to get certified, not being a tech? I know about the drugs, etc. I can do the paperwork in my sleep (and sometimes do). However, I am not sure I could pass the certification, nor want to keep it up (cost not paid by the hospital I work at).

Name of Facility: Arnot Ogden Medical Center

City, State: Acute Care 256 beds

Years as a Buyer: 7

It wasn't bad... I took a day-long prep class that was a prep for people taking the exam or CE for currently certified techs. It really wasn't too bad... the pharmacy I ran was free for indigent patients, but was a retail style setting, so I just made sure I was comfortable with drug calcs (my alegbra teacher always said I'd use it someday!) and the paperwork and I passed my first time.

Don't forget the Law questions. If you can breeze through the Food and Drug Act of 1906 and figure out valid DEA numbers, to name a few, those questions might be enough to give you a better edge. But they may (or should) be covered in a PTCB test prep class, as Colleen mentioned.

As for the CE... between the PPO conference and the 340B and GPO meetings/conferences I attend, I get enough CE for 2-3 recert cycles (unfortunately it just gets "wasted" since you can't rollover )