This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Narcotic delivery system

I need to know how you deliver you narcotics to the floors to put in the pyxis machines. Do you have a special cart? Locked? Not locked? Right now we just use brown envelopes and I'm positive that's probably not the right way. I would appreciate any feedback Thank you so much

Name of Facility: 450

City, State: Acute Care Hospital

Years as a Buyer: 6

Re: Narcotic delivery system

Our technicians take it up with them when they restock Pyxis, its not separated from the rest of the drugs that are selected for that floor. When we send narcotics up on the conveyor, we have locking lids for those and we notify a staff member on that floor that its on its way. When the meds for Pyxis are pulled (or unpacked from Cardinal Assist), we put them in a plastic bag per floor, so its just in there with everything else. It never leaves the control of the technician until its loaded into Pyxis so there isn't really a need to secure it.

Name of Facility: CVMC - 270 beds

City, State: Teaching

Years as a Buyer: Almost 1!

Re: Narcotic delivery system

We do two separate runs for Narcotics. Technicians take only the narcotics. As for your question about having a secured tote or such, we have smaller bins that we put each floor in and cart it upstairs. All narcotics are sent up via Pyxis.

Name of Facility: Kern Medical Center--222 beds

City, State: Trauma II

Years as a Buyer: 4

Re: Re: Narcotic delivery system

Thank you for your response. We have done that too.

Name of Facility: 450

City, State: Acute Care Hospital

Years as a Buyer: 6

Re: Re: Narcotic delivery system

We stock out narcotics at 9am and then stock the "regular" drugs at 10am. As far as stocking goes we seperate into locations and then a tech goes and stocks into Omnicell. Like the previous poster stated, the tech is in constant supervision of natcotics until they are stocked.

Name of Facility: Arkansas Heart Hospital/100+

Years as a Buyer: 5+