This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Drug Recalls

No Computerized format her. We just go looking for the meds and file the paperwork. I would be interested in knowing what other Buyers have done in way of computerizng.

MZ

Name of Facility: Kern Medical Center--222 beds

City, State: Teaching Acute care Trauma II

Years as a Buyer: 5

You can view some of the policies of some facilities on the net by searching under something like "drug recall procedure, hospital" where I found examples of various recall policies used by some hospitals.

Another area I found is an FDA source of all recalls that you can subscribe to over the net:

http://www.fda.gov/po/enforceindex/2007enforce.html

This is an example of how a Pharmacy Buyer needs to be able to access Internet sites that can provide vital and important information. We have heard that a lot of buyers are restricted from using the Internet at work and that is truly short sighted since a well informed buyer is a better buyer. I don't know of specific computerized recall systems, but I am sure someone out there is using one and can inform us about it.

Name of Facility: Editor-In-Chief, Pharmacy Purchasing Outlook

City, State: Newsletter

There's a link on the Pharmacy Buyers Resource page on the website called A Drug Recall. It's a useful tool, though it does focus more on the 'sexy' drugs, the ones in the news and on the lawyer commercials on TV.
Nonetheless, it does have a running list of drugs that have been recalled. If you need a 'quick and dirty' reference, that could be a place to check.

Name of Facility: Summerdale Enterprises, Inc.

City, State: Publishing

Years as a Buyer: 30+

Re: Re: Drug Recalls

We have started using ECRI Alerts Tracker. See the website at www.ecri.org . It is still kind of new for us, but they send out alerts for recalls on meds and also any medical devices, tubing sets, iv pumps, etc.
I get a weekly e-mail notice for any new alerts, then I can choose to take action/do follow up, or mark it as n/a if it's not a medication item. This system works hospital wide for many departments like BioMed, purchasing, storeroom, OR, dietary, and pharmacy. You can check it out. -DH

Name of Facility: Heartland Regional Medical Center

City, State: Acute-Care Hospital/Clinics

Years as a Buyer: 21

Re: Re: Re: Drug Recalls

I keep a spreadsheet with all the backorders listed just in case I'm ever questioned about a particular med. It is my responsibility to check our shelves and Pyxis machines for any recalled meds.

Name of Facility: Washington Hospital Pharmacy

Years as a Buyer: 23