This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spiriva Handihaler Shortage

Is anyone else having a problem keeping Spiriva Handihalers in stock? We buy box after box, use the handihaler (RN loses original, patient loses original, family takes original - who knows) and we have tons of sleeves of caps sitting on the shelf.

Our Rep was bringing us cases of placebos, however, she stopped that last year sometime. She said they are no longer shipping them to her, so she has no options.

I personally think they are doing it so we buy more product. But that is my cynical side coming out.

Please advise if you have an option that works for you. Thanks in advance.

Name of Facility: Arnot Ogden Medical Center

City, State: Acute Care 256 beds

Years as a Buyer: 7

Re: Spiriva Handihaler Shortage

Do you use the one with 5 caps? So far, I've not had a problem with them, thank heaven, because we also give them out like candy.
One solution we have is that rather than sending the inhaler to the floor, we have to page the Respiratory Dept. to tell them we have an inhaler ready for Joe Blow, they pick it up and instruct the patient. We seldom have capsules left over. It has always kind of bothered me that we keep the caps and send them to another patient since someone else has already paid for them.
I don't know if the resp tech stresses the importance of keeping track of the inhaler when they teach or what.

Name of Facility: PORTER

City, State: acute care

Years as a Buyer: 9+

Re: Spiriva Handihaler Shortage

We used to buy Spiriva with the 60 tablets and had the same problems that you are having. So we switched to the smaller 5 tablet box. If our RNs loose the handi-inhaler we just charge for another Spiriva box. and send it up. We also let the RNs know that the patient will be charged

Name of Facility: DELNOR COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Years as a Buyer: 4

Re: Re: Spiriva Handihaler Shortage

We also use the 5 cap package and have to send and charge the patients for lost ones. But get this, I have had some of the loose returned caps inadvertently put into my "expired drug area" (we use EXP for expired drugs) and they actually gave us credit for the extra capsules. We were discarding them after the patient left. So now I have all of the loose capules saved and return them with my expired drugs for credit. Maybe it is a goof up on thier part, but hey, why not!

Name of Facility: Good Samaritan Hospital

City, State: Hospital, Acute care

Years as a Buyer: 30yrs

Re: Re: Re: Spiriva Handihaler Shortage

That's good to know since I use EXP, too! I'll keep those extras from now on!

Name of Facility: PORTER

City, State: acute care

Years as a Buyer: 9+