This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pharmaceutical Waste Management Implementation

The one authority I know is Charlotte Smith of PharmEcology. She's spoken at several PPN Conferences and is very knowlegdeable on the latest laws and procedures in Waste Management.

Her website is http://www.pharmecology.com/pedd/jsp/static/a4_associates.jsp. Her email is also there, so you can contact her directly. Tell her you're a PPO subscriber, that might get you a better reception.

Name of Facility: Summerdale Enterprises, Inc.

City, State: Publishing

Years as a Buyer: 30+

Re: Re: Pharmaceutical Waste Management Implementation

Mike is correct Charlotte is excellent. Check out the Hospitals for a Healthy Environment web site www.h2e-online.org too. This site has a 10 step blue print as well as a checklist to see where you are as a hospital. Here are some other resources:

www.safersolutions.org
www.pharmecology.com
www.epa.gov
www.cdc.gov - look NIOSH
Covidien/Kendall is a good resource
www.ASHP.org

Also, your state Department of health & environment will have regulations that apply also.

Please keep in mind, this is not only a Pharmacy issue. It involves the entire hospital.

Name of Facility: St. Francis health Center

City, State: Acute

Years as a Buyer: 4+ in Pharmacy 25 in retail hard goods

Re: Re: Re: Pharmaceutical Waste Management Implementation

Thanks for the info. Will check out the websites. Know that it is hospital wide, and think it will be much harder for floors to become compliant than it will be for the pharmacy.

Name of Facility: Fremont Area Medical Center

City, State: hospital

Years as a Buyer: 30+

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pharmaceutical Waste Management Implementation - Do Not Print

A couple of weeks ago I went to a Hospitals for Healthy Environment Workshop for EPA region 7. This was extremely informative. Just a word of caution, the whole RCRA (hazardous waste) program is NOT JUST A PHARMACY ISSUE. It is a whole hospital issue. It takes having a multi department committee, a plan, education and implementation. Our state health & environment department now has regulations on a disc as well as the EPA has a disc. I have learned a lot. By the way, as the Pharmacy Buyer, I am the co-chair of our committee here at the hospital with the Environmental Care Manager.

I really think that we need to hear more about these topics at next years PPO conference. JCAHO will most likely have a patient safety goal in 2009.

Name of Facility: St. Francis health Center

City, State: Acute

Years as a Buyer: 4+ in Pharmacy 25 in retail hard goods